Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously considering getting into this game

LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Are there different servers like wow, etc

if not, could someone recommend a corp for a new player? Maybe a one that wouldn't mind donating some ISK to get me on my feet? /shyface

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

single-shard server set-up, which is very cool. I'm also looking to get into EvE, but schedule is slipping to the NY now (annoyingly!). So I'll be getting set on this then. : ( Guess there's plenty of starter wikis etc to read up at least : )

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Unless you have friends in game, like RL friends or know people who play from another MMO -

The only Corp (guild) you'll be able to get into as a noob is EvE University, but they have like a 2-3 week wait time for interviews/applications/joining.

You need 20 million+ skill points to join a decent corp, 40-60 million and a good membership history to join a good one.

That will take you months, probably 6-9 months at least.

You'll also have to be self sufficent in terms of money/ships/gear, which means 6+ months grinding for ISK in missions, doing mission salvage, or mining which is literally one of the most boring tasks ever in any MMORPG.

Or you'll have to buy PLEX on top of your monthly subscription costs.

And unless you are already in one of the corps that hangs out in Null Sec, if you ever try to leave High Sec space and actually do something fun/risky you're going to get locked down and podded as soon as you get on the other side of the gate.

So yeah, unless you -

A) already have friends in game who can help you/assist you/baby sit you

or

B) have the patience to totally and completely suck in every way at everything for 6-9 months before you can start having fun.

then don't waste your time and money on EvE.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by BadSpock

Unless you have friends in game, like RL friends or know people who play from another MMO -

The only Corp (guild) you'll be able to get into as a noob is EvE University, but they have like a 2-3 week wait time for interviews/applications/joining.

This is utterly false. EVE University applications are accepted within a few days. http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Applying_to_EVE_University

There are also many newplayers-friendly corps willing to take you and help you with your first steps.

You need 20 million+ skill points to join a decent corp, 40-60 million and a good membership history to join a good one.

Again, false. I joined my first 0.0 alliance with barely 10m sp. Until then, I've been in hihg-sec corps with very good peeps and a good amount of action and operations.

You'll also have to be self sufficent in terms of money/ships/gear, which means 6+ months grinding for ISK in missions, doing mission salvage, or mining which is literally one of the most boring tasks ever in any MMORPG.

False. If you play wise, the amount of ships to be replaced is minimal. If you engage in wardecs, 0.0 fights, scouting and general corp operations, most of the corps have a replacement program and ships to borrow.

Not to mention that I'm a miner and I love mining. But there are many ways of getting isk: http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Or you can earn enough in-game isk to play for free with PLEX.

And unless you are already in one of the corps that hangs out in Null Sec, if you ever try to leave High Sec space and actually do something fun/risky you're going to get locked down and podded as soon as you get on the other side of the gate.

False.

So yeah, unless you -

False. 

or

B) have the patience to totally and completely suck in every way at everything for 6-9 months before you can start having fun.

False.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

So yeah, unless you -

or

That's partially right. If you want to get into the nullsec/hardcore action, then yes, it will take some time and training. But Nullsec, it only part of the game. There are tons of highsec corps for pve, pvp, and industry. Recruitment to corp for the most part is like every other game. There is a channel where corps are ever constantly advertising. I joined a corp, which I had no personal ties to, which had a null sec and an highsec division. They pretty much coached me up until I was ready to enter the null. 

My suggestion, unless like every other unhappy camper, is to not race to the battleship. If you max out a frigate in skills, in the same timeframe, you can cause serious havoc to a person who raced to fly a battleship with no supporting skills. IMO frigate fighting is alot more fun than battleship ganging.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

If you need an isk donation, then this isn't the game for you. Also, weren't you only going to be playing this temporarily? Having a million threads all over the place while LFG makes it hard to give you proper advice.

As for the corp suggestion, I'd **highly** recommend you find one on your own. Not because I'm saying you are lazy or anything, but because finding the right corp is in my opinion key to enjoying the game. The question, "What corp is right for me?" will have a different answer for everyone, which is why I think each individual person should try to find it on their own.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

So yeah, unless you -

or

All very bad advice in this quoted post. I would not listen to it at all.  

