Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: It really is worth a shot

TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

I started playing Aion about 3 months ago or so. Originally, I avoided this game like the plague due to the talk of how overall grindy and awful it is to level. If there is anything I hate in an MMO, it is leveling. Crazy, I know, but I simply enjoy endgame more. So, when I got this game (because it was only $20), I wasn't expecting to stay past my 30 day free month.

Let me say, I was pleasantly surprised. First off: The leveling has been toned down BIGTIME. Quests now give massive amounts of XP. At the lower level (1-30) you can still get several levels a day, at the midrange levels (30-40) you can still come close to 2 a day (and even more than that if they are doing a double XP event or you have XP increasing amulets), and higher levels (40-50) you can, as far as I've seen, get about a level every few days. My highest level character is 44, so I won't say anything about end game. This is primarily for new players from a new player's perspective.

So far, I have leveled 4 classes to 30ish, one to 44 (trying to figure out which I like best). The game seems to keep interest well enough, rifts allow PvP against people my level (not that this always works out... sometimes and really quite often you WILL get ganked; but that's the general downside of open world PvP!) and instances are set up in such a way that most classes do actually have a purpose (at least early-mid game. Not sure end game) and can usually find a spot.

Most importantly, for me, are the visuals. The game is GORGEOUS. I won't lie- if it wasn't for how this game looks, and it being one of the few open world PvP games, I wouldn't have started it in the first place. But I suggest you go look at videos on youtube for your respective classes to get an idea of what characters look like and combat looks like. (I linked the top rated youtube ones down at the bottom. Most of them are fun to watch!)

Will you get hooked? Honestly, I can't say. But for $20-$30 (this website is kinda off the mark on the price, I think) with a free month included, I'd say it would at least be worth a shot. :)

Top Rated Youtube PvP Videos For Each Class:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ranger: Aion Ranger 2.5 PvP

Spiritmaster: Aion PvP Spiritmaster 2.5

Templar: ??? AION 2.0 Templar PvP

Gladiator: Aion 2.0 Gladiator Raidou

Assassin: Aion PvP level 55 Assassin

Sorcerer: ShingXiao Sorcerer Aion PvP 2.1 vol 3

Cleric: 55 cleric solo pvp

Chanter: AION - Asmodian Chanter lvl 50 (PvP)

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I played aion from launch onwards, and got my first char to 44 i think before unsubbing because of the grindy-ness and gear focus of it all.

But, i'm tired of waiting for GW2 to come out, so i'm heading back to Aion myself to see just how much they've changed it for the better. i'm downloading the client now, and am going to setup a new char once its ready. need SOMETHING to play lol.

already bought the initial 'box' so all i have to do is shell out 15$ to get it rolling again, here's to hoping its better!

PVP isnt really for me, but from what i remember the PVE was great up until endgame, so my plan is to take it slow on my way up, and maybe unsub again once im there. who knows, might get sucked into pvp myself.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Great post, OP. Couldn't agree more. I picked up Aion about 2 months ago and love the game. Leveling is not bad at all, I have plenty of things to do every time I log on, and pvp is a blast.  People who have overlooked this game, or perhaps left early on due to the tough grind, should do themselves a favor and check out Aion 2.6 and beyond. It's a gem.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Its a gorgeous game and fun to play. It only has couple drawbacks and one of them is PVP. The grind is gone and most of the community is good.

***Raises plunger in salute to the upcoming 3.0 patch!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I played since beta all the way until a few months ago and then picked it back up for 3 months to just end my sub again(3 days ago). I have 2 55's. This is a great game with aestetics, really are no bugs. Quests are pretty easy. They added mentoring so if you are level 55 you can play with anyone who is 10 levels or more under you. This game has great PVE dungeons as well. However on every server the elyos own everything so if you are an asmodian this is going to effect how fast you gain AP. (Abyss Points) The leveling up to 50 is great and you can now go to the newer zone for the 50-55's they added in 2.0. This is where the game either sucks for you or doesn't. This is where the decked out pvp players all hang out. Elyos are always on the asmo side and they out gear them on every server. While you are out doing PVE you will be killed and not have a shot. These Elyos are usually the players who played from day 1 too. Even still there are fully decked out pvp asmos too. So if you are new and have no pvp gearno matter what side you play this is going to make the game more frustrating.

