Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I never thought I'd say this

But im having a great time playing. Ive never really liked LOTRO in the past when ive tried it. This time its different....

Anyways, any tips for a captain just starting out? What tradeskills are good? What are some quest packs i should work on getting first?

Anything else a Lotro new needs to know?

Comments

• Vlad_TepesVlad_Tepes Member Posts: 47

A great game. If you haven't already find yourself a good guild. There are a lot of them out there, and they tend to be very helpful to the new player. All in all one of the best MMO communities I've ever seen.

Also, on your minimap is a button "MYLOTRO". This is your best friend in game. Opens an in game browser, which does cause some lag at first, but once open, in the upper right hand corner is a search bar. Type in anything, quest name, npc name, deeds, etc and it will answer just about any question you have.

Good hunting to you, have fun.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Neiken

But im having a great time playing. Ive never really liked LOTRO in the past when ive tried it. This time its different....

Anyways, any tips for a captain just starting out? What tradeskills are good? What are some quest packs i should work on getting first?

perhaps you can suggest what is different for you so that others who had a bad experience might reconsider?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166

Dont know for captains but for tradeskills for beginer best thin i think its Explorer (taylor,forester and woodworker) gathering skills so you can make some gold easy

For quest pack my sugestion its next:

Evendim 32 to40 +

Forochel 42 to 52 lvl

Eregion 52 to 57 lvl, then you have expansion Moria but i sugest you to look on lotro site  what quest pack gives you if you pre order Roi Epick edition so you can save som $$$

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

Originally posted by Sovrath

perhaps you can suggest what is different for you so that others who had a bad experience might reconsider?

I think it has to do with a few things.

When I tried Lotro for the first time, I felt the animations were clunky and the class I tried( I think it was a Hobbit Burglar) wasnt fun to me. I leveled to 5 but decided it wasnt for me. This was around the time they first introduced the trial.

I stayed with WoW, which I have been back and forth on since launch. Its just stale now though, and anyone whos played MMO's as long as I have understand where im coming from. Theres nothing Blizzard can introduce in WoW thats gonna get me to sub for more than 2 months anymore. I dont care if they let me roll a Murloc Vodoo Mage.

The second time I tried Lotro was during a burn out of WoW. I tried a Race of man champion at that time, but still didnt feel the game was right for me. I didnt care for that class either.

After a few more years of WoW, being completely burnt out, I contemplated subbing to Lotro right before Lotro announced the F2P model they currently use. I really felt that I hadnt given Lotro a fair shot, but at the time I was very anti-F2P and never really considered a F2P game worth investing a lot of time into, so when I found out they were flirting with a F2P model and gonna run with it, I crossed it off my list

That changed later when I got into Runes of Magic after giving it a 2nd chance. It was the first F2P I actually invested money and a conderable amount of time into. The Free for All PvP server was awesome for a while, and I bought a lot of Equipment binders, a mount, and some upgrade items last year. It made my position on F2P games lighten a bit as a result. I had a lot of fun 1-40 on RoM.

After that I lost interest in RoM when I realized how much money I was gonna need to invest once endgame came, and had no interest seriously rolling a new character.

In between this time line, and before and after it, you can add in every F2P and P2P title you can probably think of. Ive played just about everything from Eq and Daoc to Ragnarok online, and Priston Tale. Ive tried everything thats launched into open beta, and closed beta "key give aways". Mostly out of curiousity and to see if anyone has stumbled upon a feature that everyone should adopt.

Rift launched after I quit playing RoM and I tried and liked it. I hit endgame and stopped and thought...im not grinding any more rep in ANY mmo, Im out. I was ready for epic invasions and World PvE awesomeness at endgame. Rep grinds? Were they serious? This is "Next-Gen" endgame? Tryhardernexttimeplzkthxbai.

