Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Is Fatigue Setting In?

123457»

Comments

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by kraash

i could care less if it comes out tomorrow,... my last day waiting was yesterday. at this point they should just cancel it.

Couldn't.

Any ways every time they hype this the destructive force of my "i told you so" face grows ever stronger. The day dreams shatter this glare is going to bore right through my friends eyes, into their mind, rip out their soul, and keep going until it meets a lead wall and divides by zero.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by elocke

You know, it's funny in a way.  We have SWTOR which is all hush hush, NDA and all that, very closed doors and people are frothing at the mouth over it.

In this other corner, I look at a game like ArcheAge which blows the door off any NDA, shows us every tittle about their game and everyone is like "sweet, can't wait to play it, take your time, make it awesome! whoohoo".

See the problem here?

Yeah, TOR is in tough competition with the big guys, like Blizzard with WoW, they have to keep absolutely everything as hush hush as possible so that Blizzard doesn't announce Feature X for the next WoW expansion which turns out to be taken directly from TOR. Blizzard is even trying to torpedo TOR's release date what with speculation that they are sitting on Diablo III and a major content patch for WoW so they can release those when TOR comes out.

ArcheAge on the other hand is aiming for a small, niche market where the big players aren't even close to as gigantic as the TOR/WoW market segment. They don't have to worry about the big guys ripping off features, and no one even cares about the release date.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Totally, but I keep clicking on the articles.

I guess my view on the subject is that beside the SW IP, I haven't really seen anything new.  I hadn't even played an MMO recently and tried Rift.  I made it half way through the first tier of raiding and quit.  That lasted 2 months.  It wasn't a bad game and was worth the box price, but it was basically WoW with some good QoL improvements.

TOR looks like every other MMO I've ever seen.  I can relate all the skills back to another game.  There's your weak slash, your channeled DD, some DoT, hamstring, etc.  I could basically reorganize all my Rift spreadsheets and maybe have to add 5% to update them for TOR. 

Short story, I'm waiting for that "WoW, I need to get this game moment" and it hasn't arrived yet.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• crenshcrensh Member Posts: 6

yeah it feels like the wait is now to long.

• DevianeDeviane Member UncommonPosts: 108

im usually excited  when big news about a game comes out like videos or something...but my hype metter is certanly decreassing....i find myself  often more anxious about  guild wars but  star wars lore is something   gw2  will never had so  swtor still is still my first  choice

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by Nhoj1983

ehh almost every mmo I've ever played I've thought "what if they'd waited another year.. or two even." Thing is the game will never be in development twice.  Trust me as much as you might feel you wish the game was out now no matter the state of the game if it isn't ready you'd be bemoaning the fact a year or two down the line wishing they'd have held on longer.   There are other games to play and things to do.  Life does not revolve around these things no one is injured by having to wait longer.

This is a good point, and truthfully I have thought this before about games I have played in the past.

Life may not revolve around these things, but people perceive injury in different ways. Witness people who hate Smedley because of CU/NGE in SWG. It's long past over, doesn't matter anymore, but theyre still pissed years later. Mood/Emotion is a huge factor in purchasing decisions.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

Bioware's co-founder outright stated WoW was the model for TOR when he stated World of Warcraft "...is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb."

/facepalm  There's your next-gen MMO there...

• objeffobjeff Member UncommonPosts: 97

I stay away from game information before the game is launched. There are very few games that I know that I will try when they come out. SWTOR is one of them. The only information I care about is release dates or pre-order dates..

I've learned from past experience that when I get hyped for a game I do 2 things... can't stand the anticipation and I'm let down because I bought into the hype and pictured the game to be something it's not.

I'm still excited. Can't wait to try it.

• Shadows59Shadows59 Member Posts: 47

Starting to get the feeling that if the game isn't released soon like they said with the pre-orders then the fanbase is just going to dwindle away and they will lose to GW2 or TSW. They had a good hype roll going and should have capitalized on it. It gets much closer to Christmas and they may lose a bunch of pre-orders.

Right now they can say they have a million wanting to beta but most are wanting to test the game before they buy. Not really test it for Q&A so if the wait continues to stretch out they will be going away as well and on to other games.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Corehaven

Some of these companies really need to learn that a big part of hype is generated when something is "new".   A new game is announced and everyone gets excited and wants details.  Then they want new details.  And later, even more new details.  New is exciting. 

