Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: A Cash Shop Makes Sense

Comments

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

I have played FTP and PTP and on the average I payed way more using Item shop thats why i'm never playing FTP again its a scam to me all desighned ot take your money on tyhe average I paid way more then 14.99 a month.

• sanman7890sanman7890 Member Posts: 96

Cash shops aren't going anywhere folks, sorry you all hate them so much!

• BrawlkingBrawlking Member Posts: 57

I wouldn't really say that a cash shop makes sense, but hey, if morons with nothing better to spend their money on want to waste it, more power to them. I dont like cosmetic outfits, so I could care less. That said, if the cash shop starts carrying items that are essential to game play, then I will have a problem. I wont pay a monthly subscription only to have to pay more money to buy items I'll need in the game.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

P2P + cash shop = no play for me. 

Shame I liked what the game was offering.  Guess I'll wait until the game tanks and goes f2p with cash shop.  I have nothing against cash shops but double dipping in my book is terrible.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I do not understand the EA reference.  Has something changed other then them being the publisher in NA?  Everything else is going to run through Funcom like normal, I highly doubt they have any say in anything this game does.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Originally posted by Zadawn

Originally posted by RavingRabbid

Cash shops are a way for the companys to keep the game running, pay employees, and expenses

And yet another one that eats the S..T

Yeah they have to make money somehow considering you only pretend you pay a sub after you've already pretended you bought the boxed version.

Do you not know of how business works? Box version and subs can take you a ways, but only so far. Cash doesnt grow on trees. If the subs are going down for whatever reason you need to come up with a way to continue the income flow. Cash shops are a way to do this.  Im not for or against cash shops in general, but a company has to be able stay in busniess.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by Otakun

P2P + Cash shop = waste of money. I will have to turn this one down but I am sure there are people out there who are more then willing to shovel cash into EA's pocket and ruin MMOs for the rest of us.

Thats about all that needs to be said on the subject.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by sanman7890

Cash shops aren't going anywhere folks, sorry you all hate them so much!

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Cash shops are a way for the companys to keep the game running, pay employees, and expenses

Yeah they have to make money somehow considering you only pretend you pay a sub after you've already pretended you bought the boxed version.

Do you not know of how business works? Box version and subs can take you a ways, but only so far. Cash doesnt grow on trees. If the subs are going down for whatever reason you need to come up with a way to continue the income flow. Cash shops are a way to do this.  Im not for or against cash shops in general, but a company has to be able stay in busniess.

If you can't stay in business after the box sale/sub, maybe your game was not of the P2P quality to start out. When I'm paying premium, I do not expect to get nickel and dimed. Raise the sub price or go F2P/freemium.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Do you not know of how business works? Box version and subs can take you a ways, but only so far. Cash doesnt grow on trees. If the subs are going down for whatever reason (good or bad) you need to come up with a way to continue the income flow. Cash shops are a way to do this.  Im not for or against cash shops in general, but a company has to be able stay in busniess.

People are insane. According to most then bussiness's have been in the poor house and failing since the begining of time until this one dude discovered the magical CASH SHOP!!! and all bussiness woes were done away with with the new ultimate cash flow sceme and all was well in the universe!!

How bout they make good products with good support that are worth buying and worth playing for more than a day or 2? Can't make money like that anymore eh...

Pity.

As far as SW having it and all the fuss. It's Funcom. Auotmatic pass right there.

• phamannnphamannn Member Posts: 37

Was looking forward to TSW. Now seeing that cash shop is being placed into game, i'm a little put off now.

TSW if you can assure me that the cash shop will not contain ingame needed items and/or pay to win items then i will be ready to jump back aboard.

Cash shops are ok for little extras for cosmetics,but if the cash shop is used to take ingame items out of game and double dip into players pockets, that would be a nono in my book.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

its also a nice way to make even less players leave, get it in your head, P2P+ CS = losing a hell lots of players

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Yeah, today they say it will only be vanity fluff items. Two years from now.. surprise they've added armor, weapons, etc to it and are now suddenly behaving like they're surprised when you get ticked. Let SOE be a lesson. Never ever believe a company when they say something like this.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

a yes forgot to say this, I guess I will just stick to GW2 and nothing else, at least its the only one who will not try to steal from me

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • FlinorFlinor Member Posts: 7

No. WRONG! The game industry did quite well without cash shops. It evolved just fine during 20 or so years...I havent heard any game developer die from hunger. Do you think that behemots like EA and Activision exists because the business was going bad? 

Cash Shops are just a new GIMMICK because the sales people hired by those companies noticed that there are quite a lot of people like you willing to pay the monthly subscription and buy all the pink ponies and whatnots from their chash shops.

