Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Gods and Heroes as bad as everyone says?

Ok so I played Gods and Heroes in beta... did a video about it... and didnt find anything to bad. Now most of my views will be in the video (As Usual), but I just want everyone to post down below why this game is as bad as everyone says. I mean it has good gameplay elements, and decent ideas. 

Gods and Heroes First Impressions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nSCsDZEcPc

Just post below your thoughts on the game, personally I think the graphics are pretty decent, the combat is a tad lacking, but not to bad. Really lookin forward to hearing what you guys think... and maybe if this post gets enough good critisim ill even send it to Heatwave and say "Here, this is how you fix your game and make people want to play it". 

Thanks,

Zach Sharpes

Also make sure to comment, rate, and subscribe!

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

who knows they just gave out a 3 day trial, wooohoooooo , who can tell in 3 days

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"Everyone" said it was bad but no one said why? Seems odd.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by Loktofeit

"Everyone" said it was bad but no one said why? Seems odd.

1. Dated GFX. Maybe looked good 4-5 years ago but people expect better in 2011.

2. Lack of content. Quest your way to level 30, then err thats it. No Crafting/pvp/ Auction House or Raids.

3. Bugs, lots of them.  For example, when i played the trial, the second mob i killed stood there with zero health then 5 seconds  later slid along the ground like a snake.

4. Lack of re-play. Role an alt but expect to do the same quests as you did with your first character.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I liked it while I was testing it, just not enough to buy it. I certainly enjoyed it more than Rift, it had a lot of things in it that were refreshing. Oddly, I was put off by them adding the quest-tracker, I enjoyed it more when I had to run around and find things.

But I guess I was in a minority there.

The graphics didn't put me off at all, the art style was fine. I thought it was a bit cheeky to launch without all the classes, but I still wouldn't call it a bad game, it just didn't grab me *enough* with all the other games on the horizon.

I think if the deveopment history had been kinder it would have done pretty well....

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

You may enjoy this game if you:

• Like supporting dedicated dev teams
    • Like ancient history/mythology
    • Play at a relaxed rate
    • Are willing to wait for new content
    • Enjoy questing

If you do not fall into any of these then I doubt you will enjoy the game as it stands.

yea this is a game that calls out for new content, building your estate is a nice idea but crafting would be perfect for this and they have none yet or different ways to build, , maybe in about a year this would be worth rechecking

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206

This game sucks major time. I mean, I knew it wasnt complete, etc. But this bad? Man, its nog even beta yet! And they dare to ask 9,99 euros for it a month. I mean ... man and then they dare to say they are doing a quiz to give one person a free helmet. If thats gonna keep people? Lol!

• GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Xexv

You may enjoy this game if you:

• Like supporting dedicated dev teams

• Like ancient history/mythology

• Play at a relaxed rate

• Are willing to wait for new content

• Enjoy questing

If you do not fall into any of these then I doubt you will enjoy the game as it stands.

I agree with this and the main reason I like it is the mythological feel to it. 

• kylekbbkylekbb Member Posts: 165

Iagree with te person above its a good game. But they started going broke i guess and had to get some money before shutting it down  and selling. So its not totaly finished and needs to be updated with conent and add a auction house with some other things. It was a refreshing game and i enjoyed my beta on it but i think it needs more time. And the trial needs to be longer than three days that is crap.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

The game looks bad and unfinished, but its probably too little too late for this game, with all the AAA titles that are suppose to be the savior of the MMO industry after 10 years ,lol ya right , hey !!!

I dont think too many people want to invest time in money in a half finished game.

but who knows, even in this over staurated market with about 20000 crappy MMOs they still seem to be making a profit and pumping out new ones daily.

Originally posted by kylekbb

Iagree with te person above its a good game. But they started going broke i guess and had to get some money before shutting it down  and selling. So its not totaly finished and needs to be updated with conent and add a auction house with some other things. It was a refreshing game and i enjoyed my beta on it but i think it needs more time. And the trial needs to be longer than three days that is crap.

Well it is a no limitations free trial so you can get through some of the game without any snags, but yeah I think they did release it unfinished for that same reason.

