Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving it the old college try...

elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Reactivation week, double xp...I'm going to dig in and really try and get past level 22 this time and see if the game is fun, worthwhile, etc, whatever, what have you, I'm tired of hearing how great it is and then playing it and getting bored.  I'm bored with everything else right now so why not?  Just hit level 10 on my scout, going assassin, Asmodean or whatever the black winged race is called, on the Zikel server.  Character name is Deimonte for anyone on that server who wants to party, invite me to your guild or whatever.

Comments

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Have fun getting ganked. Especially with you are an asmo. The game has been for many months now dominated across all servers for the Elyos who are all pretty much geared to the max. Even if you are an Elyos and the rifting event is active you will be ganked by twink asmos. Not worth going back to and I played for 2 years.

The game is great but it gets old fast when no one wants to siege to help out the faction etc. I wish you the best.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

So I got to about level 12, past the main city and into the next phase of leveling, levels 11-20.  As soon as I started picking up about 15 quests...my eyes glazed over.  I did the quest where you fly for the first time.  What a let down.  Limited flight?  WHY?  What purpose does it server to limit my flight in a game where my character has huge wings to FLY with?

anyway, I digress.  Went to go do some of the surface quests....run here, run back, run here, run back, kill this many, come back, rise repeat.  Ok...where is the storyline?  That cutscene....that lasted 5 seconds?  That's it?....

Needless to say I logged off.  I'm wanting to barrel past this boring questing....but I can't get up the energy to log back in.  Anyone else have this issue?

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

If you dont like how the quests are now you should just stop, once you reach the Abyss youll be grinding on repeatables mainly.

(Havnt played in a while so that might have changed)

I DO think Aion is one of the better games out currently.

Welp.  I tried, I really did. This game is horrible.  I could post every aspect I found wrong..but it's just not worth the breath.  Let's just say I even went as far as playing on a private server, just to see what the game is like when levels aren't a barrier.  Holy cow this is a horribly designed game.  For those who enjoy it, I really want to know your secret.  Do you take a drug before playing?  Do you turn all sound off and just grind away to your own music?  Do you play the game in a static party?  Seriously, I want to know how you can stomach the banal questing and linear progression this game throws at you.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by elocke

Welp.  I tried, I really did. This game is horrible.  I could post every aspect I found wrong..but it's just not worth the breath.  Let's just say I even went as far as playing on a private server, just to see what the game is like when levels aren't a barrier.  Holy cow this is a horribly designed game.  For those who enjoy it, I really want to know your secret.  Do you take a drug before playing?  Do you turn all sound off and just grind away to your own music?  Do you play the game in a static party?  Seriously, I want to know how you can stomach the banal questing and linear progression this game throws at you.

By not being you and not having the same tastes as you?

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

My secret to playing MMOs these days: Get a second monitor and watch series while playing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

So I got to about level 12, past the main city and into the next phase of leveling, levels 11-20.  As soon as I started picking up about 15 quests...my eyes glazed over.  I did the quest where you fly for the first time.  What a let down.  Limited flight?  WHY?  What purpose does it server to limit my flight in a game where my character has huge wings to FLY with?

anyway, I digress.  Went to go do some of the surface quests....run here, run back, run here, run back, kill this many, come back, rise repeat.  Ok...where is the storyline?  That cutscene....that lasted 5 seconds?  That's it?....

Needless to say I logged off.  I'm wanting to barrel past this boring questing....but I can't get up the energy to log back in.  Anyone else have this issue?

I'm afraid your method of approaching the game might be part of the issue.

Oh sure, it has the same type of quests that you will find in many other themepark games.

But there is a main storyline where you will get more cut scenes. This game, when it came out, didn't exactly hold your hand as far as questing areas and people would be surprised to find quests pop up i areas they were already in that were for their newly attained level.

To be honest, it seems to me that you approached the game with a certian level of cynicism. The whole flight thing was explained a long time ago. As an fyi, when the game was first announced the developers had no intention of letting players fly at all. The "flight' was for getting from one hub to another. But then players got excited about flight and the developers were forced to rethink how they implemented it. And you are only at the first levels, there are whole areas where one can fly.

Part of the problem of flight (and why Bethesda removed it from Oblvion and their games going forward) is that it can break a scenario or area or force the devs to come up with artificial contingency plans if a player decides to fly over everything.

You literally can completely dismiss an area if you can easily fly over it and constantly engaging a player if they attempt to fly will eventually seem odd.