Believe me, no one at EA is dying from hunger. They are just rubbing their hands with a wide grin, Mr. Burns style!

Originally posted by 69Cuda

Do you not know of how business works? Box version and subs can take you a ways, but only so far. Cash doesnt grow on trees. If the subs are going down for whatever reason (good or bad) you need to come up with a way to continue the income flow. Cash shops are a way to do this.  Im not for or against cash shops in general, but a company has to be able stay in busniess.

People are insane. According to most then bussiness's have been in the poor house and failing since the begining of time until this one dude discovered the magical CASH SHOP!!! and all bussiness woes were done away with with the new ultimate cash flow sceme and all was well in the universe!!

How bout they make good products with good support that are worth buying and worth playing for more than a day or 2? Can't make money like that anymore eh...

Pity.

As far as SW having it and all the fuss. It's Funcom. Auotmatic pass right there.

I agree that these companies should make good games and its a portion of the problem, but that too only takes you so far. People gravitate toward new games and trends as they present themselves, wanna try something new, or simply get bored with the game. There are many ADD MMO players.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by alkarionlog

its also a nice way to make even less players leave, get it in your head, P2P+ CS = losing a hell lots of players

By that logic, WoW would be in dire straits with theirs.

Like others have said, don't like the idea, don't buy the game. Everyone gets along, but it IS here to stay until the 'people' that make it profitable stop using it.

And please refrain from calling them down, they're ppl like you and me that have different ideas on how they'd like to play their game. Your view is no better or worse then anyone else's. So get it in your head, Different strokes for different folks, Mkay?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

bzzzz! wrong answer!

Cash shops are straight up greed if they are charging a box fee + montly fee.

Joined - July 2004

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

ANd how do you know the subs are dropping and not increasing?The game is not even out yet,.

ANd yeah probably you;'re right,after all these cool news they'll really need the cash shop,many dropped the game off of their wishlist.

Originally posted by Flinor

No. WRONG! The game industry did quite well without cash shops. It evolved just fine during 20 or so years...I havent heard any game developer die from hunger. Do you think that behemots like EA and Activision exists because the business was going bad? 

Cash Shops are just a new GIMMICK because the sales people hired by those companies noticed that there are quite a lot of people like you willing to pay the monthly subscription and buy all the pink ponies and whatnots from their chash shops.

Believe me, no one at EA is dying from hunger. They are just rubbing their hands with a wide grin, Mr. Burns style!

This isnt about EA. This about the smaller companies. How many of them made thier dollars stretch  thin and lay off workers?  Did you forget that costs of doing business rises? You also obviously didnt read my abouve my post where i rarely have used them, (once). Agian im not for or against cash shops. What im for is a compnay attempting to be innovative to bring in income.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Your opinion, doesn't make it fact. Business is all about money.

Your sense of self-entitlement is really astounding when you have the power to simply..not..buy..the..game. Vote with your wallet.

If enough games fail due to this then the industry will shift back. Don't hold your breath though, you'll pass out way before corps see the 'light'.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Like others have said, don't like the idea, don't buy the game. Everyone gets along, but it IS here to stay until the 'people' that make it profitable stop using it.

And please refrain from calling them down, they're ppl like you and me that have different ideas on how they'd like to play their game. Your view is no better or worse then anyone else's. So get it in your head, Different strokes for different folks, Mkay?

you can't compare TSW with WoW,

WOW is the king and it will always be,i don't see the game going lower anytime soon.

PS:I don't play wow anymore.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Love all the people raging about cash shops in P2P games. Their angers is so sweet and delicious. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, dear people, but every MMO does include some form of micro transaction. Character transer, name change, appearance change, vaniyt pets/mounts a'la WoW, TCG rewards a'la WoW - IT's all MT, it's all exaclty same as Cash Shop. Every major MMO release and probably every minor as well will include some sort of MT no matter whenever they are F2P, P2P or B2P. 

I said it when TRH hit WoW and i will keep saying that. But when TRH appeared in WoW everyone was all about "OMG it's just vanity item nothing srs!" 

The people have voted. They want such stuff in MMOs. You have no one else to blame but yourselves. 

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by whisperwynd

you can't compare TSW with WoW,

WOW is the king and it will always be,i don't see the game going lower anytime soon.

PS:I don't play wow anymore.

You really need to do your research. WoW lost nearly a million subscribers in the last year. Even they admitted it. It was all over the news. Do you actually think thats a good thing for a game? 

ANd how do you know the subs are dropping and not increasing?The game is not even out yet,.

ANd yeah probably you;'re right,after all these cool news they'll really need the cash shop,many dropped the game off of their wishlist.

What game are you talking about? I wasnt talking about any game in particular.