Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are people allowed to use 1 liners and call it a "review"

zoddenzodden Member UncommonPosts: 80

Iam going to come right out and say it..The review and ratings system on this site are totally screwed up. I can not even begin to count the reviews that say only: "Teh game Suks" along with ratings that are all 1's across the board. Strange that many of these posts are from brand new members. I list some examples below. How are they supposed to be helpful?

Lets use Everquest 2 and WoW as an example:

Ultimately, un-fun

EQ2 es the SUXORZ

great game, but it's not for everyone

well, i don't know what to say about it,hehe all i know is that could've beenbetter

great game

Well, World of Warcraft box is still selling for $50 a copy, and EQ2 box (both CD & DVD) are now selling for the bargain-bin price of $20 ! ! ! Game Over. Winner - World of Warcraft. Even now, EQ2 is becoming 'World of EQ 2 Warcraft'.

Not bad... Played a year and now closed my account

Great Game, loved it while it lasted

This game stinks, SOE is loosing money with it that's why they need to raise the fee of EQ1 to compensate

this is the best MMO i ever played

How about some examples fromWorld of Warcraft...

BEST GAME EVER!

This is probably my favourite MMO by far!

...your just dumb if you play this. What else is there to say?

Worst Game Ever!

Why does this game get such a high rating?

BAH

Sad to say I didnt even have to go backmore then a few days to read all the idiots posting their "review" of WoW. So these are actual reviews (lol)  There are well over 100 total of these out of the 978 reviews in EQ2. Probably close to 20% overall and with WoW the percent is even higher as I had to go back far fewer days total to count the idiots and their postings. Can anybody tell me by reading the examples I listed what they learned about EQ2 or WoW at all?

There is a solution to this. First off any review that does not explain WHY the person liked or disliked the game should be deleted and 2nd there should be a minimum word limit. Next nobody with less then 5-10 posts who has not been a member for at least 10 days should be able to review anything. This would stop the kiddies who come here and reg just to be a fanboi or bash another game. Some people like to edit their reviews every few days so they can be at the top again with their one liners. Why not make it alot longer then 2 days between when you can edit a review?

Lastly there should be a minimum word limit to the reviews. No more "Teh suxors" reviews.....

Comments

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

Was that really needed? The Greenish colours? I can hardly read it image
    Anyways what is your problem with one liners? Everybody should have a chance rating a game right?
    Some people don't give any comments, some give huge comments, which is better ofcourse but not obligatorily right?

• XavonXavon Member Posts: 334

What a stupid thread.

• CroeCroe Member Posts: 194

Well chief if i see that 100 ppl thought that it sucked i might think twice before getting it or wait for a free trail. No one wants to waste money and i personally like the one liners better cause i dont gatta sit there and read it i like things to be to the point so that when i do see it or play it i can say "ahhh those guys were right... or ahh i see were they would say that now" if i wanted real ratings and over blown reviews id be on some other site like gamespot or somthin. Its not like your gonna stop all one lined reviews by the post chief ppl are still gonna do it regaurdless of if its right or not. And all you guys out there that give teh suck rating and low numbers thanx guys kept me out of some games that i myself wouldnt like. yea sure ive though hey well maybe alot of ppl are just spaming negitve reviews but hell man alot of the reviews i read are right one liner or not i guess ppl play it then come and rate it if they can sum that up in one word and suxxors is it well crap that tells me alot right there.
    p.s. i dont write reviews so youl never see my one liners but i read alot of em when deciding what game to play

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Your confusing people's comments with the rating system.

You cant actually see what the detailed numbers people gave a game when they rated it, only the overall average.

If people choose to make limited comments thats ultimately up to them. Intelligent readers will make their own judgements...

As Ali G would say.... "sshhh.... relax me batty boy"

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• XanothXanoth Member UncommonPosts: 116
    making a minimum word count will jsut see those of limited IQ that make such "teh sux0r" posts making good use of their extra brain cel's... the copy and paste ones...
    o/
  • zoddenzodden Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by TheWarc

Was that really needed? The Greenish colours? I can hardly read it image
    Anyways what is your problem with one liners? Everybody should have a chance rating a game right?
    Some people don't give any comments, some give huge comments, which is better ofcourse but not obligatorily right?

Sure but what I am getting at is people who are just trying to inflate the numbers..They are not trying to really do a review at all just to be a "fanboi"

If there was some resictrictions on the reviews and how people do them it would limit this stuff. If the person coming to just inflate one game's rating had to do any kind of work like even making a review as long as this sentance many may not do it.

• zoddenzodden Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by Xavon

What a stupid thread.

You must be a real brain surgeon pal, why not go drown yourself
  • darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Here's what I don't understand...where do you get the impression that the user comments in the ratings sections are 'reviews'?

The only thing the ratings area is for is giving a certain game a rating (in which many people give a game a 1 or a 10, admittedly), with the option to put down a comment as well.

They are comments. Not reviews. I don't understand why you think they should be held up to some review standard when they are not reviews.

Originally posted by zodden

Originally posted by Xavon

What a stupid thread.

You must be a real brain surgeon pal, why not go drown yourself

Oh, and I have to add...telling someone to drown themselves just because they don't like your thread? Who's really the 'brain surgeon'?

Temper temper...

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by darquenblade
    Here's what I don't understand...where do you get the impression that the user comments in the ratings sections are 'reviews'?
    The only thing the ratings area is for is giving a certain game a rating (in which many people give a game a 1 or a 10, admittedly), with the option to put down a comment as well.
    They are comments. Not reviews. I don't understand why you think they should be held up to some review standard when they are not reviews.

Oh em gee. I wonder why he thinks they are reviews... maybe because the button says REVIEW THIS GAME?

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Bah!

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by Xzaro

Originally posted by darquenblade

Oh em gee. I wonder why he thinks they are reviews... maybe because the button says REVIEW THIS GAME?

Well, you got me there. I hadn't rated a game in a while, and was going off of memory. The reason I called them comments was because at the top of the list where everyone puts their 2 cents it says 'Member Comments'.
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

He's right.

People come here off the street (internet) and read that first page that says Guild Wars is the best MMORPG or at least the highest rated. Those people might think this is the people that work for the company that gave out these ratings. It's a tad misleading to put them on the first page without some sort of disclaimer.

How about something like "These ratings were done by some bedwetter as he was eating his Corn Pops"

I think that would be fairimage

But seriously, I love Guild Wars it's an amazing value. But to be the top rated MMORPG at MMORPG.com? The lunatics are running the asylum here.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Well any of this is only relevant if you agree with the following propositions :

1. Your opinion is the only valid one
    2. Peoples reviews are something more than opinion
    3. No one except you has the right to post their opinion
    4. No one except you is capable of forming a comeptent opinion

I have no doubt the OP agrees with all those propositions.

Fortunately the Staff of MMORPG dont.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• geldgeld Member Posts: 129

Can anybody tell me by reading the examples I listed what they learned about EQ2 or WoW at all?

I can, I learnt what level of maturity these games appeal to/are targetted at.

*Signature*The Pessimist says the cup is half empty. The Optimist says the cup is half full. The Pragmatist says the cup is half full of air. The Engineer says the cup is operating at 50% capacity. The Psychologist says the cup is your mother. The Punk Kid also says the cup is your mother. The Cricket Player says his cup is definately full. Everyone knows that Pamela Andersons cups are full. The Defendant says it was like that when he found it. Me, I just ask the waitress for a refill.