Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Electronic Arts' Ultima Online Sucks?

Comments

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

This is pretty sorry; a totally pathetic abuse of power.

Someone here at mmorpg.com edited the title of this thread from;

Why Electronic Arts' Ultima Online Sucks?"

To, "Electronic Arts' Ultima Online"

And I quote the mmorpg.com rules of conduct regarding negativity towards games:

Game Attacks

* Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.

Example: "Game X sucks." is not a legitimate comment. "Game X sucks, because..." is acceptable.

www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#conduct

And, like the coward that they are, they didn't even bother to send me a message.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,105

I noticed this too.  That's pretty shady of them, but does not surprise me.  This web-site has done nothing but gone down hill since it launched.  I honestly only come back here for the Ultima Online forum.  Stratic's UO site is nothing but people that should have played Everquest instead of Ultima Online.

It is kind of shocking to see that this thread is still alive three plus years later though. 

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    Originally posted by MaeEye

Originally posted by kishe

sad thing is...no matter how much ea tries to ruin uo...no other mmo still has even quarter of its depth
    Which is really sad, honestly.  Think about it, UO was way ahead of it's time.  Richard and Long were geneius when they developed this game.  UO was a masterpeice, simple as that.  It was a game that, of course had it's flaws, but the freedom and depth outweight the flaws in the game.  This was the first time you could actually log in a game, be someone else and interact with people just like you.  It's sad to see interview about UO these days with Richard in them.  You can really sense the love that he had for that game.  I will never doubt Richard for what he has done, he has made a game that will forever live in my memories.  I miss Ultima Online, I miss seeing Lord British and Blackthorn in the game.  I miss reading the player submited stories posted on UO.com and I just miss old time UO, period.

I agree-UO was so far ahead. It's what got me excited about online MMO's.  I really wish the game's graphic engine would be updated and the game brought back in its orginal gameplay.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

What is actually needed is someone to PK EA and loot their UO rights. EA is shit and can only produce more shit, they have awesome trackrecord to show for it.

• Mystic_FuzzMystic_Fuzz Member UncommonPosts: 36

I got a 15 day account recently just to see what was going on and what I saw was shocking, but not really a surprise.

I saw nothing.

Meaning people... the shards are practically empty apart from Atlantic. The sad reality is that EA allowed the game to get so bad that there is really no hope in fixing it apart from making a whole new game. Even then, the only way I would attempt to play a new UO game is if EA lets the rights go to another company who can do it right, because it would inevitably be a repeat of what we've already seen with all EA games: It releases, they don't support it, allow the game to be exploited and bugged beyond recognition, and then allow it to implode before closing it and walking away with their bank accounts filled to work on some new project that will inevitably be just as flawed.

Ultima Online
    Mystic of The Fallen Lords (Pacific 98-01)
    Mystic of Catskills (03 - 08)

• SmartwhoisSmartwhois Member Posts: 58

It is interesting that this thread has had 39,162 views, but only 295 votes. There must be many more readers here than members and very few members participate in polls.

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by sempiternal

This is pretty sorry; a totally pathetic abuse of power.

Someone here at mmorpg.com edited the title of this thread from;

Why Electronic Arts' Ultima Online Sucks?"

To, "Electronic Arts' Ultima Online"

And I quote the mmorpg.com rules of conduct regarding negativity towards games:

Game Attacks

* Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.

Example: "Game X sucks." is not a legitimate comment. "Game X sucks, because..." is acceptable.

www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#conduct

And, like the coward that they are, they didn't even bother to send me a message.

The proper title to the thread has been restored!

• AshynAshyn Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by sempiternal

The original producer and director of Ultima Online, Lord British & Lord Blackthorn:

Garriott has got to be the hottest developer ever. (Yes, I know, totally opinionated and completely off-topic).
  • NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by Smartwhois

It is interesting that this thread has had 39,162 views, but only 295 votes. There must be many more readers here than members and very few members participate in polls.

I think a big reason for the disparity of views vs votes is that whenever the thread appears on the recent post list, you are taken to the most recent post and not the start of the thread.

Very few people will go back and read the OP and 1st page if there are enough quotes to get it.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Yes I was pre R and loved Uo then, I still play UO Pre R and enjoy it still. If EA did a classic shard I would consider playing it depending on what they settle on for a classic shard, but it won't happen so I stay where I am enjoying UO in all it's Pre R glory.  Uo Pre R is a great canvas that players bring to life.

• SmartwhoisSmartwhois Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by NightCloak

Originally posted by Smartwhois

I think a big reason for the disparity of views vs votes is that whenever the thread appears on the recent post list, you are taken to the most recent post and not the start of the thread.

Very few people will go back and read the OP and 1st page if there are enough quotes to get it.

Good point, maybe polls should be listed at the bottom of every page of a poll thread to pick up everyone reading the thread.

Still that is a HUGE difference, almost 40,000 views compared to only 300 votes? I think it must just be that most don't bother to register or login.

Edit: actually, I just checked and it's currently 57,540 views now but only 319 votes. So I think that's right. Most just read and never register or login.

• kh91vykh91vy Member Posts: 1

UO has come a long way since this was originally posted. See for your self. Like anything, it has its flaws. But you will certainly find a rich and rewarding game. 

If you are interested, feel free to icq me at 74431689 (Mac). I reside on the Europa shard. I would be glad to help you get started. 

