Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Troubleshooting my newly built computer

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

YESSSS I GOT IT IM SO HAPPY

quick things to note, i was wrong about the heatsink being glued solid. apparently its the mount that i screwed into the backplate that was keeping it from moving, i accidentally touched some of the paste and it was all gooey, i may or may not take the heatsink off and clean it up and reapply a small helping of thermal paste. it was REALLY hard to get those screws in the first place on the mount and i'd not like a repeat of that if i can help it.

also i think the major issue i was having was in the boot menu there was 2 different areas my dvd drive was showing up. 1 was just the basic cd/dvd drive and it listed my drive's name etcetc. the other was the UEFI area, and that had 2 choices, 1st boot in that was something like....built in UEFI drive or w/e, the 2nd boot was again my dvd drive that listed it by name. what i ended up doing was making sure the 1st boot within that option was my dvd drive. then i chose that option to be the first bootable device in the whole list. and low and behold it worked.

i think i was trying to load the burner part of the drive and not the readable part? i dont even know if thats possible or not, probably not. the only other thing i did in between was remove 1 ram stick, cleaned just a tiny(and i do mean tiny bit, its just the bit that got strung out when finger touched it) bit of the thermal paste off the side of the processor, unplugged both my ssd and hdd and the changes to the bios and thats it.

after it worked the first time, i put in the 2nd ram stick, and plugged the ssd/hdd back up and it still worked. so i think it was just that change in the bios options. but i want to thank everyone thats supplied me with possible reasons on why it wasn't working and helped me through this, i may have a couple more questions to ask after awhile im sure but i'm just to happy right now that its actually installing W7 right now. (typing on another computer in the house)

again, huge thanks to everyone that helped me troubleshoot this and of course a big thanks to those who helped me pick out the parts.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Sephiroso

YESSSS I GOT IT IM SO HAPPY

quick things to note, i was wrong about the heatsink being glued solid. apparently its the mount that i screwed into the backplate that was keeping it from moving, i accidentally touched some of the paste and it was all gooey, i may or may not take the heatsink off and clean it up and reapply a small helping of thermal paste. it was REALLY hard to get those screws in the first place on the mount and i'd not like a repeat of that if i can help it.

You get used to it after doing it a few times, but it is not the smartest system.

It is at least better than AMDs old one which had you use a screwdriver in a way I always were afraid to accidently kill the motherboard with. Never did though...

Keep an eye on the core temperature for the first few days, if it goes high you need to replace the cooling paste.

okay..ran into another issue, one that i thought would be one of the easiest. connecting to the internet.

i keep getting an error 651, and i think its also saying windows isn't detecting any drivers for my network adapter.

i think thats why its unable to connect to my dsl. how/where do i get the drivers for the network adapter?

i tried using the cd my motherboard came with but i didnt see anything that was called anything like a network adapter, it showed 2 things under the internet subsection, but niether was a 'network adapter driver'.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

okay..ran into another issue, one that i thought would be one of the easiest. connecting to the internet.
    i keep getting an error 651, and i think its also saying windows isn't detecting any drivers for my network adapter.
    i think thats why its unable to connect to my dsl. how/where do i get the drivers for the network adapter?
    i tried using the cd my motherboard came with but i didnt see anything that was called anything like a network adapter, it showed 2 things under the internet subsection, but niether was a 'network adapter driver'.

Should be on the mobo cd in the drivers sections.. anything Realtek. If you can't find it on there grab the network driver from ASUS website and put it on USB.

Originally posted by noquarter

Should be on the mobo cd in the drivers sections.. anything Realtek. If you can't find it on there grab the network driver from ASUS website and put it on USB.

i went to the asus website and found the network adaptor drivers download screen but how do i know which network adaptor that i have? it lists 5 diffeent ones

oh wait, i see now, a network adaptor is something that you have to buy? i thought my motherboard had one already...when i dl'd the pci-e network controller from the msi(my motherboard brand) website, and installed it(transferred it with a usb) it started searching for a network adaptor or controller or something, and came up with an error saying it could not be found.

so does this mean i have to go out and buy a different network adaptor? or is there something im missing

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

i went to the asus website and found the network adaptor drivers download screen but how do i know which network adaptor that i have? it lists 5 diffeent ones

oh wait, i see now, a network adaptor is something that you have to buy? i thought my motherboard had one already...when i dl'd the pci-e network controller from the msi(my motherboard brand) website, and installed it(transferred it with a usb) it started searching for a network adaptor or controller or something, and came up with an error saying it could not be found.

so does this mean i have to go out and buy a different network adaptor? or is there something im missing

hope you can read that better.  they wouldnt put the driver on the mobo CD if it wasnt the network chip ON the mobo:D  you dont need to buy something that's already soldered onto the mobo.

