Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Profession Recommendation

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I'm a solo player. Marking time until GW2. Starting up from scratch in GW. I love ranged fighting characters.I was thinking of the 3 possibilitys...ranger, necromancer, and elementalist and given how much solo i play...and looking for a fun characer.I would like you recommendation and reason why. Thanks in advance for the help !

What would the primary and the secondary be ?

Comments

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Thought I might try the Ranger first w/alt an Elementalist. You have to ignore the one shot kills in the cinematics and check out what info is available on the diff professions. Will take GW2 and SWTOR as well as TSW for my gaming hobby.

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I'm a solo player. Marking time until GW2. Starting up from scratch in GW. I love ranged fighting characters.I was thinking of the 3 possibilitys...ranger, necromancer, and elementalist and given how much solo i play...and looking for a fun characer.I would like you recommendation and reason why. Thanks in advance for the help !

I play a Ranger/Elementalist and I think this is an extremely fun combo.  Elementalist by itself is super fun too.  I make that a secondary for whatever I play...like I have a Monk/Elementalist that's fun to play.  Eventually, you will have to play multiple characters to get more skills for your heroes unless you actually group with other people.  The base skills aren't enough to get you through the tougher stuff solo, even duoing.  I know from experience since my boyfriend and I duo a lot and we've had a lot of problems because of lack of skills. You can always buy the skills but that gets expensive.  Anyway, my favorites are Ranger and Elementalist for good ranged.  Necro never really appealed to me.

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I have a Ranger/Elementalist, a Warrior/Necromancer, and an Assassin/Mesmer.  The ranger and the assassin are the most fun, I think, but the warrior is okay too, just not as....I don't know.....flashy. :)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

When people mention 'solo' in this game, they mostly refer to solo farming. 99% of the game you will play with full party, playing with either players or heroes/henchmen. 90% of content can be done without having to group with real players. Just take heroes and you can do almost anything. Having this on your mind, choose any profession you like. You can do almost all content alone except some elite areas, hard dungeons and few missions.

If you want profession thats good on solo farming, choose ritualist, assassin, elementalist, dervish or monk.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

All those 3 works fine, ranger is probably a little easier the first few days.

As for secondary it doesn't matter so much since you can change it later after you ascended (which is a lot work in the first campaign but easy in the 2 other). Monk works fine so you can rez your group up more than once without killing a boss in between, probably easiest for your first character.

Ranger/monk is a great first character, you can make the other 2 classes in the other 2 campaigns later when you learn the ropes a little better. :)

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Your question is really tough because GW is so flexible. I'd look thru the great or good builds on PvX wiki and see what some of the possibilities are.

I ran a Necro like this http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Build:N/Me_SS_Nuker

for a long time and loved for one how powerful it was with those few skills and the ability to swap out the others for different situations.

I also basically tanked with a minion master http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/Build:N/

but I didn't have a set build, usually had monk as a secondary there.

Ran this ranger build for a long time http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Build:R/any_Barrage_Ranger

With a Zealous or Vampiric bow you get really great sustained AoE which is nice for a lot of things, I'd often run with an interrupt or two to deal with harder foes.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Im having fun with ranger/para using barrage - elite skill. Para has decent skills to support your group like HP regen or armor boost for a few seconds if things get out of control. Also there is "shoot for the eyes" which gives whole group over 50% chance to crit every few seconds. You can litteraly spam barrage which hits up to 6 nearby enemies and keep "shoot for the eyes" constantly up. I also use a ranger skill that interrupts enemy every time you crit and another skill (stance) that makes you attack 33% faster.

With a great 7-hero setup I found on gwguru there is nothing I can't handle in normal mode.