The reality is this game does not cater to new players too well. They make leveling up easier though with double xp every now and then. Unfortunetly too the population keeps going down down down. Mainly because of how unbalanced the game is faction wise. It use to be chock full of people but it has been dwindling it is down to 4 servers now and at least on israphel and zikel the populations were not very good.

Just my 2 cents. I am sure it can tide you over as a filler game until something good comes out but once you hit max level it will be really tough.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Aion: It really is worth a shit

^Fixed.

I came back after their 2.0, come back for two weeks promotion they had earlier this summer and I still just couldn't stand the game. Which is a shame because I tried hard to like it, I played all of the betas, even preordered and when it came down to it I just couldn't stick with it. I was subbed for 9 mos only logging on maybe once a week after the first two mos and realized I'm just threw about 80 bucks away to not play a game... Unsubbed and only looked back the one time and it just wasn't enough to make me pay them more money to play their game.

Will wait for the game that's worth a real shot, GW2.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I think Aion's a great game, unfortunately the required time commitment to be competitive in PvP along w/ the disasterous way it handles enchanting/crafting via RNG kinda kills it for me.  

Level grinding was never the issue in Aion, it was always the gear grind at cap.  It's an absolute drag.  Because of the significance of gear in PvP,  It creates a massive gap between your average gamer and a person who has absolutely no life whatsoever and dedicates 8 hours a day to grinding gear.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Games to fruity for me.  Tried it, didnt like the atmosphere.  Not the type of characters I can relate too.  I need my games with a little more grit, not lilly pads for umbrellas.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

No, this game needs to go away. They offended me with their abyss faction pvp system and something that offensive is beyond repair. Definately one of the laziest follow ups to a good concept i've experienced in a AAA title.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

NO.....oh my God, NO!

Aion = Fail, nuff said

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I am currently giving the trial a go.  Thus far, I'm not impressed.  Besides having a very nice character creator and nice character graphics, the game falls short for me.  It doesn't measure up to other games currently available.  This one will be a pass for me.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Beautiful game for sure.  The negativity in this thread is over-the-top.  It's worth playing, for sure.  The leveling curve is extreme, but they've been adding content and updating regularly since launch.  I'm going to resub once 3.0 comes out.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Aion is fantastic until you realize that the home base (Korea) views the west as little more than some extra change in their pockets.  While the eastern version of the game get constant updates and events, the west is lucky if updates/events are ever translated.  The homemade servers somehow manage to translate things months before the devs do, again if they ever do.

If you're satisfied with being a second class citizen then Aion is okay.  Did they ever reveal why the fired the only CM who actually interacted with the players was misteriously fired in the middle of a twitter event?  I'm surprised that any long term players have stuck with the game this long.

• manny702manny702 Member Posts: 13

Best game u can play for 15 bucks a month right now good looking gear and graphics good community and alot of events that actaully give u good gear and items to get u money personally am finding aion awsome easy to learn how to duel with ur class with ur legion helping u i personally got good gear fast and learned how to PVP better with my temp..also this game is gear dependant but u can easly get gear now all i now is if u want to try the game fuuck all the haterz and try it out u might end up buying it lol so just check it out dnt listen to haterz or assholes that bandwagon with everyone.

• ChastayneChastayne Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by manny702

Best game u can play for 15 bucks a month right now good looking gear and graphics good community and alot of events that actaully give u good gear and items to get u money personally am finding aion awsome easy to learn how to duel with ur class with ur legion helping u i personally got good gear fast and learned how to PVP better with my temp..also this game is gear dependant but u can easly get gear now all i now is if u want to try the game fuuck all the haterz and try it out u might end up buying it lol so just check it out dnt listen to haterz or assholes that bandwagon with everyone.

First of all:  http://robin.hubpages.com/hub/Grammar_Mishaps__Building_a_Sentence

I swear I was on WoW's trade chat for a moment...

I bought Aion when it was first released.  It came in a nice metal container.   True, the game looked great, the gear was very nice looking.

The immediate downside of it becomes apparent as you quest, you have a rough time finding groups.  Everyone is in a solo questing frenzy so they can level cap to pvp.  It was the same as soloing with others who are soloing.  There was rarely any chatter.   I found it a beautiful, lore-less asian grinder based around end game pvp.  If that's what you're after, then it's your game.

