Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowbane is a great game

SetekhSetekh Member Posts: 67

Ok guys, look. There is one single problem with this game, and everyone knows it. Thats population. Even the people who dislike this game now don't have any -real- complaints except population and still admit to all Shadowbanes great features.

So how do we solve this problem? Its pretty simple, stop bitching about population and dead games and dead servers and crap. There are enough people to make this game enjoyable, and I still alot filtering in because of summer.

Now is a good time to give this game another shot or a first chance.

I know I can't stop people from trying to flame the voting, but I want to give a fair view of the state of the game (so if you arn't playing, you probably shouldn't vote).

If your a decent player, give this game a shot. Its worth a try, and I garentee most of you will enjoy it enough to give up your mainstream whatever your doing right nowimage. Check out what real PvP, guild warring, and city building is like.

SB people, lets try and keep this forum on top for awile... lets give some people a chance to check this game out and see how the votes going.

Comments

• HydroPwnicsHydroPwnics Member Posts: 7

I've been playing Shadowbane since release, which was 26 months ago... Shadowbane is the best mmorpg ever mad and the absolute worst one ever made in the same instance. The gameplay is awesome, the idea behind the game is awesome, the community is awesome, the dev support has become much better in the past year (Since the population decline [eye for an eye]) but, the graphics are sub-par to most peer mmorpgs the game is still fairly buggy, not many major things but quite a few little things. I love shadowbane and I'll never fully stop playing it but, I'll admit it still needs work, even after being out as long as it has. I hope and pray the revamp the graphics and most of the technical aspect of the game. That'd make it by far the best game around.

In what other game can you the player actually build your own empire? In what other game can you go on a ruthless killing spree to fuel your need to rape and plunder? In what other game do you have the ability to track down and slay the little son of a grobold who insulted you your mother or your dog the day before? In what other game can you tear down an enemies entire nation, not just make them feel bad for loosing a fight in an arena? Shadowbane really gives you the player a chance to truly change the world.

Again, to recap, Shadowbane is the best game ever made and one of the worst in the same instance. Best because the idea and the flow of the game is unlike anyother. Worse because UBI just "ghettoed" the game's technical aspect of the game to get it on the market. Maybe Shadowbane won't be fo you but, mark my words. Shadowbane 2, if it ever comes to be will be the benchmark mmorpg of all time.

~Thanks for your time~

Hydro

Anyone who is looking for this game: the website is www.chronicle.ubi.com. thanks again. 

• SetekhSetekh Member Posts: 67

Thanks everyone for the votes and comments so far.

Here is what I wanted to say though. Shadowbane 2 can only come into existance if we get the server populations up again (and get some fiance to the group). Sure, the graphics arn't the best, but those too can get updated if the server pop goes up some (and less-than-godly graphics mean that more people will be able to handle the game better with less lag).

Do you want to help shadowbane's population go up? Here's what you can do...

1. Encourage the players you know IG to come and vote for Shadowbane's hype rating.

2. Encourage friends or anyone you know to give it a try, and forget about the 1337 graphics for once.

3. Encourage other players you know IG to come here, to this post, and say more about Shadowbane and why this HUGE mmo community should consider it.

If you care about this game, or Shadowbane 2, please take the time to help out. As a community we can make a difference.

Also, please continue voting and responding... remember if you reply it helps keep the thread afloat for others to see.

Thanks

• sicsycosicsyco Member Posts: 18

some may think im crazy but Sb was and is the best game ive played since, i quit playing in Jan or feb this year to take a break, i played a little on my friends closed beta account :) and was hooked, i only remembered the game last may and decided i should subsribe. since i cancelled my account ive been searching for a game that holds my attention for any longer than an after noon to no sucess.
    nothing cobines all the generas like Sb its an RPG, an FPS, a RTS and a chat forum EQ has the RPG down but you cant fight each other and theres no reason to talk to people until you finish noob island ( i think SBs lack of noob information was done with this intent it makes you ask for directions and work with others from the start) now i only played the EQ trial but damn i was bored of the game then it was pretty but pretty boring at the same time
    i bought guild wars and was disappointed its a single player game with smart bots thats it its like UT2004 with magic theres no real community that ive seen and the INSTANT lvl 20 chars are a joke you have to unlock a power in single player to use it which means grinding on 5-6 diferent characters before you can use all the classes in pvp arenas ::::11::
    while i was a noob my city got baned by a big guild wanting to prep for TOO, (not understanding the system obviously) our city was crushed by overwhelming ods, but wait, we rebuilt and moved and managed to merge three other guilds who had been fighting the same people and then began taking their mines from them and attacked a few of their cities (sweet retribution)

this game is amazing and most of the players who left im betting are in the same place as me still looking for somthing worth playing and i think im going to reactivate my account as soon as the lore server comes up (if it does) and most of the changes are added... just wish i knew whwen that would be

a suggestion to the devs would be to give another month or 15 days to any players with an old account when the lore server comes up ( and no migration damnit)

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548
    Even if they made a lore server Ubi can kiss my arse.  They have promising a lot of the stuff they are promoting now since the game went friggin live and have MISERABLY FAILED to do anything.  I will never support that game again.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• darktravestydarktravesty Member Posts: 199

Shadowbane is actually doing better lately, with a considerable influx of players and the announcement of new content. Also, there is still somethine under wraps apparantly, Ashen Temper hinted at this on his site, www.ashentemper.com

Shadowbane is truely a great game, I have player numerous other games, many for 2-3 months, and found them to be much less entertaining and satisfying, compared to Shadowbane. The main problem I find on most mainstream games today is that they have a poor endgame; in Shadowbane, the endgame is constantly on the move, there really is none. Unlike other games where you level and such constantly, only for the purpose of being high level and getting good gear, and maybe smite some different monsters. In Shadowbane, after you get the leveling done, the game has only just started. From tehre you can join a guild, make a guild, lead a nation, build a city, fight wars, be active in politics, rah rah rah, it goes on and on and on.

Really, if you have not tried this game yet, give it a shot. It takes awhile to get in to, at first it's discouraging because you have no idea what you're doing. But after awhile you'll catch on, and once you attend your first bane you will most likely be hooked =) SB is not a newbie friendly game, you just have to get past that to hit what makes the game as great as it is. Also, it is not the same game that it launched as, at all, period, end of sentence.

Originally posted by arvainis
    Even if they made a lore server Ubi can kiss my arse.  They have promising a lot of the stuff they are promoting now since the game went friggin live and have MISERABLY FAILED to do anything.  I will never support that game again.

Grief?

Anyways, all the game devs promise alot of shiot they don't do... have yah noticed that yet? Shadowbane just doesn't need as much done, because if your not a gimp crappy lil' WoW player its great:).

• arvainisarvainis Member Posts: 548
    LOL you say grief to me then I must say Grief back to you.  GImp Crappy WoW player?  Yup that's me.  I prefer a game that works as opposed to one that's broken.  I actually like to play on a server that has some people on it.  I like to play a game where the Lead Developer doesn't come out on his home page and say that Shadowbane is a broke piece of crap.  LOL

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

• krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139

Originally posted by Setekh

Ok guys, look. There is one single problem with this game, and everyone knows it. Thats population. Even the people who dislike this game now don't have any -real- complaints except population and still admit to all Shadowbanes great features.

I don't agree with you that the only problem with the game is the population. When I played, in peak time there was about 1k people on my server, the server name escapes me right now. That's more then enough people to group with and go kill. The only problem I had was lag. I played a thief and scout, both stealth based classes. A lot of the times, when I went solo pk, I would see people on my track but not on my screen even though I was standing on top of them. It caused me so many deaths, it's not even funny. Then the lag during the bane... If they would fix the lag and rubber banding, this game would be so much better. Also, my computer is way above recommended requirement and I have a cable modem.
  • EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Shadowbane is not a great game.. far from it. The number of bugs and exploits it had and still has auto remove it from the great games list wich isnt very long either.

Plus shadowbane get really laggy, and has outdated graphics.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • HydroPwnicsHydroPwnics Member Posts: 7

I don't think a few of the last posters have played in a long while. Rubberbanding rarely ever happens lag has been toned down considerably. There was also a new feature implemented last week that randomly picks one of the in-game open PvP macro zones to be the "hotzone" for the next 4 hours. Meaning that all Gold/Xp are doubled when killing in that zone while it's the hotzone. Also, the really great thing is that Hireling Contract drop rates are also increased meaning that there will be alot of people farming these zones which in turn means there will be plenty of people running around to kill which in turn = WOOT!

