Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't Judge a Game...

sage3020sage3020 Member Posts: 23

Something that bugs me is when someone says "Don't judge a game until you try it!" But how can I not judge a game before I try it? To propose that I should buy and play every game before I decide it is worth my while is just ridiculous. If you shouldn't judge a game before trying it, then what is the point of reading reviews? What is the point of watching trailers and reading up on the game? What is the point of discussing the game in forums? To help you judge if it is something you want to play!

And what's even more ridiculous is that the people who usually say this are trying to somehow defend a game, even if it hasn't been released. But doesn't that make them hypocrites since they themselves have judged the game as being good and defends against its critism, even if they haven't played it? Is it somehow okay to judge a game as good, but not okay to criticise it or express a concern if the game has not been released?

It just does not make any sense to me to say such a thing.

Comments

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

No, only haters and trolls try to figure out if a game is worth buying before buying it! Demos, previews, first impressions, articles, reviews, all of it is meaningless because of some reason or another we'll come up later. The important thing is that only AFTER you buy it, do you have the right to decide if it's worth buying or not! 

Some people are just a salesman's wet dreams, OP. 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Because a judgement is something you make after you know or have experienced all possible factors of influence.

And a judgement is not the same as a preconception, assumption, bias, delusion, illusion, inclination, notion, preconceived idea, predisposition, prejudgment, prejudice, prepossession, presumption or presupposition which would be the things you do before you know or have experienced all possible factors of influence.

This post is sponsored by thesaurus.com

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well said.

I do take some games of my personal interest list untried because I just don't like some of it's features, but that doesn't make them bad, just not for me.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Well it's pretty easy to judge a game these days sadly.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

So you should eat a pile of manure because you can't judge it until you have eaten all of it....

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

It's ok to judge a game based off gameplays in your head but you shouldn't go around posting that it's a horrible game or go around saying it when you never played it. It's to make the judgement in your head i mean we all do based off our impressions automatically but saying it out loud when you haven't even tried the game, that's just stupid.

If you never played the game and you think it looks horrible, keep it in your head until you've played it, then it's alright to speak your opinions without looking like an idiot.

Many MANY times i've seen games that looked absolutely horrible to me. It was just a no, no way i'm ever going to be playing that game. Once i play the game i think i'm such an idiot, this game is amazing.

I'm sure this has happened to everyone, maybe not in games but in other situations. 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by waynejr2

So you should eat a pile of manure because you can't judge it until you have eaten all of it....

No, you can smell it and get a preconceived idea, or compelling notion, that you would probably not like the taste of it.

But if you really want to JUDGE it and the consistency of the manure is the same throughout the entire pile, a small sample would suffice in determining all factors of influence and would certainly warrant a judgement ^_^

Edit: It's like going into a french cheese shop. Some cheeses you will encounter will smell like a ten day old corpse of someone with a sweating disorder and a serious skin disease, but you might find them to be damn tasty when you manage to get over that.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by sage3020

Something that bugs me is when someone says "Don't judge a game until you try it!" But how can I not judge a game before I try it? To propose that I should buy and play every game before I decide it is worth my while is just ridiculous. If you shouldn't judge a game before trying it, then what is the point of reading reviews? What is the point of watching trailers and reading up on the game? What is the point of discussing the game in forums? To help you judge if it is something you want to play!

And what's even more ridiculous is that the people who usually say this are trying to somehow defend a game, even if it hasn't been released. But doesn't that make them hypocrites since they themselves have judged the game as being good and defends against its critism, even if they haven't played it? Is it somehow okay to judge a game as good, but not okay to criticise it or express a concern if the game has not been released?

There is a massive difference between the personal decision of "Hmm does it look like this game is something I'd like to purchase and play?" and the blanket and arrogant idea that for everybody "This game will absoloutely suck, no one should buy it, its just a clone of 'game x', game feature A will completely ruin the game for people who prefer game feature B, this game will be free to play in three months, etc." Without actually playing the game. The people who rampantly make the statement that "game x is going to be the bestest game since sliced bread and anyone who disagrees is a moron" Are just as guilty of making a intuion based judgement on how other people they know nothing about should feel about a game. And in doing so give me the right to judge them to be arrogant dickheads.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by Lexin

Well it's pretty easy to judge a game these days sadly.

That doesn't mean you should.

I don't care how much a game looks like WoW or how boring it looks. It could be the game that i would end up playing for ages to come and have a blast in. But because i'm an idiot i go around and say that the game sucks and it's awful when i haven't even played it. I end up not playing it and miss out on a possible favorite game.

