Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Risk of OS installing or not updating my windows?

NytrisNytris Member Posts: 42

Hi,

I'm one of those people you probably hate because I use computers A LOT, but I really don't understand all that much about computers( don't be too mad because I will be taking some classes soon).

In this past August, my vista windows stop letting me update, and before I knew it I couldn't use restore point. I looked into the problem and noticed that the following file things in services were not working: Software licensing, volume shadow copy, and Remote Procedure call locator. I was told that re-installing my OS was the only solution. The thing is that I'm not sure if I have all the right cds to do this. The only cds I could find were sceptre (monitor drive), my vista Reinstallation dvd, and my graphic card cd. If I got this right, then I'm missing my sound card cd and a cd for my hardware on my motherboard? Heck, I might even need something else that I'm totally clueless about.

The short version is...... I think it's most likely that I will mess up and go from having a computer that is working fairly well to having a computer that won't even boot up.

What would you suggest I do? Should I just make sure I got norton working and play safe with websites and downloads, and ignore the fact I can't update my windows (I mainly will be just using calc programs, a mmo, and tvblinkxx.com).

Comments

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

You say you have a Vista reinstallation disk. I would pop it in and see if there is a repair option.

• NytrisNytris Member Posts: 42

No, sadly there was no repair option when I put it in. I think it's go all the way or don't go at all. =(

You definitly want your windows to update so that if there is security fixes, that they get fixed. You dont want some malicious person getting into your computer through a hole in the OS.

This Vista disk is a retail disk? Or if it isnt does it have the Vista license key? If it does have a key, I would reinstall Vista after you back up anything you dont want to lose.

As far as motheroard drivers, sound driver, and etc,  the windows update after you reinstall will find most. And if not, you can go to the manufactures website for the sound, video, motherboard, or whateverelse and grab the drivers and software. Also, dont forget to put an antivirus software back on it.

Originally posted by Falcomith

You definitly want your windows to update so that if there is security fixes, that they get fixed. You dont want some malicious person getting into your computer through a hole in the OS.

This Vista disk is a retail disk? Or if it isnt does it have the Vista license key? If it does have a key, I would reinstall Vista after you back up anything you dont want to lose.

As far as motheroard drivers, sound driver, and etc,  the windows update after you reinstall will find most. And if not, you can go to the manufactures website for the sound, video, motherboard, or whateverelse and grab the drivers and software. Also, dont forget to put an antivirus software back on it.

The vista disk came with the computer box. It doesn't have any key on the disk, but I do have the window product key on the side of my computer.

Btw, do you know if Norton is a ok way to backup my files? I just got a new job, and I can't spare the cash at the moment for anything expensive to save these files. My biggest worry are my music files.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

The idea of backing up files is so that you don't lose your data if your hard drive dies entirely.  You'd need some separate hardware to back up the files to, and not just software.

Originally posted by Quizzical

The idea of backing up files is so that you don't lose your data if your hard drive dies entirely.  You'd need some separate hardware to back up the files to, and not just software.

I think Norton saves them on my online account. Would that be ok?

When you  guys refer to these back up files and software do you mean that they are needed? Or are you guys refering to files that would be considered important to only the user(like photos and music)?

Sorry, I'm just really clueless.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Quizzical

Agreed. Never try any form of reinstallation without backuping things you need.

Either use a USB flashdrive or burn down the stuff you need. Like personal files. And export the bookmarks from your browser as well.

Then you have 2 options, upgrade to W7 or reinstall.

You will lose all installed programs as best case scenario, all on your drives as worst. As long as you have CD as 1st boot devise in the bios and your harddrive ass second it shoulnt really be a problem.

And if you don't plan to format the main drive (which is reccomended) have a few gigs free on it at least before you start.

Then you will have to install all your drivers anew, a smart guy downloads the latest GFX drivers from the webb and check that he has drivers for everything else before starting. I once couldn't find the driver to met network card and couldn't download them since the net didn't work without it...

And then install your programs and games again. It takes a few hours to get it back to the way it should be but it is smart to do it once in a while, Windows tend to get full of crap.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Nytris

I think Norton saves them on my online account. Would that be ok?

When you  guys refer to these back up files and software do you mean that they are needed? Or are you guys refering to files that would be considered important to only the user(like photos and music)?

Sorry, I'm just really clueless.

We mean stuff that are important for you, like a picture of your girlfriend and stuff like that but also your browser bookmarks.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

If you have a large external hard drive, you might be able to do use this to backup:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

There should be a sticker on your Laptop (probably on the bottom) where Vista came pre-installed. It has the CD key you need to re-install the software.

You don't need the original CD, you just need to have the same type (32 or 64-bit), and then use that CD key from the sticker. As far as drivers go, you should be able to find every driver on your Laptop manufacturer's web site - download them all and just stick them on a single thumb drive or CD - the ones from the web are more than likely updated from the ones you have on CD anyway. As long as you can get a network driver, odds are Windows can find the rest of them for you anyway over the Internet during installation.

If you starched the sticker off, the sticker is gone, or you never had a sticker, your up the creek...

As far as not being able to update: You could run like that forever in theory. It would be somewhat of a pain sooner or later,

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Originally posted by Ridelynn

As far as not being able to update: You could run like that forever in theory. It would be somewhat of a pain sooner or later,

Bad bad bad.

Even though it will run without updates, it still doesnt stop from someone hacking into the computer through some hole left in the OS. This is what the updates fix.

It doesnt matter what type of security you have on the PC, because some holes in the OS, if not fixed, allows a hacker to have a greater chance to get passed the security measures. This is why its very important to keep windows updated.

Yes OP, the sticker you mentioned earlier is the license key you will use.

Thanks guys, I think I'm ready to give this a go once I burned everything I want to save on to cds.

Originally posted by Nytris

Thanks guys, I think I'm ready to give this a go once I burned everything I want to save on to cds.

Good luck. If this is the first time you re-installed an OS, dont worry. Its pretty simple.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If the install seems to hang up and isn't doing anything then walk away, go eat lunch, read the newspaper, AND do a load of laundry. Then come back and see if it's still not doing anything. No alcohol of other substances.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Just want to say, to further allieve your fears.

99% of the drivers needed to get your computer up and runnign will be included with the Windows install.  Granted these are often basic drivers, but it will get you to a point where you can go online and download the most up to date drivers that unlocks all the extra features of your specific hardware.  For example, I have a G15 gaming keyboard that needs special drivers to unlock all its features, BUT windows will install the basic driver that lets me use the keyboard as if it was any typical keyboard.

As for backup, you can get some prety large external USB drives for under 50 bucks, which depending on how many dvd's you are going to be using to backup, could be worth the time (and its a future investment as well)