Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Choice to add this to the MMORPG List.

kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

I just wanted to say I felt personally Diablo is a MMORPG by far these days. I mean this is sort of how gaming is going 100% online connection the ability to connect to 1000's of players I mean this is as close to a MMORPG you get these days. Auction house is not used by 4 people but 1000's I mean their again a MMORPG.

BTW Let's talk about MMORPG

Massive Multilayer Online Role playing Game.

Massive: The ability to play with 1000's of players and access to communication directly and auction house system and much more. Yeah pretty much PSU/Guild Wars...

Multiplayer: The game only is muliplayer no question in that.

Online: Again the game can only played online no offline mode...

Role playing: levels, stats, skills, items...

Game: Not sure though if Diablo is a game or going be a new job for some but anyways will consider it a game still..

Seams that's Diablo III fits the MMORPG. Please understand MMORPG's are adapting to new ways and styles left and right and it's borderline for some but might be the actual future :)

The only thing Diablo 3 is missing is a so called open world lobby then it's 99% like the rest the MMORPG's that are Guilds Wars, PSU, many more ;)

SNIP

Comments

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

Its a popular game worth talking about, so Im glad its on this site of all sites.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Unreal024

Alrigh, I give in. If just being able to chat with other people makes something an MMO then so be it. Diablo 3, all the MOBAs, GW, WoT, etc. are all MMORPGs.

But if that's true then I think it's time that we as MMO players come up with a new term for the, ahem, "true" MMORPGs. The ones where you don't just log into a chat client before entering an instanced game with a handful of other players. Games like WoW, LoTRO, Rift, EvE, UO, DF, etc. Whats a good term? SMMORPG (Super Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)? Sounds good to me.

Anywhoo, grats to all the D3 and Blizzard fans for getting your game listed. I'm happy for you. Now I'm just patiently waiting for Torchligh 2, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile listings, MMORPG.com.

I tend to call those MMOG's.

I say mmoG's because they feel  more like games with a fantasy look and lots of players around you.  I don't feel there has been a true mmoRPG in the last 5 years.  To get anything that I would classify as an {x}RPG, you'd have to look for single player games for that kind of depth and immersion.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • AlanthusAlanthus Member Posts: 119

Don't really care if it's an MMO, the title will be big enough with enough regular MMO players to make itself felt across the a lot of MMORPG boards and it's much easier this way to tell people (politely) to take the discussion to the correct game board or discuss D3 things on the correct board if that's your fancy :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't agree that it is a MMORPG, but maybe the site should broaden up a little and add all RPGs to it, there is room for it and most people here likes if not all then most kinds of RPGs.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

I thought Diablo III was an online roleplaying game... I dont remember ever reading/seeing anything on any scale that could justify it being called massive by any means but I dont really follow diablo so maybe something has changed.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Diablo 3 a MMORPG?   o.O

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

By your definition, pretty much all online games are massive if they have a big enough playerbase... Needless to say, I don't agree with it. Outside of the actual game rooms there's just a chat room and an auction house. Nothing massive about it.

And for the record, Guild Wars ain't an MMORPG either - I believe it's called a CORPG (Competitive/Cooperative Online Role-playing Game).

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Kaerigan

By your definition, pretty much all online games are massive if they have a big enough playerbase... Needless to say, I don't agree with it. Outside of the actual game rooms there's just a chat room and an auction house. Nothing massive about it.

And for the record, Guild Wars ain't an MMORPG either - I believe it's called a CORPG (Competitive/Cooperative Online Role-playing Game).

I see people more often in GW than I do in WoW.  I can level in WoW and basically never see another player in the world.  Go to a minor hub and still not see anyone.  At least in GW I see people in every single town.  By the strict definition of MMO then it is an MMO (GW I mean).  Its a massive (as in access instantly to lots of other players) multiplayer online rpg. Diablo isnt an MMORPG because at any given time you can only interact with a small number of people.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by punchrx

I thought Diablo III was an online roleplaying game... I dont remember ever reading/seeing anything on any scale that could justify it being called massive by any means but I dont really follow diablo so maybe something has changed.

