Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, was it a lie that pre-order stocks are 'limited', or is the demand lower then expected?

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by tom_gore

No MMO will ever again get my money in advance. Over my dead body, not sooner.

Yeah, same. I am sick of the outright lies they tell to shift their product.

It is astounding that some folks still defend and justify obvious lies that are designed to treat the customer base as morons, but I guess thats how they get away with it.

I have a strong feeling that if it was another company, say Aventurine, who lied like this to create a fake rush the same posters defending EA (though in their heads they probably think they are defending 'Bioware' or the SW franchise in general) here woulnt be so understanding about it.

The red part of your post makes no sense since they haven't 'lied' about anything.

Is there a limit? Yes, there has to be one since that's what they told to the public!

Look up 'false advertising'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by jpnz

It is astounding that some folks still defend and justify obvious lies that are designed to treat the customer base as morons, but I guess thats how they get away with it.

I have a strong feeling that if it was another company, say Aventurine, who lied like this to create a fake rush the same posters defending EA (though in their heads they probably think they are defending 'Bioware' or the SW franchise in general) here woulnt be so understanding about it.

Is there a limit? Yes, there has to be one since that's what they told to the public!

You blind faith is insipiring.

Your entire point is based on 'they said it so it must be true', despite evidence to the contrary?

BTW, they have obviously lied about having limited stocks of the product in an effort to make the gullible panic buy, so yes the part in red makes utter sense.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Your entire point is based on 'they said it so it must be true', despite evidence to the contrary?

BTW, they have obviously lied about having limited stocks of the product in an effort to make the gullible panic buy, so yes the part in red makes utter sense.

Aren't you doing the same if not more? You apparently hate/dislike EA/BW and SWTOR, therefore you automatically dismiss any sensible argument that could be made for them, arguments that you'd be willing to accept when it wouldn't be about EA/BW or SWTOR, and instead you automatically seem to conclude the most negative scenario possible image

IIRC I think that's what 'cognitive dissonance' is about.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Well all I can say is my point of view and pretty much what I took from statements was:

There was going to be an initial "limited" release.   They gave various reasons about wanting the network stable to give a good play experience and adding servers blah blah   However, even now when I think about it I am not sure they were talking about "numbers" because these statements were in regards to regions.   "Why can't those of us in XX (area of the world) order?" and that was when they replied about lmited launch.

I never thought they said "lmited stock" or implied that omg order now there are only so many copies of the game.    When the CEO of EA is BS'ing investors and saying they will be fine with 500,000 subscribers but really hinting they expect 2 million+... I certainly never thought anything was "limited" in inventory related ways...

What I DID see was "when you apply your code determined when you get access to headstart".   <- now that was a glowing "buy now don't delay" infomercial if I ever saw one.

When headstart comes I wonder if we will really see people invited in "waves" based on their code date.   Or if the reality will be all pre-orders start the same day...   Its just going to be another thing for people to be upset about regardless.   Honestly if some people get a shorter headstart they won't care they were given this information.   It will just be something they hold onto and gnaw over and if other things in the game piss them off they will end up leaving.    (no reason for us to care but bad for business).

Even the $150 CE...   When we saw the box art etc or the titles on places like Amazon it never was listed as "Limited Collector's Edition".    Yet I remember reports about how it was sold out pretty quick.   Now... I think you can go to any retailer (maybe not Origin) but Amazon or Gamestop and still order this thing...    So pretty much it seems there are going to be as many CE's as people want to buy.    (this is pretty common now and you can still buy "new" expansion CE's for various MMO's).

As consumers we just got used to the idea that CE's were limited due to the Ebay effect.   

The idea being consumer perception does not equal reality.   Just as two people can read the same press statement and see different things.   Even my personal perceptions now that I think about it were likely pretty off on some statements.

This is why "vague" is such a great PR tool... "we never said that..."

