Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Users Unlikely to play the RMAH Market

13»

Comments

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by WhySoShort

Originally posted by LisXia

Here's a question for you: How are those who actually play for fun going to be able to compete with the item farmers in the RMAH? 

Here is the answer, 10 thousand farmers vs 1 million players.  1 item posted by every player vs 100 items posted by every farmer.

Here is another answer, players in the past have no use for unwanted gear, they vanish as they were deleted or dropped on the floor, or left unlooted.  Famers loot everything and sell on private sites, unchallenged.  Nowadays players can sell everything, and on secured sites which are far more attractive to use than unsecure farmer sites.

Here is another answer, it is no longer possible to tell a farmer from a player, if they both list on Blizzard's AH.

My point is that item farmers spend all their time collecting items, so they'll be able to sell items at much lower prices than the average player. In this way, not only will "normal" players not be able to succesfully make sales, but all the money they spend will end up in the pockets of the item farmers. The average player is still out of the loop. 

How are they going to be able to sell lower? I've literally got no investment in an item. I can sell it for the fees plus one cent and make a profit.

You invested time, and time is money. If you spent an hour getting an item and sold it for, say, five dollars, you've lost money because you could have made more money with that time ($7.25 to be exact). That and you wasted time that could have been spent having fun. 

My point is that as a player instead of a farmer, you'll encounter good items by chance. As a farmer, you'll play those odds and find good items by persistance. The item farmer, therefore, could end up with five or ten valuable items farming in the same time a real player could find 2 or 3 playing the game. 

Time is not money. Time is leisure and it's completely wasted. It's not my job it's a game.  

$7.25? You work cheap.

$7.25 is in the United States. I live in China, and I work for about a third of that. image

I suppose you could say that the problem is that those who work the game instead of playing it benefit from the auction house when it really should be the other way around. As you say, it's not a job. 

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by paroxysm

Originally posted by namelessbob

Originally posted by Sulaa

I cannot suport a game which bring things like RMAH

Enjoy playing every game with an unregulated one then. Not a single game out there is without gold sellers of some nature. Blizzard is making it safe, and adding an absolutely great step towards owning their property like anyone who develops their IP should. I commend Blizzard, and must say bravo to them for grasping the real world.

Or, it could be that the people that don't want anything to do with a RMAH have something against it at a moral level.  It could also be that they know that NO piece of software is 100% secure and without exploitable bugs.  Those people never have and won't go near a third party site that offers it either. 

If you really think the only reason Blizzavision is doing this is to make it "safer" for their customers, you are a little naive.  If they really were doing it just from the bottom of their heart, why would they have multiple fees associated with it instead of just one to cover third party banking transaction costs?

People who hate RMAH on moral grounds need not touch it.  D3 is basically a solo dungeon crawler, you never need to see anyone.

Yes it can be exploited so can any game without RMAH, the same exploitation can happen in D2, did happen, and illegal RMAH have plagued D2 for over a decade.

Blizzard is not doing this out of charity, no kidding.  The million dollar question is, does it worsen the gaming experience for those mature enough to stop pretending this is a morality issue.

Here's a question for you: How are those who actually play for fun going to be able to compete with the item farmers in the RMAH? 

Here is the answer, 10 thousand farmers vs 1 million players.  1 item posted by every player vs 100 items posted by every farmer.

Here is another answer, players in the past have no use for unwanted gear, they vanish as they were deleted or dropped on the floor, or left unlooted.  Famers loot everything and sell on private sites, unchallenged.  Nowadays players can sell everything, and on secured sites which are far more attractive to use than unsecure farmer sites.

Here is another answer, it is no longer possible to tell a farmer from a player, if they both list on Blizzard's AH.

My point is that item farmers spend all their time collecting items, so they'll be able to sell items at much lower prices than the average player. In this way, not only will "normal" players not be able to succesfully make sales, but all the money they spend will end up in the pockets of the item farmers. The average player is still out of the loop. 

How are they going to be able to sell lower? I've literally got no investment in an item. I can sell it for the fees plus one cent and make a profit.

You invested time, and time is money. If you spent an hour getting an item and sold it for, say, five dollars, you've lost money because you could have made more money with that time ($7.25 to be exact). That and you wasted time that could have been spent having fun. 

My point is that as a player instead of a farmer, you'll encounter good items by chance. As a farmer, you'll play those odds and find good items by persistance. The item farmer, therefore, could end up with five or ten valuable items farming in the same time a real player could find 2 or 3 playing the game. 

