Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Choice to add this to the MMORPG List.

2»

Comments

• nathanebhtnathanebht Member Posts: 34

Its not clear in the MMORPG Game List that its a Action RPG. Even clicking into the entry the fact its labeled "Action RPG" doesn't stand out. This makes it seem you consider Diablo 3 as just another MMORPG.

I would say the rule is if everything instanced, that isn't a MMO. So GW isn't a MMO too. To not have a montlhly subscription they only simulated being a MMO.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,562

Originally posted by nathanebht

Its not clear in the MMORPG Game List that its a Action RPG. Even clicking into the entry the fact its labeled "Action RPG" doesn't stand out. This makes it seem you consider Diablo 3 as just another MMORPG.

This is changing too, eventually.  You'll be able to sort the list by Genre, thereby making sure you don't see Action-RPG, or MOBA, or even MMORTS and MMOFPS if you don't want to.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Problem with this is that people today believe that they can change the definition of a word or meaning of a phrase just because they feel they should be able to.  Diablo 3 is not a MMORPG.  It's not a MMO or a RPG.  A MMO is where you can play with thousands of players at once in a persistent world.  Diablo is neither persistent, nor can you play with thousands of players at once.  A RPG at it's core allows you to interact and change situations on choices that you make in the game world.  Diablo is a linear hack & slash game with little variation.  What you are doing is taking the fringe similarities with MMO and RPG, and you are blurring the lines in a way that shouldn't be.  Grass doesn't mean flower because it grows in the ground.  Car doesn't mean truck because they are both automobiles.  My face and my ass aren't the same because they are both on my body.  The point here is, just because Diablo 3 contains some MMO elements and some RPG elements doesn't mean it's a MMORPG.

If that were the case, then Call of Duty is also a MMORPG. 

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Its NO mmorpg, rediculous it gets a forum on mmorpg.com i think its money that talks here.

Diablo 3 is Hack and Slash action game its not realy even a true RPG.

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Groovydutch

Its NO mmorpg, rediculous it gets a forum on mmorpg.com i think its money that talks here.

Diablo 3 is Hack and Slash action game its not realy even a true RPG.

Agreed.  I'm afraid that this is a bad sign of things to come for this site...

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

I really don't understand why so many people are whining about this game being added to MMORPG.com. People WANT to talk about it and they are hyped for it's release. I mean look at the games in development it's now in the top 4... You don't have to get on here and participate in discussions (arguments lol) about Diablo III so im really not grasping why ur so mad. Haters gonna hate I guess.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,623

I don't agree with it (because it's incorrect), but I also don't care what the site lists in their games section.  If they want to sweep it under the MMORPG rug because it's A.) popular and B.) has online elements, that's their choice.  I don't foot the bills, but I do have to take their list with a grain of salt because of D3 and a few other titles.

Lucikly, there are other sites to read about these games too.  I've been personally irritated when I downloaded a game because I was promised an MMORPG and it turned out to be a CORPG.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,623

Originally posted by RelytDnegel

I really don't understand why so many people are whining about this game being added to MMORPG.com. People WANT to talk about it and they are hyped for it's release. I mean look at the games in development it's now in the top 4... You don't have to get on here and participate in discussions (arguments lol) about Diablo III so im really not grasping why ur so mad. Haters gonna hate I guess.

I imagine some people are "mad" because this is kind of like when Avril Lavigne claimed to be "punk".

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Bad choice it's not an MMO it's a CO-OP RPG nothing more. You wont find thousands or ever hundreds playing the same room.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Originally posted by kanechart

I just wanted to say I felt personally Diablo is a MMORPG by far these days. I mean this is sort of how gaming is going 100% online connection the ability to connect to 1000's of players I mean this is as close to a MMORPG you get these days. Auction house is not used by 4 people but 1000's I mean their again a MMORPG.

hmm ok lol

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Originally posted by RelytDnegel

I really don't understand why so many people are whining about this game being added to MMORPG.com. People WANT to talk about it and they are hyped for it's release. I mean look at the games in development it's now in the top 4... You don't have to get on here and participate in discussions (arguments lol) about Diablo III so im really not grasping why ur so mad. Haters gonna hate I guess...

I'm MAD because someones calling my Diablo 3 a MMORPG!!! TO THE FORUMS!!!

*sarcasm

see my point? :P

People come to forums to complain about Everything imaginable, and when your dealing with the public merd of angry gamers, you best bet there is going to be a lot of sad storys how some gamers life is going to end because they just found out Diablo 3 is going to have real money involved in there precious Diablo 3 game that they love and cherish so.... Whats best of all though is seeing some 16 year old british kid on youtube punching a wall crying that call of duty sucks.

haha

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Really, who gives a s**t, it's a game that is talked about on these forums daily anyhow.  From what I've been reading over the last couple of weeks is that MMORPG is looking to add RPG's to the list of games anyhow.  

Does that mean they need to make a brand new sister site? No.

Besides, D3 IS online, meant to be played by thousands of players - no, not all in 1 game but thousands will be connected to the game simultaneously - and RPG, like many other nerd-terms, is so subjective anyhow (there is a little RPG in just about every game). 

In short, bring it on.

Additionally, you guys want to pick apart D3 NOT being an MMORPG but don't bitch and moan about the other hundred-or-so titles listed on this site that probably don't belong under the genre of MMORPG?  Hypocrites.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Originally posted by Quesa

Really, who gives a s**t, it's a game that is talked about on these forums daily anyhow.  From what I've been reading over the last couple of weeks is that MMORPG is looking to add RPG's to the list of games anyhow.  

Does that mean they need to make a brand new sister site? No.

Besides, D3 IS online, meant to be played by thousands of players - no, not all in 1 game but thousands will be connected to the game simultaneously - and RPG, like many other nerd-terms, is so subjective anyhow (there is a little RPG in just about every game). 

In short, bring it on.

Additionally, you guys want to pick apart D3 NOT being an MMORPG but don't bitch and moan about the other hundred-or-so titles listed on this site that probably don't belong under the genre of MMORPG?  Hypocrites.

No reason to get angry about it.

You ask who cares? Apparently the poster who created this thread does. So this is the right place to discuss and voice your opinions.

This MMORPG.com site has a list in their FAQ that describes what a game must have to be added to the game list. Diablo 3 simply doesn't qualify for all points (point3: persistant game world). I'm sure there are many other games that also should not qualify. But do those game forums have a thread like this?

Does that mean they need to make a brand new sister site you ask? No, indeed not. They simply need to update their FAQ, or scrap 100 games from their list.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 518
    In many ways World of Warcraft's dungeon finder system has reduced the bulk of multiplayer content to the same lmitations imposed by Diablo 3's multiplayer mechanics.