However, the one reality I would go with is demand is not lower than expected.   They released public statements related to sales (that would indicate very big numbers).   Since they are a publicly traded company those statements have to be true or they would have some legal issues...

It is not blind faith, it is called 'knowing some basic financial/advertising laws'. 

C'mon... hello? False Advertising?

I have the knowledge of some basic understanding of 'false advertising' to back me up.

What have you got other than your 'I say it is true'?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by Antarious

When headstart comes I wonder if we will really see people invited in "waves" based on their code date.   Or if the reality will be all pre-orders start the same day...   Its just going to be another thing for people to be upset about regardless.   Honestly if some people get a shorter headstart they won't care they were given this information.   It will just be something they hold onto and gnaw over and if other things in the game piss them off they will end up leaving.    (no reason for us to care but bad for business).

It's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure that 10,000 players jumping all at once into a game shard into the starter areas isn't exactly helpful for a smooth starter gameplay experience. Aion had something like that and it was kind of disastrous, to have excessively populated starter areas or queues for several hours for weeks.

I think Trion with Rift throttled the influx of new gamers to spread it out more, with increasing the population cap in stages.

Hard to tell how BW will do it, but from their statements, they're at least looking at ways how to manage the player population flow. If they'll be successful with it remains to be seen when the moment arrives.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

As others have said, "limited" means whatever the marketing guys want it to mean. I guess we won't know one way or the other unless they hit whatever number is the magic one for pre-orders. They do say on the site that physical copies of the game will be made available for launch too (but again, "limited").

The question is, where's the cut-off point? And that's something we'll probably never know. I can see there will be a lot of complaining in lauch week too if people can't source a copy and raise hell over it - despite a warning that stocks will be limited.

It's kind of a silly argument really, they either cut off supply and prove they aren't just spouting a marketing line, and piss people off, or they don't (possibly because they don't hit the pre-sales number) and everyone says they're liars.

I pre-ordered a CE back in July, after swearing I'd never do that again (thank you WAR), because I wanted the statue, and the soundtrack and the authenticator, and because I got a new job and wanted to treat myself (some girls buy shoes, I buy games!), so either way, I could care less. I'll have my copy and I'll be playing regardless. Berate me if you like, but it's my money, my choice.

Gah, editing for a ps: It's not possible to sell out of digital downloads, true, unless you decide you're not releasing more than x number of them in a specific timeframe. It's not so much selling out as choosing to limit supply. Only time will tell whether that's creating "artificial panic" or a sound release strategy.

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

It's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure that 10,000 players jumping all at once into a game shard into the starter areas isn't exactly helpful for a smooth starter gameplay experience. Aion had something like that and it was kind of disastrous, to have excessively populated starter areas or queues for several hours for weeks.

I think Trion with Rift throttled the influx of new gamers to spread it out more, with increasing the population cap in stages.

Hard to tell how BW will do it, but from their statements, they're at least looking at ways how to manage the player population flow. If they'll be successful with it remains to be seen when the moment arrives.

I would hate to be the IT guy when the 'switch' is turned on.

It'll essentially be a legitamate DDOS attack.

Then again, that's why those IT guys get paid the big bucks. :)

Gdemami -

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

And your over zealous dismay is truely awesome.

You are saying basically that BW lied about having limited stock for pre-order.  The work stock would imply a physical item as you don't really "stock" digital items.  Since the pre-order is both physical and digital copies, the statement you are refering to about "stock" or "supplies" (also indicating a physical item) being limited could very well be true.  Physical copies of the game could very well be limited.  Do you work in the manufacturing plant that will be pressing the copies of SWTOR when it goes gold?  Can you say with 100% certanty that "supplies" are NOT limited?  The fact that you are seemingly picking at straw to find something to rebel against "The Man" (i.e EA/BW), shows your actions to be only slightly above trollish. 

Relaxe, take a deep breath, hold it...exhale slowly.  It's going to be ok, you don't have to like the game or it's devs/producers, and guess what....you don't have to play it either.  It's a brave new world ain't it?

