Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To Rift or not...Interested but not sure.

sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58

So my main concern with Rift, is I'm wondering how solo'able it is? Obviously it's an MMO and I plan on making friends in game and playing with them but my work schedule is all over the map and sometimes I like to just log in, solo for a bit before I'm off to bed or work. I've heard that after a certain level most of the quests you get are all group quests, is this true or is it possible for a solo player to level and quest?

I realize there is a trial but I'm more concerned about the later levels. I'm sure in the beginning, as with most MMO's, leveling and questing solo is no problem but I don't want to get invested if it's going to turn out to be one that forces you to group up.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Comments

• renaldarerenaldare Member Posts: 20

I have been playing since launch and having a blast. I also solo alot. So far ive tried each class up to 20th. After that i have been running my mage, she is currently 36. I have not done any of the dungeons yet. I am a very casual player and some weeks I dont play. So far i have only had to skip a few group quests. I am mostly having fun exploring the world and looking out for artifacts and the quests help guide you for this. The rifts are great fun and some nights I start doing one and end up in a raid. Before I know it a couple hours have gone by and I have leveled.

• ThunderballsThunderballs Member Posts: 365

This game isnt remotely worth "investing" in.

It is dead in the water and whilst you will probably get a few weeks fun out of it, thats's it.

So don't worry about anything past the first free month.

If 1 month of play is good enough value for the box price play it.  

Caveat Emptor

• RideponiesRideponies Member Posts: 4

For your question of can you solo, the answer is yes. You can have upto 4 roles ( 4 different specs) some solo better then others but most can solo. i was soloing when i hit 50. After 50 you can solo to get faction and such, and even crafting solo a bit, but for most past 50 you will need to get in a group.

Been playing for 2 months or so and its a well rounded game with alot of nifty features, and the game to me is very fun to play. Most of the community doesnt mind answering questions, you will alway catch a troll or two though, like in most MMO's. currently its on sale i would say $4 for 30 days of play cant be beat even if you dont like it in the end.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

You can solo right to the level cap.  Some soul combinations are much easier to solo with than others, but all classes can solo well. 

Of course then, at the cap, you are going to need to group for dungeon runs ro get gear, group to raid to get gear, ect.  But its no different from most other games really.

The game is solid, I just didnt care for the art style or setting.  It will be interesting, however, how it does after GW2 and TOR are released.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

They are promising a lot of soloable end-game content as well. They already have an epic questline that is mostly, but not entirely, soloable for level 50's. They plan to introduce a lot more starting with patch 1.5 at the end of September. Whether or not the game becomes something that solo players can truly enjoy after level 50 has yet to be seen.

Currently, though, it is very soloable up to level 50 and hopping into a warfront for pvp is fast and easy if your time is limited.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• sharpshadesharpshade Member UncommonPosts: 58

Wow thank you all so much for your responses! I'm actually very happy to know that you're not forced to group or only get "group quests" beyond a certain level and that, if need be, you can solo to level cap. I've watched a few gameplay videos and visually it appeals to me but your responses have helped me make the decision to give Rift a go. I just so happen to have a long weekend coming up so this will be alot of fun!

Again, thank you so much for all the help. The MMORPG.com community is awesome!! 

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by sharpshade

Wow thank you all so much for your responses! I'm actually very happy to know that you're not forced to group or only get "group quests" beyond a certain level and that, if need be, you can solo to level cap. I've watched a few gameplay videos and visually it appeals to me but your responses have helped me make the decision to give Rift a go. I just so happen to have a long weekend coming up so this will be alot of fun!

Again, thank you so much for all the help. The MMORPG.com community is awesome!! 

I have soloed sortof* all the way to level cap without doing many dungeons on one character. Reason was, I just enjoyed the open world PvP too much and didnt want to be anywhere I couldnt attack (or be attacked).

I say sortof, because you can 'public group' very easily, so while I say solo, what i mean is i went to areas I wanted grinding or questing or rifting and I would join anyone in the area. But I rarely went anywhere else with them unless they were guildies. I only did dungeons with guildies.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

I advise u not to rift and wait.A lot of cool mmo betas coming and u dont want to spent time on mmos that does not worth it.

If it's for 10 euro go and buy it and see for your self.Anything more than 15 e does not worth it

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

I just bought it, not $4 for a month. It's $4 for the game, then $14.99 for a month so $20.00 altogether(really only saving about 4 dollars from the normal price, not sure why is shows 50% less.. marketing scheme). However not upset, I knew this when I bought it(Trion shows it before final purchase). But 5 bucks saved is 5 bucks.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• SoltekSoltek Member Posts: 29

Rift try's to cater to all types of players, so there is all types of content. There's probably more solo content then anything else, just realize there is non-solo content as well but you don't have to do to. The public group system is still a lot like soloing because you don't have to talk or strategize with group members, you can just win with numbers and it keeps the monotony of questing from getting to boring. This makes me wonder how this will work after the newness wares off and there's only high level players like the older mmo's. With that said, none of the content is anything to write home about. Trying to please everyone makes for mediocre game play in what ever type of game you prefer. But it is fun for awhile and I do think you get your money's worth of entertainment. Unless your the type of person that thinks his time invested in playing games is worth something.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

You can solo from level 1 to level 50. You will have to skip some of the dungeon content if you don't want to pug, which will mean skipping some quest lines.

