Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is the RP?!

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Seriously?

WHERE IN THE CYBER WORLD IS WALDO… I mean.. RP!?

I don’t understand it’s an MMORPG – So where is the RP? I mean in scale, or at least a game that caters to those of us interested in such things.

I’ve seen mainstream MMORPGS with every niche catered to but the most centric one to the genre, I’ve seen PvP, PvE, Casual, hardcore, Sandbox, Themepark, RLT, Castle Sieges, Land Wars, Crafting, I’ve seen MMO’s that even boast about have nudity, and the ability to have sex (Consensual or otherwise!). However..

I’ve seen –few- with true RP support, sure there are dedicated “RP” servers on various games, but all that usually means is more strict naming regulations, and a never-enforced chatting policy, and if you are lucky an underground out casted group of RPers who are so scared of trolls they must RP in secret.

When will the persecution of my people end? Where is the RP support? Rift was a huge let down with this, hell it regressed in RP support as even WoW let you sit down on furniture, and had a wide spectrum of vanity items that were viable for RP.

Everquest 2 is the best game I can think of with any sort of RP support, however that game is almost a decade old.. triple sad face!

:(

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Saga of Ryzom has a scenario editor or something. Might be worth checking out?

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

After UO, the games that hada semblance of RP (not necessarily support, but some) were LOTRO and, stronger support, City of Heroes/Villains.

But I agree with you in general. RP is, sadly, a lost recreational activity in MMORPG's. Hopefully TOR and/or GW2 will show a bit of resurgence in that area.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Divion

When will the persecution of my people end? Where is the RP support?

It's fifteen years ago, in the best MUDs.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Divion

When will the persecution of my people end? Where is the RP support?

It's fifteen years ago, in the best MUDs.

Ok, so what exactily is stopping them (Game Devs) from re-embracing it?

Doesn't it seem silly that the industry has walked away from the MAIN STAPLE of the genre? Seriousily..

I want to be in the ROLE of my character, i want emersion, i want to feel involved.. i wants to feel like the RP in MMORPG is more then just 2 letters between Online Game, as of right now they are just that "MMOGS", Massive Multi-Player Online Games.

The silly thing is RP Support allows for greater content expansions on nearily all aspects of the game (I.E. Crafters could craft vanity items, funiture, ect) -- Again Everquest 2 was one of the few games that allowed for this, but even that game has a small RP community these days, mostily due to it's age.

I don't understand why it has been phased out, i under stand the targeted market is the mass casual playing market, but the thing is, we RPers started this genre, we are the reason this website exists, we may be the minority but we are loud, and still strong in numbers, a game that targets the RP base of MMORPG customers would be given a gaurenteed audience, and a stronger consumer base - based off that simple fact alone.

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

I dont get it......cant u RP anywhere? what features do u need?

You need help to role play your own character?

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• TravisimoTravisimo Member Posts: 12

LOTRO, Landroval and Laurelin, is the only game I've seen any RP in. I have not played on the latter, but the former has as much as 50% RPer community base. 

Needless to say, griefers don't last long.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

I kinda feel like people forgot what vintage RP was. It was you taking control over a character and living out his life/ROLE. This exists in pretty much every game. So the RP in MMORPG is correct but if you wanted to go to the hardcore form of RP where you create your own character and develop it's story, this is a effort of play thats on a decline because it's strengthened by sandbox games where you matter to the world... and currently no sand box games are worthy of mattering.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"