Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carebear game

Comments

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657
    For some to have fun they need to have PVP, but that don't meen it is a requirement for all games to have pvp. There are alot of people out there that like to play a game and not pvp, just not alot of games out there were you are givent the choose to pvp or not. But i don't see it as a requirement that every game must have pvp to be a success.

imageimage

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

I love PvP too: it's a thrill and it can be frustrating and gloriously satisfying as I'm sure you all know.

That having been said though, PvP does not a good game make. Perfectly balanced PvP is en elusive dragon the gaming community has been chasing since its birth. How many times have your characters been nerfed? If you say never then you probably joined the game after your class was nerfed.

PvE games can be equally challenging and rewarding and thrilling, just in a different way. Camaraderie and cooperation and doing the impossible and all that. If you refuse to play a game that does not have PvP ask your self this: why?

Do you feel the need to compete with real people and win? What void in your life is this filling? If you can't have fun without PvP, perhaps a look inside your heart will reveal why. I can have tons of fun in either PvE or PvP games and have no need to feel superior to those I play with, not that I'm saying you do but, there is a chance that is the case.

Lord of the Rings online will not fail or succeed because of a lack of PvP, but on the merits of the game therein.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Lord-Artec

Games need pvp now adays.. Look at what how bad the messed up UO? imageimageimage Stupid Trammel!

Dear sweet jeebus christos its 8 years later and someone is STILL bitching about TRAMMEL??!?!?!

• mcfly414mcfly414 Member Posts: 2

Ok...what is the point in even having this game if there is no pvp??? I seriously can't see this game getting very far. I'm a bit lotr fan. I love the movies, but I honestly don't think a game is necessary. There's been so many already for PS2 and such. They are beating a dead horse.

Originally posted by mcfly414

Ok...what is the point in even having this game if there is no pvp??? I seriously can't see this game getting very far. I'm a bit lotr fan. I love the movies, but I honestly don't think a game is necessary. There's been so many already for PS2 and such. They are beating a dead horse.

For starters the PS2 games you speak of were based of the movies and about the movies, this game is based of the books, It is also not a single player game gives us a chance to play and expierence middle earth.

Second PVP is not the be all of gaming. Thie game dinamics doesn't support pvp, This is a pvm game were you will have access to 3 differant types of quest arcs to explore and adventure in the game. They decided the direction they want to take this game and have stuck to it.

As for making it very far, you have any idea how many people have been following this game since it was first announced 3 years ago??? Alot of them have since given up, but just as many if not more have stuck with it. Not every game is for everyone, Being said there are those who enjoy just playing the game and not pvping, This game isn't for you that is great it not your kind of game, I am sure ryl would suite you better cause it is based on pvp and has some intense pvp in it. But Please don't run a game down that you don't intend to play and hasn't even released yet because it doesn't have what you want in it. I don't run down pvp games. why should you run down non pvp games??

imageimage

• HeartBrokenHeartBroken Member Posts: 128

NON-PVP!?! They're not going to survive in the buisness without that dude. If they were non-pvp this is going to be the worst mmorpg in history. I mean ever made. I mean no toher mmo-rpg worse than this one!

I respect your opinion, but could you possibly elaborate on why you think this is so??? How do you know that it will be the worst game ever made???

imageimage

• Not having PvP option these days on a MMORPG is a flaw, all those who defend not having pvp option must see that this will cut player base harshly, and if you sort the kiddies out, you'll realise a large number of people like to play pvp sometimes to break pve boredom and they won't be able to in this game.

I mean you can *try* to defend the roleplay issue about "pvp is not in the books" but hey, that's a lie, AT LEAST you see some form of dueling between characters, and if the orcs on the other side are players, well that's pvp (hey saruman was just another mage who opted for another path, why can't others? ).

Last pointer on Turbine games, Ac2 PvP system didn't work out well, they had to work alot on it, and still it didn't come out good so I guess they will drop pvp till they know how to make it, DDO won't have pvp and LOTRO won't have it also.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by Kyoso

Not having PvP option these days on a MMORPG is a flaw, all those who defend not having pvp option must see that this will cut player base harshly, and if you sort the kiddies out, you'll realise a large number of people like to play pvp sometimes to break pve boredom and they won't be able to in this game.
    I mean you can *try* to defend the roleplay issue about "pvp is not in the books" but hey, that's a lie, AT LEAST you see some form of dueling between characters, and if the orcs on the other side are players, well that's pvp (hey saruman was just another mage who opted for another path, why can't others? ).
    Last pointer on Turbine games, Ac2 PvP system didn't work out well, they had to work alot on it, and still it didn't come out good so I guess they will drop pvp till they know how to make it, DDO won't have pvp and LOTRO won't have it also.

