Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter also confirmed F2P

2»

Comments

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by Aquazen

Cryptic maybe able to pull it off as they have two games (one great, one good) to model neverwinter after.  The thing that kills it for me is the 4th edition ruleset, I know it's the new thing but it sux bad (how do you think Pathfinder got so big, good job WotWC).

What TWO games would those would? Champions Online was horrible, and City of Heroes was mediocre. Neither of those were anything NEAR good, nevertheless GREAT.

Seriously, learn the MMO genre m8. The population for BOTH of those games are even smaller than Anarchy Online from Funcom, and that's OLDER THAN CRAP.

NWN 1 and 2 ?

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Cryptic maybe able to pull it off as they have two games (one great, one good) to model neverwinter after.  The thing that kills it for me is the 4th edition ruleset, I know it's the new thing but it sux bad (how do you think Pathfinder got so big, good job WotWC).

What TWO games would those would? Champions Online was horrible, and City of Heroes was mediocre. Neither of those were anything NEAR good, nevertheless GREAT.

Seriously, learn the MMO genre m8. The population for BOTH of those games are even smaller than Anarchy Online from Funcom, and that's OLDER THAN CRAP.

NWN 1 and 2 ?

Theyre both Bioware titles, Thats why they are good.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

NWN 1 and 2 ?

Those were by Bioware and Obsidian respectively. Cryptic had nothing to do with either of them. As for modeling their game after them they just don't have the talent that Bioware + Obsidian had when those games were released.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I've got a bad feeling about this. Oops wrong game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am somewhat surprised, I thought they would make it B2P.

Well, I guess the Perfect world bosses know F2P better and it does work for DDO.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by Brenelael

Originally posted by lectrocuda

http://www.playneverwinter.com/gallery

are these real?

Don't get too excited over these screenshots. Cryptic released some amazing looking screenshots for both CO and STO when they were in development as well and we all know how that turned out.

Bren

Exactly.  What they did to the Star Trek franchise sums up how talentless Cryptic are.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

NWN 1 and 2 ?

It MUST be NW1 and NW2 that was meant - I wondered if the "have two games" meant two existing Cryptic titles, but (and I mean this without sarcasm) Cryptic don't have any games that could be classed as either "great" or "good".  STO entertained myself and two of my friends for a couple of weeks but it was such a superficial, simplistic game (as merely one example, 10k weapon range, ffs!  We have weaponry TODAY that has better ranges than that!) we binned our boxed sets after the free month expired.  STO felt like it was only 25% complete and still in early beta.

Originally posted by Mendel

And Bren, can you please append '&&(enchanter==dismounted)' to your signature?

Off Topic: Can't do it. It's a While Loop for beating a dead horse with no exit condition as it is which is kinda the point. Beating a dead horse seldom ends on this website. Just look at all of the 'WoW Clone' posts for a really good example. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

F2P or P2P this isn't one I'd touch unless it released and was getting decent reviews. I gave Cryptic the benefit of the doubt with ST:O after the let down CO was and am not willing to do so again, especially now they are under the wing of one of my least liked companies, PW.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Just make sure the enchanter is off the dead horse before the beating commenses.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

For me and the vast majority of the MMO community. Their falling Sub numbers and need to go F2P on both games now to survive speaks volumes. Hey, but I'm glad you like them. I found CO to be fun for about a month, STO for about two weeks. That isn't enough however to keep a P2P game going though and Cryptic has realized this. Will that realization effect the development of Neverwinter? I doubt it.

Bren

And I'm sure you got the hard numbers to prove it? And no the community here at MMORPG.com doesn't count, I see them as a big pool of whiners. As that is 90% of the activity here anyway, and just like you and me all are biased towards something.

Also both games that I have installed from Cryptic run smoothly and without any big problems on my pc, not like some other games that I have installed and those are still P2P. The biggest problem is the mindset of a lot of people: F2P = crappy game. And yes I looked at that earlier likewise, but not after what I have seen recently with LOTRO, DDO, CO, and a few others.

At least the developers have the balls to try out some new payment models, and guess what if I look at their financial reports I see they all reap from that move. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot more games followed that model as P2P is a method of the past if you ask me, but will have long dieing period.

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Originally posted by Bhazir

For me and the vast majority of the MMO community. Their falling Sub numbers and need to go F2P on both games now to survive speaks volumes. Hey, but I'm glad you like them. I found CO to be fun for about a month, STO for about two weeks. That isn't enough however to keep a P2P game going though and Cryptic has realized this. Will that realization effect the development of Neverwinter? I doubt it.

Bren

And I'm sure you got the hard numbers to prove it? And no the community here at MMORPG.com doesn't count, I see them as a big pool of whiners. As that is 90% of the activity here anyway, and just like you and me all are biased towards something.

Also both games that I have installed from Cryptic run smoothly and without any big problems on my pc, not like some other games that I have installed and those are still P2P. The biggest problem is the mindset of a lot of people: F2P = crappy game. And yes I looked at that earlier likewise, but not after what I have seen recently with LOTRO, DDO, CO, and a few others.

At least the developers have the balls to try out some new payment models, and guess what if I look at their financial reports I see they all reap from that move. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot more games followed that model as P2P is a method of the past if you ask me, but will have long dieing period.

Oh come on. STO has very low population despite selling quite a bit of boxes at premiere. That's count for soemthing right?

Game had one of worst business models I know - P2P with P2W store.

STO has still many problems , like Academies are totally empty places after putting alot of it's design. Ground combat is still very very bad. +many other things.

Business model for STO does not matter , it is awful p2p game and will be awful f2p game.

Glad you like this game ,but this game is fail both in terms of gameplay and commercially.

Originally posted by Bhazir

Bren

As I said before if you enjoy them more power to you. I do however find it odd that someone who plays EVE Online would get enjoyment out of two games with less depth than your average teaspoon.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am thinking that by free to play, they really meant no sub fee.  It is listed on Amazon for 49.99 I think someone linked on the official forums.  So it is really B2P, like GW2.

• patient32patient32 Member UncommonPosts: 96

As I've said before in another post.... It makes me upset when I think about Cryptic touching Neverwinter Nights with their filth. I can't help but imagine the Forgotten Realms cowering in a bathroom with the door closed as Cryptic whacks away at the door with an axe, while standing over the corpse of Star Trek Online, before poking it's face through the tattered door and yelling "HEEEEEEREEEEE'S CRYPTIC!!!!!"

"It's like a finger pointing away to the moon... Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all the heavenly glory" (Bruce Lee)

(Insert your favourite mmo here): ......And behold, a pale horse.... And a million hellishly bad mmos followed with it.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ok i am confused?
    neverwinter night 1!
    neverwinter night 2!
    and all ads i can think of!
    were all buy 2 play!
    the rest was free(atari)
    been around forever,probably still played since user can add their own content(as long as atari give autorisation)
    so what has changed?or is it the next neverwinter night?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by lectrocuda
    http://www.playneverwinter.com/gallery

are these real?

ty for posting this so they are making a new game callled neverwinter as a mmo?
    nice!wonder if player will still be able to make their own content and publish it online like
    atari has been doing for years with nw1,nw2!