Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oil and Gas Industry

killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Anyone currently work in the field? I'm open for experiences you've had in the field and also, if you know of any Oil/Gas jobs.

Thanks...

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Hiya KT

Been working in oil/gas and mining for 10 years now but sorry can't really help ya out unless you want to live in Australia.  

It's a great industry to get into, plenty of work over here especially now as there is a boom on LNG plants.  They are popping up all over the place.

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Flem... You are a flash from the past buddy. Glad to see you :)

I have no idea you worked in the field. I'd say hook me up across the pond... from what I understand Australian's aren't too fond of Americans though!

Any chance you could shoot me your personal e-mail through MMORPG.com's e-mail? I'd like to chat with ya about the industry.

Sent ya a PM with my email.

Oh and we don't mind Americans :)

• SyncrosonixSyncrosonix Member Posts: 341

i have a few friends working at the eagle ford shale field in south texas. one of them works for key energy services. it's one of texas' largest energy companies. they're based in houston. it's a big fucking deposit for natural gas as well as oil. if you have a class a commercial driver's license along with a hazmat endorsement, you can land a job hauling the fracturing materials to and from the sites. the oil and natural gas field truck drivers are compensated rather well. i know for a fact that many of them take in almost $2,000 a week. if you want to go that route, expect to work long, long hours with a fair share of boredom while waiting on site to either be loaded or unloaded.

you can also look into the oil and natural gas fields of wyoming, north dakota, and south dakota. the natural gas industrty is booming right now with no slowdown in sight. 

here's a link showing what the eagle ford deposit is all about: 

http://www.energyindustryphotos.com/eagle_ford_shale__formation_of_s.htm

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Lots of it going on in northeastern PA as well, with the marcellus shale. Everything from actual rig workers, to pretty far reaching support of the drilling has picked up around here. Lots of drilling support, such as truck driving jobs, tertiary tier support such as pump manufacturing, and even minutemen environmental has hired on a bunch (they're a hazmat cleanup crew).

I've been considering going for my CDL w/ tanker and hazmat to get in on it. Even if the shale drilling dries up, there's still OTR trucking to fall back on, which it seems everyone is hiring for around here.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

Originally posted by pyrofreak

Lots of it going on in northeastern PA as well, with the marcellus shale. Everything from actual rig workers, to pretty far reaching support of the drilling has picked up around here. Lots of drilling support, such as truck driving jobs, tertiary tier support such as pump manufacturing, and even minutemen environmental has hired on a bunch (they're a hazmat cleanup crew).

I've been considering going for my CDL w/ tanker and hazmat to get in on it. Even if the shale drilling dries up, there's still OTR trucking to fall back on, which it seems everyone is hiring for around here.

i did OTR trucking for five years. the pay is NOT what any of the companies claim it to be. however, in order to get the better jobs down the road, like the one i currently have, you need to have paid your dues. some people get lucky and find a local trucking job right out of CDL school. there are some companies who'll hire newbies for the oil and natural gas fields. unfortunately for the newbies to trucking, the majority of the well paying companies with kickass benefits require 3 or more years of experience as well as a clean driving record, and they must be able to pass a credit check. looking for one of those gigs as a newbie is definitely worth it.  i'm certain new drivers can find something within the oil and natural gas industry.

you had also better know your shit when hauling hazardous materials. if/when you're quizzed by a DOT inspector and your knowledge isn't sufficient enough, you could find yourself in a world of hurt. tankers are another beast in their own right. you can take a turn as many times as you want "way too slow." all it takes is one time way too fast and you'll have yourself a rollover accident. smooth bore tanks don't have any baffles inside of them. those are the ones where the surge will affect the handling of the rig the most. the surge in smooth bore tanks can be brutal. the baffled tanks have sections in them. they'll slow the surge, but won't prevent it. learning how to shift while hauling liquid in a smooth bore or baffled tank is a must. learn the timing of the forward surge to sync it in with the upshift in gears. if you upshift while the surge is moving backwards, you'll find yourself at too high of a gear for the low rpms, causing you to lug the engine, possibly stalling out. most baffled tanks are for hauling chemicals. 

i had a few offers with several companies. one of those is based in south texas. the other offers came from companies who are headquartered in texas and have sites around north dakota. halliburton has a presence at those oil and natural gas sites. i was looking at possibly working in williston, north dakota for either gold spur trucking or halliburton, or down at the eagle ford site with key energy services. fortunately i found a local trucking job near where i live. it pays rather well. i'm hone on a daily basis and get three days off per week.

and here i thought this thread was gonna flop :)

Thanks for all the love, guys. I know the oil industry is a "big monster" right now in the eyes of the world. Personally, I dont really see it that way, and to be honest i'd rather be outside watching a rig, than inside sitting on a computer... all day.

