Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

This has been known for at least half a year now, maybe even a year. It was in the faq at their site all that time.

As Martin Kerstein (a CM of Anet) said over at guru:

We haven't changed our stance on this. We will start closed beta before the end of the year like we mentioned in our FAQ.

And:

What is there to deny? Or FAQ states for quite a while now that we will do closed (that is the key word here) beta tests this year.

Again - the keyword here is CLOSED.

Edit, from the faq:

When will there be a beta?

We will be conducting small closed alpha and beta tests in 2011. The feedback from these tests will determine when we will do public beta tests and ship the game. Guild Wars 2 is a very large and ambitious game, and Guild Wars players rightfully have very high expectations. We want players to be absolutely blown away by the game the first time they experience it.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Meh nothing new. Still good of them to re-assure us though. 

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't think many people doubted this, even if the game wouldn't be in perfect shape you can still start the beta, it is releasing the game that is the hard part and can be delayed a long time.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

I know this isn't nothing new per se - that info about beta in 2011 has been around for some time. What is important is Colin confirming at Eurogamer Expo that Closed Beta will be for sure in 2011. No more "what if it gets delayed".

I just hope they will send more invites than what blizzard did for diablo 3 xD

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Why do I have this horrible feeling that we wont see GW2 release until Q1 2012...

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Z3R01

Why do I have this horrible feeling that we wont see GW2 release until Q1 2012...

Because with a closed beta starting somewhere in october or early november a 2011 release is highly unlikely?

Originally posted by wojtekpl

I know this isn't nothing new per se - that info about beta in 2011 has been around for some time. What is important is Colin confirming at Eurogamer Expo that Closed Beta will be for sure in 2011. No more "what if it gets delayed".

As I showed from the faq and from Martin's response, the 'for sure' part is not new either.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Tons of things can go wrong in a Closed beta. We've seen it before.

Developers may have to go back to the drawing board and push the dates back. 

I said what i said because they are just now starting closed beta and most of us assumed the game would be a Q1/Q2 2011 release.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151

if they did open beta somehow in december it be smart move with launch of star wars TOR during that time. i will play both though

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

The closed beta is not for us anyway. I only care for open beta and release.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I said what i said because they are just now starting closed beta and most of us assumed the game would be a Q1/Q2 2011 release.

Which is exacly why they won't give us a release date. Because things will probably need to be fixed or iterated on.

I'm actually quite surprised that people still think a Guild Wars 2 2011 launch is still possible. All hope for the game launching this year, should have been cast a aside when they first updated the site's FAQ, earlier this year, giving us a rough estimate on when abouts they'd start beta (estimated to be between now & December).

So expect a release around Spring 2012, at the earliest... I know that what I've been expecting since Spring this year.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by Master10K

Which is exacly why they won't give us a release date. Because things will probably need to be fixed or iterated on.

I'm actually quite surprised that people still think a Guild Wars 2 2011 launch is still possible. All hope for the game launching this year, should have been cast a aside when they first updated the site's FAQ, earlier this year, giving us a rough estimate on when abouts they'd start beta (estimated to be between now & December).

So expect a release around Spring 2012, at the earliest... I know that what I've been expecting since Spring this year.

All of this is guesswork on everyone's part, but I don't think we'll actually see launch until Q3 or 4 of 2012.  I'm thinking like November.

Steam: Neph

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

To add to the thread:

GW2 on track for closed beta in 2011

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1196847p1.html

Basically this article says that yes, they are still on track for the 2011 closed beta.  The results of that will determine the Open beta schedule.  The results of open beta will determine the release date. 

So, it looks like an open beta is a very real possibility.