Once you hit max level, in order to progress your character's gear, you'll need to Raid, which I don't think is a pug activity. You'd have to join a guild. That it, until the solo friendly expansion hits.

A planned update for Rift is a solo raid style content. You can get gear that is nearly comparable with the full on raid gear (but not as good) along with one or two best in slot pieces. Once that patch is live, even Rift's end game will be a pretty solo friendly thing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So my main concern with Rift, is I'm wondering how solo'able it is? Obviously it's an MMO and I plan on making friends in game and playing with them but my work schedule is all over the map and sometimes I like to just log in, solo for a bit before I'm off to bed or work. I've heard that after a certain level most of the quests you get are all group quests, is this true or is it possible for a solo player to level and quest?

I realize there is a trial but I'm more concerned about the later levels. I'm sure in the beginning, as with most MMO's, leveling and questing solo is no problem but I don't want to get invested if it's going to turn out to be one that forces you to group up.

You can solo until you reach max level, the tricky part is after that. Much like most other MMOs.

If that sounds fine, do the free trial to see if you like the feeling of the game, if you do buy it.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Once you hit max level, in order to progress your character's gear, you'll need to Raid, which I don't think is a pug activity. You'd have to join a guild. That it, until the solo friendly expansion hits.

PUG raids are not that uncommon, even if they have a rather high fail percentage...

Or he could just learn to know a guild and get invited but I think OP isn't interested in group activity, guild or not.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Loke666

PUG raids are not that uncommon, even if they have a rather high fail percentage...
    Or he could just learn to know a guild and get invited but I think OP isn't interested in group activity, guild or not.

For now, that is pretty much it. I stopped playing because I'm just not that into raiding. It appears they are testing the max level solo content starting tonight though, so it may be very soon that the solo and duo raid is live. I have no idea how far that will take you time wise, or if they'll add more of them. It'll probably depend on the reception it gets.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

For now, that is pretty much it. I stopped playing because I'm just not that into raiding. It appears they are testing the max level solo content starting tonight though, so it may be very soon that the solo and duo raid is live. I have no idea how far that will take you time wise, or if they'll add more of them. It'll probably depend on the reception it gets.

I think it will take a long time to actually add a good solo endgame,

It is of course the next logial addition to the classic model, soloplayers play as much as group players and to have loads of content for them before max level and nothing at all after makes no sense whatsoever.

But I think you probably should wait a while until they have added enough of it.  :)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It's similar to WoW.  Most if not all main area quests are soloable; dungeons are not. 

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

Leveling is fun. Endgame is the usual PvP/Instance grind.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Loke666

I think it will take a long time to actually add a good solo endgame,

It is of course the next logial addition to the classic model, soloplayers play as much as group players and to have loads of content for them before max level and nothing at all after makes no sense whatsoever.

But I think you probably should wait a while until they have added enough of it.  :)

I dont know about having 'no content' for solo players.  Dailies may not be very exciting, but WoW actually has a pretty large variety of them and you can get some decent gear through them.

Here is where Trion will have a tough time with the solo instances.  How do you avoid one of these 2 scenarios?

1.  Solo gear as good as group gear.  There are now even less people to group with because there is no incentive to group other than if you enjoy the mechanic, and those that do will find it even harder to do so than it already is

2.  Solo gear is not as good as group gear.  WAAAAAAAAAAH you need to group to get the good gear

#2 happens all the time, even in this very thread.  People complain that in order to progress your gear you need to raid, while ignoring the fact that if you dont raid you have no use for raid gear

• PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266

Was fun at first but I quit at level 36 or so due to boredom. Too much repetive grinding and too much of a solo game. I preferred EQ's group scene for sure, my great  mmorpg memories are groups and raids and you pretty much cannot find a pickup group in Rift.

• manny702manny702 Member Posts: 13

i now this will get me flamed but i found rift pretty boring to tell u the truth the combon for melee at least doesnt even get fast at all till after 20 or so even then its still just slow and boring the armor even at max level still looks like shyt to me at least and well yes the PVE is alright now bad alot of quest but most are realy kinda boring same thing over and over go kill this and that and then rifting is fun and also the PVP really isnt as fun as i thought its more of secondary thing in the game but to me i give rift a 7/10 to be fair and well thats my opinon the game kinda blows and gets boring after a while.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Like everyone here has stated, yes you can solo. I've been playing 2-3 months and have 4 level 50 and 2 level 45 toons, all of them solo or duo with my wife.

Leveling is FAR too fast and easy in this game and frankly Rift has become just something to do while we wait for GW2.

It's not a bad game, it's just lacking... something. To paraphrase from "Jaws", "Sometimes that RIFT he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about RIFT... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes."

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Rift is very soloable.  I don't know who's telling you that most of the quest you get after a certain level are group only.  There's only one zone that really turns into primarily group content at some point.