Time is not money. Time is leisure and it's completely wasted. It's not my job it's a game.  

$7.25? You work cheap.

$7.25 is in the United States. I live in China, and I work for about a third of that. image

I suppose you could say that the problem is that those who work the game instead of playing it benefit from the auction house when it really should be the other way around. As you say, it's not a job. 

China ain't that poor, not everywhere in china hehe, I was in China till yesterday.

If I want to earn money, I will not be working in D3 (if I play).  If I play D3, I am not aiming at getting back my hourly rate, which is something I cannot earn from any entertainment, I am not magic johnson or coby brain.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by Sideras

I'll use the market, wth are people stupid? YOU CAN EARN MONEY, I mean real money, that you can spend on booze and shit.

That's what I'm sayin'. I'll play Diablo 3 and have the crappiest geared max level toon ever because everytime I get a drop that's worth money, I'll sell it

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• sldropsldrop Member Posts: 112

Im more worry about this  being just a  stepping stone....if bliz can get away with RMTAh in D3 and make a lot of money ...they going to add it to SC2 ..then WoW ..then every game company going to follow.....

Do we really want all our game in the future with RMTAH?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

We will see a lot of kids playing this and making real money and I wonder what parents are supposed to counter with when they say I will not pay for the game. "Sok Dad I can pay you instead, I am making a thousand a month right now."

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

This is making me laugh so hard, so many of the above posters saying they will never use the RMAH are talking through their ass, it costs nothing to post an item so all the random but still crap that you find and dont need will 100% go on the RMAH, and if you put it on the gold once instead then your an idiot, or to young to have a bank account.

I will be playing and loving the game, and every single item that I do not equip will be posted to the RMAH, if it sells cool, if not who cares ill post it again and if it still dont sell ill move it to the gold AH, either way I win.!.

To be honest this is a win win situation, anyone moaning about this clearly never played D2, which was plagued with third party scamming and selling websites that sold insane amounts of items for real money, the only differece here is that blizzard are making it safe your not gona get scammed in game and if and when it does happen blizzard can finally take action and fix it, unlike the thousands of pounds scammed from people every day that still play and buy in diablo 2.

Grow a set and stop complaining, play the game use the gold AH, it makes not difference to thos who want to use the RMAH, in fact I bet you can make cash buying from one to sell on the other.

Mr Sheen, Real Money Auction House ?

"WINNING!"

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Dvalon

This is making me laugh so hard, so many of the above posters saying they will never use the RMAH are talking through their ass, it costs nothing to post an item so all the random but still crap that you find and dont need will 100% go on the RMAH, and if you put it on the gold once instead then your an idiot, or to young to have a bank account.

It does cost you money to post something on RMAH and you won't be getting that money back regardles of whether your item sells or not. That's the first step of 3 total steps when Blizzard will be taking their cut from your RMAH dealings: they take it when you post an item, they take it when said item gets sold and they take it when you transfer the money to your account via PayPal or whatever.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

One aspect though kinda bothers me no one in their right mind will post any good item for gold on the normal AH because they figure it will get bought up and then put  on the RMAH and they would not want to be suckers to that. So we all end up farming for thigns ourselves. May be it might promote more trade channel deals or guild only trades. Could actually improve the community.

• PalanorPalanor Member UncommonPosts: 46

From what I've heard and read is that there will be 3 costs to an auction.

1) Post an auction, 2) Blizz will take a small % of the winnings, 3) a Transaction fee so you actually get the money.

This is what I've heard, but time will tell...

Nerf rock, paper is fine -Scissor

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Costs money to post, no thanks. I'll wait for Borderlands 2.

Till then Median XL.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

It will be used.

Blizz will make money.

The end.

Move along.

Now, if you're posting your opinion and stating that you don't agree with this type of model... that's one thing.  But Blizz is going that route and due to the overwhelming volume of players that their games attract... this mechnic will generate a ton of money.

Originally posted by Palanor

1) Post an auction, 2) Blizz will take a small % of the winnings, 3) a Transaction fee so you actually get the money.

thats news to me, got a link for this ?

Originally posted by kitarad

One aspect though kinda bothers me no one in their right mind will post any good item for gold on the normal AH because they figure it will get bought up and then put  on the RMAH and they would not want to be suckers to that. So we all end up farming for thigns ourselves. May be it might promote more trade channel deals or guild only trades. Could actually improve the community.