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036

It's not a bad game. It's just a woefully incomplete one. I actually enjoyed the 30 or so hours I put into it in both beta testing and the recent free three day trial. The game's biggest problem? Nobody plays it. And when people do play it, it's 15-30 at a time on (Bacchus server) and nobody says boo in the global channel. I said hello a few times, got a hello back once, and crickets the rest of the time. Even the so-called die hard regulars of this game that post over at the official forums were on (I saw them in the social list) and they never said boo to anyone either. Maybe they're in their own little tribe (guild) world and didn't have the inclination to say squat to anyone. Who knows?

But with an average of say 100 people on during US prime time spread across three servers, is this game going to survive? What revenue is it getting from such paltry numbers? They offered the world a free three day trial and hardly anyone took them up on it.

I hope GnH doesn't go the same path Horizons/Istaria did and become a cult little game for a cult little niche that's impenetrable to the new player. It deserves better, but right now nobody is playing it. It's a shame.

• FredelasFredelas Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by PeterRJG

I hope GnH doesn't go the same path Horizons/Istaria did and become a cult little game for a cult little niche that's impenetrable to the new player. It deserves better, but right now nobody is playing it. It's a shame.

There is not enough complexity or even potential for complexity in this game for it ever to become "impenetrable" to new players.

The only complexity involved seems to be the ritual song and dance required to get the game to run more than 5 minutes without crashing. In my 30 days of play on several different computers, this was the only aspect of the game I was unable to master.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

You would have to REALLY love the source material in order to justify playing Gods and Heroes over the plethora of other WoW clones out there.  Gods and Heroes is buggy, unfinished, and probably has less than 300 people playing on their servers at a time.

Originally posted by Fredelas

There is not enough complexity or even potential for complexity in this game for it ever to become "impenetrable" to new players.

Impenetrable in the sense the game is a cult item populated by members of a cult, as it is in Horizons/Istaria. Not easy or simple for a new player to get in with it all.

Of course there's nothing complex about GnH. Nothing at all.

• FredelasFredelas Member Posts: 36

Impenetrable in the sense the game is a cult item populated by members of a cult, as it is in Horizons/Istaria. Not easy or simple for a new player to get in with it all.

Of course there's nothing complex about GnH. Nothing at all.

Ah, I understand what you mean now.

It's true that the smaller a community is, and the longer it is isolated, the more difficult it can become for newcomers to integrate.

So far, most players and tribes seem to have an exceptionally open attitude. There just aren't enough secrets or obscure tricks or competitive aspects to the game to warrant any sense of exclusivity. I think as long as the game can afford to keep operating, new players will be gladly accepted.

"Welcome aboard the RMS Titanic!"

• AshynAshyn Member Posts: 91

The game's biggest problem? Nobody plays it. And when people do play it, it's 15-30 at a time on (Bacchus server) and nobody says boo in the global channel. I said hello a few times, got a hello back once, and crickets the rest of the time. Even the so-called die hard regulars of this game that post over at the official forums were on (I saw them in the social list) and they never said boo to anyone either. Maybe they're in their own little tribe (guild) world and didn't have the inclination to say squat to anyone. Who knows?

If you read the GnH forums, you'll see several people have stated that they stay in their "Tribe" channel and "can't be bothered" with "global chat."  To worsen it, some are advocating that "global chat" not be incorporated into Tribal chat because they don't want to see what people are saying "globally" (i.e they want limited socialization).  So, when the game dies because, people like you, log in and no one speaks to them - those who have caused the diversity will have no one to blame but themselves.

But, don't believe it when they say - oh it is because global chat doesn't show up in Tribe chat, so we don't see it. All anyone has to do is seperate the tabs and pull either tab to another area of the screen to have both visible.

I stopped playing A Tale in the Desert because of the elitist attitude that developed in that game - GnH has gone down the same path.

At any given time of day, there are more people on the forums than there are in-game. That speaks volumes.

-Ashyn

Yep, I played A Tale in the Desert for a short while and know exactly the idiotic snobbery you mention. Little nowhere lords in their nowhere land.

Every game I've played that's implemented multiple chat channel tabs has given them some sort of highlight when something goes on in them, so it's a cue to check it out. There's no such feature in GnH.