But some of these developers need to learn that they should just keep a lid on it until closer to release.  Wouldnt it be great to hear about a new Star Wars mmo made by Bioware of all developters and not only that but the game will be coming out in a few months?  NEATO! 

But see thats not the case here.  Lets announce the game years before it releases so that by the time it does, people are already half burned out on the idea.   Its pointless.  If they had announced the game just a year ago for instance, everyone would be hyped still.  

Its one thing I sort of like about Bethesda.  One minute you had no idea what was going on and the next?  Bam.  We're releasing a new game and it should be out in less than a year.  Its excellent PR.  Other studios really need to learn by this example.  Im not talking about the games themselves as much as just keeping their mouths shut and working hard, and then tell everyone about it when its nearly ready. 

I mean, when my wife bakes cookies she tells the kids she's baking them, but she usually starts long before she tells them.  So they're all excited and only have to wait about 10 minutes or so to eat them.  But if she tells them, " Hey, Im baking cookies tonight. " Hours pass, more hours pass, the kids grow impatient.  They ask about it every ten minutes.  Then after hour 5 they begin to get a little grumpy when thinking about the cookies.  And by the time they finally get them they arent really that excited.  They have more of a "its about time" attitude. 

Who can blame them?  Nobody wants to wait 5 hours for cookies.  And no one wants to wait year upon year upon year for an mmorpg.  Ignorance is bliss, and surprises are always fun.  Especially when they are soon to be had. 

Normally I'd agree with this, but the problem is they couldn't keep a lid on this game even when they were trying to. Maybe some don't remember what it was like prior to Biowares TOR announcement. Leaks, obsessive prying and dumpster diving were the norm. IMO they announceed while they felt they could still surprise some people out there.

Well thats all fine and dandy but it doesnt mean they really have to support that kind of thing.  Which is exactly what they're doing if they give in and start talking about the game and details and all that good business years before release.  Think about all the stupid controversy.  The same sex thing.  Before that people were annoyed with space combat.  Know what?  IM annoyed at space combat.  But if the game just came out and it had it I probably wouldnt have really cared in the end. 

Games really did used to be like this.  You really didnt know every last little detail before you played it.  I remember.  There were surprises in store.  These days they get folks all rilled up and then make em wait.  Its just bad business.  And I cant really support them for having leaks or whatever.  I dont really think they were trying to put things on lock down really.  A few other companies do a fine job of this.  Why not Bioware?  Are they that vulnerable?  I think in the end they have a bit more control over whats revealed than you give them credit for.  Blizzard is working on a new mmo and has been for some time.  Yet we have really NO IDEA what it is.  Thats good PR right there buddy. 

And on a side note.  People?  Bioware is kind of notorious for pushing back those release dates.  They've done it a BUNCH of times.  Im really not surprised.  This time I think they're trying desperately to skirt around a solid date.  They keep talking in quarters or seasons.  Not that it really helps.  But I can understand where they are coming from.  Except for the whole pre order thing.  Now that really does bother me.  I didnt pre order but Im trying to figure out how you justify offering pre orders and bonus items for pre ordering while not giving a release date.  Thats bothersome.  Seems shady too me.  Slimy even.  Im sure they have their reasons.  I just dont think I would morally agree with any of them. 

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

You should have had a third imagine "If you are in the redzone the wait is indefinite"

Honestly I signed up for the SWTOR website the first day it was up, ive been followign the game since then & ever since the whole pre-orders announcement debacle my interest has been on the decline. Cancelling my pre-order at this point is still not out of the question especially since the people I want to play with are all growing dissinterested too.

Kinda bodes badly for how long I will have friends to play with especially since there are so many other great games coming out that havent tried to cleave their communities in two for no good reason. The disinterested SWTOR gamer has plenty of options.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Not for me, with Skyrim, Bf3 and some others on the horizon. I feel there is plenty on the way to hold me over until a decent MMO to launches.

QFT

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

For me personally, I can't dis-agree more.

Has anyone seen the release dates until Mar/2012? It is nuts!

How the heck am I going to play them all? 

Heck, I still have the backlog from the Steam Summer Sale!

For me, delaying SWTOR until Q1/2012 isn't a bad thing. More time to finish off Skyrim/Fifa/NBA/COD/BF3/FM2k12 etc etc etc

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• SharookSharook Member Posts: 72

Well Mr. Bitton and all you other little hype victims obviously haven't played World of Warcraft long enough OR at least not on the right side OR you didn't learn any lesson from that game.