Gold can be sold for money as well, so it is quite a speculative game

Good luck

Ah I c, I would be willing to bet that the total fee or fee's blizzard take from a sale sum to less than a dollar or pound, and will easily be covered by marking up the price of the item your selling since they said they were not taking a percentage of the sale.

So I find axe of the god slayer, I sell it on the RMH for £10.90 and the 90p covers the cost of listing and selling fee.

Only thing im not sure on is how long a listing lasts before if drops off.

yeah I read it too somewhere, cannot remember where though

• sldropsldrop Member Posts: 112

Ah I c, I would be willing to bet that the total fee or fee's blizzard take from a sale sum to less than a dollar or pound, and will easily be covered by marking up the price of the item your selling since they said they were not taking a percentage of the sale.

So I find axe of the god slayer, I sell it on the RMH for £10.90 and the 90p covers the cost of listing and selling fee.

Only thing im not sure on is how long a listing lasts before if drops off.

You wish lol Bliz going to make max amount of profit.

My guess the fee to put items in AH going to be some what high ...so idots wont post random crap

and maybe a fix 5%-10% of the final sell will go to bliz so they can get max profit.

Then there is still the fee of moving money into ur bank account.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by namelessbob

Originally posted by Sulaa

I cannot suport a game which bring things like RMAH

Enjoy playing every game with an unregulated one then. Not a single game out there is without gold sellers of some nature. Blizzard is making it safe, and adding an absolutely great step towards owning their property like anyone who develops their IP should. I commend Blizzard, and must say bravo to them for grasping the real world.

Or, it could be that the people that don't want anything to do with a RMAH have something against it at a moral level.  It could also be that they know that NO piece of software is 100% secure and without exploitable bugs.  Those people never have and won't go near a third party site that offers it either. 

If you really think the only reason Blizzavision is doing this is to make it "safer" for their customers, you are a little naive.  If they really were doing it just from the bottom of their heart, why would they have multiple fees associated with it instead of just one to cover third party banking transaction costs?

People who hate RMAH on moral grounds need not touch it.  D3 is basically a solo dungeon crawler, you never need to see anyone.

Yes it can be exploited so can any game without RMAH, the same exploitation can happen in D2, did happen, and illegal RMAH have plagued D2 for over a decade.

Blizzard is not doing this out of charity, no kidding.  The million dollar question is, does it worsen the gaming experience for those mature enough to stop pretending this is a morality issue.

If you have morals, you should follow them.  Otherwise, why have them at all?  I'm not the one "pretending" here.

Remember when Blizzard was against such things in their games?  Remember when they said "We'd never do X".

The difference in exploitation is simple.  When duping was present in EVERY single version and expansion for Diablo, Blizzard was not responsible for how it impacted third party sites who were doing sales for items, characters, and currency(though...currency was useless in D1-2 and became an item/SoJ).  Now that Blizzard will have control over it's own RMAH and the game itself, who is responsible if duping rears it's head again in some way?  Who is responsible if there are any account exploits?  How will they handle financial loss of it's customers due to these issues?  How will they handle scamming and such when it has real financial implications?  They are opening up something I'm not sure they are truly prepared for.  Diablo and Blizzard itself do not exactly have a spot free record for gaming security.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

You should be able to find it easily enough.  It was covered on diablofans.com and it was covered on mmo-champion.com.  http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2397-Diablo-3-Auction-House-Announced-Spend-and-Earn-Real-Life-Money! is such a link.  They even said, like the best dope dealers, they'd give you the first few postings free.  Not sure which site covered that part.  They haven't given all the details to my knowledge, but I don't care to keep up on it anymore as I will not be getting that game.  I'm guessing, you will have to put a minimum amount in to even use the system as it has costs based on the cost and sale of the item.  And, since it costs you to remove that money, they are betting you will use it in game to get the most out of it.  Just my guess though.

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

You should be able to find it easily enough.  It was covered on diablofans.com and it was covered on mmo-champion.com.  http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2397-Diablo-3-Auction-House-Announced-Spend-and-Earn-Real-Life-Money! is such a link.  They even said, like the best dope dealers, they'd give you the first few postings free.  Not sure which site covered that part.  They haven't given all the details to my knowledge, but I don't care to keep up on it anymore as I will not be getting that game.  I'm guessing, you will have to put a minimum amount in to even use the system as it has costs based on the cost and sale of the item.  And, since it costs you to remove that money, they are betting you will use it in game to get the most out of it.  Just my guess though.