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,105

Originally posted by kh91vy
    UO has come a long way since this was originally posted. See for your self. Like anything, it has its flaws. But you will certainly find a rich and rewarding game. 
    If you are interested, feel free to icq me at 74431689 (Mac). I reside on the Europa shard. I would be glad to help you get started. 

I couldn't agree any more!  Thank you so much for not making this another "UO used to be..." It has come a long way and it does have flaws, but there is still so much you can do in the game that it makes up for all the thing we've lost.  Growing plants for decoration or alchemy, customizing houses, new skills for combat and out of combat.

I've heard Europa is a really heavy RP shard.  I may have to try it sometime.  I play on Atlantic and Chesapeake.
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I would still be roleplaying on the Europa shard was it not for my playing times and my timezone. Alas, at the times anything interesting starts to happen on Europa it's already bedtime for me :(

• Hitman111110Hitman111110 Member Posts: 9

I used to play UO, but I did leave after RL took effect, and once I came back it was too much of a  mockery of the series.  Though I will defend a one of the designers, and that would be Sunsword.   He did his best to ensure this game stayed with the best, He pushed and pushed for alot of changes that were shot down.

After the real Lord British left the company, the game lost meaning to EA.  When Orgin Systems was no more the game was completely loss.  Then of course when EA killed the Counslour, Seer, and Companion people for paid employees the lawsuits happend and it only dragged the game thru the mud even more.

I still find myself checking the site to see what is going on yet unable to really drag myself back into the game,,

• Coltaine00Coltaine00 Member Posts: 52

I left 4 years ago and haven't been back since.  Tried a couple of freeshards, but it wasn't the same.

I can give EA a pass on UOR - and making Trammel / Fel - it takes a lot for me to say that, but I will. 

But, I'll never understand why EA decided to alienate the player base by releasing Age of Shadows - some terrible attempt by a bunch of developers, who clearly did not play the game, who completely ruined everything.

Economy was completely blown out of proportion, massive artifact imbalances, rewarding the dupers...  Remember 5/6 fast casting?  Basically making the person cast so quickly that they were invulnerable?

Oh, and how long did it take for you to correct that issue?  Doh, you'll let these severe imbalances go on for another 6-12 months because YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE DOING.  Meanwhile... good-bye subs!

AoS / pub 16 ruined my experience with UO - there was a pretty thriving PvP community, but most people I knew started to quit when the items and power scrolls came out.

50 million duped gold for a +20 mage scroll!!

another 75 mill for a Ornament of the Magician!

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122

I used to be a UO player, until the gameplay took a purple AOS neon, 100% LRC, 100% SSI, 100% lightning strike arrow of epic fail to the knee.

Anyway, EA made AOS to try and ride on the coat tails of the WoW mainstream craze in the hopes they would be able to steal subs away from Blizzard. Oh, how foolish they were. It went from UO to World of Ultimacraft. It went from a game of skill, character build and stragtegy to how good your items were. Arti suits ruled everything and without a powerscroll, your 100.0% character was a joke. Crafting was made useless. PvP was so imbalanced, it was rendered completely pointless.

Today, its a pathetic shade of its former self. Abandoned servers, empty dungeons, and nothing but hackers, dupers, cheaters and gold farmers are left to populate luna bank, spamming their crap all day long to nonexistant buyers. Disgusting... absolutely disgusting.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Originally posted by vaultbrain

I used to be a UO player, until the gameplay took a purple AOS neon, 100% LRC, 100% SSI, 100% lightning strike arrow of epic fail to the knee.

Anyway, EA made AOS to try and ride on the coat tails of the WoW mainstream craze in the hopes they would be able to steal subs away from Blizzard. Oh, how foolish they were. It went from UO to World of Ultimacraft. It went from a game of skill, character build and stragtegy to how good your items were. Arti suits ruled everything and without a powerscroll, your 100.0% character was a joke. Crafting was made useless. PvP was so imbalanced, it was rendered completely pointless.

Today, its a pathetic shade of its former self. Abandoned servers, empty dungeons, and nothing but hackers, dupers, cheaters and gold farmers are left to populate luna bank, spamming their crap all day long to nonexistant buyers. Disgusting... absolutely disgusting.

Pretty much this. The game you see today is some ugly offspring that burst out of the chest of the game there used to be. AoS turned the game into something different, and was right around when I left the game. Its sad, if someone made a UO 2 that was similar to pre-aos UO, fixed its host of issues and brought it into modern day with graphics and controls, I am fairly sure I would become part of my chair and never leave my house. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    This is a common factor with ea, hackers and cheats rampant in daoc and war also

Soon be coming to star wars no doubt also
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

EA bought Origin Systems in 1992.

Ultima Online came out in 1997.

So...

• King-KongKing-Kong Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by BadSpock

EA bought Origin Systems in 1992.

Ultima Online came out in 1997.

So...

So, you don't know the history of UO.

And apparently you didn't even read the topic you replied to.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by vaultbrain

So many amusing layers to that statement. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AxiomAxiom Member Posts: 15

Great trip down memory Lane. If someone (besides EA, since everything they touch turns to sh*t these days. Proving they dont know anything any more about making GOOD games) make a UO type of game again. I *so* would be there if I had to kick my way to the front of the line.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

UO had a horribly buggy launch and I was too caught up playing competitive Quake CTF with friends to start playing UO.  I also skipped EQ for game design and laughable graphics reasons.  I'm sure I missed something special wtih UO after it matured, but the full loot rules probably would have driven me insane.  Can't imagine paying a monthly fee for that.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

WOW talk about the ultimate recurring necro thread :), been going since 07

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson