Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P games with a fair cash shop, in your opinion?

LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Only one I know of is LoTRO. You aren't forced to use the cash shop and can easily reach cap without spending a dime on the game and if you choose too the prices are fair.

What other F2P MMO's are like this, IYO?

Comments

• darkgamerxdarkgamerx Member Posts: 311

Originally posted by Lashley

Only one I know of is LoTRO. You aren't forced to use the cash shop and can easily reach cap without spending a dime on the game and if you choose too the prices are fair.

Well I don't know about "Easy". After level 30 it gets quite difficult if you dont purchase the quest pack in store. Pre lvl 30 it's okay, not too bad. You got the odd little features where you have to buy the mount riding skill for 75 Turbine points etc. Technically, sure you dont need to spend a dime, however the experience will be made dull and repeatative. Compared to other MMO Cash shops, I suppose it would be rated the best.

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

I spent a few minutes thinking, and unfortunately couldn't come up with anything still around.

Ghost had purely cosmetic items, but it shut down.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Vindictus and probably Dragon Nest when the level cap is raised to max.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Closest I've seen to fair pricing is ROM as long as PVP isn't a concern.  Catch it on a double-diamonds sale, which run fairly frequently and then watch for items that go half price.  That's 75% off combined which is hard to beat.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by Otakun

+Exp, +Drop rate, enhancement safety, items with stats aren't fair.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by Korby

+Exp, +Drop rate, enhancement safety, items with stats aren't fair.

It was asked if you could get to max level with no  cash shop and you can.

Also the +exp and drop rate benefit everyone in the group, so its fair.

Items with stats are rare gets from random boxes that can get you crap and you're better off buying it from the AH.

Also Enhancement safety is pointless in a PVE only game. Go QQ elsewhere.

Go be a cunt elsewhere?

OP asked for games with fair cash shops. Vindictus and Dragon Nest do not satisfy this requirement.

You sound like you work for Nexon.

Was also asked if you could get to max without cash which you can. Learn to read.

OP said you can reach the max level in LOTRO without cash shop. Pretty sure that wasn't a question. It was an example.

"Only one I know of is LoTRO. You aren't forced to use the cash shop and can easily reach cap without spending a dime on the game and if you choose too the prices are fair.

What other F2P MMO's are like this, IYO?"

In Vindictus you arn't forced to use the cash shop and can easily reach cap without spending a dime.

and if you choose then prices are fair, which they are IMO cause they are not needed.

So yeah, learn to read.

You can reach the max level in every single game without using the cash shop. That doesn't mean it's fair.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

you spend time or you spend money. stop whining about. jesus christ...

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Please provide an example where the game was not initially F2P , LoTRO or DDO are not good example.

Pay to win (or what you call Free to Play) never work as the cash shops are not fair if the items impact on gameplay in a multi player environment.

If the F2P element of the game is restricted to specific servers so that anyone who buys from a shop can never again play with people who are truly F2P then i have no issue. But sadly none of these games are F2P , I wish someone would get trading standards onto this term as I would prefer the game providers to be honest.

It should be something like , Its not subscription based but if you wish to avoid painful gameplay it's subs +100%

Examples don't exist unless you enjoy partial and slow /gameplay progression.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Vindictus used to be pretty fair with the cash shop items.   However every update just makes it more pay2win.    Of course, you can actually play through all the content without paying a single cent still, but people are making gear check boats for the latest bosses now, and unless you were playing for a long time, it's very hard to get the gear you need depending on your class.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Hellgate Global. You only need to spend $4 on an Act 3 Ticket to access the rest of the game, and even that can be bought by other players in the auction house for about 500k palladium.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Global Agenda's is pretty decent, though it doesn't quite qualify as an MMO.  The formerly B2P account upgrade fee covers most of what you'd ever need, and the actual cash shop is really only a buying a currency that is worth roughly twice the in-game currency.

None of the stuff you can buy in-game really make a difference in the actual gameplay, you can easily max out characters without ever spending money on either the B2P fee or the cash shop.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Uncharted Waters Online is the only one that comes to mind.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Guild Wars, although B2P, has an excellent cash shop.  Nothing in there is necessary, but it's all nice to have.  I've never played LotRO, but if it's anything like DDO, I'd give it a Fair rating.  Mostly it's because I found some of the stuff in DDO's shop on the verge of gouging.  Namely, the costume overlays that you can get were pricey, but could only be applied to one piece of armor on one toon.  Once you upgraded your armor, it was gone for good.  Compared to GW where something like that is available to you forever, for every toon on your account, I found DDO to be pretty nickel-and-dimey.

Cash shops are nice, but they are too prone to be abused.

One you might want to look into is FFIV.  I don't know if this has changed, or will be changing... but it used to be that even though it was intended as a subscription game, they aren't charging subscription if you buy the box.  I don't think there's a cash shop at all.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by Unlight

Guild Wars, although B2P, has an excellent cash shop.

Ditto.  Nothing insanely priced, no gear at all.  Just costumes, services, bank space, and campaigns.

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

Pirates of the Burning Sea has the most generous f2p model I've seen. You can easily play the game without spending a dime of RL money and if you want to upgrade aspects of your account they sell cash shop money in game for reasonable prices.

edit: I should also mention that this game is also B2P if you want to spend $15 once to unlock the account upgrades. well worth it in my opinion if you enjoy the game.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by jinxxed0

you spend time or you spend money. stop whining about.

That's about how I feel too. If it's "not fair" that someone can outlevel you by spending more money, then it's also not fair that someone can outlevel you by spending more time. If you care that much about how other players are playing the game, why not flip out and demand that unemployed shut-ins be banned from the game for having more free time than you?

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

As is my usual statement: F2P without Pay 2 Win is win-win for consumers and developers alike.

Make a MMORPG with lateral purchases (playstyle options) like LoL and I'll dump a lot of money into it.

Make a MMORPG with vertical purchases (sword of doom) like World of Tanks, and I won't spend a dime. (Which is tragic, because WoT is actually fun, and something I'd give plenty of money to if it didn't have pay2win elements.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I wouldn't know the first thing about developing a F2P game with a cash shop.  How do you make money and sell items that actually don't help you much in the game?  It's beyond me, to be honest.  Kudo's to games that an pull it off.  

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

The only one I can think of is Lotro..atleast back when I was playing.

it was actually possible to play the full game without paying,just had to grind out deeds and accumulate store points that way.When you obtained enough you could buy any xpacs or DLC that was initially restricted to you.

Dunno what they got in the store these days though.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Well shop in Lotro is changing step by step and imho is not that "fair" , with soon-to-be-released Isengard changes to shop will continue and it will offer more advantage.