Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in coming back to EVE, was I doing it wrong?

CarnifexRexCarnifexRex Member Posts: 52

Hey folks,

I'm looking into coming back to EVE. I haven't played much in the past, and enjoyed what little I did play. However, the one thing that really irked me was the fact that I spent half my time playing the game, not playing at all. I would always have a ridiculous amount of jumps to make for what seemed like everything I had to do to progress my character. 

My question to you is, is there some way of reducing the amount of travel you have to do so that you're not warping through jump after jump?

Any tips/tricks/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

First of all auto-pilot is much slower than doing it manually yourself. If you were doing 20+ jumps on auto-pilot sitting there watching the screen then that would infuriate anyone. Also I recommend moving your "home base" to a place closer to the trade centers (Jita for instance) so you aren't more than a few jumps away from where you will be buying your skills/ships/fittings. 

It always takes a good amount of time... some tips for bringing up your skills quicker. If you purchase a special version of the game instead of off the EVE website its called the "Commissioned Officer Edition" then you get a stat booster for 35 days on a new character which greatly increases your skill gain. Keep in mind this is not a 35-day boost, this is good for the first 35 days of your character, so if you already have a character that is 30 days old I DO NOT recommend this. Also you can sell this boost to other players for ~150-200mil ISK if you want, but the ISK isn't really worth it, the skill boost is much better.

Also as anyone would tell you try to get your cybernetics up first and get implants for the stats you want. Then because you start with 2 (i think 2) stat changes you can modify your base stats to maximimize your skill again. However I DO NOT RECOMMEND changing your base stats unless you are 100% certain on what you want to do. This makes all your non-major stat skills level up much slower.

**edit**

I wanted to add a disclaimer, always make sure you know exactly what you want to do with a character before spending all skill points towards stuff. If you're not sure what you want to do do some research, http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/ that is a good idea of all the stuff you can do in EVE. Once you have an idea of what you want to do you can start learning skills in that direction... I swear most of my time in EVE was spent on websites looking stuff up...

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• CarnifexRexCarnifexRex Member Posts: 52

Thanks heaps man. I really appreciate all the info.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by bblackwood

Hey folks,

I'm looking into coming back to EVE. I haven't played much in the past, and enjoyed what little I did play. However, the one thing that really irked me was the fact that I spent half my time playing the game, not playing at all. I would always have a ridiculous amount of jumps to make for what seemed like everything I had to do to progress my character. 

My question to you is, is there some way of reducing the amount of travel you have to do so that you're not warping through jump after jump?

Any tips/tricks/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Have not played in a while, but no.  Long travel is part of the game.

There are a couple tips, i guess, one as stated above, try to set up your base close to where you work/play.

Do not use auto pilot for a few reasons, first it can and does send you through some low sec areas if you do not set it to NOT do so.

Second,  it does take longer than if you manualy use the jump to 0 range at gates so you can go right through them and continue on.

And third, even in hi-sec, there are people that scan ships and if they see a good high value target on a weak ship they will kill you for some of their partners to see if you drop any good loot, either from expensive components on ship or from cargo.

Main thing is always be at keyboard if you have anything valuable at all in or on ship, so you can use warp to 0 and go right through gates.

If you need to fly a long distance to buy something try to use the best small/fast ship you can drive. Long trips go much faster in small fast ships set up to travel distances fast and pretty safe, even if you are hauling valuables.

Best advice you can get is play the game, do NOT plan out your character for months in advance and then just watch a calaender to see when you need to start a new skill:)

Start playing, see what you like to do and if you have something training you decide you do not like as much then switch to other skills and try to train as you play.

Try to focus after you learn what you like to do, fighting, small ships, mining, trade, whatever you like then train in those skills that will help you do what you find you like the most.

If you decide to stay and play game, then look into getting into a corp that mainly does what you like. This may entail a move of your base, but most corps can and will help you get moved safely if that is so.  and ASK in game about any corp you are thinking of joining. EVE celerbbrates scam artists, and they can be found in corps too. Ones that will try to trick you into a bad area to kill/rob you.