• DariusGearDariusGear Member Posts: 94

It is not blind faith, it is called 'knowing some basic financial/advertising laws'. 

I have the knowledge of some basic understanding of 'false advertising' to back me up.

Just look up the truth in advertising act. 

We go trough life with many yet there is a time we must walk our path alone.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Well, I have posted already in this thread both evidence of them saying it is 'limited' and evidence of them saying they are selling it without limit until launch (with the 'LIMITED SUPPLIES' part being shouted, and the 'offer ends at launch' part being hidden in a astrixed footnote).

You can go back and reread it at your leisure, I don't feel the need to keep reposting it.

The trick they are pulling in order to manipulate gullible folks into panic buying is obvious and is just an outright lie, and one they themselves contradict elsewhere in small print. It's just shady business and no customer should be arguing to defend it.

As for them breaking laws on false advertising... well, you said that, not me. Excuse me though if I don't have a world of faith in some random poster on the internet's 'basic understanding' of advertising law.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

I would hate to be the IT guy when the 'switch' is turned on.

It'll essentially be a legitamate DDOS attack.

Then again, that's why those IT guys get paid the big bucks. :)

I read an interview somewhere with one of the IT guys for Blizz that said they almost crapped thier pants when wow went live, they had no idea it was gonna hit that big.  Fortunatly, I think EA/BW  might be a bit better prepped for launch....lol or I can hope they are anyway :)

Originally posted by Blasphim

And your over zealous dismay is truely awesome.

You are saying basically that BW lied about having limited stock for pre-order.  The work stock would imply a physical item as you don't really "stock" digital items.  Since the pre-order is both physical and digital copies, the statement you are refering to about "stock" or "supplies" (also indicating a physical item) being limited could very well be true.  Physical copies of the game could very well be limited.  Do you work in the manufacturing plant that will be pressing the copies of SWTOR when it goes gold?  Can you say with 100% certanty that "supplies" are NOT limited?  The fact that you are seemingly picking at straw to find something to rebel against "The Man" (i.e EA/BW), shows your actions to be only slightly above trollish. 

Relaxe, take a deep breath, hold it...exhale slowly.  It's going to be ok, you don't have to like the game or it's devs/producers, and guess what....you don't have to play it either.  It's a brave new world ain't it?

+1

Nothing more to be said. Nice!

Gdemami -

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Don't the tech guys essentially divert all the servers processing power to the starting areas in the beginning? 

yes I can, and I have demonstrated such in this thread with evidence from their own website.

No, you can't, you have proven nothing, only presented your own subjective conclusion and interpretation of the available data with nothing of it disproving that they aren't using phased or temporary limitations with preordering or having some limits in mind with the launch, as they stated.

But if you want/need to believe that the company you were already disliking is lying, well, fine for you image

Originally posted by Halo-Bump

Don't the tech guys essentially divert all the servers processing power to the starting areas in the beginning? 

No idea as we don't know the server/game architecture. I will say that it isn't that easy.

How do I know? Well, I might not how an IPOD gets made, but I sure as hell know it isn't easy to build one. :P

However, knowing EA's awesome online reputation (this is sarcasm) and how MMO launches tend to be brilliant (this is MORE sarcasm) I wouldn't worry. :P

Joking aside, I am planning and expecting not being able to play when it launches. Doesn't matter cause STEAM XMAS sale will on! ^_^

Gdemami -

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

I wouldn't even blink because I really couldn't care less about any company using a century old marketing ploy, which by the way is true by default since stock is always limited, even if that limit is in the millions. You're so incredibly hyporcitial it's unbelievable. I would understand if I thought for a moment that you held the same righteous attitude when any company uses that self-same phrase, since it's used all the freaking time, but your self-righteous attitude only seems to apply to Bioware/EA. It becomes all the more hypicritical when you've made it clear that you will be buying this game. It doesn't matter whether you pre-order or not since if you really felt so enraged about it you wouldn't buy the game at all. It's all just an excuse to complain like you've done all along.

yes I can, and I have demonstrated such in this thread with evidence from their own website.