For me, it's not the concept of PvP that I find undesirable, but the type of player that PvP attracts. Kyoso, you might be one of those who looks at PvP and participates in it in a mature fashion, but you are the definite minority in that regard.

Also, to those who always claim that no PvP in a game is a sure-fire death sentence--well, you're simply overreacting. EQ2 is doing just fine with around 280-300,000 subs, and has no PvP..it's certainly not failing.

In all honesty, LOTRO and DDO are the only two games coming out in the future that will have no PvP whatsoever. With that being said, why do all the PvPer's seem to whine about the lack of PvP in these games, when EVERY OTHER GAME on the market has some form of PvP? So there are two games that don't have it--what's the big deal?

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by darquenblade
    Originally posted by Kyoso
    Not having PvP option these days on a MMORPG is a flaw, all those who defend not having pvp option must see that this will cut player base harshly, and if you sort the kiddies out, you'll realise a large number of people like to play pvp sometimes to break pve boredom and they won't be able to in this game.
    For me, it's not the concept of PvP that I find undesirable, but the type of player that PvP attracts. Kyoso, you might be one of those who looks at PvP and participates in it in a mature fashion, but you are the definite minority in that regard.
    Also, to those who always claim that no PvP in a game is a sure-fire death sentence--well, you're simply overreacting. EQ2 is doing just fine with around 280-300,000 subs, and has no PvP..it's certainly not failing.
    In all honesty, LOTRO and DDO are the only two games coming out in the future that will have no PvP whatsoever. With that being said, why do all the PvPer's seem to whine about the lack of PvP in these games, when EVERY OTHER GAME on the market has some form of PvP? So there are two games that don't have it--what's the big deal?

Very nicely said Darque. Apparently EVERY game has to have PvP in it now and the market can't be diversified.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• HawkinsHawkins Member UncommonPosts: 121

It's a flaw in the sense that no PvP simultaneously means no large scale clan wars, siege and inter-race wars in the Middle Earth where such conflicts are supposed to exist. Other than that, pvp has not much meaning in a RPG game(mmo or not). We dont kill each other without a solid reason and consequences may thus arised in the miedival time. In the case of unresolvable conflict between individuals, consentual dueling may be the way out but again are you roleplaying this or is it your way of resolving player conflicts? If it's the latter, you are not role-playing anyway.

"I am good at PvP in a mmoRPG game", hmm....how fast is your internet link? that will be my first question. You are really something when (like 10 years later) the Internet technology is good enough to accomodate a true mmoFPS or mmoPVP, only then tell me how good you are.

"I am an awesome basketball player but in a kindergarten".

"Join NBA first and only then come back to tell me how good you are".

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

If I'm not mistaken SOE has plans to implement PvP in EQ2.

I haven't found a PvE AI that I couldn't figure out in a brief amount of time. It doesn't take a lot of effort to figure out aggro ranges, spawn rates, pathing, etc. IMO, PvP offers a nice alternative to that environment.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

Originally posted by IcoGames

If I'm not mistaken SOE has plans to implement PvP in EQ2.

You're right Ico--Pvp is coming to EQ2 with the new expansion (I think they'll have dueling before that though--I might be wrong).

I was simply pointing out that so far, EQ2 hasn't suffered or languished without PvP, as some would suggest.

Thank you finally someone who was willing to stand up and give his point of view on why pvp is needed in a game. I respect your reasons for why you think it is a needed part of a game. I have done some pvp and i have found like so many that it is mainly just a bunch of young kiddies who get there thrills off of killing other players. I am not saying that all pvper's are this way just a vast majority of them are.

I understand the point of being so bored of the daily grind that you want something differant to do. My understanding is that turbine is working on this, since pvp wont be the center vocus of the game they will be able to vocus on and apply the resources that pvp doesn't use up to make the game more interesting to play.

This is my view on this game.

imageimage

• Jazz89Jazz89 Member Posts: 34

Pvp in most cases is a MUST, but I think this will be an exception to the rule. As has been stated, it does not fit the lore, and unless u want to allow chars to be orcs ther is no sensible way of doing so. I don't like the idea of having orcs ingame either as it would seem odd, if an orc had a human friend and grouped with him. Don't get me wrong, I am not some carebear newb who doesn't know what makes a good mmo. I think I will still try this game, if I get bored of the whole "no killing players" thing Ill go back to some of my other games..