Not that the stuck up folk would pay it any heed.

It's not a bad game. It's just a woefully incomplete one. I actually enjoyed the 30 or so hours I put into it in both beta testing and the recent free three day trial. The game's biggest problem? Nobody plays it. And when people do play it, it's 15-30 at a time on (Bacchus server) and nobody says boo in the global channel. I said hello a few times, got a hello back once, and crickets the rest of the time. Even the so-called die hard regulars of this game that post over at the official forums were on (I saw them in the social list) and they never said boo to anyone either. Maybe they're in their own little tribe (guild) world and didn't have the inclination to say squat to anyone. Who knows?

But with an average of say 100 people on during US prime time spread across three servers, is this game going to survive? What revenue is it getting from such paltry numbers? They offered the world a free three day trial and hardly anyone took them up on it.

Yeah I didnt feel it was a bad game either and I was in Beta Testing and the three day trial, the only problem which has been mentioned through out the forum is the games buggy and incomplete. Thus I think it will go F2P soon or have a HUGE overhall. Now I doubt Heatwave has a overhall op there sleave, but hey, yeah never know. 

Yep, I played A Tale in the Desert for a short while and know exactly the idiotic snobbery you mention. Little nowhere lords in their nowhere land.

Every game I've played that's implemented multiple chat channel tabs has given them some sort of highlight when something goes on in them, so it's a cue to check it out. There's no such feature in GnH.

Not that the stuck up folk would pay it any heed.

Yeah I had maybe one person who said hi to me... other than that... nothing...

YES!

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206

Yes, this game is not that good yet. I love the setting, the possibilities. But the game is not done yet. Even now, some of the major players, who do alot of things for the game like guild organising, making maps ,etc. left. I can understand why, because the officials just left them cold. Oh yes, they have the best open transparant aproach I have ever seen, but they just let them down. They made an interactive map, etc. and never a good word to them on the forums. They send bug reports and got ignored (these where their own words).

To bad though, I want this game to be great, but after banning people on the forums because they are just telling the truth is bad. They have definitly lost them as customers.

Sad to say they are loosing alot of customers and they only have a handfull at the time now, so I guess the game will die soon. Sad to hear, but true. Witch MMO nowadays doesnt have a crafting system, ah, social area's, etc. Well this one doesnt. All it has is grind, grind, bugs, grind, glitches in the middle of a flat road, grind, etc. Oh did I mention the grind?

Have fun, have a nice day and sorry for the inconfenience (tm HI)

• HamlethHamleth Member Posts: 26

The lore and the theme is really great, but the realisation is really poor. Quests are boring, our char is simply ridiculous, the game has a lot of bugs, the world is EMPTY. Never saw another player. I have a 3 month sub never met a player or even saw a msg on the channel. Game is empty even at low levels (i have a 10 char)

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

I think the problem is that there are just too many games in the state that G&H is in.  Theres a lot of "were in development but launched" games out there.  However...most are sandboxes or trying to do something unique.  This seems like a stab at a roman myth based themepark.

Not a lot of people are going to go for a themeparks that lacks any themeparks, when the market is saturated to death with polished,populated, and heavily contented (made my own word there).

So really the only selling point would be for people who are frothing at the mouth for this type of lore, which doesnt seem to be many.  I do give the developers credit for trying a diffrent lore type, god has the medieival fantasy ( which is always a mixed bag of older well established lores) been beaten to death.

However, where a sandbox of this type might have had a larger following (people are hurting for sandboxes) theres even now a glut in that niche market, given theres like 5 sandboxes in the same or worse state as this game appears to be in.

With that said, im avoiding even the sandboxes in development but launched stage, and would touch a polished themepark with a 10 foot pole (thank Rift, ill never touch a themepark again).

Its a shame this game couldnt be converted easily into a skill based sandbox game.  Unless im 100% mistaken from the feedback ive seen regarding this game and it actually is a sandbox...i think the gravy train on that even has passed.

There is really little room, and little patience for under developed games, especially themeparks.  People will bite their tounge for a little and support someone thinking out of the box, but i doubt many will do that for someone slapping a decent lore on the same old.

Best of luck however.