No, you can't, you have proven nothing, only presented your own subjective conclusion and interpretation of the available data with nothing of it disproving that they aren't using phased or temporary limitations with preordering or having some limits in mind with the launch, as they stated.

But if you want/need to believe that the company you were already disliking is lying, well, fine for you image

No, he hasn't proven a thing. It's still 3 months before release and I'm sure they're expecting tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of sales between now and then. Whatever limit there may be I wouldn't expect it to be hit so soon and I'll really be surprised if they hit it in pre-orders alone. As a matter of fact if they did I'm sure it would create a bit of a marketing crisis for them. I'm sure they're planning a release day marketing campaign and it wouldn't exactly go over well if they had said campaign and were already sold out. Whatever they sell via pre-orders I'm sure they still expect to sell hundreds of thousands more units, if not more, at release. This is all just a form of trolling.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

launching that close to christmas smells of desperation, people will buy anything kind of junk coming up to christmas and im sure they know this.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

launching that close to christmas smells of desperation, people will buy anything kind of junk coming up to christmas and im sure they know this.

That's a rather silly argument. If anything most people will have already bought their presents by then and won't buy more. Not to mention it doesn't really matter when before christmas you get it, especially if you're not allowed to open it before christmas, either way people won't know what they're getting until they play it. Come on, you can do better than this kind of tripe.

• fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77

Limit on digital pre-orders? silly, they only told us that to force people to pre-order.

Fun fact? they havent reached 500k pre-orders yet. Otherwise they would be braggin that all over the interwebz.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Of course preorders are limited [mod edit]

They have an official launch date.

People who preorder get early access to the game, and start playing before the official launch date.

The ability to preorder will cease to exist at some point prior to the official launch date, therefore, preorders are limited.

As for the number of SW:TOR preorders made so far, EA made official statements to shareholders, claiming Battlefield 3 had over 1 million preorders, and EA also made a statement claiming SW:TOR had more preorders than any other EA title.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Originally posted by fledur

Limit on digital pre-orders? silly, they only told us that to force people to pre-order.

Fun fact? they havent reached 500k pre-orders yet. Otherwise they would be braggin that all over the interwebz.

actually its pretty safe to say they are over 500k pre-orders since, as of monday, there were 463,121 pre-orders from US retailers alone.  this doesnt include pre-orders from digital or european sales.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by fledur

actually its pretty safe to say they are over 500k pre-orders since, as of monday, there were 463,121 pre-oreders from US retailers alone.  this doesnt include pre-orders from digital or european sales.

This is actually a VERY important point being made by gaou.  The sites measuring the pre-order numbers here in the USA are only counting the box pre-sales here in the USA.  They are not counting digital pre-sales.  So if box pre-sales alone is over 450K units, then I can't even imagine what the numbers add up to when you add in digital download pre-sales.  I think it is safe to say over 1 million total pre-sales is not inconceivable.

As for your problem with pre-orders fledur, you seems to think that digital pre-orders can not be limited.  The limit is nothing more than what the company plans on selling prior to the game actually going live.  Considering that that they are doing an early access program, that means they can "phase in" the pre-order players prior to the game going live and therefore reduce congestion on the first "Live" day.  It also means that people can still buy and download both the physical and digital copies of the game on day one if they did not pre-order with the normal circumstances of any game on day one, except that there is likely to be less congestion than normal because a bunch of players have already moved on past the downloading and played enough to be past the starting areas as well.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• DarthMechDarthMech Member UncommonPosts: 40

while i did preorder swtor i must say i've always been a bit leary of the whole preorder thing since the swg trails of obi-wan bait and switch several years ago.