Dvalon, do you really believe that blizzard are going to run RMAH for nothing?  This in no way will stop RMT from setting up their own websites selling items outside of Blizzards RMAH, they will undercut Blizzards prices and wont take cuts or charge, so people will end up going to the RMT websites instead.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

I will be playing and loving the game, and every single item that I do not equip will be posted to the RMAH, if it sells cool, if not who cares ill post it again and if it still dont sell ill move it to the gold AH, either way I win.!.

And this is where examples like you post fail - you know that listing item on RMAH will cost you REAL MONEY ? Playing RMAH can be costly in your REAL MONEY if you fail at it. Have a fun playing AH for real money with gold sellers :P.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Malevil

And this is where examples like you post fail - you know that listing item on RMAH will cost you REAL MONEY ? Playing RMAH can be costly in your REAL MONEY if you fail at it. Have a fun playing AH for real money with gold sellers :P.

You'll get to post a certain number of items for free. If those items sell, a fee will be deducted from your monies received. There will be a strong incentive to use the RMAH for at least the minimum number of items you can sell for free.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by expresso

Originally posted by zethcarn

People seem to forget Diablo 3 is not an mmorpg.  It's a single player or co-op game with 4 players maximum depending on how you play it.  There is no competitve edge like you would normally see in an mmorpg.  It has been stated numerous times the game will not be balanced around PvP but rather to be a fun co-op experience.  I don't give a damn how the average Joe wants to spend his money,  because it has very LITTLE effect on me.  If anything, a player with bought gear will probably only make your runs a tad easier (if he/she isn't an idiot).

Secondly,  I really doubt most people are going to spend real $$ to gear up every slot on their character.  Most likely they will be missing that single peice of gear that makes up a whole Set and be left with two choices:  Farm it and hope you get it (1-5% chance) or go buy it with gold or cash.  

Lastly,  Diablo 3 is free to play (after the intial box price),  there is no shame in Blizzard getting their cut off the RMAH to maintain the battle.net servers in which we will play on.   The rest of the money could go to releasing patches or developing the expansions.

What this guy said.

I concur as well^^

Everyone needs to stop being so damned concerned with how such and such spends their money and time.  Just play how you like to play and ignore those that buy their way ~ its how we've been doing it to this point already, but now its just legit & sanctioned this time.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

LOL

To suggest that players won't take advantage of the new market system is to display a total lack of understanding of how Diablo 2 changed the Dibalo franchise, and how it changed the perspective of the hundreds of thousands of gamers that played D2 online.

RMT wasn't a limited factor in Diablo 2. It was a persistent issue for Blizzard, something they tried very, very hard to fix on a number of occassions but something that they ultimately failed to address throughout the long life of the game. Duping, botting, etc were rife on ladder and non-ladder servers, and Blizzard really had no idea how to deal with it.

With World of Warcraft Blizzard tried a new appraoch (later in the games life) and that was to hyperinflate the currency in the game, and make it easily attainable for players. This had two effects. Firstly it removed gold as a viable currency for high end items, which is why the game ow uses a token system (a totally seperate economy very loosely tied to the value of gold (and only through proxy services such as echants and the like)). The second thing it did was to near-totally destory the economic system of the game. In one foul swoop Blizzard ruined a very compelling area of the game, and that was something they regreted doing.

With Diablo 3 the solution had to be different. Warden isn't as powerful as they had hoped, and the rest of the industry is moving in the direction of integrating real world currency with their economic systems, combating the impact of RMT by controlling and lightly regulating it. Games like Eve have already taken this step, and more games are intending to do so in the future. This was always going to be an angle Blizzard would explore.

What Blizzard have done is, frankly, genius. They've created a system whereby legitimate player-to-player and service-provider-to-player trades can be used to make real world money without harshly impacting on the in game economy. And on top of that Blizzard makes a percentage on every legitimate trade. This not only benefits players but also beneftis Blizzard, as it creates a status quo between organisations like IGE and Mogs, forever altering the way we perceive these service providers.

I think that you will see widespread use of the system by top end gamers, as well as existig RMT companies. I don't think it's going to shunned, but I do think it'll take players a vast amount of time to get used to the system. Those who did not play D2 online for any length of time will NOT understand why this system is a good thing; I don't expect them to. However those of us who did, those of us with some semblence of basic intelligence, will understand perfectly why this is a brilliant solution to a problem that would have ruined online interaction between players.