Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you got to have your favorite MMO remade with superior graphics, which would it be and why?

123457»

Comments

• Fessor111Fessor111 Member UncommonPosts: 33

Everquest 1 with all expantions, EQoA (For Ps3 with no Pal and NTSC restrictions) and Anarchy Online.

Zoos the Slacker

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175

Hm its probally a tie between EQ1 and DAOC

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

wow 2 could be awesome with mature graphics and m rating.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Dark Age of Camelot.  It would need to have a modern interface as well.  Fun PvE and fun PvP.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

SHADOWBANE / UO / AC1  ...no need to explain 3 of the best mmorgp's and pvp games ever made 

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Actually Vanguard already has superior graphics ... so I need nothing of this sort.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by Vercinorix

It doesn't matter because odds are you're not going to get it.

The fate of EQ2 coupled with the almost universal fading subscription base of older MMOs *as well as the disunity of the fanbase in forum threads like this one* fairly screams a warning to developers (and investors) that nostalgia isn't enough to guarantee success in the MMO market.

Planeside 2 might be an exception because the argument can be made that the original was a game before its time, and was badly handled upon release. It also has effectively zero competition from any other MMO game currently out there.

Edit: added the line enclosed in * *.

Planetside is an exception to pretty much any topic in MMORPG.COM cause it's not an MMORPG it's a MMOFPS.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Only one old game is worth that--WOW

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Umm...excuse me...but isn't WoW being developed and updated the whole time?

I mean the graphics look modern and good enough for me at least...

The case of WoW for me is the childish look and non-dynamic gameplay...

• Dave08Dave08 Member UncommonPosts: 67

FFXI - pre-Abyssea

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

Originally posted by Dave08

FFXI - pre-Abyssea

+1

but needs some changes

No exp loss but Debt exp (so @lvl 75 u dont need buffers in order to keep doing endgame)

but with probably less time sinks >< (airships .....)

Change outdoor bosses to forced spawns or bcnms  reset 1 time/week  = less botting

More balanced jobs (so no1 is forced to solo in order tolvl up , pup/blm/smn ect)

FFXI was an amazing game ........

and thats it probably ><

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by sfly2000

Umm...excuse me...but isn't WoW being developed and updated the whole time?

I mean the graphics look modern and good enough for me at least...

The case of WoW for me is the childish look and non-dynamic gameplay...

Agreed.  WoW's graphics actually have improved - in terms of armor and weapons and structures - the problem is that for some reason, either because they are unable or unwilling, Blizzard has neglected to alter the basic models for playable races, even though they obviously worked on the textures for Thrall, Garrosh, etc., to the point they are no longer just orcs with slightly varying appearances that could have just as easily been created in the "character customization" screen.

If it would require a massive downtime or somehow inconvenience players, then I can understand, but from what I know of game programming, it would not.  In fact, it could be implimented in a patch just as the other subtle graphical changes were.  Yet the point is, here we are (not me personally as I'm not currently playing WoW for this and several other reasons), with the same, let's face it, UGLY, LIMITED character models that have been outdated for years, while NPC's get face lifts.

Blizzard (despite my opinion that they are a traditionally lazy company) deserves some props for increasing texture detail for a couple of key features of the game, but why not change the graphics that affect players most: their own?  Maybe if humans didn't look so damn goofy, I'd have kept playing a little longer.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Original Everquest. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MorovanatorMorovanator Member UncommonPosts: 26

Asheron's Call...

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Amathe

Original Everquest. 

Thats what SOE apparently is doing with their EverQuest Next project.

• CagedApeCagedApe Member Posts: 13

Also, to anyone who did not say UO.. You are incorrect.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

" StarFlight " was the first game i ever stayed up all night playing i liked it that much.

It was not an MMO but it led me to Ulitma then EQ.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Adamantine

Originally posted by Amathe

Original Everquest. 

Thats what SOE apparently is doing with their EverQuest Next project.

No, Everquest:Next is a WoW rehash. If you look @ the pre-alpha screenshots it's EXTREMELY low polygons with crayon colors. Horrible Horrible looking screenshots for even Pre-Alpha.

However, I'm holding off 100% judgement until I see Alpha or Beta screenshots, because the Pre-Alpha screenshots for PlanetSide2 were amazing.

Just saying...

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Meridian 59!! Would be amazing, especially if PvE was expanded in the process.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Adamantine

Actually Vanguard already has superior graphics ... so I need nothing of this sort.

It's been some time since I last logged in; have they updated the graphics to get rid of that shiny plastic look all the textures had?

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Everquest before Luclin, or DAOC before Atlantis.

^^

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Asherons Call

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

UO post trammel, pre-power hour, pre-artifacts.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

FFXI because it was a game where communities and guilds meant something to the game. Today almost every mmo is all about solo play,  mmos are in a sad state at the moment.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

No, Everquest:Next is a WoW rehash. If you look @ the pre-alpha screenshots it's EXTREMELY low polygons with crayon colors. Horrible Horrible looking screenshots for even Pre-Alpha.

However, I'm holding off 100% judgement until I see Alpha or Beta screenshots, because the Pre-Alpha screenshots for PlanetSide2 were amazing.

Just saying...

I'm pretty sure there aren't any screenshots out right now. Just concept art.