Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intrepid pilots of New Eden! (Is CCP showing us it's belly?)

HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=2421 

Intrepid pilots of New Eden!

Over the past days and weeks, CCP has been doing extensive and intense introspection and revitalization. The result of this is a refocusing and reprioritization on a scale unheard of within our company.

These are indeed defining times.

Torfi’s most recent dev blog provides some indication of what’s to come. We have decided, to focus our collective efforts on the areas you have asked us to focus on.

We will reveal more over the coming weeks. As certain details are prone to change, we want to make sure we have absolutely concrete information to give you. You’ve often told us that we promise too much and deliver too little, and this time we want to be certain that doesn’t happen. We are listening to you, we have heard you, and plans are already in motion.

Watch this space.

Arnar Hrafn Gylfason

Senior Producer of EVE Online 

Comments

• ZoobiZoobi Member UncommonPosts: 115

Arrange the follow words in the correct order:

the, from, bolted, horse, stable, has, already, the.

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Originally posted by Zoobi

Arrange the follow words in the correct order:

the, from, bolted, horse, stable, has, already, the.

The Stable has horse from the already bolted.

Nailed it.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I say lets see what they are going to do and go from there.  

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    tl:dr i got a box but u cant look inside HAHA!!

BestSigEver :P

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

It's an interesting post out of CCP and perhaps a sign they are considering going back to a philosophy of building a larger community of players by strengthening the game that  netted the current community. A year or two ago they were my favorite game company by a wide margin. It's just no longer the same game from the client to the service.

I laughingly use the TV show Enterprise as an example of what happens when a team wants to throw away their fan base in favor of one they see as more main stream or appealing... They didn't even want to call the show Star Trek. By alienating their fan base thinking that others looked better, well  you can see what happened to them and the franchise as a whole. Naw, it wasn't your daddy's Trek lol.

But it's still a case where I would watch what they do. I know the game needs new features to grow but it's still a game about space ships. I know they want to make more money but its still a niche game at core that will never appeal to the common masses without self destructing.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

All :words: no :action:

Where's the beef?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

For years players of Eve have been complaining how long it has taken to walk in station. So Eve puts money and resources inot speeding up the process. now the players are complaining that too many resources are put into walking into station.

Make up your mind. Either you want it and you want it now (Which means money and resources) or you don't. Stop asking for one thing then complaining about it when they do it.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

For years players of Eve have been complaining how long it has taken to walk in station. So Eve puts money and resources inot speeding up the process. now the players are complaining that too many resources are put into walking into station.
    Make up your mind. Either you want it and you want it now (Which means money and resources) or you don't. Stop asking for one thing then complaining about it when they do it.

you are wrong more that 60% of resources are put in other games like dust and emo vampires online

BestSigEver :P

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

They still don't have walking in stations just standing in a cabin looking at the monacle that cost $60 from the cash shop they financed with thier subs. It doesn't take an Einstein to work out why these people are so peeved off and this is just another PR stunt CCP is pulling until it all blows over and they can get back to putting special ammo in the shop.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• hansolo42hansolo42 Member Posts: 30

changing a plan is not an easy task for a company. Especially not if it was escalated from bottom up. It is a very good sign to see CCP moving in the right direction. But we will have to wait and see... as always.

pm me for eve online invites

For Incarna- I think they should ditch the micro transaction store and allow players to craft and sell all the vanity items for walking in stations. I think this would bring in new players who adore crafting and then introduce them to the spaceship side of Eve Online which is its foundation.

• Players would have to go into space to harvest items or engage in the player market. 

• The planetary interaction could help supply materials on the market which could also lend itself to Dust 514.

But as it stands right now the micro transaction store is a scam and robs the possibility of a fantastic crafting element to Eve Online that is missing from Incarna. It robs the players of content. 

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

That's the spirit, continue with dress up Barbie meets Virtual Makeover.

The internet spaceship part of Eve is perfectly balanced and contains no age old bugs or unfinished content from prior expansions.

I'm beginning to see thier plan... if they make the inside of the stations really nice then nobody will bother undocking and notice any of the problems with the spaceships. Genius!

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

People are quick to jump on this as some sort of bad news or another lie, but how many other companies would actually release something like this?  This is essentially CCP saying "We screwed up, and we're seeing the results of it.  We're sorry."

They focused on larger projects not related to EVE, or made stupid additions such as a cash shop that the players never asked for, and were largely against.  They saw the backlash from this, as well as backlash against certain comments from people higher up in the company who didn't seem to have a clue what was going on in the playerbase.

There has been a distinct lack of chatter about EVE lately on these forums, and I would imagine it's the same elsewhere.  Perhaps CCP has realized that if they don't act now, their 'baby' could gradually fall by the wayside and they'll be left with a dying game and 2 unfinished products to show for it.  I have no doubts that the people working on this game care about it greatly.  Those lowly programmers and feature developers have poured years of work into EVE, and I won't believe that just because the higher ups want a few more dollars, that the people making features care any less about the game.