Lol, I am not so sure about the roleplaying part either. The first 2 games were considered "Action games" at the time. But it is possible that the term RPG have changed since then. IF you want to compare the difference compare Diablo (1 and Baldurs gate who was considered a RPG.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by marinrider

I see people more often in GW than I do in WoW.  I can level in WoW and basically never see another player in the world.  Go to a minor hub and still not see anyone.  At least in GW I see people in every single town.  By the strict definition of MMO then it is an MMO (GW I mean).  Its a massive (as in access instantly to lots of other players) multiplayer online rpg. Diablo isnt an MMORPG because at any given time you can only interact with a small number of people.

A Call of Duty game with as many people per server as a Guild Wars zone is an MMO?

That is one of many examples of why I don't think we ought to define genres by their titles. You can call Baldur's Gate II a fighting game that way.

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by punchrx

Lol, I am not so sure about the roleplaying part either. The first 2 games were considered "Action games" at the time. But it is possible that the term RPG have changed since then. IF you want to compare the difference compare Diablo (1 and Baldurs gate who was considered a RPG.

Yeah, at some point we stopped defining RPGs by design philosophy and started defining them by gameplay mechanics.

omglolstats.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • uotowndrunk2uotowndrunk2 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Although Diablo 3 is a very significant game, and it will have a large fanbase, just like Guild Wars (I dont consider this a MMORPG either), it truly is not an MMORPG.   Yes, breaking down each element of Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game, one might claim it is in this category, but you must understand the Genre's past before you can truly understand the entire phrase.   Massive Multiplayer goes back to the basic 4, and for those that don't know the basic 4 (Ultima Online, Everquest, Asheron's Call and Dark Age of Camelot).  Massive Multiplayer was having those same 1000 players all in the same pixel of your screen (Which often meant a complete server crash).  Online, what stuff these days arent online, guess Online Poker should fall under this category as well.  Role - Playing Game, Diablo 3 does hit this one on the mark completely, since thats the Genre it truly falls under.  

Okay, now for the real differences in the Genre.  A Persistant World (Which is hosted by the Developer), Blizzard has stated in several interviews that they are not a Persistant World, Diablo 3 is not a Persistant World, it is like Diablo 2 where you load up a screen.   In otherwards, your control when you save the game, and based on that save point, which save point you load the game.   A true MMORPG, is saved when you log out, the world continues to run while your gone.  And wallah, when you sign back, the time that passed while you were gone is done and over with, so if you missed some sort of special boss the Devs spit out at you, your loss.   Also, Id like to point out some original flaws with this Genre, the dreaded Roll Back, which you wont experience in an RPG like Diablo 3.

So, to reinterate my point, Diablo 3, although a game to be certainly talked about and definately deserves a spot for fans to talk about, it certainly is not an MMORPG, but it is certainly a new breed all in itself.   Its more like a MOMRPG, Massive Online Multiplayer Role Playing Game, remember, Multiplayer has no set number, so be it 2 - Infinity, still Multiplayer.   Anyways, I am still glad that Diablo 3 was added to the list because regardless of titles, its still a game that is being followed highly.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

But if that's true then I think it's time that we as MMO players come up with a new term for the, ahem, "true" MMORPGs. The ones where you don't just log into a chat client before entering an instanced game with a handful of other players. Games like WoW...

meh... I thought that was a pretty good definition of what most people do in WoW =/  If you consider Org or SW one big chat room, and all you do is sit there in queue 'till your 5-10man pops then rinse & repeat.  I certainly wouldn't call it a shining example of what a "true" mmorpg is...

Aaanywho, I'm sure there are many mmo players interested in D3 and appreciate having the information in one place.

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120
    Not really a MMO. But again this is a business and w/e brings hits/traffic will be listed, doesn't matter about integrity.

Considering I'm sure we will never see any other game that uses a lobby system etc Hell this game at max lets you play with 4 people, that's almost every game out there that has some kind of online capacity to it and sets up public games.

I don't get why they didnt just setup a RPGguru or w/e like that did for FPS and RTS.
  • just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

D3 threads almost always need to be locked so far lol not really off to a good start.. I agree that it should have a spot on here but the stink some people seem to be making over it almost makes it worth not having.

Funny thing is, I bet every single one of those people saying it doesn't belong here will use these forums for it (if they plan on playing it still).

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

I would call it a MORPG or MOARPG.  I don't see an Action Online RPG being classified as a MMO.  LOL, now I want a Diablo MMO, with Cow Zone. =)

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by kanechart

Massive: The ability to play with 1000's of players [simultaneously] . . .