That's how i use to be. There was this game i saw and i just thought "Is this a joke?" years later i finally tried the game because i had learnt that you shouldn't judge a game before you played it. So i played it and frick yeah it was awesome. I played it for months and unfortunately the game was pretty outdated so not many people were playing it. It got boring playing alone most of the time so i quit.

If only i would of played the game when it came out instead of 3-4 years later :(.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by DarkPony

Because a judgement is something you make after you know or have experienced all possible factors of influence.

And a judgement is not the same as an assumption, bias, delusion, illusion, inclination, notion, preconceived idea, predisposition, prejudgment, prejudice, prepossession, presumption or presupposition which would be the things you do before you know or have experienced all possible factors of influence.

This post is sponsored by thesaurus.com

Nice one lol. +1

Most of the time I might say that when defending a niche game that has a cult following. Majority of people don't like the game, but some people do, so I'll tell them to try it if they're interested even if it has a bad rep.

Sometimes a game looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I want it. I usually look at reviews/previews at this point. If their general consensus is that it's a bad game, I'd usually skip it. But if a friend told me they thought it was fun and I should try it, I'd try it. And either I won't like it, and will say it, or will like it, and see if I can get anyone else who thought it was bad to actually try it.

Like DarkPony said, I assumed the game was bad before my friend told me it was fun for him, but once actually played I learned it was fun, my assumptions based on others were wrong.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

It's not so much "Don't judge a game until you try it!" but more "Even though you currently judge the game as bad, keep an open mind about the game, you might be surprised!".

You can definitely judge a game before you try it, but just accept that your judgement might be wrong as you really need to try the game to know if YOU like it (heck you might be the only one person in the world who thinks the game is great who knows).

Is it somehow okay to judge a game as good, but not okay to criticise it or express a concern if the game has not been released?

Both are okay, but a lot of information is available about games before release. And the logic says that someone who is interested about a game will read and know more about a game, thus will know a lot more precisely the content of the game.

Whereas the one who judged the game as bad will probably stop reading about the game at this point, and thus will have false arguments to say the game is bad. I like to read someone who falls in this category and who has read everything about the game though, but this is fairly rare.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

The thing is, manure is empirically proven to being waste. It is unhealthy to eat and repulsive to the human senses. Therefore, the comparison is completely off and irrelevant.

You can formulate an opinion of a game or of anything for that matter without actually experiencing the thing in question. However, the most valid, rational, impartial judgement comes from only those who have experienced the real thing. On paper, something may seem bad, but in practice, it may actually be fun.

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151

you can assume it's bad BUT until you try demo or trial at least how can you say you wont like it. if you hate star wars then you have valid opinion for yourself but doesn't make star wars galaxies or star wars anything bad just your opinion. there are WoW haters and WoW fanboys and some in between thats human nature. 

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Something that bugs me is when someone says "Don't judge a game until you try it!" But how can I not judge a game before I try it? To propose that I should buy and play every game before I decide it is worth my while is just ridiculous.

I think your taking things out of context. When people say don't judge a game before you try it they mean at least spend some time with the game before pre-judging it, not just go out a pay full price for the game, but at least have an idea what its like. You can usually try games by doing trails or demos. Thats the point of them.

I learned that the hard way when I went out bought Age of Conan. Not saying its a bad game because It's not. It's just that I had expectations from the game that I assumed from watching trailers and previews. You honestly can't judge a game unless you actually play it first. Just recently I thought Hellgate was going to be a horrible game, but when I sat down and played it. I am really enjoying it now. It's like anything in life.. if you say you can't do something but have never tried it before then your only making excuses and lying to yourself in the process. Pre juding is ok though, but be prepared to be told you may not have all the facts.

It's like me saying "Well all the poor people out there.. well they are just all living off the system." when in fact I've never been poor myself, or have had to deal with that kind of life. So I'm ignorant to what it's like and in most cases I most likely don't have any facts to support my claims, because really I don't have a clue. That is why we have something called "Research" unfortunitly most people out there want to think one way and are incapable of becoming more "Wiser" to things and how they work.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by Tardcore

There is a massive difference between the personal decision of "Hmm does it look like this game is something I'd like to purchase and play?" and the blanket and arrogant idea that for everybody "This game will absoloutely suck, no one should buy it, its just a clone of 'game x', game feature A will completely ruin the game for people who prefer game feature B, this game will be free to play in three months, etc." Without actually playing the game. The people who rampantly make the statement that "game x is going to be the bestest game since sliced bread and anyone who disagrees is a moron" Are just as guilty of making a intuion based judgement on how other people they know nothing about should feel about a game. And in doing so give me the right to judge them to be arrogant dickheads.

