Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does a game like Wildstar that has good gameplay and PVP equal instant sucess?

eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Kinda feel weird posting this but what ever, its a thought so I will for kicks. 

Was watching and reading Wildstar and there new gameplay video and I got to thinking.  This is one of those games that caters to the masses like WOW did with its arena style like battlegrounds and its easy to maneuver gameplay.   Its got that something you cant really explain, something more then alot of other games.  Does anyone know what im talking about and can maybee explain it better?   Its just what games that were similar to this made by a developer as known as ncsoft had a failure, how can this fail?

Comments

• GameDevJakeGameDevJake Member Posts: 27

I understand what youre getting at bud!

I think any new MMO will be created with the thought in mind to be able to reach as many computers as possible. For money reasons, sure, but also for community reasons. 

Devs want a a full-fledged community to unleash their game upon, not just the QA guys they house downstairs. WoW was so successful because it offered alot of opportunity to alot of people, and of course that aspect of things will be mimicked. It will always be mimicked. Because everybody wants that.

The resounding call from Gamescom and PAX by the people at Carbine is that they want players to play how they want to play. And offering as many things to do as possible enables that.

Regarding NCSoft, they are just a publisher. All the MMOs they own, have different flares and success, because different studios made them. Just name of the game. But I see alot of potential from WildStar and Carbine.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

No, I think other things come into play such as the IP (I know very little of the WildStar world, and at first glance looks slightly immature; though that is based entirely on the game's appearance), graphical style, and story line have parts to play. A proven game develepor helps too. I'm fairly certain many people are wary of Cryptic after their recent releases.

Make it so...

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

No, I think other things come into play such as the IP (I know very little of the WildStar world, and at first glance looks slightly immature; though that is based entirely on the game's appearance), graphical style, and story line have parts to play. A proven game develepor helps too. I'm fairly certain many people are wary of Cryptic after their recent releases.

Of course IP, Art Style, and Story have their places, I was just giving a good explanation for why WildStar seems to be being built for all kinds of gamers. Thats what the OP was after.

Regarding developer, Cryptic has nothing to do with WildStar at all, because WildStar is being developed by Carbine Studios. Cryptic hasnt had good press since City of Heroes/City of Villains, for sure, but that wont reflect on Carbine at all, even though Cryptic was owned by  the same publisher as Carbine until just last month.

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Originally posted by GameDevJake

Regarding developer, Cryptic has nothing to do with WildStar at all, because WildStar is being developed by Carbine Studios. Cryptic hasnt had good press since City of Heroes/City of Villains, for sure, but that wont reflect on Carbine at all, even though Cryptic was owned by  the same publisher as Carbine until just last month.

I have to correct you there - Cryptic has not been associated with NCsoft for years. NCsoft bought City of Heroes from Cryptic in 2007 and the CoH Devs jumped ship from Cryptic and formed Paragon Studios.

Cryptic Studios was bought by Atari in 2008 and was recently purchased from Atari by Perfect World Co.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Studios

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Cryptic_Studios

Please, do not associate the recent success/failures of Cryptic with NCsoft, they no longer have any direct working relationship, and haven't for four years or so.

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Originally posted by eycel

Was watching and reading Wildstar and there new gameplay video and I got to thinking.  This is one of those games that caters to the masses like WOW did with its arena style like battlegrounds and its easy to maneuver gameplay.   Its got that something you cant really explain, something more then alot of other games.  Does anyone know what im talking about and can maybee explain it better?   Its just what games that were similar to this made by a developer as known as ncsoft had a failure, how can this fail?

Carbine has already stated Wildstar aims at the hardcore.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/17/carbine-announces-wildstar-aims-at-mmo-reinvention/

"Super-rich cartoon-styled MMO aimed at the hardcore."

I've seen a few gameplay videos and it looks pretty good, and if it really is aimed at hardcore players there's zero chance to have anything in common with WoW (at least todays WoW). What they mean by 'hardcore' is totally another thing, but I hope it means something like 'challenging, no hand-holding, complex, etc.', basically everything you can't say about WoW.

Originally posted by Zap-Robo

Originally posted by GameDevJake

I have to correct you there - Cryptic has not been associated with NCsoft for years. NCsoft bought City of Heroes from Cryptic in 2007 and the CoH Devs jumped ship from Cryptic and formed Paragon Studios.

Cryptic Studios was bought by Atari in 2008 and was recently purchased from Atari by Perfect World Co.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Studios

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Cryptic_Studios

Please, do not associate the recent success/failures of Cryptic with NCsoft, they no longer have any direct working relationship, and haven't for four years or so.

Yea, i know that, just misspoke. Realized it after typing, but didnt feel need to edit.

But main point still stands: Cryptic does not = NCSoft does not = Carbine

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Instant Succes ? not a chance, infact wildstar might have more to prove then a other mmo due to the fact it will go after the "hardcore" crowd whit cartoon/anime art style.

the game looks to be a fun action based mmo that you typical see on console single player games but what is this "hardcore" they are after.. we also only seen the starting zone sofar and two out of four gameplay paths (explorer and combat) science and the social path is unknown.

sofar its a console action game in a multiplayer world were each follow their own story, and frankly sofar theres nothing new about the mechanics used in the game ( well its a bit more action console type gameplay whit a double jump function)

Im sure they will have more to show in time, lets hope the otehr paths or later gameplay will bring more "hardcore" to the game..

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Not without marketing.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

I think it depends a lot on the payment model. The game looks decent, but not overly impressive. If they charge a sub I think they will have a very hard time. If they go with ftp or btp they could easily get a large population.

• IchirokuIchiroku Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by Leonona

I think it depends a lot on the payment model. The game looks decent, but not overly impressive. If they charge a sub I think they will have a very hard time. If they go with ftp or btp they could easily get a large population.

that's not entirely true. as someone already said, the game aims for hardcore players. hardcore players like balanced games, and the ftp is not based on balancing and instead focusses on bringing the paying players an advantage.

I'd love to see a sub model, because it really balances a game where everyone paying the sub is supposedly able to get the same (with a difference to stuff like costumes or whatever / pets that can be sold for additional payments, but that doesn't destroy the balance).

I've played the game on Gamescom, and it really took my breath with the gameplay and graphics. Yes, I love cartoonish graphics. Combine it with great gameplay with easy movability and smooth combat and you got my attention.

If this game is going to have a submodel, it will have 1 extra subber ;)

Sem.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Why don't we just wait for it's release, see what happens, and THEN discuss it?  We'll certainly have a lot more concrete results to observe then, right?  Because right now....we don't know much more than the very few videos we have and a nice nod from PAX.  Just seems too early to analyze success or failure, ya know?

EDIT:

Personally, I really like what I see with this game so far. I'm intrigued.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by just1opinion

Why don't we just wait for it's release, see what happens, and THEN discuss it?  We'll certainly have a lot more concrete results to observe then, right?  Because right now....we don't know much more than the very few videos we have and a nice nod from PAX.  Just seems too early to analyze success or failure, ya know?

EDIT:

Personally, I really like what I see with this game so far. I'm intrigued.

well some of the original world of warcraft creators at carbine studios and you can see it on artwork and everywhere.

personally as i loan the word i signed up for the beta.