Anyhow this is just one thing they've done lately to improve SB but, to be honest it might be to late.

On a lighter note a New community manager, Sachant, has just been hired and it seems like UBI/Wolfpack is gearing up for a new mmorpg (Please god be SB2) - Just something to think about.

Thanks again for your time

-Hydro-

• Maverick827Maverick827 Member Posts: 71

*Most* people who bash Shadowbane either:

-Played for the first few weeks, quit, and still to this day base their opinions of the game off of their experiences in that short time.

-Just were not up for the PvP aspect of the game and couldn't handel it, so instead of just saying "It was to intense for me" they decide to jump the bandwaggong and complain about the rubberbanding (gone), lag (gone), and exploits (every game has exploits, and always will.  For the most part, whenever one has come about, it has been fixed).

-Has never played it, but instead plays like, WoW *and only WoW* so of course their game is top dog.  What they hate is the undenyable fact that Shadowbane's PvP > WoW's PvP so they just decide to go off on a "graphics" rant.  Sorry guys, but I get my cartoon fill from Adult Swim, I don't need it in my video games.

"My game's graphics may not be as good as yours, but at least I can kill other people's graphics anytime I feel like it." - Standard ownage line.

Have fun.

• TooL-D-TooL-D- Member CommonPosts: 126

Originally posted by EduardoASG
    Shadowbane is not a great game.. far from it. The number of bugs and exploits it had and still has auto remove it from the great games list wich isnt very long either.Plus shadowbane get really laggy, and has outdated graphics.

The poll says otherwise. Its the best open combat game on the market, best pvp game on the market, and best seige game on the market.

I was at two banes over the past few days, and didnt notice any "game stopping" lag. I have worse lag in WoW and DAoC with 100 players in one area than Shadowbane.

• MorridinMorridin Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by arvainis
    LOL you say grief to me then I must say Grief back to you.  GImp Crappy WoW player?  Yup that's me.  I prefer a game that works as opposed to one that's broken.  I actually like to play on a server that has some people on it.  I like to play a game where the Lead Developer doesn't come out on his home page and say that Shadowbane is a broke piece of crap.  LOL

I played Wow.  Strangely, even with ten times the population per server, it felt more empty than shadowbane.   I think it was because you can't talk to the people you fight, and the people you can talk to, you can't fight (dueling is nothing like real pvp).
  • KlorinKlorin Member Posts: 37

There are a few key things people target when talking bad about shadowbane:
    Lag...gone
    rubberbanding....gone
    Customer support... alot better
    graphics... not really that bad. If your complaining about graphics in a game based off gameplay your just a fan of pretty colors and flashy pixels.(BTW i run full graphics on my pc and the only difference between sb and wow is trees and terrain. atleast sb doesn't need disney graphics to attract real players.)

And most people forget about the opening line when you log in "PLAY TO CRUSH"
    this game is based off PVP, Siegeing, Politics, and THE best Class/race choices out off any MMO out there todate.

The main people who are complaining about this game either got there asses handed to them, like to quest all day for no endgame purpose, or are afraid to pick it up because its graphics aren't the best out there.

To you WoW, EQ, and Guildwars fans out there all i can say is flame on::::27::

• MorridinMorridin Member Posts: 34

I wouldn't say the lag is gone, it's just different now.   For instance, if I stand in the same area for a while (like an hour) with a group,   my framerate goes way, way down, from 60+ to about 10.  But I can walk out of the area, or the group can move, and everything is fine again.  Then there's also sync issues where someone will look like they're standing somewhere but they're actually standing somewhere else, etc...

As far as low population being a problem, i would say it's not as big a problem as how hard it is for a new player to find an active guild.