But getting back to my first thought, If you like pvp then Aion will shine a bit more. Essentially getting into a group and fighting for your side and legion.

If you don't like pvp and are just going to take quests and run back and forth without getting into the world space, the lore, etc then this game is going to get tedious like any other theme park game.

There are actually some really nicely written quests and of course there is a main questline very much like LOTRO.

But given your levels, you are still at the infant stage of your character.

However, if the game is unbearable at those levels then there is nothing else to say, it's not for you.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

The simple answer is that you're not cut out for MMOs. A slow,  expanding build and steady progression of an avatar through quests and instances just isn't for you. You might be better off in a MOBA or CD/TF-type game. Perhaps you might even try Guild Wars.

I don't mean this as an insult. Right now, I'm leveling two characters, one an asmo and the other an elyos. They are both lvl 46, and I'm having a blast. I enjoy the storylines, the quest text (it's actually well done), the grouping, the flight, the pvp, and the overall progression/growth of my toons.  So when I have a bunch of quests in my log, I actually *like* it--I don't throw my hands up in despair and ragequit.

Honestly, if you don't like having to do quests, and you can't even get past level 12, it's time for you to say goodbye to MMOs in general. I hear Dragon's Nest is going live next week--you might want to check it out as it might be more your taste.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• getonagetona Member UncommonPosts: 98

if they let you fly with out falling the game's gonna be retarded version of Star Fox.

the flying bit its more of the pvp gimmeck/mechanics.

Quest, Fly, Gank, Quest, Fly, Gank.

Fly Gank Gank Fly Land. Gank Gank!

if you can fly  the whole time they gonna make it like EvE Online.

Originally posted by Boardwalker

The simple answer is that you're not cut out for MMOs. A slow,  expanding build and steady progression of an avatar through quests and instances just isn't for you. You might be better off in a MOBA or CD/TF-type game. Perhaps you might even try Guild Wars.

I don't mean this as an insult. Right now, I'm leveling two characters, one an asmo and the other an elyos. They are both lvl 46, and I'm having a blast. I enjoy the storylines, the quest text (it's actually well done), the grouping, the flight, the pvp, and the overall progression/growth of my toons.  So when I have a bunch of quests in my log, I actually *like* it--I don't throw my hands up in despair and ragequit.

Honestly, if you don't like having to do quests, and you can't even get past level 12, it's time for you to say goodbye to MMOs in general. I hear Dragon's Nest is going live next week--you might want to check it out as it might be more your taste.

Please, feel free to look at my post history and come back to me when you stop assuming you know my gaming habits.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Sovrath

I'm afraid your method of approaching the game might be part of the issue.

Oh sure, it has the same type of quests that you will find in many other themepark games.

But there is a main storyline where you will get more cut scenes. This game, when it came out, didn't exactly hold your hand as far as questing areas and people would be surprised to find quests pop up i areas they were already in that were for their newly attained level.

To be honest, it seems to me that you approached the game with a certian level of cynicism. The whole flight thing was explained a long time ago. As an fyi, when the game was first announced the developers had no intention of letting players fly at all. The "flight' was for getting from one hub to another. But then players got excited about flight and the developers were forced to rethink how they implemented it. And you are only at the first levels, there are whole areas where one can fly.

Part of the problem of flight (and why Bethesda removed it from Oblvion and their games going forward) is that it can break a scenario or area or force the devs to come up with artificial contingency plans if a player decides to fly over everything.

You literally can completely dismiss an area if you can easily fly over it and constantly engaging a player if they attempt to fly will eventually seem odd.

But getting back to my first thought, If you like pvp then Aion will shine a bit more. Essentially getting into a group and fighting for your side and legion.

If you don't like pvp and are just going to take quests and run back and forth without getting into the world space, the lore, etc then this game is going to get tedious like any other theme park game.

There are actually some really nicely written quests and of course there is a main questline very much like LOTRO.

But given your levels, you are still at the infant stage of your character.

However, if the game is unbearable at those levels then there is nothing else to say, it's not for you.

An RPG with a terrific flying experience is Divinity 2, loved it when you could turn into a dragon and fly around blowing up the islands and their guns

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Please, feel free to look at my post history and come back to me when you stop assuming you know my gaming habits.

Why should I care about your gaming habits? I could care less. I based my response on your posts in this thread, which were quite revealing. Actually, after reading through this thread again, I feel like I have been trolled. Well done.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

So I got to about level 12, (...)

I stoped there.

I think i made my point! ^-^