PS. mobo = short for motherboard

• gravitzgravitz Member UncommonPosts: 14

You don't need anything seperate for network, most like is a driver issue. Search that mobo disc for anything related to network, realtek (as the other guy said) , LAN, hmm...those are the ones that usually come up.

or lets see... I didn't catch which version of windows your putting, so heres the main site. select your OS

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD55--B3-.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7%2032

Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers   . if that's not the one you got, try that. Also make sure you run that drivers disc you got with the board, or download all latest ones from the website there. You want to make sure all that is up to date. Also you could check your bios to see if your onboard LAN, or ethernet, is enabled...it should be by default.

As far as your distorted video I'll say this. I use a 26 inch tv as a monitor and its resolutions blow, LOL. Sure things look great big, but i can't use a good resolution that make things sharp. I'd rather have a 22'' computer monitor than this anymore. So things look funky. 

Try those out, i'll try to check back sometime tomorrow.

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

DING! 100th Post...

The best way to build a computer is to seek out and list the biggest, baddest, and best components. Then purchase from reputable dealers that offer support. It takes a bit of experience to know whether or not any component is going to match the driver sets that any OS offers. Therefore, stay in the middle of the road to avoid incompatible devices without software.

SAFEMODE installation is also an option if you just cant figue out what the heck is going on.

Today's OSs are simple and easy to plug and play. You just need to get the best product with the biggest deal so you'll end up with the baddest system you can afford.

Good Luck!!!

ps... watch out for power consumption/needs(Power Supply).

A typical add-on video card may require 100-250 Watts of addition Power Supply. Use this simple formula to decide:

System=300-350WATTS

Video=100-250WATTS

Future Expansion=100-150WATTS

650-850 WATTS = A decent Power ready system.

Ataaka

-because PVP isn't all I think of (Boom! Headshot).

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

What type of network are you trying to use?  Most motherboards have a gigabit ethernet port, and that should be plug and play.  Though even that won't work if you forget to plug in the ethernet cable.  If you're using a wireless network, then that gets more complicated.

Here is an entire helpful webbpage  to the problem: http://www.pcerrorsfix.com/fix-error-651

As for which driver you need your motherboard manual will tell you that, and the driver is on your driver CD.

Originally posted by Quizzical

What type of network are you trying to use?  Most motherboards have a gigabit ethernet port, and that should be plug and play.  Though even that won't work if you forget to plug in the ethernet cable.  If you're using a wireless network, then that gets more complicated.

Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers was the drivers i downloaded from that site and it still didnt seem to work. i'll try checking the bios to make sure i didnt accidentally disable the eternet port. im using an ethernet cord to connect to the internet if thats what you meant by what type of network i was trying to use, so im a wired connection not wireless.

oh yea, and im doing this all for windows 7 home premium OS

although i downloaded the realtek pci-e ethernet drivers i didnt download any of the others(from that site) i downloaded them off the cd, but i'll try downloading the ones off the site since they're likely to be more updated versions.

also as far as the gfx issue, i think its a driver issue. because when i tried to go and change the resolution, it didn't show my gfx card information, it just showed i believe the onboard gfx and i couldnt even change the resolution at all, its something retardedly small like 680x660 or something close to that. im gonna try to download some actual drivers for my gfx card and hopefully that will fix the graphics distortion.

edit: hmm, does anyone else have any input on if that fix will work? to take a copy of the RASPPPOE.sys from vista and renaming the same file and pasting that in my systems32/drivers folder(in windows 7) will work?

also as far as the gfx issue, i think its a driver issue. because when i tried to go and change the resolution, it didn't show my gfx card information, it just showed i believe the onboard gfx and i couldnt even change the resolution at all, its something retardedly small like 680x660 or something close to that. im gonna try to download some actual drivers for my gfx card and hopefully that will fix the graphics distortion.

That sounds like you just haven't installed real video drivers yet.  Windows has some generic video drivers that won't run a lot of games, but will work well enough to let you go download the real drivers.  Go to either the AMD or Nvidia web site, depending on what card you have, and there will be a link from the home page to the drivers you need.

If you're using onboard graphics, then you probably plugged the monitor into the onboard graphics, rather than the video card.  The monitor will use whatever graphics it is plugged into.

Actually, now that I check the other thread, it looks like you've got a P67 motherboard, which disables the onboard graphics, so your discrete card is the only option.  You probably just need the right video drivers to make that work.

It's possible to disable the ethernet port through the BIOS, but it would be a strange thing to accidentally do.

Actually, now that I check the other thread, it looks like you've got a P67 motherboard, which disables the onboard graphics, so your discrete card is the only option.  You probably just need the right video drivers to make that work.