This devblog isn't a solution, but it is a step in the right direction.  CCP still has one of the 'coolest' MMOs on the market, with more depth and drama than anything else out there.  Sure there are some issues, but if they realize it now and start working to fix those issues in order to keep EVE around for many more years, then maybe this is the start of something better.  If they can straighten out internal issues and get a design plan going for the game that more closely matches what the players want for the game, then EVE could jump back from this easily in the long term.

Words are words.. I get it.  But it takes a certain quality to be able to say "We dropped the ball, and we want to win your trust back"

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

They may be, at this point, damned if they do, damned if they don't. The fixes on pvp in any game can be very troublesome, and more so when it is as complex as EVE. If they fix one thing, they may throw bigger, unforseen problems into the mix. I can appreciate how hard it would be to repair a flawed pvp system in a game as complex as EVE.

With the walking in stations, also, damned if they do, damned if they dont. I think they did exactly the worst thing they could, is release a room you can stand in with virtually no interaction. It just serves as a remindr to many that they *still* cannot do what it is EVE has been promising for so long. It looks like someone trying to patch a sucking chest wound with a hello kitty bandaid. 

At this point, CCP has lost a lot of points just on perception, word of mouth, and mass exodus alone. I am not sure this mess is even fixable.

I am just testing the waters here- if CCP stated "hey, we were wrong with micro transactions. Players will soon be able to craft all those vanity items".  This is damned if you do and damned if you dont?  To me it would add to the player market.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I didn't read anything in the Dev Blog or in this announcement to make me consider resubbing my 4 accounts.

Which has been the problem really, nothing they've added since wormhole space has really been of any interest to me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Well, having been in the game almost six years, before they started Incursions, I can't say I'm seeing anything that would lead me to go back to the game.  CCP was once one of the most stand up game companies that I'd run into.  But over the years thats changed. Their executive level seems to be almost totally clueless when it comes to their general player base.

Now while thats typical of corporate suits in general, I'd have expected better from a company with CCP's past history. Success has that impact on people some times. Couple that with the influence of their Chinese partners, and the rest is history as they say.  Its too bad, as over the years I've quite enjoyed watching EVE evolve. 

I'm hoping that Perpetuum doesn't take that route, but we will have to wait and see. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by dave6660

That's the spirit, continue with dress up Barbie meets Virtual Makeover.

The internet spaceship part of Eve is perfectly balanced and contains no age old bugs or unfinished content from prior expansions.

I'm beginning to see thier plan... if they make the inside of the stations really nice then nobody will bother undocking and notice any of the problems with the spaceships. Genius!

QFT, there is tons of crap still in dire need of fixing and re-vamping in "the old game" before they should start with station services.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Kyleran
    nothing they've added since wormhole space has really been of any interest to me.

...and since Apocrypha the subscription numbers went up, therefore there are way more of those who enjoy added content.

Everyone gets burned out at some point, but making a drama about it...?

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Kyleran

nothing they've added since wormhole space has really been of any interest to me.

...and since Apocrypha the subscription numbers went up, therefore there are way more of those who enjoy added content.

Everyone gets burned out at some point, but making a drama about it...?

I think it's pretty clear that the changes from Apocrypha to Incursion have done significant damage to this game. Kyleran very expertly pointed out one of the problems in his post. New content for veteran high skill point players hasn't been developed and they are bored. An excellent observation really.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by qazyman
    I think it's pretty clear that the changes from Apocrypha to Incursion have done significant damage to this game.

Yes, because more subs hurts the game so much....

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by qazyman

I think it's pretty clear that the changes from Apocrypha to Incursion have done significant damage to this game.

Yes, because more subs hurts the game so much....

No, but lack of attention to long time bugs, flaws and imbalance does.  Then there is Planet ville......<face palm>

CCP just isn't the game company it once was.  Mores the pity. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • I quit the game like so many during that fiasco with the leaked internal emails. I was curious to see if any changes have been made, so far I see promises. CCP even sent me an email along the lines of "you have cancelled your subsciption during a time when the nix store was introduced, here are some promises, here is 5 days free".  I loled & deleted the email.

The fact is, everyone who cancelles a subscription is doing so because of personal choice, influenced by in game or real life factors. In my case it was entirely in game, I had started to hold a deep seeded grudge against ccp after they nerfed 0.0 anomalies & rendered most of null sec areas once booming with life, into empty shells of their former self, all because isk was too accessable. An act that single handedly made earning isk much harder & added no value to my game time. When your paying for a service on top of that, its hard to justify the monthly fee. What goes around comes around, I pulled my sub fee & said 'NO!". I quietly cancelled my subs & walked away. Its been over 2 months, & I still check the forums every now & again.

AM I still bitter? A little. I hope the game can regain its former glory, but im expecting it to lose a steady amount of subs & impact the other projects where my $15 a month was going to. This coming from a player with 2 accounts, a carrier/drednaight, orca etc. Its all in a hanger awaiting the day this game turns around.

• widjitswidjits Member Posts: 10

I have to say that I love that game, even though I left it.

I still find myself watching their forums now and then though.

I figure I'll pay attention to what they do and not so much what they say.