There are risks invovled with this industry, some adverse over long term, but so are many industries. With call centers coming back to America, you'll hear about people dying of blood clots more than ever before, and not too long from now.

Ive had a few people tell me i need to be elligible for a CDL, and I am. Not sure how to go about getting one though. I've driven boom-trucks in the past, is this similar?

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Hi guys, can we stick to the OP's request and steer away from anything regarding policy or controversy  regarding the industry? Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Originally posted by killerTwinkie

and here i thought this thread was gonna flop :)

Thanks for all the love, guys. I know the oil industry is a "big monster" right now in the eyes of the world. Personally, I dont really see it that way, and to be honest i'd rather be outside watching a rig, than inside sitting on a computer... all day.

There are risks invovled with this industry, some adverse over long term, but so are many industries. With call centers coming back to America, you'll hear about people dying of blood clots more than ever before, and not too long from now.

Ive had a few people tell me i need to be elligible for a CDL, and I am. Not sure how to go about getting one though. I've driven boom-trucks in the past, is this similar?

i also don't see the oil and natural gas industries as monsters. i see them as necessary and vital to job growth. i don't see the renewable energy sector booming like the wind energy sector did in 2008 and 2009. job growth in renewable energy has stagnated. i should know because i worked in that industry for a short period of time before vestas laid off 1200 of its workers due to low profits. it's those in manufacturing and the field service techinicians who get the axe first. all of those renewable energy companies are 100% dependent on corporate welfare. without corporate welfare, they wouldn't be in business. vestas and siemens are always running in the red. solar energies are starting to go belly up. it's a matter of time before wind energy companies start doing the same.

to answer your question about obtaining a CDL, look into your local community college(s) for a CDL program. make sure they're PTDI certified. don't go to some driver mill like the swift academy or some other 3 weeks or less CDL program. 

a boom truck is similar experience. it's something that requires a class B license. most of the employers in the oil and natural gas industry want people who have a clean MVR, clean criminal record, and have a class A CDL with  the "X" (hazmat and tanker) endorsements. a stand alone tanker endorsement is listed as "N" on your license. however, a hazmat endorsement is NOT required for many of the driving jobs. it will, however, affect your starting pay. having the hazmat endorsement will make your starting pay much higher. you'll also most likely get more calls back for a phone interview, possible face-to-face interview, and then a drive test.

here is a news article dated september 3, 2011. it is titled "earning $100K at 'man camp.'" it's about work camps set up by the oil and natural gas industries. the one in this article where one of my friends  is currently living while driving for an energy company out there. it's something to seriously think about if you're down for some riches. be prepared to seriously work hard for that money. it's not something for whimpy people, social butterflies, party animals, the mentally weak, or otherwise. it's a lifestyle you really need to put into consideration. 

http://www.suntimes.com/business/7391868-420/earning-100k-at-man-camp.html

First, Flem, thank you for the opportunity. I sent an e-mail a few days back and haven't heard anything. Just wanted to be sure i didn't step on your toes. Super stoked about the industry...

Second, off topic discussions don't scare me...in the off topic forum. Honestly, I have learned much from the banter between people and the opposing views I may run across, once working in o/g.

I may not be much for driving; however, for "Man Camp" type salary, i'll do a lot of things!

then get the ball rolling! just be prepared for a massive federal background check, be prepared to explain any and all employment gaps, be prepared to possibly have to have them verified by people who are NOT your relatives or immediate family, be prepared for a credit check, and some other very important stuff. if there are no issues with anything, you won't have any trouble breaking into the industry. oh yeah, if you also have some form of mechanical knowledge, that'll put you a notch above the rest of the applicants. in my case, not only do i have an "x" endorsement with years of trucking experience, i also have knowledge in fixing and repairing hydraulic pumps. 