It's possible to disable the ethernet port through the BIOS, but it would be a strange thing to accidentally do.

if i've downloaded the correct drivers and if i didnt disable the ethernet, then is this error 651 fix my only hope? to get a copy of RASPPPOE.sys from vista and copy it into my sys32/drivers folder after renaming original file?

and speaking of correct drivers, i got the ones from the msi website, but am i supposed to be getting the ones from the realtek website instead? i see they had a place to download LAN drivers as well and i looked on the side of my mobo box and it says under LAN 10/100/1000 Mbits/sec LAN subsystem, so should i d/l these drivers as well

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#1

and its the 'Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1462014)'

or do i need only the one from the msi website.

if i've downloaded the correct drivers and if i didnt disable the ethernet, then is this error 651 fix my only hope? to get a copy of RASPPPOE.sys from vista and copy it into my sys32/drivers folder after renaming original file?

and speaking of correct drivers, i got the ones from the msi website, but am i supposed to be getting the ones from the realtek website instead? i see they had a place to download LAN drivers as well and i looked on the side of my mobo box and it says under LAN 10/100/1000 Mbits/sec LAN subsystem, so should i d/l these drivers as well

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#1

and its the 'Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1462014)'

your motherboard CAME with a CD that include ALL of the drivers you need to get started... stop downloading ANYTHING and install the driver from the CD that CAME with the motherboard....   this way you KNOW you are getting the right driver...  it may not be the most up to date driver, but network drivers rarely need updating....   it usually either works, or it doesn't

as far as raspppoe.sys it actually stands for "Remote Access Service Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet.SYStem" file which is a network protocol driver that comes with windows... any and all ethernet card could use that driver, not just the one in your system.   if i remember my networking protorols correctly, the ethernet card driver is a different layer of driver.

Originally posted by psyclum

your motherboard CAME with a CD that include ALL of the drivers you need to get started... stop downloading ANYTHING and install the driver from the CD that CAME with the motherboard....   this way you KNOW you are getting the right driver...  it may not be the most up to date driver, but network drivers rarely need updating....   it usually either works, or it doesn't

as far as raspppoe.sys it actually stands for "Remote Access Service Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet.SYStem" file which is a network protocol driver that comes with windows... any and all ethernet card could use that driver, not just the one in your system.   if i remember my networking protorols correctly, the ethernet card driver is a different layer of driver.

i've already downloaded everything that from the cd that came with my motherboard, thats the thing.

i've already downloaded everything that from the cd that came with my motherboard, thats the thing.

not entirely sure what you mean by "downloaded".   did you "copy" the cd onto your machine? or did you "install" the stuff in the CD into your system?

either way.  click on the windows button on the lower left side of the screen and on the "search programs and files" field type in devmgmt.msc and bring up the device manager.  on the device manager, you should see some yellow exclamation mark under the network adapters.  double click on the one with the yellow exclamation mark and go to the driver tab.   under the driver tab, there should be an uninstall button.   hit that so you uninstall the wrong driver that you might have installed.  then ok out of everything.   then put your motherboard CD into the machine and it should pull up a window with something like install drivers on there.  hit that and check everything in the options.   then run it.   let it reboot the machine after it finish and you SHOULD have your network driver installed.

If you right click on "my computer" and choose preferances and then go in to the part showing all your hardware, does it say something where your LAN card is? You could go in there and install the drivers manually...

Originally posted by psyclum

not entirely sure what you mean by "downloaded".   did you "copy" the cd onto your machine? or did you "install" the stuff in the CD into your system?

either way.  click on the windows button on the lower left side of the screen and on the "search programs and files" field type in devmgmt.msc and bring up the device manager.  on the device manager, you should see some yellow exclamation mark under the network adapters.  double click on the one with the yellow exclamation mark and go to the driver tab.   under the driver tab, there should be an uninstall button.   hit that so you uninstall the wrong driver that you might have installed.  then ok out of everything.   then put your motherboard CD into the machine and it should pull up a window with something like install drivers on there.  hit that and check everything in the options.   then run it.   let it reboot the machine after it finish and you SHOULD have your network driver installed.

used the wrong term, i meant installed everything from the cd. one thing to note however, when i did put the mobo CD in. the 'LAN' button to download drivers for a LAN connection is unclickable. The only ones i could download drivers for from the mobo cd was the "Chipset drivers" "Audio drivers" "Other drivers",  Lan, Storage, VGA drivers were all unclickable and thus unable for me to download them at all.

When i go to device manager, i don't see 'Network adapters' at all. Not even the suboption for it. However when i go to View> Show hidden devices. Network Adapters shows up but it lists 8 different WAN Miniports All with different things listed in parenthesis to the side, like (IKEv2) (IP) (IPv6) (PPPoE) (Network Monitor) and a couple others. I'm guessing none of those are what should be listed there. Thats why i asked a couple pages back if i had to buy a network adapter cause at first i didn't see it listed there at all.