-----------------------
    Head Admin: RomaVictor.org - Official Fan Site

• CearaCeara Member Posts: 75

all the companies are catering to  the fairies

the only true  palm sweaty  knee knocking game was the original UO untill the kiddies complained about being  ganked

well news flash boys ganked put the sweaty palms and knee knocking in the game

now we can only look forward to  mundane bullshit from everyone because for  some unknown reason there are more  fairies and kids playing these games then  people that want  to experience a true rpg that gives you sweaty palms and rattles your knees from time to time

I guess people dont want excitement  sweaty palms and  knee knocking excitment

they only want to be in a fairyland for fairies and do  boring skills all day where is  lord british when you need him most

with  full pvp meaning all zones unlimited there will never ever be sweaty palms and knee knocking excitment along with a  very healthy dose of surprise and  fun to play

all the reinventing of game systems and the best graphics in the world cant replace this kind of excitement in a game

having zones  set up for pvp and duels   no good it has to be everywhere to incorporate  this  kind of sweaty palm knee knocking fun

that is the only way to  inject the excitement  back into the game

i guess i will have to wait for generation 4 rpg games to come along mabe then they will offer what

i am  longing for

it has been done in the past UO the original UO that is was so fun to play  yet  so many people complained about being ganked  the very thing that made your palms sweat and your knees knock

very sad state of affairs today in  mmorpg it makes  very sad to see this crap they are working on

Originally posted by Ceara

all the companies are catering to  the fairies
    the only true  palm sweaty  knee knocking game was the original UO untill the kiddies complained about being  ganked
    now we can only look forward to  mundane bullshit from everyone because for  some unknown reason there are more  fairies and kids playing these games then  people that want  to experience a true rpg that gives you sweaty palms and rattles your knees from time to time
    I guess people dont want excitement  sweaty palms and  knee knocking excitment
    they only want to be in a fairyland for fairies and do  boring skills all day where is  lord british when you need him most
    with  full pvp meaning all zones unlimited there will never ever be sweaty palms and knee knocking excitment along with a  very healthy dose of surprise and  fun to play
    all the reinventing of game systems and the best graphics in the world cant replace this kind of excitement in a game
    having zones  set up for pvp and duels   no good it has to be everywhere to incorporate  this  kind of sweaty palm knee knocking fun
    that is the only way to  inject the excitement  back into the game
    i guess i will have to wait for generation 4 rpg games to come along mabe then they will offer what
    i am  longing for
    it has been done in the past UO the original UO that is was so fun to play  yet  so many people complained about being ganked  the very thing that made your palms sweat and your knees knock
    very sad state of affairs today in  mmorpg it makes  very sad to see this crap they are working on

You ever consider that the reason games are like they are now is because players like you are in the MINORITY?

You make PvP sound sooo intense. I've never understood the thrill of it to be honest. If I want true action against another player, I play an FPS, not an MMORPG. With an MMO, it's not like any real skill is involved in beating your opponent (HA! I can hit a few hotkeys faster than you can! I'm UBER!).

Come to think of it, why don't you play something like Lineage 2? That has full on PvP like you talk so vehemently about. As a matter of fact, why don't all of you PvP advocates play Lineage 2? For a full on PvP game, I don't see many people satisfied with it. Why not? It's got the type of PvP that you like, right?

Anyway, take your knocking knees and sweaty palms elsewhere.

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

I think mostly people just want the option.....

I dont see any reason to make it a huge part of the game like WOW or DNL do. I actually dont PVP a whole lot but it is nice to have the option to PVP if I want to. It would not take very much effort for them to allow a duel feature and to put in some arena areas like the original EQ and AO had. Also have a feature that allows guilds to declare mutual war on each other.

That would be enough to please the general PVP crowd and would not hae any effect on those who dont PVP.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Exactly.  Generally it's a bunch of l33t d00ds, I get enough of them in Counter-Strike.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by Ceara
    all the companies are catering to the fairies
    the only true palm sweaty knee knocking game was the original UO untill the kiddies complained about being ganked
    now we can only look forward to mundane bullshit from everyone because for some unknown reason there are more fairies and kids playing these games then people that want to experience a true rpg that gives you sweaty palms and rattles your knees from time to time
    I guess people dont want excitement sweaty palms and knee knocking excitment
    they only want to be in a fairyland for fairies and do boring skills all day where is lord british when you need him most
    with full pvp meaning all zones unlimited there will never ever be sweaty palms and knee knocking excitment along with a very healthy dose of surprise and fun to play
    having zones set up for pvp and duels no good it has to be everywhere to incorporate this kind of sweaty palm knee knocking fun
    that is the only way to inject the excitement back into the game
    i am longing for
    it has been done in the past UO the original UO that is was so fun to play yet so many people complained about being ganked the very thing that made your palms sweat and your knees knock
    very sad state of affairs today in mmorpg it makes very sad to see this crap they are working on

You ever consider that the reason games are like they are now is because players like you are in the MINORITY?
    You make PvP sound sooo intense. I've never understood the thrill of it to be honest. If I want true action against another player, I play an FPS, not an MMORPG. With an MMO, it's not like any real skill is involved in beating your opponent (HA! I can hit a few hotkeys faster than you can! I'm UBER!).
    Come to think of it, why don't you play something like Lineage 2? That has full on PvP like you talk so vehemently about. As a matter of fact, why don't all of you PvP advocates play Lineage 2? For a full on PvP game, I don't see many people satisfied with it. Why not? It's got the type of PvP that you like, right?
    Anyway, take your knocking knees and sweaty palms elsewhere.

