Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The game people complain doesn't exist?

2»

Comments

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Originally posted by randomt

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

I wonder what the pop of VG would be if everybody who lamented the 'low pop' status actually resubbed at the same time...

I was going to install and give 'er another try, but it seems I have to pay em cash for that, so I'll just have to wait til the next "hey here's some free time to try it out again" deal (dont want to make more than one soe account, for reasons that should be obvious heh)

start a new account and get the trial. unless you want to see the other areas.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Point well taken Squall and yes, cities should feel more alive. My main point was with the main part of the game, out in the wilds when grouping or soloing. With how varied the content level is you can be in the same level range as others but be questing in a different area. You won't see as many people as you would regular linear quest games.

That is why I inquired about a "player's choice city" since there is a low pop and it would be nice to see more around me. There is a chance here to be part of a real player community if people would play instead of not playing because the pop is low. To each their own though, I'm havng fun. I wold argue that if you got into a known guild you wouldn't have grouping problems but I'll have to get back to you. I created a Bard so I'm still on the island. Such an awesome class.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

I have quit and come back to VG at least six times.  Every time I came back I would leave because the world just seemed... bleh.  Did I get into a guild or even be remotely social to the players around me? Nope.  As soon as the next shiny thing came along promising "the greatest MMO experience your senses can handle!" I left for what I thought was greener pastures from a game with an epic idea that fell far too short to accept.

In my case I was wrong.  Vanguard has been everything I hoped for in '07 for at least a year.

Each of the games I chased was good for a while but the themepark linear system bored me by it's lack of real freedom.  I complained to others that I was tired of the same format and wished there was a game with a least a little wiggle room.  I'm tired of being driven through the whole story.

I've heard comments and whole posts about how MMOs are too easy or they hold your hand or are all like WoW.

Are they talking about Vanguard?

this is exactly my experience. and i beileve you have hit the nail on the head. there are only about 3 games currently that i think fill the pve old schooler's cry and they are, in order, Vanguard, Ryzom, and Istaria.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Vanguard was a very good game,the timing was just bad as the big named games all had their player base entrenched.

However RMT totally ruined the market in FFXI so i quit and went to try VG,I was happy it was a very nice game.It was however tough to move from a game i liked a lot in ffxi,i tohught it's design was the best out there,so all the little things in VG would sort of irk me even tohugh they wern't that bad.

The chat was something i never witnessed playing FFXI,it was never helpful it was always tons of spam WTS or WTB that is the only thing it was used for.I often found that i was the ONLY one trying to answer noob questions and when i needed help then i was out of luck.

The crafting was great but what really pissed me off was when certain players would buy RMT so they could buy all the rares to be first selling the best items.First means best profit,by time the legit players got to compete the market was flooded.

VG made a huge mistake in giving quest mobs good drops,so the first players to hit higher levels would sit there and camp your quest mob so you couldn't finish the quest.I am pretty sure it was RMT selling the drops.Now all the games are going F2p can you imagine what is going to happen to gaming ,just aweful once RMT ruins it.

IMO and i am only speaking for myself,VG is a REALLY good game,but to satisfy me i need a game that offers a mix of FFXI and EQ2/VG.After experiencing a sub class system,i find it  tough to accept any other design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

My opinion is... Since Sony didnt touch Vanguard they havent dumbed it down, therefore it stays pure and challenging.

Its a blessing and a curse.