Just as an after-thought, is it possible i missed a connection to the motherboard that makes the computer recognize it has a network adapter installed on the mobo? Maybe thats why i'm unable to even attempt to download drivers for the LAN.

• RykerRyker Member UncommonPosts: 207

If your having internet connection issues, you should plug your computer straight in to the modem via a cable and work on it that way. That way you know your not having a wireless or router problem. Maybe go into network connections with the cable unplugged and look, then plug it in and see if anything changes so you know what your working with. I had a switch instead of a router which gave me a headache once when I was trying to hook more than 1 pc to internet.

Originally posted by Ryker

If your having internet connection issues, you should plug your computer straight in to the modem via a cable and work on it that way. That way you know your not having a wireless or router problem. Maybe go into network connections with the cable unplugged and look, then plug it in and see if anything changes so you know what your working with. I had a switch instead of a router which gave me a headache once when I was trying to hook more than 1 pc to internet.

i have u-verse for phone/tv/internet and they gave me a small little thing that connects a coaxial cable from wall to itself and also the ethernet port from my computer to itself. so my computer is directly connected, i dont have a wireless capability to my knowledge at all to interfere with.

i noticed when i plug the ethernet cable into my pc however that the 2 led lights on the side of the port aren't lighting up at all to even recognize that its registering anything. its like the ethernet port is just dead. thats why i was wondering if maybe there was some step i missed on the mobo and that you have to connect something to something on the mobo so the ethernet port/LAN will work?

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I take it you've already done the idiot check and checked the ethernet cable?

I'm ashamed to say that just this past week I spent two days troubleshooting an industrial PC only to find out it was the ethernet cable.

Ethernet lights should light up regardless of drivers, which is why I ask.

Originally posted by Ridelynn

I take it you've already done the idiot check and checked the ethernet cable?

I'm ashamed to say that just this past week I spent two days troubleshooting an industrial PC only to find out it was the ethernet cable.

Ethernet lights should light up regardless of drivers, which is why I ask.

when i switch to my other computer the ethernet cable works just fine as i'm able to connect to the internet without any issues at all, so the cable is fine. i'm at a loss of what the issue is.

i'm curious why i can't even download any LAN drivers from the mobo cd at all, i think thats part of the root problem, or at least a evidence that its hardware related if i understand right.

kinda thinking about throwing in the towel and just taking it to microcenter and paying them 70 bucks to configure everything correctly if i'm just doing something wrong. really dont want to do that but i'm running out of options

When I've built computers, ethernet has been plug and play.  Windows has some drivers built in that work.  Maybe you have a different ethernet chip built into the motherboard, but gigabit ethernet has been around for long enough that I wouldn't think there would be too many of those that are commonly used on motherboards.

used the wrong term, i meant installed everything from the cd. one thing to note however, when i did put the mobo CD in. the 'LAN' button to download drivers for a LAN connection is unclickable. The only ones i could download drivers for from the mobo cd was the "Chipset drivers" "Audio drivers" "Other drivers",  Lan, Storage, VGA drivers were all unclickable and thus unable for me to download them at all.

fairly important information here:)  if the lan button to install the driver is grayed out(unclickable), that means the OS doesn't even see the onboard LAN chip.  it can't/won't install a driver on none existing hardware.

When i go to device manager, i don't see 'Network adapters' at all. Not even the suboption for it. However when i go to View> Show hidden devices. Network Adapters shows up but it lists 8 different WAN Miniports All with different things listed in parenthesis to the side, like (IKEv2) (IP) (IPv6) (PPPoE) (Network Monitor) and a couple others. I'm guessing none of those are what should be listed there. Thats why i asked a couple pages back if i had to buy a network adapter cause at first i didn't see it listed there at all.

you may have accidentally disabled your onboard LAN in your bios?  it's unlikely, but it's something to check.  there IS a possibility that the mobo itself is defective? it's unusual, but possible. if the OS doesnt see the onboard LAN at all after you checked the bios and make sure it's enabled, then the motherboard itself is defective and need to be RMA'ed.  you CAN go and buy a premium NIC(network interface card), but why waste $ on something that should have been part of the motherboard.  it will also cost you one of your expansion slots which MAY cost you your SLi/Xfire ability. 

Just as an after-thought, is it possible i missed a connection to the motherboard that makes the computer recognize it has a network adapter installed on the mobo? Maybe thats why i'm unable to even attempt to download drivers for the LAN.

modern motherboards dont use jumpers much so i seriously doubt it's a connection issue.  pretty much everything is done through bios these days.