Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: PAX – The Deepest MMORPG Ever

Comments

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

I watched a dev demo on youtube and my impression is that this could be a great game.  I noticed that some thing they are doing that I really like is big impressive attack animations, double jump, no auto-attack, impressive use of phasing.

Phasing, like revealing hidden paths for an explorer or changing the weather for a player after he or she has passed a certain quest is pretty nice (though, I am still a big fan of GW2's DEs where you can cause stuff to happen to the world for everyone), and I think that it will open up a lot of interesting options, depending on which path you choose.

If this game manages to keep me interested enough to try it out (and it looks like it will) I will eagerly try out the different paths and see which one I like the most.  There is potential for a lot of fun to be had.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• shippershipper Member Posts: 17

Kill 10 saber-tooths, and I'm givin a choice to skin them, investigate them, or kill off the boss tiger and save the town.  Sounds like I'm still killing 10 tigers yet they've found a way to keep me in a quest longer that has nothing to do with the larger story line. 

I already feel trapped by kill 10 x beasts why would I feel the need to "trap" myself even longer.

Now have me fight through a hoard of saber-tooths to get to a boss laying siege to a town with no number required for me to kill because killing the boss would make the minions flee then you'll have my attention.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I loved the trailer and idea, but cmon.. deepest MMO ever? EVE's players would laugh at this

• AnthonyMSAnthonyMS Member Posts: 33

Sorry, being published by NCSoft, my inner skeptic has to say it:

*coughs* Tabula Rasa *coughs*

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Mardukk

I'm shocked the graphics aren't more of a complaint from people.  I can't believe they have received positive reviews for the cartoon graphics.  These are even a step more cartoony than WoW.  I played WoW but that was about my limit for cartoony.

Who gave them good feedback? Surely no one over 20 with some testosterone.

And yes I think many want a Themepark with some Sandbox elements (player housing, changing the environment and little less hand holding)...there is no reason those things cannot be done.

Explain to me why only photorealistic artwork can be appreciated?  It's a choice of style.  I'm just thankful that there are many of them out there so I'll never be stuck with only the one that you want.  

Judging by the way you swing your opinion around, maybe you suffer from an over-abundance of testosterone there, junior.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I can't force myself to read anything about this game, considering how horrible (for my personal taste) the graphics are...

I hope enough people are allright with this theme to play their game.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by shipper

Kill 10 saber-tooths, and I'm givin a choice to skin them, investigate them, or kill off the boss tiger and save the town.  Sounds like I'm still killing 10 tigers yet they've found a way to keep me in a quest longer that has nothing to do with the larger story line. 

I already feel trapped by kill 10 x beasts why would I feel the need to "trap" myself even longer.

Now have me fight through a hoard of saber-tooths to get to a boss laying siege to a town with no number required for me to kill because killing the boss would make the minions flee then you'll have my attention.

The game is announced less than a month ago, and you already know how the quest works out, you must be from NCsoft. They merely mentioned a quest giver, and you already assume what quest are designed in the game, pessimist much? Every game requires numbers for it to work, nothing in a game is ever random.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by terrant

Anyway...intrigued but skeptical about this game. A MMO where you can level by crafting, exploring, or socializing without having to kill a single thing? Yes it's been done before, but it's rarely ever been successful

Sounds more like Earth and Beyond really.

You had three level up paths, Exploration - Trade - Combat.

Each was totally seperate XP.

That was a fairly old game though, so you pretty much just grinded lol but it was nice to switch things up.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Originally posted by AnthonyMS

Sorry, being published by NCSoft, my inner skeptic has to say it:

*coughs* Tabula Rasa *coughs*

As in, a brilliant idea that was poorly implemented? I quite liked TR and some of its ideas (the NPC invasions, CCG-like hunting for glyphs that encouraged exploration, etc) were great. But classes were ill-balanced, the cloning system was badly done, and the game just didn't get teh support it needed to stay off the ground.

Well, this one doesn't have Garriot behind it, so it has that going for it. 

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

lots of promises and marketspeak. I will keep an eye on this game, so +1 for the market team!

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

I don't understand people who say shit like this.

What is it would you rather do in an MMO? Fucking really!