You forgot the simultaneously part.  Minor oversight.  Just saying.  Can't wait until Battlefield 3 gets its' own forum on mmorpg.com.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

As to what some one said about, about use changing the definition of what we call an MMO or a true MMO, we should start a thread about it as I feel its a topic all its own.

In the mean time I agree 100% the boundery between what was traditionally called an MMO and what is now called an MMO is so blurry now that Diablo 3 is being considered an MMO , its not an MMO in any sense of the word, at least not a true mmo.

What is a true mmo, I think its the question we need to answer first.

MUST HAVE

• Open world - a vast world hosted in a single shard where any player can login, goto a location and meet any other player on the server who is also at this location, this rules out games like star trek , spiral knights and other crappy sharded to hell games, it also rules out stuff like world of tanks, diablo 3 because their multi shards of the same maps.

• Massivly Multi Player - over 100 at least online on a single server/shard at any given time, I know 100 sounds low but its the minimum I think that we could call massive, and this number rules out almost all FPS games, world of tanks, diablo, star trek, spiral knights

• Virtual world - Must contain a massive virtual world that the player moves around, this rules out the trash like farmville and its 40 million players, as well as other crap like it, which get labeled casual mmo's.

• RPG - Must contain elements of character advancment or role playing where a player can invest time and skill in advancing their character or its story.

So I would recomend that from now games like Archeage,wow,Tor be called OMVRPG's Open World Massivly Multiplayer Virtual World Role Playing Games.

This simple terms rules out as far as I can see all the crap that people complain should not be on this site.

/me walks off to check if www.omvrpg.com is taken.

• adis5005adis5005 Member UncommonPosts: 46

You should have wrote MMORPG not MMO, since Massive Multiplayer Online game doesnt have to have any of these things, a MMORPG does thou.

• uotowndrunk2uotowndrunk2 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by uotowndrunk2

Although Diablo 3 is a very significant game, and it will have a large fanbase, just like Guild Wars (I dont consider this a MMORPG either), it truly is not an MMORPG.   Yes, breaking down each element of Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game, one might claim it is in this category, but you must understand the Genre's past before you can truly understand the entire phrase.   Massive Multiplayer goes back to the basic 4, and for those that don't know the basic 4 (Ultima Online, Everquest, Asheron's Call and Dark Age of Camelot).  Massive Multiplayer was having those same 1000 players all in the same pixel of your screen (Which often meant a complete server crash).  Online, what stuff these days arent online, guess Online Poker should fall under this category as well.  Role - Playing Game, Diablo 3 does hit this one on the mark completely, since thats the Genre it truly falls under.  

Okay, now for the real differences in the Genre.  A Persistant World (Which is hosted by the Developer), Blizzard has stated in several interviews that they are not a Persistant World, Diablo 3 is not a Persistant World, it is like Diablo 2 where you load up a screen.   In otherwards, your control when you save the game, and based on that save point, which save point you load the game.   A true MMORPG, is saved when you log out, the world continues to run while your gone.  And wallah, when you sign back, the time that passed while you were gone is done and over with, so if you missed some sort of special boss the Devs spit out at you, your loss.   Also, Id like to point out some original flaws with this Genre, the dreaded Roll Back, which you wont experience in an RPG like Diablo 3.

So, to reinterate my point, Diablo 3, although a game to be certainly talked about and definately deserves a spot for fans to talk about, it certainly is not an MMORPG, but it is certainly a new breed all in itself.   Its more like a MOMRPG, Massive Online Multiplayer Role Playing Game, remember, Multiplayer has no set number, so be it 2 - Infinity, still Multiplayer.   Anyways, I am still glad that Diablo 3 was added to the list because regardless of titles, its still a game that is being followed highly.

Lol, that's kinda the same thing isn't it? All you did was switch Multiplayer and Online around. How many people buy a game doesn't matter, and I think that's where people get hung up on this. Just because a massive amount of people will buy and play D3 does not make it an MMO. That is not what massive means in the MMO sense. In an MMO massive means a massive (subjective term, I like to think at least 500) amount of people playing in one world together. Not in a lobby, but in an actual virtual environment.

That would depends on where you put the bullets,  I merely saying they should come up with a better way of trying to label Diablo 3 in a category of its own rather then trying to grandfather into a category that it really doesn't belong in.  I do agree that when you say massive, it doesnt mean 1000 Single Player gamers where perhaps 16 of them actually are actively campaigning together from save point to save point.