Ive been bouncing around ever since, and playing Cata one 7 day trial at a time. Really interesting how they reworked the old world. Wont sub again though this expansion. Ive also been playing Ragnarok Online again(it was my first and the one I wont let go till either it or I die)

On a whime yesterday, being my saturday, i decided i'd give Lotro another shot. I dont know if its the Captain class, the feel of the game now that im older and more mature, or what, but its fun. It could just be because its a game I never dove into before, but as i type this, im sure its going to hold me over untill the next wave of next-gen MMOs drop and I give those a go.

And if your interested, I have a lot of hope for Wildstar. I like the approach they're taking, and hope they dont mess it up.

Tl;Dr - Burnt out of everything else, never really gave Lotro a fair shot. Gave it one and am having fun.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Dont know for captains but for tradeskills for beginer best thin i think its Explorer (taylor,forester and woodworker) gathering skills so you can make some gold easy

Evendim 32 to40 +

Forochel 42 to 52 lvl

Eregion 52 to 57 lvl, then you have expansion Moria but i sugest you to look on lotro site  what quest pack gives you if you pre order Roi Epick edition so you can save som $$$

this and hes right, it might be a good thing to preoder RoI..i believe its still possible...the biggest package gives this:

• All three Rohirrim Style Mounts with a blanket & emblem in the colours of green, red and white

• All three sets of matching cosmetic Rohirrim Style armour in the colours of green, red and white

• An in-game title - Guard of the Isen

• Access to the Path of the Fellowship Quest Packsincluding Trollshaws, Eregion, Lothlórien and Moriaplus the Mirkwood Quest Pack as a special bonus

• 1,000 Turbine Points for use in the LOTRO Store

• A 25% XP Boost for all characters on your account that will last up to level 65

• All three cosmetic cloaks that match the colour of your armour and mount

I wouldnt recommend a smaller package cuz it doesnt include all the questpacks,mirkwood or moria

but thats only if ur willing to pay 50 dollar/ 35 euros for the whole game..if your going the free way i would take the above questpacks etc.

here some tips for if you might yust want to save some TP (boring way though)

about captains...well..they are pretty wanted, a real character made to buff and cure people from illness etc. people like to play things as captains, champions, hunters etc becuz they are easy to play and also level very nice. i myself dont rlly adore paladinlike classes so cant rlly give any personal opinions

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Originally posted by Qtar

Evendim 32 to40 +

Forochel 42 to 52 lvl

Eregion 52 to 57 lvl

You should leave Eregion way before 57. It's more like level 51-52.

But the order is correct. Evendim, Forochel, Eregion and then Moria

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think it has to do with a few things.

When I tried Lotro for the first time, I felt the animations were clunky and the class I tried( I think it was a Hobbit Burglar) wasnt fun to me. I leveled to 5 but decided it wasnt for me. This was around the time they first introduced the trial.

I stayed with WoW, which I have been back and forth on since launch. Its just stale now though, and anyone whos played MMO's as long as I have understand where im coming from. Theres nothing Blizzard can introduce in WoW thats gonna get me to sub for more than 2 months anymore. I dont care if they let me roll a Murloc Vodoo Mage.

The second time I tried Lotro was during a burn out of WoW. I tried a Race of man champion at that time, but still didnt feel the game was right for me. I didnt care for that class either.

After a few more years of WoW, being completely burnt out, I contemplated subbing to Lotro right before Lotro announced the F2P model they currently use. I really felt that I hadnt given Lotro a fair shot, but at the time I was very anti-F2P and never really considered a F2P game worth investing a lot of time into, so when I found out they were flirting with a F2P model and gonna run with it, I crossed it off my list

That changed later when I got into Runes of Magic after giving it a 2nd chance. It was the first F2P I actually invested money and a conderable amount of time into. The Free for All PvP server was awesome for a while, and I bought a lot of Equipment binders, a mount, and some upgrade items last year. It made my position on F2P games lighten a bit as a result. I had a lot of fun 1-40 on RoM.

After that I lost interest in RoM when I realized how much money I was gonna need to invest once endgame came, and had no interest seriously rolling a new character.

