Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any recommendations?

zite4321zite4321 Member Posts: 51

Long time MMO player here. Started with MUDs in the early days, then UO, etc. I play just about every mainstream MMO that comes out hoping to find one that sucks me in. Few have done it. So now, here I am again looking for a new game. I getting interested in the f2p games as they are.. well free. I don't have to make any type of immediate commitment to them for my hard earned dollars. The latest game I've played (along with my wife) was Eden Eternal. I liked the game. Was a bit of a grind and the cash shop was slightly outreagous with their pricing on some items. What I didn't like, there was no crafting. I buy an item and give it to an NPC to craft it for you. I also really liked the class system. Reminded me a little of FF11 with being able to change classes and all while only having to maintain one character. So basically here is my list of things I'd be interested in.

Class changes, dual classing, or something along the lines so I don't end up with 20 alts trying to find the perfect class for me, eventually bored doing the same content over and over and quitting. Isn't a requirement but would be great.

Easily casual. I don't have a lot of time on my hands with work and the family coming first. I'd like something that is casual, easy to pick up and possibly level/gain skills fairly quickly.

Grind, but not to much. If we look at all our old school games there was pretty much nothing but grinding. UO, EQ, DAoC, etc but it was also fun. Eden Eternal turned out to be nothing but clicking an emeny as soon as one died and spamming one of your few spells over and over. That, was a little to much.

Something to do besides leveling/grinding/questing. I can understand if quests are generally exciting they will keep you occupied. Which leads me to my next requirement, and it's a biggy.

Crafting! I love to craft. I don't mind spending a few hours mining, chopping trees, picking flowers, etc. It has to have real crafting.

Now I actually enjoyed the graphical style of Eden Eternal. I've never really played a anime style MMO before so it was a huge change from Conan, LotRO, FF11/14, WoW, Matrix Online, EQ2, Rift, DDO, and the many others that I've played through out the years but anime isn't a requirement.

I know there are plenty of foreign MMO's out there. I've tried a few of them EE, Fiesta, and Dragon Nest to name a few. I've been looking through the list of them and some seem interesting. I just really don't want to spend another 20 minutes to a few hours downloading and patching a game to decide after an hour that I don't like it. So any recommendations would be great. Please give a reason behind you are recommending the game. What did you like about it.. what didn't you like about it. The more information the better. Thanks everyone!! Happy MMO'ing!!!

Comments

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Dragon nest

- F2P with cash shop (essential cash shop item can be purchase in auction house via game gold)

-Casual (this game will fit any time limit u might have in ur gaming lifestyle)

-Crafting (all the good item are craft only but the crafting mostly just involve farming dungeon for material)

-GFX (graphic, art, world design, special effect for this game is quite good)

-Class (all the classes are fun to play and make u feel epic and powerful...not kidding)

-Combat Mechanic ( Best combat mechanic on the market currently and for the forseeable future imo)

-Nice storyline (Interesting story and quest...thou the english voice acting is a downer for me)

-Low level cap (level cap will be raised slowly...currently it's lv24)

Uncharted Water Online

-F2P with cash shop (unless ur really hardcore into the game you won't need the cash shop)

-Unique world setting (sailing game with a dash of historical setting)

-Great scale (trading from EU to India take around 1-2 hour of sailing)

-Crafting and sandboxness (Market fluctuation, city building/investing, lots and lots of stuff to craft)

-Skill base progression (classless, leveless all depend on what skill u've learn)

-Lots of mature/old gamer in it last i check (spent time playing poker and chatting a lot)

-No questing and free to plot ur own playstyle and objective

• zite4321zite4321 Member Posts: 51

I downloaded Dragon Nest a few days ago and played it a bit. I liked it, the combat was great! I really didn't like how everything was instanced though. I like a nice big world to explore and it seemed like I was just running from instanced town to instanced dungeon over and over. I will continue to play it here and there as I really enjoyed the combat.

