Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume Question - Adobe?

killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Just wondering here,

Have you ever used Adobe to create, or update your resume? I'm looking to update mine with some recent skills, but not sure what to go with.

I'd appreciate any information if you've used Adobe to accomplish this.

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

Comments

• HardWalkerHardWalker Member Posts: 84

Why would you use Acrobat to mess with your resume? That's doing things the hard way. It can be done, but it's so much easier to just use MS Word or OpenOffice Word and print it to PDF. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by HardWalker

Why would you use Acrobat to mess with your resume? That's doing things the hard way. It can be done, but it's so much easier to just use MS Word or OpenOffice Word and print it to PDF. 

If it's in a format the employer doesn't want to mess with it is less likely to be seen too. If they specify .pdf would be the only time I'd vary from the norm.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Rule of thumb is *always* .doc or .docx format (MS Word), say .pdf available on request.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Thanks for the heads up.

Usually, MS Word is the way to go, but in this instance the resume a friend forwarded to me is in .PDF format. He sent this to the same person I will send mine to.

So, I can create a resume in word and then load it into Adobe, right? Would the formatting be the same?

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

Originally posted by grunty

Originally posted by HardWalker

If it's in a format the employer doesn't want to mess with it is less likely to be seen too. If they specify .pdf would be the only time I'd vary from the norm.

Right.

But, you can "Print to PDF" in Word and OpenOffice.

Originally posted by killerTwinkie

Thanks for the heads up.

Usually, MS Word is the way to go, but in this instance the resume a friend forwarded to me is in .PDF format. He sent this to the same person I will send mine to.

So, I can create a resume in word and then load it into Adobe, right? Would the formatting be the same?

Yes, it should be an extension that says "Save to PDF" or in the print screen you should have an option that is "Print to PDF" instead of a printer.  OpenOffice is the same way. 

If you need to modify an existing PDF and it doesn't areas that you can modify built into the PDF, then you're going to need Acrobat Pro.

Acrobat Pro is $199. 

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro.html