I did it for awhile, I hunted muderers in UO just because I got tired of it. In the heat of battle it was pretty exciting. But dealing with all the other BS that came with that mentality of people just wasn't worth it. Way too much overheard for a few minutes of something abit more fun then the other things in the game. And UO gankers were the worst I have ever seen.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Fadeus

I did it for awhile, I hunted muderers in UO just because I got tired of it. In the heat of battle it was pretty exciting. But dealing with all the other BS that came with that mentality of people just wasn't worth it. Way too much overheard for a few minutes of something abit more fun then the other things in the game. And UO gankers were the worst I have ever seen.

Yeah, I just consider the whole leet dude gankfest mentality to be one of the most immersion-breaking aspects of these games. Just the childish attitudes and generally rude behavior are enough to drive a person crazy sometimes. And my experience with it mainly comes from WoW, which I know is in NO WAY as bad as something like UO probably was back in the day =)

You know, now that I think of it, I don't even think I would mind a total free for all PvP game, if the majority of players who participated roleplayed or something like that. However, I know that's nothing but a pipe dream lol. But seriously, It's not getting sideswiped by another player that I find particualarly annoying, but it's the "LOL!!! PWNED YOU EFFIN' NOOB!!" that comes afterward that dismally reminds me of the morons I play the game with =)

• FadinawayFadinaway Member Posts: 270

I am pretty lucky.  In all my years of playing PvP in MMOs, I have only been killed by one person that decided to give the "LOL!!! PWNED YOU EFFIN' NOOB!!".  My guild then proceeded to deal swift justice.

WoW is good for the guy that doesn't want to hear his enemy say something like that.  You can't understand what they say! :D

Fadinaway
    Playerbase Solutions
    http://www.playerbasesolutions.com

• MerodocMerodoc Member Posts: 227

Lord of the Rings Online is not, and never was, a carebear game. Some of the best concepts for enemies I have ever seen have come out of Turbine, and they have not let us down just yet.

Furthermore, they stated that PvP as it is known in MMORPGs today will not be present in LOTRO. Sorry, but for me that means we can't deem this game carebear until fully fleshed-out.

To date, the developers, and, moreover, the entirety of the released content, has dealt with monsters and beasts a player can fight. I want them to perfect that, then get started on PvP for an expansion. If they can get PvE correct by forgoing PvP, then more power to them. Turbine has not displeased fans by not adding support for PvP because many know they themselves do not want the game to end up similar to World of Warcraft because of all of the 1337, immersion-ruining extreme gamers.

They, contrary to other game companies, believe in quality--not geeky gankfests.

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
    - Edward R. Murrow

• DarkWraithDarkWraith Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Merodoc

Lord of the Rings Online is not, and never was, a carebear game. Some of the best concepts for enemies I have ever seen have come out of Turbine, and they have not let us down just yet.
    Furthermore, they stated that PvP as it is known in MMORPGs today will not be present in LOTRO. Sorry, but for me that means we can't deem this game carebear until fully fleshed-out.

I agree.. i would like more info before i decide about this game.. There are so many possibilities for this game and i hope they work through most of them... But no PVP would be kinda tough, if that is really what is going to happen....In fact, it would weaken the game significantly, IMHO....  Its still a ways away from reality yet, so perhaps some new ideas will surface..

Originally posted by Fadeus
    I did it for awhile, I hunted muderers in UO just because I got tired of it. In the heat of battle it was pretty exciting. But dealing with all the other BS that came with that mentality of people just wasn't worth it. Way too much overheard for a few minutes of something abit more fun then the other things in the game. And UO gankers were the worst I have ever seen. Yeah, I just consider the whole leet dude gankfest mentality to be one of the most immersion-breaking aspects of these games. Just the childish attitudes and generally rude behavior are enough to drive a person crazy sometimes. And my experience with it mainly comes from WoW, which I know is in NO WAY as bad as something like UO probably was back in the day =)
    You know, now that I think of it, I don't even think I would mind a total free for all PvP game, if the majority of players who participated roleplayed or something like that. However, I know that's nothing but a pipe dream lol. But seriously, It's not getting sideswiped by another player that I find particualarly annoying, but it's the "LOL!!! PWNED YOU EFFIN' NOOB!!" that comes afterward that dismally reminds me of the morons I play the game with =)

You would be suprised how few gankers it takes before you just start getting bitter about it.

- Scaris