In between this time line, and before and after it, you can add in every F2P and P2P title you can probably think of. Ive played just about everything from Eq and Daoc to Ragnarok online, and Priston Tale. Ive tried everything thats launched into open beta, and closed beta "key give aways". Mostly out of curiousity and to see if anyone has stumbled upon a feature that everyone should adopt.

Rift launched after I quit playing RoM and I tried and liked it. I hit endgame and stopped and thought...im not grinding any more rep in ANY mmo, Im out. I was ready for epic invasions and World PvE awesomeness at endgame. Rep grinds? Were they serious? This is "Next-Gen" endgame? Tryhardernexttimeplzkthxbai.

Ive been bouncing around ever since, and playing Cata one 7 day trial at a time. Really interesting how they reworked the old world. Wont sub again though this expansion. Ive also been playing Ragnarok Online again(it was my first and the one I wont let go till either it or I die)

On a whime yesterday, being my saturday, i decided i'd give Lotro another shot. I dont know if its the Captain class, the feel of the game now that im older and more mature, or what, but its fun. It could just be because its a game I never dove into before, but as i type this, im sure its going to hold me over untill the next wave of next-gen MMOs drop and I give those a go.

And if your interested, I have a lot of hope for Wildstar. I like the approach they're taking, and hope they dont mess it up.

Tl;Dr - Burnt out of everything else, never really gave Lotro a fair shot. Gave it one and am having fun.

The only reason I don not play is because I made a Burg too and stuck with him well into Moria before the game went F2P...but I just don't like that game  style.  I like the Warden, but I hate that I have to now pay for all the low level content I did before one chunk at a time....and honestly I hated Moria with a passion.

• Originally posted by Qtar

Evendim 32 to40 +

Forochel 42 to 52 lvl

@Neiken- I just want to add a little something extra to Qtar's response. If you should decide to go premium, or get a 3rd character slot: definitely do as Qtar suggested and go with the Explorer profession. Not only can it make you a lot of gold quickly, you can get the mats for what I'm about to suggest next. As Qtar mentioned, an Explorer has access to tailoring, so, you've got all of your light and leather armors taken care of. I suggest that you roll a couple of alts that can craft the following, as well: heavy armor/shields and weapons (weaponsmithing and/or woodcrafting) OR jewelry. I'm not saying that these are necessarily the best crafts to take, but in case you don't find the right kinship, or you want to be mostly self-reliant, you won't be wanting, much, where gear is concerned. Though the AH usually has a good variety of gear, you may not see what you necessarily want or need. Not only that, but you can join in-game/npc crafting guilds (mostly a wait-and-see time sink, but worth it) that will give you access to rarer crafting recipes.

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

I played a Captain back in Beta and release, and recently started playing again myself. While I now play a Warden, I do still take my Captain out for dungeon romps or when Kinfolk need a hand.

Don't be swayed to try sword and board. While you can tank with mediocrity, you won't excel at it and and the DPS trade off will inevitably get you killed. Go with a 2h sword, or with a polearm. I prefer the 2h sword since they are so much faster, but I have seen MONSTER crits with my Halberd of War.

Consider yourself a jack of trades, but master of none. You DPS ok, but not in the top. You can tank a little, but not as good as a Guardian or Warden. You can keep your party alive and buffed, but you arent really a primary healer.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Same here, I returned to LOTRO 3 weeks ago, enjoying it. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

umm thats not a big suprise. the game really is a great mmo. it is literally pve, with a very small dosage of pvp. granted people still do make fun of the character animations. to me, the chatacter animations are no big deal to me. now the environments, wow...the environments are just strictly amazing. also the first MMO i enjoy playing a dwarf. lotro has never been a bad mmo and, imo, will never be bad. a great MMO...it deserves more credit. again, imo...but its a great MMO.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

If you start to get bored try Monster Play!

But be warned, my history with lotro is that when I start playing MP I get so addicted to it I never finish the PvE side.

I've got two accounts for Lotro, bought MoM for both of them (and unlocked most everything)  But have still yet to get a character past level 50, lol.. because I just get bored and play monster play.