There used to be no question about that, but with the extreme use of instancing in todays MMOs, and with content being designed for smaller and smaller groups of people (most of the time solo anymore), it's become hard to define what massive really means. That's why I think it's time we come up with a new term for the MMOs that do encourage a massive amount of people to actually play together. The Super Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (SMMORPG).

Really there still is no question about it, is it a Persistant World?, Is it as one person stated, Simultaneous play in that same said Persistant World?  We shouldn't have to change the name of the Genre or break it down into sub-categories.   All other aspects are now these days subject to semantics and opinionizations.

Either that, or many of the games that currently label themselves as MMOs need to drop an 'M' and just call themselves OMGs (Online Multiplayer Games). Which is what D3 actually is.

Well, actually, its an RPG thats an OMG.  So wouldn't that be an OMRPG?  Which was basically what I said, except I added an M for Massive in front of it just to make it feel special. ;P   Which brings us full circle to what I just said, it depends on where you put the bullets.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

While i can appriciate the point of why diablo 3 was added to this list, its not a mmorpg.. There have been arguements of weather on not guild wars is a mmorpg alone and this game takes a step even farther back from the title of the genre.. Atleast in guild wars the glorified chat hubs were in game and not in some text lobby.

that being said i am somewhat happy about it being here, makes it easier to keep track of and will bring more traffic to this site.

OH BTW, Diablo, and Diablo 2 were classfied as Action-Adventure RPG's, Diablo 3 is the same..its not massive by the fact you cant have more that 8 people per game, it is multiplayer and it is online so for the sace of arguement...

Diablo 3 = AAMORPG

Action-Adventure multiplayer online role playing game.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hey guys, to be clear we're not actually calling this an MMORPG either.  As you'll see under the Game Listing, it's categorized as an Action RPG. We're covering it enough to review it, preview it, and post MAJOR news items on it, but that's pretty much it.

As time goes on, if we open more sister sites, the bulk of the coverage on games like this will move away from MMORPG.com.  But for now, we cover this (Torchlight II is listed actually, just changed it from TL1 myself as it's at least online playable) as just another game we've decided our readers have interest enough in.  We'd cover Skyrim if it had similar online capabilities, and may open a forum for it at the very least in the near future.

It's not about changing the definitions of MMORPG, it's about giving our readers what they want.  After the poll, D3 made the cut.

As for Grim Dawn and Path of Exile? I'd say yes to the latter sooner or later, because it's online.  The former is up in the air until we hear more from Crate.  The online part is key, as it at least gives us some tie to the "O" in our namesake. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• nathanebhtnathanebht Member Posts: 34

Its not clear in the MMORPG Game List that its a Action RPG. Even clicking into the entry the fact its labeled "Action RPG" doesn't stand out. This makes it seem you consider Diablo 3 as just another MMORPG.

I would say the rule is if everything instanced, that isn't a MMO. So GW isn't a MMO too. To not have a montlhly subscription they only simulated being a MMO.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by nathanebht

Its not clear in the MMORPG Game List that its a Action RPG. Even clicking into the entry the fact its labeled "Action RPG" doesn't stand out. This makes it seem you consider Diablo 3 as just another MMORPG.

This is changing too, eventually.  You'll be able to sort the list by Genre, thereby making sure you don't see Action-RPG, or MOBA, or even MMORTS and MMOFPS if you don't want to.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Problem with this is that people today believe that they can change the definition of a word or meaning of a phrase just because they feel they should be able to.  Diablo 3 is not a MMORPG.  It's not a MMO or a RPG.  A MMO is where you can play with thousands of players at once in a persistent world.  Diablo is neither persistent, nor can you play with thousands of players at once.  A RPG at it's core allows you to interact and change situations on choices that you make in the game world.  Diablo is a linear hack & slash game with little variation.  What you are doing is taking the fringe similarities with MMO and RPG, and you are blurring the lines in a way that shouldn't be.  Grass doesn't mean flower because it grows in the ground.  Car doesn't mean truck because they are both automobiles.  My face and my ass aren't the same because they are both on my body.  The point here is, just because Diablo 3 contains some MMO elements and some RPG elements doesn't mean it's a MMORPG.

If that were the case, then Call of Duty is also a MMORPG. 

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Its NO mmorpg, rediculous it gets a forum on mmorpg.com i think its money that talks here.

Diablo 3 is Hack and Slash action game its not realy even a true RPG.