Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 Beta - Barbarian Playthrough

DeathspankDeathspank Member UncommonPosts: 139

This is Force's playthrough of the Diablo 3 beta thats currently going on. While his sense of humor might take some getting used to, he does do a pretty good job of explaining the game's features. For those interested in the game, Force will be doing playthroughs for all the 5 classes so keep an eye on his youtube channel.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Watched the first one yesterday and had regrets because of the massive spoilers. Watch at your own peril.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

For the most part, I find in game footage really boring. Even for games I really enjoy playing, watching someone else play is lame. I don't know why. I think it's because I'd rather be playing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Watched a few minutes of it and thats all I want to see.  (In a good way).  The game still seems dark which I like.  Also, I love how they kept the same type of invintory system so thats good.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Looks like the Barrels made it back into the game also.  :/

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Can anyone explain how you get into the beta? Is it just the battlenet opt in for general beta testing where its "beta test the diablo universe" etc?

After I saw one of the boss fight videos I was totally hooked on playing this type of game again. Can't wait for this game to release!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by DarkPony

Watched the first one yesterday and had regrets because of the massive spoilers. Watch at your own peril.

Thanks for the warning, I will skip them.

:D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

Can anyone explain how you get into the beta? Is it just the battlenet opt in for general beta testing where its "beta test the diablo universe" etc?

After I saw one of the boss fight videos I was totally hooked on playing this type of game again. Can't wait for this game to release!

Well, the initial beta was Friends and Family, but they just started tossing out invites to those with beta opt in. Blizzcon a couple years back also had beta key reservations or something to those with the gift bags.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I watched about half. One thing concerns me. I didnt see any randomised maps. All the dungeons and areas are exactly the same for every playtrough

This is very much against spirit of this kind of games. And to add insult to injury, outside maps are no more than cleverly maskedlinear passages.

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

I've watched 6 different playthrough and noticed that it seemed too easy. the guy at ign had a stack of 40 something health bottles and didn't bother collecting anymore or even using any cause of the health regen. Hope the hardest difficulty with the better loot is playable on the first runthrough. and ya i noticed some of the smaller areas looked very similar.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Shame is just Diablo 2 with better grafic , that top down view is so 1990's

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Lukain

Are you implying that the top down view is going to reduce the number of copies that they will sell?  Generally sequels are similar, but better looking when it comes to games.  I'm not sure what you're getting at.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I watched about half. One thing concerns me. I didnt see any randomised maps. All the dungeons and areas are exactly the same for every playtrough

This is very much against spirit of this kind of games. And to add insult to injury, outside maps are no more than cleverly maskedlinear passages.

The way I understand it is that overworld is generaly static with random dungeon entrances and random events (special bosses, side quests and maybe some set pieces) you can see it if you look at few videos, it's like every playtrough, different "switches" are turned on. 

Dungeons are completely randomized though, it's just that areas are not made out of small square screen size areas, they are made out of larger, more detailed pieces, so you get stairs, balconies, generaly more layered spaces.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by yutty

I've watched 6 different playthrough and noticed that it seemed too easy. the guy at ign had a stack of 40 something health bottles and didn't bother collecting anymore or even using any cause of the health regen. Hope the hardest difficulty with the better loot is playable on the first runthrough. and ya i noticed some of the smaller areas looked very similar.

I recall the other Diablo games being very easy on the first chapter of the first difficulty.  I doubt it will be any different.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by SonofSeth

The way I understand it is that overworld is generaly static with random dungeon entrances and random events (special bosses, side quests and maybe some set pieces) you can see it if you look at few videos, it's like every playtrough, different "switches" are turned on. 

Dungeons are completely randomized though, it's just that areas are not made out of small square screen size areas, they are made out of larger, more detailed pieces, so you get stairs, balconies, generaly more layered spaces.

I thought the same.

But watching some of the videos. Smaller dungeons have exactly same layout.

Maybe its different for large dungeons.

But i am quite dissapointed by random generation in the game. (from what i seen)

And its one of main elements of Diablo replayability

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Don't worry that was most likely normal difficulty. Diablo 2 is super easy before you get to Hell :)

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

part of being a beta is being easy. best way to find bugs i guess. i think it was mentioned on the D3 forums. but anyhoo.

GIVE ME A CLOSED BETA KEY BLIZZARD!

that is all

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

Originally posted by fivoroth

Don't worry that was most likely normal difficulty. Diablo 2 is super easy before you get to Hell :)

ya but i dont really want to be forced to play the easy mode and have the story ruined to me just to get nightmare

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

But i am quite dissapointed by random generation in the game. (from what i seen)

I know what you mean, but when i think about Diablo 2, the randomized world was mostly frustrating, not so much interesting, especially on my #th playtrough when I knew where I wanted to get and what to do when I get there. It would just become an exercise in frustration untill I found a way out of the samey maze again and again. 

Dungeons, not so much, because when I entered a dungeon, I was there with intent and intent was to kill every thing moving, so exploring and finding all the monsters had much more sense.

I don't know, I'm neither here nor there yet.

• DeathspankDeathspank Member UncommonPosts: 139

I thought the same.

From Blizz...

The exterior landscape will for the most part be static, but with pockets of randomness (this doesn't include monster spawns which are still quite random). You'll always know where the towns and roads are, and know the edges of the map. We felt that exploring the exteriors to find landmarks and quest areas wasn't very compelling. It's also more productive for co-op to be able to say to a friend 'Let's meet at this shrubbery' and everyone knows how to quickly get there every time. Dungeons are more linear in the way that content is encountered, so they can be randomized quite a bit and you're not very likely to be just running around aimlessly. Iif you do hit a dead end you're at least assured you encountered plenty of battle (and thus loots) on the way. 

So while the exterior is largely static, within that defined landscape there are literal square holes (from small to huge) and within those empty square holes a great number of possible pieces can be dropped in. And they're chosen randomly. So you may play a few games and always see empty terrain in the same place, but on your next playthrough you'll instead have a broken down wagon appear and a quest giver that needs you to go kill a unique fallen shaman who stole his tools to fix it. And maybe the playthrough after that the sqaure puzzle piece is a short dungeon to explore with a big chest or mini-boss at the end. Ideally it'll encourage exploration of the exterior zones over and over, hoping to find that a rewarding adventure has appeared. 

Dungeons on the other hand are completely randomized, same as Diablo II.* All of the halls and rooms and all the bits are shuffled around and it's all different every time. Some of the rooms themselves will offer unique quests if they're rolled up, and in some cases individual rooms themselves have those square chunks missing and within those randomly chosen rooms a number of random events can occur. 

It's a bit involved to explain, but very simple in practice (I believe some images of the square puzzle pieces were actually shown at a BlizzCon?). 

*Some small "dungeons" are completely hand crafted and won't include randomization of layout at all, but these are generally things like wine cellars or other underground areas of a few rooms or less.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

The mobs are level locked at six (6) while the max level you can attain is 13.   This might explain why the beta looks easy.  Like someone mentioned,  they might also be toning the difficulty down (in the beta) so people can play through it to find bugs.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Graphic style perhaps.. but the game's systems are totally different.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

And First~Person is so 1980s, yet its one of the most popular styles of gameplay today!  

• lynshakelynshake Member Posts: 26

it have better auction house system and the class design also pecfect