Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so, what do you think? is my ssd dead?

VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

so, this morning my pc started to freez during disk searches and installing programs.  progressively got worse where it

would stall and lock up during any form of disk access.  now on reboots the disk is sometimes offline and it takes a couple cycles 

to get it to show up.  ive got another drive on the same controller thats working fine.  my diagnosis, the ssd is shot.

this is a mushkin calipso deluxe, so what should my replacement be?

looking at the corsair force series sata 3 or vertex 3 sata 3  120 gigs.  theyre both $209

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

I'd start by reseating the SATA cable and power connector, or switching to a different one if you have them.  Well, you surely have a different SATA power connector from your power supply that you could switch to, but may or may not have a spare SATA cable laying around.  If a cable came loose like that, then that will also cause malfunctions.  Also try using a different SATA port on the motherboard.

Failing that, I'd contact Mushkin and see what they say.  The Callisto Deluxe launched just last year, so it should still be under warranty.  While it might be dead, in a considerable fraction of cases where someone thinks their SSD died, the SSD is fine and something else is the problem.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

thanks quiz

ya after i wrote this i already went back and started troubleshooting it on another port.  its getting even more difficult for

the pc to see the drive now and its still freezing so its not the port.  ill definitely get in touch with mushkin but i need a replacement

asap.  if it gets replaced, ill just have a second drive to use or keep on standby.  im confident its shot now though

*edit* i actually used the working drives power and sata cable, then tried another port just few mins ago.  instant let down

If the SSD is dead, you might prefer to use a hard drive as the temporary replacement until Mushkin can fix or replace the SSD.  Spending $200 on a temporary replacement that you use for a couple of weeks makes a lot less sense than spending $200 on an SSD that you plan on keeping for five years.

Originally posted by Quizzical

If the SSD is dead, you might prefer to use a hard drive as the temporary replacement until Mushkin can fix or replace the SSD.  Spending $200 on a temporary replacement that you use for a couple of weeks makes a lot less sense than spending $200 on an SSD that you plan on keeping for five years.

fair advice.  ill just boot on my secondary for the time being.  ya mushkin warranties the drive for 2 years so im sure it will work out ok

Also, when I said to reseat the SATA cable, I meant both ends.  If either end is coming loose, that can cause weird problems.  The same applies to the power connector for a modular power supply.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

actually it's a fairly common problem for SSD.  most of the SSD failures you read about in almost every SSD forum indicate the same issues.   sputtering, then unresponsive, then disappear from bios all together.  this seems to be a compatibility issue.  sometimes a firmware update will fix it, but most of the time you just have to RMA it. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Quizzical

Also, when I said to reseat the SATA cable, I meant both ends.  If either end is coming loose, that can cause weird problems.  The same applies to the power connector for a modular power supply.

I would just swap the cable with the other drive as cables can go bad. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

If it is a Corsair 128gig or 240g you need to update the firmware from thier website forums.

I had the same problem, bluescreen then wouldnt mount on pc reboot.

firmware fixed it.

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

Originally posted by Pitt_Hammer

If it is a Corsair 128gig or 240g you need to update the firmware from thier website forums.

I had the same problem, bluescreen then wouldnt mount on pc reboot.

firmware fixed it.

this isnt a fresh build though.  its been running like a champ for about six months

ill look into a firmware update though once i rebuild my boot drive.  thanks for the tip