Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I got a question about Guild Wars

chicken3000chicken3000 Member Posts: 8

The reason I like WoW more than GW at the moment, is because after my friend let me play it a little, and I watched him a little, I don't see too much content in GW (don't go nuts, I'll explain)

First of all, I may be mistaken, because I haven't seen too much of it... But it seems there isn't enough stuff to do in GW. Basically, what I'm asking here- Is there anything else to look foward to in the game besides quests, new spells, new weapons, and higher levels? I'm wondering, because according to a couple of reviews I read, there isn't any of those types of features to look forward to, ie in WoW- Mounts, new instances, etc. And I also read that there aren't auction houses, professions to create your own items, etc

If someone can tell me what I can look foward to further into the game, it may convince me to buy it, (as I was until I thought about it) I would appreciate it.

Comments

• chicken3000chicken3000 Member Posts: 8

heh... so I guess there isn't something to look foward to judging by the fact that the post was made 2 days ago and no one responded....image

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by chicken3000

First of all, I may be mistaken, because I haven't seen too much of it... But it seems there isn't enough stuff to do in GW. Basically, what I'm asking here- Is there anything else to look foward to in the game besides quests, new spells, new weapons, and higher levels? I'm wondering, because according to a couple of reviews I read, there isn't any of those types of features to look forward to, ie in WoW- Mounts, new instances, etc. And I also read that there aren't auction houses, professions to create your own items, etc.

are auction houses 'fun'? are mounts 'fun'? is creating your own items 'fun'?

if you do find those things fun there are far better games to play than WoW, if you don't then GW is right for you. It's story based PvE and team based PvP, a concentrated experience. It doesn't and probably won't have mounts, an auction system would please some players but i havent seen any indication whether one will be added, on a PvP premade you pretty much do create your own items, but only if you have unlocked the components in PvE or won them via PvP.

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• chicken3000chicken3000 Member Posts: 8

That doesn't really answer my question... I know what GW is about, I'm wondering what there is to look foward to further in the game in terms of content.

And to respond to your opinion, YES, mounts/AH/player-crafted items are an enjoyable expirence. First of all, the mounts are fun, because of a few reasons in my opinion. One, its just fun to be able to breeze through the world at a faster pace. Second, the variation between all the mounts is cool, and they all look pretty cool. Third, it shows a good accomplishment in the game, so its cool to even brag to your lower-lvl friends that you've got one.

Then Auction House. Well, I guess its true that they aren't "fun", but they make the game a lot better (and convienent), as it makes it easier to make money then selling your equipment to an NPC, or BUY equipment from an NPC. (better stuff + lower price)

Then, the Professions. These are A LOT of fun in my opinion. It just, adds a lot to do. I mean, you get all the supplies needed for the item your creating, use whatever equipment you need (ie anvil, skinning knife, etc), and you just get to make a bunch of cool stuff. Like Engineering, you can make goggles only engeneers can use, or dynimight. Or other professions that you can make exclusive armor/weapons/potions, etc.

Maybe you don't think its fun, but I personally do, and I'm sure theres some people who agree

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

if you dont have anything to do in guild wars , try these :

- Press M , and look for places you didnt explore yet ...

- Help newbies in missions and quests , gives you some looting and a nice walk in the park , and most important you meet people that might be usefull in the future.

- Go to temple of the ages and see if you have favor , if you do ,party on to UW or Fissure , if no favor , put your ass in tombs and get the FAVOR OF GODS back !

- Go farm in hells percipice.

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

That doesn't really answer my question... I know what GW is about, I'm wondering what there is to look foward to further in the game in terms of content.
    And to respond to your opinion, YES, mounts/AH/player-crafted items are an enjoyable expirence. First of all, the mounts are fun, because of a few reasons in my opinion. One, its just fun to be able to breeze through the world at a faster pace. Second, the variation between all the mounts is cool, and they all look pretty cool. Third, it shows a good accomplishment in the game, so its cool to even brag to your lower-lvl friends that you've got one.
    Then Auction House. Well, I guess its true that they aren't "fun", but they make the game a lot better (and convienent), as it makes it easier to make money then selling your equipment to an NPC, or BUY equipment from an NPC. (better stuff + lower price)
    Then, the Professions. These are A LOT of fun in my opinion. It just, adds a lot to do. I mean, you get all the supplies needed for the item your creating, use whatever equipment you need (ie anvil, skinning knife, etc), and you just get to make a bunch of cool stuff. Like Engineering, you can make goggles only engeneers can use, or dynimight. Or other professions that you can make exclusive armor/weapons/potions, etc.
    Maybe you don't think its fun, but I personally do, and I'm sure theres some people who agree

