Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still worth getting into?

HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123

I haven't played EVE in like five years, but was considering coming back to kill some time before TOR launches (and, hey, who knows -- if TOR's as much of a WoW clone as it looks like it's shaping up to be, then I might not play it at all).

However, I was wondering: is EVE still worth getting into? IE, given how I recall the skill system working, is it almost pointless trying to get into the game now because experienced players have like 50 billion skill points and there's no hope of ever competing? I'm so unfamiliar with how the skills/ships/missions etc. work at this point that I wouldn't want to use my old character, and just start fresh (not that that would be some huge loss -- I seem to recall only playing for about 2 months back in the day). Also, is that first 1 million skill points of 'quick 2X learning' or whatever the heck that was still in effect? Or is it a slow slog from day 1 now?

I realize it's only $15 to give it a go, but given how tight money is these days, it's not something I can just do, you know? Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123

Some good reading there. Here's the one question I still have, though. With this, er, 'monoclegate,' how long-term viable do you believe the game to be? Or, rather, how much damage was done, or has the potential yet to be done, by this new microtransaction business? I have spent some signficiant time reading up on this, and while I definitely think that the leaked internal memo was way overboard, does the exodus of core members actually threaten to bring the reality to fruition as CCP attempts to compensate for lost dollars by implementing micro transaction hell? I read somewhere that CCP believes that if they keep upgrading the game/engine, that EVE could be viable for literally decades to come, but did one wrong-headed email wreck that?

• BhaynBhayn Member Posts: 11

Scandals such as 'monoclegate' are not unheard of in EVE. They've happened in the past and will probably happen in the future. None I'm aware of have had any long term effects on the game's population.

"It's not the ignorance of the people, it's that most of what they 'know', just ain't so" -Anonymous 19th century comic

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Humphrie

I haven't played EVE in like five years, but was considering coming back to kill some time before TOR launches (and, hey, who knows -- if TOR's as much of a WoW clone as it looks like it's shaping up to be, then I might not play it at all).

<>

I was going to recommend you play Eve even after TOR comes out, but you beat me to it. It's going to be super themepark with superly greased handrails...so it's a different game entirely, almost a different genre.

To answer your question about the monocle thing...Eve is going strong and will continue to go strong. That whole story was blown out of proportion and will not affect the longevity of the game. I would not let the monocle issue affect your decision of whether to play Eve.

• HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123

One last thing: should I pick a race based on what ships I would normally want to play, or appearances? I know the old answer used to generally be the former, but with Incarna placing an increased importance on appearance, is the latter now the case?

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Some good reading there. Here's the one question I still have, though. With this, er, 'monoclegate,' how long-term viable do you believe the game to be? Or, rather, how much damage was done, or has the potential yet to be done, by this new microtransaction business? I have spent some signficiant time reading up on this, and while I definitely think that the leaked internal memo was way overboard, does the exodus of core members actually threaten to bring the reality to fruition as CCP attempts to compensate for lost dollars by implementing micro transaction hell? I read somewhere that CCP believes that if they keep upgrading the game/engine, that EVE could be viable for literally decades to come, but did one wrong-headed email wreck that?

That's a very good question on a subject I have strong opinions on. I'll try and keep my answer as neutral as possible:

CCP have received the strongest message possible from their existing community about the consequences of going to a pay-to-win model. No MMO yet has ever survived the attempt to ditch its existing playerbase for a new one. CCP have given a comfortingly worded but ultimately ambiguous response to the community message. For now, the NEx is purely vanity and looks to stay that way for the immediate future, a result grudgingly accepted by most players. At the moment, the game carries on more or less normally.

I do not believe that CCP will risk going to a P2W model for EVE unless and until at least one of their other 2 game projects becomes a substantial success. (In the best case, CCP's normal Icelandic ADD will kick in and the NEx will follow the path of COSMOS missions, and be neglected for ever.). Success for World Of Darkness or Dust 514 is by no means assured.

So all things considered, my take is that even in the worst possible case, you have at least a 15 to 18-month window, which is plenty of time to have a lot of fun and for you to make up your own mind on the issues from first hand experience.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

One last thing: should I pick a race based on what ships I would normally want to play, or appearances? I know the old answer used to generally be the former, but with Incarna placing an increased importance on appearance, is the latter now the case?