• ::blank::::blank:: Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by Morridin

I wouldn't say the lag is gone, it's just different now.   For instance, if I stand in the same area for a while (like an hour) with a group,   my framerate goes way, way down, from 60+ to about 10.  But I can walk out of the area, or the group can move, and everything is fine again.  Then there's also sync issues where someone will look like they're standing somewhere but they're actually standing somewhere else, etc...
    As far as low population being a problem, i would say it's not as big a problem as how hard it is for a new player to find an active guild.

this is true.. i played for about 2 days but then realized noone would have anyhting to do with me haha..so i had to quit.. sucks.. it was fun.. i dont understand why they didnt just make one server at the merge...now this game is just dying slowly :(

I wouldn't say the lag is gone, it's just different now. For instance, if I stand in the same area for a while (like an hour) with a group, my framerate goes way, way down, from 60+ to about 10. But I can walk out of the area, or the group can move, and everything is fine again. Then there's also sync issues where someone will look like they're standing somewhere but they're actually standing somewhere else, etc...

well if you say lag isn't gone... your wrong i get none whatsoever try turning down your dynamic lighting.

Originally posted by ::blank::

this is true.. i played for about 2 days but then realized noone would have anyhting to do with me haha..so i had to quit.. sucks.. it was fun.. i dont understand why they didnt just make one server at the merge...now this game is just dying slowly :(

Well, it’s actually increasing now... because of summer, expansions, and now MMORPG.com supports. To what was stated above: This is not a n00b friendly game. Why? Because high levels have things to do, its not just about questing endlessly, looking at pretty graphics, and otherwise having nothing to do at level 60 (WoW). You have an almost infinite endgame, so even the high levels don't have time to sit around or baby-sit the low levels. If you can handle learning things on your own, you deserve to play Shadowbane and enjoy the politics, strategy, and endgame. If you can't find a guild, it’s probably because you’re making yourself look very bad in game. I found a guild just fine, a couple actually... because I just talked like a normal intelligent person, and acted like a non-WoW player (i.e. not dumb).

If you can handle the start, you will thank yourself for trying. See you in SB, join Wrath server:).

I just wanted to update people on the poll...

Basically we got...

53.6% Positive Votes For Shadowbane

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

12.2% Inbetween Votes (Some of this group are still playing, some have given up on the game future)

17.1% Negative (ONLY 17.1% have actually played SB (or atleast they say they have) and say they don't like it or that its future is bleak which is LESS than 1 person in 5)

17.1% WoW players who’ve never played shadowbane. These people shouldn't actually vote... but of course they do anyways. Atleast theyre honest on the poll and don't pretend theyre part of the actual playing group.

So in otherwords, we have 53.6% positive vs 17.1% Negative.

If you've played alot of similar games, give this one a shot. If nothing else it's worth a try, because its different. For starters the more-challenging PvP focus... but also the guildcentricness and the effect the players have the map, politics, and government.

• ealdiwenealdiwen Member Posts: 22
    I'm curious how many players people see during a typical night of playing?  I found almost noone online when I played the game.  I ended up cancelling my subscription and have been playing WOW which has a much larger population and more interesting graphics.

ooooh...ahhhh.... more interesting graphics.... lets all just go join WoW right nowimage

There are plenty of people online. A couple hundred (depending on server), but you can always find a n00b group going off main (Hothor's Doom on my server [Wrath] is the place to start). Then you join a guild and you pretty much never have to play alone.

All the people who say theyre playing alone are refering to their first 3 days, where they have wandered around aimlessly on some unused n00b town. Theyre is always one primary n00b town where everyone is leveling up, just have to go there.

• darktravestydarktravesty Member Posts: 199

Lately the average seems to be 350 on Mourning.

• ealdiwenealdiwen Member Posts: 22

setekh, have you tried playing WOW?  I think you might like it actually.  don't you think graphics have some importance in the game? 

I didn't find shadowbane all that fun to play but I may not have given it enough of a chance.

Shadowbane is a end game type of game. Its great at the end of lvling up which for the first time in a MMO takes a non grinder 3 days to get PvP lvl.

• CohortCohort Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Klorin

Shadowbane is a end game type of game. Its great at the end of lvling up which for the first time in a MMO takes a non grinder 3 days to get PvP lvl.

I disagree with the 3 day leveling. A new person cannot get that high of level that quickly. You can if you are in a good guild that has a macro group set up. The game still has some small fps problems, and I just reactivated played from release to jan this year. THe game now needs more people, alot of the problesm that were there are not anymore. It really is a game where its who you know though as far as getting leveled quickly and for geting gear which plays way to much of a factor in how good you are.