Uncharted Water looks interesting. I might try that one out to see how it goes. Kinda reminds me of a more anime style Pirates of the Burning Sea. But one of my favorite games of all time was Sea Dogs.. made by Bethesda. Before everyone knew of them due to Morrowind and Oblivion. Was an amazing game and I'd like to connect with my inner pirate again. Thanks for the suggestions I'll give it a go. Also thank you very much for being so descriptive! Descriptions like that are exactly what I'm looking for.

Any more recommendations? The more the merrier!!

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291

OMG! Yes I loved that game even though it was consolized. I wish I still had my old copy of that.. only got to play it maybe 8-10 hours before loaning it to a friend to try out. Don't remember what happened, he moved, I moved or something. I need to find a cheap copy of that game somewhere.

• SeinaruSeinaru Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 109

Only thing that comes to mind that matches all of those is Mabinogi

-F2P

-No classes, skill based, and there's no max level so you can do every "class" on one character

-Very casual friendly, without going into details it basically makes it easier for you to level if you play more casually

-It's a sandbox, so... it's as grindy as you want it to be

-Plenty of optional stuff to do

-Favorite crafting system out of all the games I've tried. It's pretty realistic, and yeah, you actually do the crafting

-It is anime graphics, and they're somewhat dated, but that's about its only weak point

I've had my eye on Mabinogi for a while now. I love the idea of a skill based system vs. a class based system. I might as well just give in and give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Try Pirates of the Burning Sea. Solid western MMO, it essientially costs you 15 bucks for indefinite unrestricted gameplay (Besides a couple questlines) should you enjoy it enough.

Make it so...

Well downloaded Mabinogi but after their latest update they screwed a lot of things up. Can't connect to the server due to their ISP routing issue with level3.net backbone. People have been having this problem for days now and can't connect. Doesn't look like Nexon is going to do anything about it. A shame since they are losing many customers over this. So much for that..

A western MMO.. that could be interesting. I'll have to wait to check it out until tomorrow though. It's late and I need to get to bed. Have that horrible thing called work coming up early in the morning.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i would recommend

Istaria:

you can level all adventuring type classes/skills

you can level all crafting type classes/skills

they have a limited f2p option, but i have not had any problems at lower levels yet.

Ryzom;

you can level all skills of any type you want

they have the most innovative and fun magic system, where you create your own spells from base spells that you have learned

the crafting and harvesting are very intense and at least at one point in time they had pvp objectives that rewarded the winning guild and its allies with mats and recipes unavailable elsewhere.

you can f2p to skill level 110. that doesnt sound like much but considering you can level *all* skills even that will take you a while.

and then there's my ol'standby Vanguard:

3 spheres of activity including

Adventuring- basically all your pve skills for your class

Crafting- your crafting specialization, which can be changed over time by choosing to allocate points in the new specialization and crafting your way up in it. also, the crafting is a great minigame with ingame quests attached to it that reward crafting xp as well as good crafting gear. crafting is also incredibly useful and can be leveled through workorders if you want. did mention building and sailing your own boat? =)

Diplomacy- basically a card based minigame in which you attempt to influence various npc's to gain citywide buffs, rewards, mounts, and at endgame unlock certain raids/dungeons for your group.

10 free trial on the isle of Dawn, not connected with the mainland. this newer starter area has the best source of gear and tutorials for each of the 3 spheres, to be found anywhere later ingame.

dont believe just me or the haters, just check it out for yourself. that and EQ/EQ2 are worth the 20bucks a month StationPass.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

You could also take a look a planeshift

pros

Classless game as far as i can remember

100% free so you can play as much or as little as you like

It's a skill based game so you will need to grind those skills

And has a very good crafting system(a lot better than most)

Has some original ideas(makes a changeimage)

cons

can be a bit heavy on the rp side(although this could be a pro, up to u). Has a non-rp server but is mostly used for testing.

slow development