judging by that post, i'd say no, GW is not what you are looking for. It is not an EQ/WoW style MMORPG. All additional content centres around either PvE or PvP combat.

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• gunnythokgunnythok Member Posts: 268
    chicken3000, you are trying to compare apples and oranges.  WoW is an mmorpg and is constructed accordingly to that type of game where you have non-combat roles in the game.  GW is a corpg that relies on combat as the primary and only form of gameplay.  Mmorpgs are consistant worlds, corpgs like GW are instanced worlds.  You can't compare one to another just because they're constructed in completely different ways.  So anyway, you want an mmo by the sound of it, so I wouldn't suggest GW in place of an mmo as I made that mistake during the time I was away from SWG.  If you like heartpounding PvP then get guildwars. 
  • Co2oCo2o Member Posts: 40

Are you in a good guild ? If not, try joining one. It makes a difference to have some people help you out when you need it and share some information.

Like someone said, have a look at Underworld and Fissure of Woe in Temple of Ages. These area can take a awfull lot of time to complete and are hard as hell and that's when you're level 20 with the max armor, an awesome weapon and with all skills or most of them.

If you've completed Underworld and Fissure a couple of times and you're getting bored at them, have a look at the different PvP zones. They are really funny to play and might make you addicted to them. PvP is the holy grail in Guild Wars. That might give you an answer as to why is the game called "Guild Wars". There are Ascalon Arena, Competition Arenas, Tomb of Primeval Kings, Team Arenas and finaly the Guild Hall where you can try some good PvP.

If you haven't completed all the mission, try to do them all. There are still many mission after you've reached level 20. If you want an extra challenge, try to complete all the bonus too ::::01::.

If you've done all this, you might want to unlock your different secondary professions with your character. They can be unlock once you've acsended and done the different path quest. If you want more, you can still create additional charaters with the different primary professions. I'm at this point right now ::::31::. I'm working on my monk character to help my guild in the different PvP battles that we do.

Anyway, there are a lot of stuff to do in this game. I hope you can find something you like.

• Cold_HawKCold_HawK Member Posts: 29

And to respond to your opinion, YES, mounts/AH/player-crafted items are an enjoyable expirence. First of all, the mounts are fun, because of a few reasons in my opinion. One, its just fun to be able to breeze through the world at a faster pace. Second, the variation between all the mounts is cool, and they all look pretty cool. Third, it shows a good accomplishment in the game, so its cool to even brag to your lower-lvl friends that you've got one.
    Then Auction House. Well, I guess its true that they aren't "fun", but they make the game a lot better (and convienent), as it makes it easier to make money then selling your equipment to an NPC, or BUY equipment from an NPC. (better stuff + lower price)
    Then, the Professions. These are A LOT of fun in my opinion. It just, adds a lot to do. I mean, you get all the supplies needed for the item your creating, use whatever equipment you need (ie anvil, skinning knife, etc), and you just get to make a bunch of cool stuff. Like Engineering, you can make goggles only engeneers can use, or dynimight. Or other professions that you can make exclusive armor/weapons/potions, etc.

I would agree that an auction house is useful, but the rest I wouldn't care if a MMORPG had or not. GW is NOT like other games, and it has aimed on something else. You need to max your level before you can experience everything in GW but luckily, it doesn't take too long to get to lvl 20. It sounds like WoW has got nothing special to it... It actually reminds me of SWG but a fantasy version. GW has completely new things to do that a game never had before.

So after you have maxxed your level, get your ass moving and explore the places you yet haven't and try to unlock all of the skills and items. You can also start GvGing by buying a Guild House, or just start PvPing if you are satisfied with the items and skills you have unlocked.