Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Endgame replacement for gear grind..

2»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by Icewhite

Honestly, "high score" schemes keep me interested in a game for even less time than a gear grind would.

Particularly when players find the various ways to make the rankings...er...bent.  Manipulated.  Abused.

Then all this tells me that you're not the archiever type of player....   Did you ever realise there where players in MMO country with different needs then you?

Swing...and a miss.  Strike one.

You can be an achiever in many other ways besides the High Score.  Just take a pencil and start writing down how many different varieties of Status Symbols WoW offers at the endgame, for example.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I apsolutely love the OP's idea! Thumbs up!

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Actually the solution for this is quite simple.... Rankings.... with titles..

I would suggest 3 rankings, a PvE ranking a PvP ranking and a combined....  and on top of that possibly rankings for crafters and mini games...

being able to get your name on the top of that list or in a higher position combined with a competitve element could be enough reason to keep the acheivers occupied during endgame.... There is nothing as cool as being top of the list or the highest ranking player of your guild....  If people take the bite of competition it might keep them occupied for a very long time, without unballancing the game...  And if there are some really really really hard encounters.... they would have something to beat.

Making these rankings visible to all and everyone would be a top priority for Arenanet...   so basically instead of gear people that need to have that feeling of archievement will be occupied with grinding their ranking, while others can just enjoy the fun without being handicaped with bad gear and not beingcompetitive... and whos really the best player? well thats purely a skill thing...and with the WvWvW thing we will all know whome are the leading players of our own server and respect them for that...

So i hear you people say... but there are titles for showing off these things.... well titles are not as clear and measurable because i can only show one of my 150 titles at the same time...

I know all those archeivers who are now deeply entangled intoo the gear grind will eventually replace their lust for gear for a lust of improving their position.

Solid Post and some great ideas.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • MurahMurah Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

didn't they do something exactly like this in Aion? Where like top 3% pvpers get the ability to transform? problem with a system like that is it's pretty much impossible for a person that can't play 10+ hours a day to achieve and thus extremely stupid. 

But maybe you mean copying the WoW way and giving titles for achievements? like "gladiator"? I guess my point here is it has already been done. 

What "copying WoW?" Young puppy, it is WoW that copied achievement titles from GW1... (i'm sure other games had it even earlier but it is GW1 that made title collecting practically the endgame lol)

lol young puppy? GW1 released AFTER WoW. achievement titles were around B4 GW1, sorry little fanboi. The point was that it's been done before. Don't get all mad dog just because your little game isn't as innovative as you'd like to make people think it was. 

Nope, that's incorrect. PVP titles in WoW didn't come until patch 1.4, which was in May of 2005. Guild Wars was released in April of 2005. Will you come back and eat some crow now? Or just be typical and ignore it and complain about something else?

DAoC trumps you all.  pvp titles around the year 2000 or so, maybe 1999. 

And Yes, they were addictive to strive for.  I'd go a week playing 14 hours a day just to see my name on top of the player killing points earned list for my class for the week.  This reward system is sooo much better than some kind of gear.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Actually the solution for this is quite simple.... Rankings.... with titles..

I would suggest 3 rankings, a PvE ranking a PvP ranking and a combined....  and on top of that possibly rankings for crafters and mini games...

being able to get your name on the top of that list or in a higher position combined with a competitve element could be enough reason to keep the acheivers occupied during endgame.... There is nothing as cool as being top of the list or the highest ranking player of your guild....  If people take the bite of competition it might keep them occupied for a very long time, without unballancing the game...  And if there are some really really really hard encounters.... they would have something to beat.

Making these rankings visible to all and everyone would be a top priority for Arenanet...   so basically instead of gear people that need to have that feeling of archievement will be occupied with grinding their ranking, while others can just enjoy the fun without being handicaped with bad gear and not beingcompetitive... and whos really the best player? well thats purely a skill thing...and with the WvWvW thing we will all know whome are the leading players of our own server and respect them for that...

So i hear you people say... but there are titles for showing off these things.... well titles are not as clear and measurable because i can only show one of my 150 titles at the same time...

I know all those archeivers who are now deeply entangled intoo the gear grind will eventually replace their lust for gear for a lust of improving their position.

It's a good idea.  I think there should be some games where you have to group to level up group skills and pvp to increase pvp skills.  Titles are fun.

Also, why not level up in a specific  battle area such as an ancient castle.  Leveling up in that ancient castle lets you do fun things like release monsters, raise undead, open/use portals and gates.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Great ideas OP :)

I've been a little concerned over the guild system in GW2, I'm a fan of guild loyalty and building an online 'family', not keen of being able to guild hop. We know that guilds will be able to hold keeps in The Mists, if there was a system of guild achievements it might help build loyalties, it could of course have the initial opposite effect, people jumping to the more successful guild but once settled it could help create more loyalty and provide some longevity. The challenge missions in Factions had a guild leader board, something else that could help.