Patience! And Discipline!

The game was anounced two years ago and yet you already want it released? Haven't you had experienced any MMOs in your "player carreer" that were released unfinished, unpolished or even completely half-assed that didn't make it up for the hype BECAUSE of that?

So stop the whine and begone, evil spirits of game release rushing!

Go and play something else first then, BF3,  Guild Wars 2, whatever.

It's not like the story of TOR won't be there anymore or any less immersive and awesone if you just wer't under the first players crammed on the first servers that steal kills from each other in the noob zone.

SWTOR won't be a worse game if it comes out 2 months later or if you start playing two months later.

In contrary, it will be an even better game and your playing experience will be better still. Other games don't matter, because other games don't provide an immersive story in the Old Republic setting.

These complaints sound to me like those of a fat kid surrounded by candy, complaining that it only has one mouth and mommy isn't making new candy quick enough on the same side, and expecting her to deliver the one cake that will have him stay fed and fat forever.

• w4rbytezw4rbytez Member Posts: 17

I enjoy the hype from long waits, personally (might be a sick indulgence). I am kind of a news junkie when it comes to games and it gives me a healthy amount of time to size up a game before I decide if I really want to dedicate some time to it or if its all smoke and mirrors. Besides, deciding how you're suppose to bring balance to the Force should be a lengthy process.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by elocke

You know, it's funny in a way.  We have SWTOR which is all hush hush, NDA and all that, very closed doors and people are frothing at the mouth over it.

In this other corner, I look at a game like ArcheAge which blows the door off any NDA, shows us every tittle about their game and everyone is like "sweet, can't wait to play it, take your time, make it awesome! whoohoo".

See the problem here?

Yeah, TOR is in tough competition with the big guys, like Blizzard with WoW, they have to keep absolutely everything as hush hush as possible so that Blizzard doesn't announce Feature X for the next WoW expansion which turns out to be taken directly from TOR. Blizzard is even trying to torpedo TOR's release date what with speculation that they are sitting on Diablo III and a major content patch for WoW so they can release those when TOR comes out.

ArcheAge on the other hand is aiming for a small, niche market where the big players aren't even close to as gigantic as the TOR/WoW market segment. They don't have to worry about the big guys ripping off features, and no one even cares about the release date.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Maybe I am.  However, my core issue remains the same no matter the game.  NDA's.  Personally I hate them and find them useless.  If I know my game is going to blow the socks off of you, I wouldnt' be worried about any big game or what not.  But that's just me.  I'm a very forward, blunt type of guy and believe closed door sessions need to be nixed.  

On the note of Blizzard and their holding stuff off like Diablo 3, personally I think that's stretching it a bit.  Maybe holding off on announcing what Titan is, sure.  But I bet they announce a WoW expansion at Blizzcon and the Diablo 3 release date.  They like to pat themselves on the back and use their own convention to do it.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

I think its been to long since the anounced the game and the relase. 2 failed launch dates and my bet is the 3rd wont work out as well. Will that matter in the end? No. If its an awesome game then people will play it. People will tell their friends and they will try it. Star Wars fans will play it no matter what. Much like Star Trek fans still play STO even though most MMOers would rather suck on a gym sock then play it. Dont forget the hard core BioWare RPG fan. Their almost as loyal as Star Wars fans, they will play it no matter what. Needless to say. BioWare could come out in 2012 and it will still do well. 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

Originally posted by Biggus99

Originally posted by Jack_Target

Originally posted by shinobi234

Originally posted by Jack_Target

I hate to be the troll, but looking at the gameplay, we have all played it before - it's WoW with Star Wars skins.

yep and i like the wow skins. All i care about is game play and content. i could care less about grachics.

No. I'm saying that the graphics are different (but still cartoonish) but the game play is like WoW.

Explain what you mean by gameplay.  Do you mean questing, tab-targetting, hotkey mashing, endgame raiding, etc?  If you do...welcome to 95% of the MMOs currently on the market.  I mean, if those are your criteria, nearly every game is a WoW re-skin.  

If you mean something else, I'd be willing to bet you aren't correct.  The overall concept is themepark, so in that respect it's like WoW.  The game itself, however, is not a re-skin of WoW at all.  That's an oversimplification for people looking for a reason to not buy the game when the reality is that they've probably just grown weary of the themepark genre of MMOs to begin with.  People that have spent any significant time playing WoW, and at the very least researching this game, can tell you that it's not a simple WoW knock-off in anything but game style.  

Bioware's co-founder outright stated WoW was the model for TOR when he stated World of Warcraft "...is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb."

A lot of people like to take this quote out of context.  Just recently an article said wildstar used Firefly as a touchstone...  it doesn't necessarily mean the game is exactly like firefly.  It means that they can take some inspiration from it.  Not taking WoWs polish and UI into account is pretty stupid.  If you radically change something thats become largely standardized, mainly due to the polish created by one specific game,  then, yeah,  often times you do lose out substantially.  

It doesn't mean SWTOR is exactly like WoW.

• dpcollier128dpcollier128 Member Posts: 38

I find myself more in an MMO fatigue, in general. Nothing's out that will hold my interest for more than a few weeks, TOR has been delayed for forever now in my mind, and more genuinely exciting, mold-breaking MMOs and other games are coming out slightly before or after it releases. I don't know what to do anymore... just do homework and play classic offline games for several months? I'm waiting for either current MMOs to get better or new MMOs to blow my mind... so tired of just waiting for that next big thing.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Corehaven

Normally I'd agree with this, but the problem is they couldn't keep a lid on this game even when they were trying to. Maybe some don't remember what it was like prior to Biowares TOR announcement. Leaks, obsessive prying and dumpster diving were the norm. IMO they announceed while they felt they could still surprise some people out there.

Well thats all fine and dandy but it doesnt mean they really have to support that kind of thing.  Which is exactly what they're doing if they give in and start talking about the game and details and all that good business years before release.  Think about all the stupid controversy.  The same sex thing.  Before that people were annoyed with space combat.  Know what?  IM annoyed at space combat.  But if the game just came out and it had it I probably wouldnt have really cared in the end. 

Games really did used to be like this.  You really didnt know every last little detail before you played it.  I remember.  There were surprises in store.  These days they get folks all rilled up and then make em wait.  Its just bad business.  And I cant really support them for having leaks or whatever.  I dont really think they were trying to put things on lock down really.  A few other companies do a fine job of this.  Why not Bioware?  Are they that vulnerable?  I think in the end they have a bit more control over whats revealed than you give them credit for.  Blizzard is working on a new mmo and has been for some time.  Yet we have really NO IDEA what it is.  Thats good PR right there buddy. 

And on a side note.  People?  Bioware is kind of notorious for pushing back those release dates.  They've done it a BUNCH of times.  Im really not surprised.  This time I think they're trying desperately to skirt around a solid date.  They keep talking in quarters or seasons.  Not that it really helps.  But I can understand where they are coming from.  Except for the whole pre order thing.  Now that really does bother me.  I didnt pre order but Im trying to figure out how you justify offering pre orders and bonus items for pre ordering while not giving a release date.  Thats bothersome.  Seems shady too me.  Slimy even.  Im sure they have their reasons.  I just dont think I would morally agree with any of them. 

LIke I said on an overall basis I agree with you. There's a lot I didn't like about the way in which TOR was announced. Wasn't it in actuality John Riccitiello who let the word slip out during a conference call anyway?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• djvapiddjvapid Member Posts: 80

As long as the wait time reflects how polished off the game is, I can care less how long I wait.  People have said it many times now and it's true in this case: Bioware has a tendency to push games back till they're happy with them.  (With an exception to Dragon Age 2.  No idea what they were thinking with that big pile of crap.)

• w4rbytezw4rbytez Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by djvapid

As long as the wait time reflects how polished off the game is, I can care less how long I wait.  People have said it many times now and it's true in this case: Bioware has a tendency to push games back till they're happy with them.  (With an exception to Dragon Age 2.  No idea what they were thinking with that big pile of crap.)

No doubt. All waits aside, if the game is worth it - I'm playing it. Period.

• hyborith1hyborith1 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited August 2020
    Snip
    Post edited by hyborith1 on
    2020 Comment:

Was rolling in the Old Republic wagon before its release back when i was young. never did use this account for anything more.

• BntyhntrBntyhntr Member Posts: 1

If I was allowed to tell you how the game is I would....but I can't and I won't ....

I can say this....It's addictive....it's fun.....I Will destroy your planet (whoops, sorry, started feeling the Dark side taking over)