You can find a great corp at any stage in the game. Every corp has their own requirements. Look long and hard and you will find one. You don't have to be a 0.0 drone.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

I played for like 3 months earlier this year. And its all very confusing and overwhelming as a new player, but I highly recommend doing ALL the tutorials including the career tutorials, it will get you going with all your ships/skills to start out. Finding a corp wasn't hard and highly recommended, I saw a few advertising in the newbie chat channel and signed up with them. They were very helpful and showed me how to plan my skills appropriately for what I needed to do. I don't think I ever was given ISK directly, but they had me tag along in L4 missions giving me a share of the ISK and letting me salvage for money.

The hardest part about starting in EVE for me was finding what I wanted to do. I wanted to do exploration, but found it frustrating as a starting player and either the spots I found were useless or incredibly difficult to take on my own. But your corp can help you make decisions on what you want to do, always need some way to make ISK though. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Tutorials and mission arc gives you plenty of ships and isk.

I just started and am still solo after 3 weeks, I might join university in a month, but I enjoy finding stuff out on my own
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Exact same for me as refminor, I'm enjoying working through the game and learning, intend to join a Corp at some point, but too busy getting my new shiner cruiser into a working state :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

^^ forgot to say, working on epic arc too.

It can appear overwhelming to start, but I found the best way to manage it all was to use the ingame notebook to keeep notes of things to research, and researched a new thing every day.   I set some long term goals on my notes along with any key words.  Eg, my early notes (messy but you get the idea):

notes to myself in game:

FIRST GOAL Want to do level 2 missions and exploring:

How do i find agents, use map search, people and places

What corp do i want to do mission for :  Look at rewards and google recomendations

What ship do I want : caracel

What fittings do i need - google

What skills do i need for the fittings - see recommended skills on ship. caracel is missile based.  Push the probe skills to make it more fun.

What missles do what:

Created a second note listing missle dmg types for reference, along with pasted in list of what mobs are resistant to what dmg

4 missile types

EMP dmg

Explosive

Kinetic (gets dhip bonus)

Thermal

NEXT GOAL- level 4 mission + earn enough to buy plex.

NCR ship, fancy Nightmare for beam weapons..

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Downloading client now, someone was kind enough to email me a 21 day key :)

Anyways, so is this game fun or is it taking way too seriously?

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

It is taken way too seriously. As evidenced by BadSpock's post. There is plenty of fun stuff to do and plenty of Corps allow noobs. There is safety in numbers and (though more in highly skilled and experienced number to be sure) and some corps will take anyone. Also some just treat the game as a game and don't care if they loose. I was in a tiny corp that mostly went around looking for other people fighting so we could salvage their stuff for a while. That was the most fun ever, but sure I got podded a few times. Still made a profit.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• drarakkusdrarakkus Member Posts: 97

double post my bad :(

• drarakkusdrarakkus Member Posts: 97

Lashley i see i sent you an inivte off your original post in the key discussion, please feel free to message me in game once  you have it loaded and have accepted the invite.  I will work to set you up with eve uni.  I spent my first 6-8 months there and found them to be a great help for new players joining the game. 

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

I played EvE for 3 months with friends and no amount of people can take away the feeling of homesickness....space is such a lonely place.

My point is, it's not for everyone.

Ready for GW2!!!
  • ChramChram Member Posts: 91

I hopped into nullsec with a character about a month old and barely able to fly a battlecruiser. I made myself useful and never looked back. Its doable, eve is what you make of it really. But that aside, joining a good corp is essential, you wont receive a better advice here. Chill out in high sec for some (preferably short ;) time and see what parts of the game you like, then decide what you want to do in New Eden.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Because there are no other ways to make ISK in EVE, right? 

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by drarakkus

Lashley i see i sent you an inivte off your original post in the key discussion, please feel free to message me in game once  you have it loaded and have accepted the invite.  I will work to set you up with eve uni.  I spent my first 6-8 months there and found them to be a great help for new players joining the game. 

Will do mate, thanks :)

drara, whats your name in-game?

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Main thing to remember in this game is to find a good corp.  If you're not happy with your current corp, find a new one.  There are so many corps in-game that you can find one for every style of play.  Also, don't confine yourself to just one style of play.  Explore your options.. trade, pve, pvp, high-sec, low-sec, 0.0 warfare, wormholes.  There's so much to do, it can be a bit overwhelming and you just won't know WHAT to do.  Finding a good corp will help with this.

And don't listen to the people who say you need X amount of SP to get into a good corp.  I got into a good (veteran) 0.0 corp with barely 4mil SP, and they were a group of people who REALLY knew the game, and the corp had been around for about 3-4 years.  You just have to look in the right places, and be genuine about what you want to get out of the game.