First, Flem, thank you for the opportunity. I sent an e-mail a few days back and haven't heard anything. Just wanted to be sure i didn't step on your toes. Super stoked about the industry...

Second, off topic discussions don't scare me...in the off topic forum. Honestly, I have learned much from the banter between people and the opposing views I may run across, once working in o/g.

I may not be much for driving; however, for "Man Camp" type salary, i'll do a lot of things!

Hey KT,

Sorry been away visiting family this past week so haven't checked my emails.  Will reply in a day or so when i'm settled back home.

Haha Flem, I thought I had scared ya off for good.

Thanks for the update bro.

For continuity here... I have been searching oil jobs online. The contact I have in the US hasn't been responding, and the manager i sent my resume to hasn't responded either. So, i'm researching online. I'm running into a road block here, and the road blocks are "splash pages".

A page that hosts a LOT of informaiton, but lacks on the back-end. I have been unable to locate phone numbers or places to send a resume. When I do find a place to send a resume, it lacks the company information, so if i were to receive a response I wouldnt know who its from. This leads me to believe it's a phishing scam, so i'm leery of sending off my information into the "internet abyss".

Any ideas?

Haha Flem, I thought I had scared ya off for good.

Thanks for the update bro.

For continuity here... I have been searching oil jobs online. The contact I have in the US hasn't been responding, and the manager i sent my resume to hasn't responded either. So, i'm researching online. I'm running into a road block here, and the road blocks are "splash pages".

A page that hosts a LOT of informaiton, but lacks on the back-end. I have been unable to locate phone numbers or places to send a resume. When I do find a place to send a resume, it lacks the company information, so if i were to receive a response I wouldnt know who its from. This leads me to believe it's a phishing scam, so i'm leery of sending off my information into the "internet abyss".

Any ideas?

check out key energy. their headquarters are in houston. they have stuff going on in north dakota, texas, wyoming, and i think some stuff on the east coast. they also have stuff going on in russia. take a look in their careers section and see for yourself.

http://www.keyenergy.com/

some other sites:

http://www.ndoiljobs.com/

http://www.jobs-to-careers.com/index5.php?c1=2&c2=0&c3=2985&c4=119&c5=238&q=Oil+Field&l=

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/jobs/list/q-oil+energy+gas

http://www.alaska-summer-jobs.com/oil_industry_jobs.htm

http://www.halliburton.com/careers/default.aspx?pageid=1901&navid=756   (click on potential employees)

another way to possibly land a job is to go out to an oil and/or natural gas field, locate some important person, and talk to them. it doesn't hurt to put a face to the resume and cover letter. 

Couple of quick hits here:

1) Thanks for the support. I've landed an interview on December 5th, and from the sounds of it, i've already got it locked up.

2) Not sure if i'm excited or a little sad to leave the position i've fallen into. I enjoy it...

Hope it works out for you KT.  Good Luck at the interview.

Any clue what the dress code is for an interview in oil?

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

As with any interview, as nice as you can. Clean shaven is a good idea to. (Depending on the area of work, you might have to wear a gas mask)

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

Smart casual will suffice. 

Spilled some coffee on my clothes while driving up, so I called them up and let them know i'll be wearing work clothes: Hoodie, pants and boots. They said it was fine.

Got the job :)

Had no idea there were so many companies actively looking:

Weatherford

Cyclone

Whiting...

Halliburton...

Spilled some coffee on my clothes while driving up, so I called them up and let them know i'll be wearing work clothes: Hoodie, pants and boots. They said it was fine.

Weatherford

Cyclone

Whiting...

Halliburton...

Awesome mate, well done.

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

You might check Drilling Company's in and around, Elko NV, maybe some listed as, Carlin NV.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

I have been eyeing this thread for awhile.  Funny thing is I just got hired with Weatherford Labs Int... as a well test engineer, and wanted to ask you fine folks about this company, as I am turning in my new hire packet into the office in a few hours.

I don't know what to expect, and any tips would be greatly appriciated. =)

/carry on

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Weatherford

Cyclone

Whiting...

Halliburton...

Grats, maybe I'll see you in the office tomorrow? =D ( I'm serious, see other thread) =P