There was never really very much reason to pick a character race based on what ships one wanted to fly. Now there is none at all. The differences are now purely appearance and RP.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

THe game is full of players who either like the RMT changes or are willing to ignore its pressence but the elephant is in the room.

If you look at the latest patch notes you will see there is very little in the way of substantial fixes. They are now working on fixing the systems that will get them more revenue from RMT.

This game is still going strong but is quickly turning into a shadow of what it once was.  Every patch and expansion references nerfs to one system or another.  I haven't seen anything new and compelling and I'm on month 3 of my break.

It depends on what you're really looking for but it might be worth checking it out if only to see what has changed.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

95% of EVE player grind ISK in high sec. The other 5% were there at Beta.

If you ant to be part of the 95% Monacle-whatever won't matter to you. You can and always could buy success in EVE. $34.99 per 800 mill or so. SP are secondary. They allow you to grind ISK faster but never as fast as the $34.99 click to confirm method. In PvP while you will get those rare 'but what if' scenarios people try to use to derail forum posts, the 99.99% rule is and always has been, the bigger blob wins and the ISK ability to roll out ship after ship after ship rules the day.

If you want to be part of the 5% your out of luck. Its invite only and you need to speak Russian.

Originally posted by free2play

If you ant to be part of the 95% Monacle-whatever won't matter to you. You can and always could buy success in EVE. $34.99 per 800 mill or so. SP are secondary. They allow you to grind ISK faster but never as fast as the $34.99 click to confirm method. In PvP while you will get those rare 'but what if' scenarios people try to use to derail forum posts, the 99.99% rule is and always has been, the bigger blob wins and the ISK ability to roll out ship after ship after ship rules the day.

If you want to be part of the 5% your out of luck. Its invite only and you need to speak Russian.

*yawn*

• cultura82cultura82 Member UncommonPosts: 27

it isn't worth anymore since 2007. It's very sad how CCP killed EVE.

Whoever fears death, dies everyday. Who doesn't, dies only once.

Now I feel kind of bad about all the fun I had humping the corpse between then and now.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Still worth getting into?

No.

3 Things :

1. Plex-you-can-buy-isk-legally-so-don't-worry-you-won't-get-banned

2. Walking-in-stations-and-microtransactions-are-only-sizeable-updates-in-a-long-time

3. Spaceships are beign neglected and pvp is about who has more ships , certain mechanics did allow that and it is not loking like it is going to change not to mention that is current speed and manpower EvE has it will take few years :/

So NO.

Either find yourself some indie sandbox , or forget sandbox and find a themepark. Or wait for one of upcoming titles - Swtor, GW2 or ArcheAge - maybe one of those will suit your tastes.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I am having fun, vets of any game tell you it was better years ago in the mythical "golden age", just try it out and see for yourself
  • gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Hell of course the game's still worth gettng into.  It's not going to literally die any time soon, and there's still tons of fun to be had in it for a new player.

EVE's going through a serious crisis at the moment, but it's not the sort of crisis that's going to affect newbies for another year or so if it goes the wrong way (i.e. if CCP don't do something to repair the damage).

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by free2play

Seriously, if you don’t have something decent to say why waste everyone’s time?

I don’t think EVE’s current troubles really have anything to do with newer players. The sad thing about the games new direction is that it’s still one of the best games on the market by far.

Things like bundled plex sales mean players can basically finance victory over the long term, and many of the other changes just don’t feel right to many players.

It’s like the company wants to take, what’s a really great space game, and get every single penny out of it.

Some feel this may not be the best approach, and that it looks like the actions of a desperate company.

For a newer player none of this matters. You can go buy a bundle of plex if you want, but the truth is, it’s going to be at least 8 months before you can even fathom how to spend that much isk.

The game may fall flat on its face in the next few years, or it may become a great themepark/sandbox hybrid, one that allows a great variety of play styles and is fun for everyone.

Either way, it’s the same game for new players. If anything, most of the changes benefit them.

I can’t think of any reason for a new player not to give it a try.

The question is, do you want to invest several months to get to a point where you may have to spend money to be the best.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by cultura82

it isn't worth anymore since 2007. It's very sad how CCP killed EVE.

Looking at online doesn't look like anyone killed anything.

Keep on rockin'!image

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

If you want to get in to be th ebest, then not really, but if you just want to have fun = maybe.

Keep on rockin'!image