Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asus G73 Gaming laptop, Low Low fps on rift? even on lowest settings?

KrowgKrowg Member Posts: 8

Ok so trying to help my friend play rift with me and his laptop is very nice and plays most games great but on rift we cant get over 25 fps no matter what graphics settings we change... Its got 8 gigs of ram and a GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB card in it so im confused... This card should be able to play the game on high settings no prob. Ive built a few gaming rigs and never had this issue with lesser cards.

Any ideas.. Im guna look at it tomorrow and im thinking maybe old video drivers, or the cpu for some reason is not running at full speed with some stupid factory downclocking software...

I dont know but its very frustrating.. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

We that die to our selves will live forever.

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Originally posted by Krowg

Ok so trying to help my friend play rift with me and his laptop is very nice and plays most games great but on rift we cant get over 25 fps no matter what graphics settings we change... Its got 8 gigs of ram and a GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB card in it so im confused... This card should be able to play the game on high settings no prob. Ive built a few gaming rigs and never had this issue with lesser cards.

Any ideas.. Im guna look at it tomorrow and im thinking maybe old video drivers, or the cpu for some reason is not running at full speed with some stupid factory downclocking software...

I dont know but its very frustrating.. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

first thing you should have done was go to rift's technical forums and see if they have a sticky about known gfx cards their game has issues with. its a good chance your friend got the bad end of the stick in this case and the game just has issues with that particular card.

other then that, drivers would be 2nd. and making sure his harddrive isn't almost completely full. and making sure to run the game with no other applications running.

also, do note you are playing this on a Laptop not a desktop. there is a major difference between expected fps between the two.

with that being said i never played a game on a laptop so i dont know the general fps range of bad-adverage-good is for laptops, but i'm guessing that 25 fps isn't bad for a laptop and its the norm.

fps doesn't matter if ur not lagging. fps especially doesnt matter in a mmorpg. matters in pvp games but rift...not one of those games.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

First, I don't think it's immediately obvious that the laptop should be able to run the game well on high settings.  Why would $100 gaming cards exist if even a much slower GeForce GTX 460M can run everything on high settings?  And that's to say nothing of $200 or $300 cards.

Now, low settings are a different critter entirely.  The only way that a GeForce GTX 460M should struggle with a game on low settings is if it's got a severe case of badly coded syndrome, which from what I've heard, Rift does not.

You make it sound like turning graphical settings up and down doesn't make the frame rate budge at all.  Is that the case?  One in particular that I'd like for you to explicitly check is anti-aliasing.  If the difference between anti-aliasing off entirely and 8xAA makes no difference to your frame rate, then it's not a video card bottleneck.

It could be a processor bottleneck, though.  I don't know how processor-intensive Rift is.  At least some of the G73 laptops had a Clarksfield processor, and if that isn't able to turbo boost nearly as well as the desktop processors.  It's easily conceivable that you could be stuck at 25 frames per second in a few games.  But only a few, and it should be able to do a lot better than that in most games.

One possible exception is if it's overheating.  If the processor fan died, or the processor heatsink is caked in dust, or some other such thing, then the processor could easily be overheating.  When that happens, it clocks itself back severely to avoid dying.  That could cause the much slower frame rates that you're seeing.

Another potential issue is if you're running out of memory and having to page to disk extensively, as that can also kill your frame rates.  8 GB should be plenty to avoid this, but it is possible to fill memory with stupid things.  Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, open Task Manager, and go to the Performance tab.  Check how much physical memory is in use when you're not running Rift, as well as what it says you have in "total".  If you don't have 8 GB in total (probably just under 8192, as a few MB get stolen for other purposes so that the OS can't make use of that little bit), then something might be wrong with your memory.  If you've got over 6 GB in use even when Rift isn't running, then adding Rift to that stack might well mean you're running out of memory.  If you've got under 2 GB in use, but 8 GB in total, then memory capacity isn't the problem.

• KrowgKrowg Member Posts: 8

Well I did some research on the rift forums and it seems to be a common issue on some servers, and has nothing to do with the computer. And as far as the posts ive recieved on this, his pc play almost all graphic intensive games on high including the witcher 2 and crysis. So i disagree with alot that was said because I go to devry for this type of thing and the price of the computer and the hardware in it doesnt have to be expensive to play high settings. What matters is Core clocks, memory clocks, shader clock, cpu speed, ect.. but thanks for the help..

• LaraiLarai Member UncommonPosts: 8

I also have an Asus G73. When I played Rift every graphic setting was maxed out and I had no issues. Not even groups of 20 people fighting a world boss slowed it down at all.

Originally posted by Azure0143

I also have an Asus G73. When I played Rift every graphic setting was maxed out and I had no issues. Not even groups of 20 people fighting a world boss slowed it down at all.

My point exactly...

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Id have to vote on the overheat problem.  I bought my ex a g73 and its pretty common for the gpu temp to reach 100C and suddenly slow down.  She solved it somewhat by flashing bios to a compatible MSI bios and getting the newest graphic drivers.  Ofc this was the first bunch of G73s which had ATI graphics. 

Another thing is that there should be a button or something to make it go normal speed.  I know that asus uses that extreme, normal, gaming modes and such and iirc the normal mode is underclocked.  I forgot the name of it exactl though :(  IT should be in asus power manager!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by Castillle

Id have to vote on the overheat problem.  I bought my ex a g73 and its pretty common for the gpu temp to reach 100C and suddenly slow down.  She solved it somewhat by flashing bios to a compatible MSI bios and getting the newest graphic drivers.  Ofc this was the first bunch of G73s which had ATI graphics. 

Another thing is that there should be a button or something to make it go normal speed.  I know that asus uses that extreme, normal, gaming modes and such and iirc the normal mode is underclocked.  I forgot the name of it exactl though :(  IT should be in asus power manager!

No, The temp was at 60c, like i said its a server issue / game issue.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

That sucks x.x Were you able to find a way to fix it? :(  Or did support or whichever give some stuff to make it go faster? :O

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**