My reaction to the OP was pretty much exactly this, glad I read down because I agree completely with Tardcore here.

You can "judge" if a game seems like one you'd like to play, pre-release, but it's breathtakingly arrogant to assume that your gut reaction will (or should) translate to the game being anathema to the masses.

Even games that you think you won't like can grab you if you actually try them. Personally speaking I tend not to diss anything unless i've tried it and found it to be fundamentally "broken" - I was pretty clear about FFXIV once the NDA dropped, and the ground "game" in STO after testing that too. Apart from those two examples, I tend not to tear into games just because I didn't enjoy them all that much. I'm well aware that my tastes may differ from everyone else's.

I've always felt the "Don't judge til you've played it" line to be a pretty fair one. You really can't tell how gameplay "feels" by watching videos, but you'll know if it's right once you actually get into the game yourself. I always look at pre-release videos and marketing stuff with a cynically arched eyebrow. I want a lot of games to be great, I want all of us to find a game we enjoy (and it won't necessarily be the same game, nor should it be). I *want" SW:TOR, GW2 and TSW (to name just three) to rock the socks off MMO gamers, after such a long drought we all deserve some quality play. Naysayers who pit one game against another or want "their" game to "win" just irritate me. If we get three great games over the next year, we've all won!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

If people did that with cars, they'd have a dozen in the driveway.  Well I sort of like the Lexus, but you know... the art styling just doesn't do it for me.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Sage I think the problem with this issue stems mostly from when you are going to hear this comment. For most I'd be willing to bet it's when they are trying to use personal opinion to push an idea out as a fact "this type of gameplay is killing the genre"  or "this game is going to fail" picking apart features that one doesn't agree with.

See the thing about being told "not to judge something until you've tried it" is once you put your opinion out about something you have not actually tried only you leave yourself open to that.  I have played a ton of games that I "didn't like" and most people won't know unless I come across a topic about that game further it's only on things I bothered to try no one could really tell me "don't judge it until you try it".

Oddly it's rare to see mmo players who play games like WOW,LOTRO and some of the other mainstream games even bother to form an opinion about games they don't have an interest in.

If you're going to stand on a soapbox and offer up an opinion about something you haven't even tried accept someone will always be willing to help you off of that soap box.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

If people did that with cars, they'd have a dozen in the driveway.  Well I sort of like the Lexus, but you know... the art styling just doesn't do it for me.

You know I actually know people who have more cars than they can really afford. I also know people who have this weird obsession with buying used and old trucks, then fixing them up (and paying for the new parts it needs) and then selling them for less than what they first paid for it... then they buy a new truck in less than 3 weeks time and repeat the process.

• sage3020sage3020 Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by askdaboss

It's not so much "Don't judge a game until you try it!" but more "Even though you currently judge the game as bad, keep an open mind about the game, you might be surprised!".

This sentiment seems much more reasonable to me. The kind of thing I am talking about is not people trolling on forums saying how much a game is going to suck and will be a piece of crap, but rather posts like this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/327744/page/1

The guy is basically saying how he thinks the companion system in SWTOR isn't going to be all that great. He's not saying that the game will suck or anything like that. There's nothing unreasonable about his post, though no doubt many would disagree with him. He's just discussing his sentiments about the companion system. Now look at the 6th reply on the second page.

Originally posted by Chimps

Judging a game that you never played?

Hmmmm. What do you usually call people when they don't use their brains?

He is even insulting him. This is what bothers me.

I'm not talking about extremes here and trying to say that talking about how much a game sucks without trying it is okay. I'm talking about when you decide to play a game or not, you are making a desicion; a judgement on whether the game is worth your time. So to me, it doesn't make any sense to say, "Don't judge a game until you try it!" because there is no way you cannot judge it in some way. You have to decide whether or not to play it.

Let's say you think a game won't be any good so you decide not to play it. But later you decide to try it out and realize you acually enjoyed it. This just means that you misjudged whether or not you would like the game. But, it doesn't mean you that did not make a judgement. You just made an error in your judgement; a misjudgement. You see what I'm trying to say? It doesn't make sense to tell someone not to judge it because that's what you have to do to decide whether or not you want to play it.