If you're looking for solid indepth lore, detailed talents, detailed crafting, or something that will take years to get mundane;  this isn't for you.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Aion is a lot better than this thread would have you believe.  There are only four games I feel are worth playing atm, and Aion is one of them (the other three being LotRO, EvE, and CoX).

I get the feeling that a lot of the negativity is from disgruntled players who haven't played since the launch period.

<3

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Aion is a lot better than this thread would have you believe.  There are only four games I feel are worth playing atm, and Aion is one of them (the other three being LotRO, EvE, and CoX).

I get the feeling that a lot of the negativity is from disgruntled players who haven't played since the launch period.

^^ Spot on.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Scambug

Hmm well so far I'm rather disappointed by Aion.

It's nothing like L2, and everything like WoW... From what I've seen, it just looks like another boring themepark quest grinder.

It's also totally dead, at least in the newb zones.

No doubt it gets better at higher levels but there's no way in hell I'm wasting my time grinding mindless quests day after day in order to get there.

You should play on Israphel. It always seems to have people playing no matter what level you are.

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by Scambug

Hmm well so far I'm rather disappointed by Aion.

It's nothing like L2, and everything like WoW... From what I've seen, it just looks like another boring themepark quest grinder.

It's also totally dead, at least in the newb zones.

No doubt it gets better at higher levels but there's no way in hell I'm wasting my time grinding mindless quests day after day in order to get there.

Appairently you said you are playing the game but then you say "it looks like another boring themepar quest grinder"

Bullshit much?

Also if you don't want to grind quests or monsters then what are you doing playing a mmorpg?

• heimdall22heimdall22 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Well. to be perfectly honest Aion has some nice features, which is... errrmm... Graphics maybe?

Character customization is really good if it comes to characters. Gear is fantastic looking as well, altho dyeing without preview is silly, especially considering the price and availability of the most wanted dyes.

Nevertheless, visual side of it is breathtaking, ill give them that for a dollar.

But if it comes to gameplay, its extremely dull, mindnumbing and repeatable.

Leveling is boring itself, and its not time that needs to be spent on but the fact that all of the quests falls into "kill x monsters, bring me x items" category. If they are not, they are annoying or close to impossible to do (vide all of the spying quest).

But real grind starts with getting level cap. Its all based on doing same instances all over again, where the only challenge is to avoid as many trash pulls on your way to boss as possible.

Open world abyss pvp is absolutely ridiculous. Its either gank or be ganked or the biggest blob wins. 

Unless you like beautiful toons with eye catching gear on or you love to feel superior just because you have more time to play than others, it's a perfect game for you. Or you have some masochist tendencies to grind, grind and grind your gear again (staring at your beautiful toon's back).

Otherwise I would reccomend to stay away as far as possible.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Right now its easy to level up , at least to L40's, and there you can get sieges (my favourite feature on this game), and rift on some weekends to enemy territory, then at 46 you get dredgion and you'll have always stuff to do , but if you dont like pvp forget this game , aion PvE its awful boring.

I stoped for 1 month, and im playing games like witcher II and deus ex but after they release 2.7 im back (pvp arenas 1versus1 and those chaotic 10 pvp all versus all).

• heimdall22heimdall22 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by pedrostrik

Right now its easy to level up , at least to L40's, and there you can get sieges (my favourite feature on this game), and rift on some weekends to enemy territory, then at 46 you get dredgion and you'll have always stuff to do , but if you dont like pvp forget this game , aion PvE its awful boring.

I stoped for 1 month, and im playing games like witcher II and deus ex but after they release 2.7 im back (pvp arenas 1versus1 and those chaotic 10 pvp all versus all).

Well, I wouldn't call dredgion PvP in the first place. It's some monster called PvPvE. So basically your on an instanced arena full of trash and Boss pulls with POSSIBILITY of fighting other group doing exactly same thing. Not once nor twice it happened to me that we haven't seen other grup at all...

And as far as I've read, to enter these arenas you need tickets, to get tickets you need to to do some PvE quests. Sorry, but I'd rather have some fun while playing than grind my buttocks off in order to have a bit of fun.

So again, when is GW2 coming out?

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

• TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

Originally posted by heimdall22

Originally posted by pedrostrik

Well, I wouldn't call dredgion PvP in the first place. It's some monster called PvPvE. So basically your on an instanced arena full of trash and Boss pulls with POSSIBILITY of fighting other group doing exactly same thing. Not once nor twice it happened to me that we haven't seen other grup at all...