You want to level while stand in a city or town with your thumb up your ass.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Settler sounds fun to me.  I've always been a craft/builder player.  I always end up in woodworking/carpentry or masonry if they game has it.  i like building buildings :)

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I don't see how a game can be the most in-depth mmo of all time and not take themselves seriously at the same time. Both of which their devs have been quoted saying more than once so far. I like the possibilities of this game, but not holding my breath yet.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by Mardukk

I'm shocked the graphics aren't more of a complaint from people.  I can't believe they have received positive reviews for the cartoon graphics.  These are even a step more cartoony than WoW.  I played WoW but that was about my limit for cartoony.

Who gave them good feedback? Surely no one over 20 with some testosterone.

And yes I think many want a Themepark with some Sandbox elements (player housing, changing the environment and little less hand holding)...there is no reason those things cannot be done.

I'm actually quite suprised myself. Usually people on this site are all over shit like this. QQ about how the graphics are too cartoonish. Not every gaming company is shooting for realizim and its not like everyone can afford better PC to support games with those features. Seems more of a business model if anything. Why not let them make a game that everyone has access to and let them make money off of it?

Maybe it's just warming up here?

It's only a matter of time for those same dickheads to come with their WAMBULANCE of WHY WHY WHY NO NO NO. Or back in AO,UO, EQ we didn't do this shit, make it like AO, UO and EQ, better yet bring back SWG the way it was.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by nomss

Originally posted by Asamof

the CG trailer turned me off from the setting

the writing and acting made it come off like a kids WB saturday morning cartoon intended for 8 year olds

That's actually a good thing, for me at least, as I really like Pixar. I have yet to see the trailer.

I love pixar to death. When I say kids WB saturday morning crap, I meant that it came off as really corny

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

I'm just going to say that I have huge doubts that this game will be so revolutionary and refershing that it will be able to outweigh the horrible art style. FFS I can't stand the art style in this game at all. Me thinks the developers are getting a bit overzealous and buying into their own hype a bit too much.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

lol@ those who can't play games with cartoony graphics

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well if they have classes and levels, there will not be any depth, your avatar will be just like every other avatar of that particular skillset

So the sandboxers are now getting to own and control what depth means in the industry.  lol.  I didn't vote for it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• stfuplzstfuplz Member Posts: 8

I'm loving the art style.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

thought the trailer looked pretty good, i mean, you could make a film out of this.... if they can actually make a game out of it though..  well im interested, graphics was a bit cutesy but, not horrendously so...   for the moment i'll be cautiously optimistic.. theres a lot of promises here and if they pull off half of them, it might be good, if they pull of all of them, it might even be great!

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by Spiritof55

lol@ those who can't play games with cartoony graphics

Well then lol at me then...

In reply to the original poster:

This is a joke right?

I mean this is the same cartoony mainstream manga cookie cutter MMO crap as usual. Just totally un-deep!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

The may have a lot of big themepark devs in their corner. But that doesnt really translate to "deepest MMORPG ever" imo. Richard Garriott and Raph Koster are missing from their roster for me to take that claim seriously.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Slowdoves

I don't understand people who say shit like this.

What is it would you rather do in an MMO? Fucking really!

You want to level while stand in a city or town with your thumb up your ass.

MMORPGs used to be about much more than combat. In several MMOs prior to WoW, there were alternative methods of participating within the MMORPG that didn't revolve around combat. In example, crafting used to be a fully fleshed out and engaging path that players could take. Other such examples are players being able to buff others, remove long term state debuffs, get other players from one point to another more easily, etc.

In other words, some players want to play in an MMO that's more of a virtual world, and not just an online hack and slash combat simulator.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by waynejr2

Well if they have classes and levels, there will not be any depth, your avatar will be just like every other avatar of that particular skillset

So the sandboxers are now getting to own and control what depth means in the industry.  lol.  I didn't vote for it.

You cannot have depth when your avatar is shoehorned into a class/level system, there is no flexibility in developing your character, you have to fit the mold they give you.  

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by waynejr2

You cannot have depth when your avatar is shoehorned into a class/level system, there is no flexibility in developing your character, you have to fit the mold they give you.  

And you know for a fact there is no depth within the same class?