And as far as I've read, to enter these arenas you need tickets, to get tickets you need to to do some PvE quests. Sorry, but I'd rather have some fun while playing than grind my buttocks off in order to have a bit of fun.

So again, when is GW2 coming out?

I am definitely sorry to hear Aion hasn't been a fun experience for you. I can definitely say that there are many people in Aion who have no shared your experience and have enjoyed the game greatly, but I can see where you are coming from. Some games just aren't for everyone. These sorts of differences in opinions are why I don't like Darkfall (despite loving PvP and Darkfall being a hardcore PvP game) and why I DO like EVE. Guild Wars 2 has quite a ways to go before it comes out, though! I did hear that GW1 added some new content within the past few months that should add a little replay value to it still! Worth a shot, in any case. =D

Still playing Aion and loving it, so far! I've met quite a few people on there that have been playing since release and are getting a huge kick out of it, as well. The PvP is fun, some classes are now less gear dependent than they used to be, and getting gear doesn't seem to be all that bad anymore. So we'll see. Maybe in a few months I'll be singing a different tune, but at least it'll keep me entertained for those few months (just gotta hold out for Skryim lol)

@Sukiyaki

Clearly you haven't been around Aion for long.  It was well over a year before the devs decided to translate one of the many events they had created for the asian base.  Even today while they picked up speed in translating patches it can still be 2-4 months before we get them in the west.

@Boardwalker

I can only assume that you were dangerously high when you made your post.  I toll Aion across sites?  The ONLY complaints I've ever offered regarding Aion is the treatment western players recieve, and the "pvper" who like the "challenge" of killing players 20+ levels below them.  Beyond that I'm nearly an Aion fanboi.  I've got shirts, posters, a figure and the comic book, and continue to this day to say that this could have been the second biggest mmorpg on the market if the devs cared about their western customers.  So you Sir are a twit and must be thinking of someone else.  Might want to check your facts in the future before you open your mouth and look like a fool.

Ok...

When did the world soccer event get translated to NA servers?  Oh thats right NEVER.  We got to participate in the web game but didn't get the in game event.

Wonder Girls Event hits Korean pts in May of 2010.  What was the date it got translated to NA again?  NEVER  We were offered a chance to get the emote and costumes throught he store or contests, but never got the event.

How am I doing?  Still don't know what I'm talking about?  Please there were only two trolls in this thread and I wasn't one of them.

• crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198

Aion is not bad and besides WoW was the MMO Ive played the longest. The problem I have with Aion there arent many dungeons to do. If you would count lower abyss inis as dungeons there would be some but in reality nobody is going there or only with friends or guildies, and for upper inis ppls only inviting you if you are lvl50+. Then you got firetemple which you can grind and steelrake and thats all besides 2 1man dungeons. (keep in mind I dont speak about end lvl)

Yes you will have more options when you are high lvl but for low and mid lvl there really should be much more dungeons. Iam an alt-o-holic and have completed the daeva set so it gets really boring when there is just firetemple and steelrake :/. Other thing i really dislike is that difficulty for dungeons are mostly made out of that mobs have more HP, it takes like a few minutes to kill a few normal mobs, thats not hard, it´s tiring. They fixed that in the new dungeons but that again is at end lvls, why havent they changed it across the board is out of my mind.

Then we have the little things which are totally annoying and unacceptable like snap back with camera, tabing thru walls and mobs which are like 10000m away and also too small hitboxes when you try to select enemies with your mouse (you havr to click like 5-10 times especially for moving targets like other players in PvP, its not such a problem in PvE but for PvP it is unacceptable). These are only kinda small things and they never fixed them and I guess they sadly never will.

PvP is mostly only outdoor, this might be more of a personal preference. But its only about ganking and if you don´t have good enough stuff it will take like 10000 years to get enough points to get some decent PvP items. And dont get me with Dreadgion, while its a nice idea and I like it its only 3 times a day at SET TIMES. Mostly you have to wait 1 hour to get in or sometimes you dont even get it and if you get in you mostly facing premades with twinks ... yes thats fun. Wouldnt be a problem if I could go in as often as I would like.

If they would fix these things well then Aion would be a great title cause fighting, graphics (mostly at least) and animations are really really great and awesome but that alone sadly doesnt make a great game.

Now tell me pls honestly, did anything have changed of this ? If yes then I might try it again otherwise not a chance.