Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play details released-Klingons unlocked at level 25 now.

So, today, Cryptic unveiled it's f2p matrix (subject to change) which discusses probably almost everything one needs to know about the pricing and what players have access to.

http://startrekonline.com/f2p

Do you feel that restricting access to Klingons till level 25 was a smart move?  Do you agree with the explanation given by Cryptic?

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Inventory limits aside, that actually looks usable.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • PogmahonePogmahone Member Posts: 22

Stay away from this game

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

This is not a good Star Trek game, it is a money hole.

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458
    I've always thought this game had plenty of potential, hopefully they will continue to develop it. Personally i'm glad to see this one go f2p, I think I could enjoy playing this on an ultra-casual basis.

Until SWTOR is released, of course :)
  • TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

I've always thought this game had plenty of potential, hopefully they will continue to develop it. Personally i'm glad to see this one go f2p, I think I could enjoy playing this on an ultra-casual basis. Until SWTOR is released, of course :)

I completely agree.

STO had potential...Cryptic failed to deliver in a MAJOR way though. BUT...as a casual fun MMO on the side, this isn't a bad deal. Going F2P is the only way I'd have ever reinstalled it...and I plan to reinstall it.

• WorfWorf Member Posts: 264

Why do they do the "BAIT and Switch" CRAP?

They seemed to indicate that this was going Free To Play immediately... So I wasted my time downloading and installing it.

Then today they say "sometime this year"... What in the heck? GIVE me a freaking date PLEASE!

>:(

P. S. I just want to see what the game looks like... I can't pay to play at this time!

• WorfWorf Member Posts: 264

Grummelig,

Thank you.

I will look into that.

Thankfully they cleared up the mess by saying "coming soon".

:D

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

I've always thought this game had plenty of potential, hopefully they will continue to develop it. Personally i'm glad to see this one go f2p, I think I could enjoy playing this on an ultra-casual basis. Until SWTOR is released, of course :)

I completely agree.

STO had potential...Cryptic failed to deliver in a MAJOR way though. BUT...as a casual fun MMO on the side, this isn't a bad deal. Going F2P is the only way I'd have ever reinstalled it...and I plan to reinstall it.

I'm sorry, but by it's very nature Star Trek is not a causual IP. Any Star Trek MMO that is said to be casual fails on every level simply because the IP is so deep and complex.

Any competent MMO development studio would have developed a Star Trek game that played to the strengths of the Star Trek IP and made a deep and engaging MMO. Instead we got a one dimensional "casual" game.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Although I think STO is a travesty and a waste of the Star Trek IP it does look like they might have learned their lesson with Champions Online at least a little bit. I really hope that they put a lot more a-la carte options in STO and CO...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by FleshMask

This is not a good Star Trek game, it is a money hole.

Are you a professional MMO player or a Star Trek fan?  because that makes a difference.

I didn't stick with STO after BETA because my Laptop can't handle it, and I'm wasn't willing to buy a new Computer just for 1 game.

I'm a little Lulzy that it went F2P less than 2 years from release....

But if you are just out for the "Newest Shiney MMO" stay away from STO.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Do you feel that restricting access to Klingons till level 25 was a smart move?  Do you agree with the explanation given by Cryptic?

Nope; they should have made them a choice at start, instead of unlockable at level x. Pushing the unlocking of Klingons to level 25 is just an attempt to hide the fact that the Klingon faction is still rather lacking.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by Xondar123

I'm sorry, but by it's very nature Star Trek is not a causual IP. Any Star Trek MMO that is said to be casual fails on every level simply because the IP is so deep and complex.

Any competent MMO development studio would have developed a Star Trek game that played to the strengths of the Star Trek IP and made a deep and engaging MMO. Instead we got a one dimensional "casual" game.

I find it ironic that Star Trek: Infinite Space looks like it may capture the feel of Star Trek far better than STO did.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

It's not cyptics fault that STO turned out the way it is.  Look at City of Heroes/Villians and Champions online, those are all cryptic's game and they're excellent.   They all rate an 8 on this site.  The sole blame lies with atari, they pushed for an early release, put a hiring freeze on cryptic and deprived them of resources.  Some of the devs said that a few times they had no coffee cups or coffee.

Originally posted by Mondo80

It's not cyptics fault that STO turned out the way it is.  Look at City of Heroes/Villians and Champions online, those are all cryptic's game and they're excellent.   They all rate an 8 on this site.  The sole blame lies with atari, they pushed for an early release, put a hiring freeze on cryptic and deprived them of resources.  Some of the devs said that a few times they had no coffee cups or coffee.

Incorrect. Take a look back at what Cryptic was saying before Atari bought them; they were going on about their ability to mass-produce AAA MMOs before Atari came on board. Atari merely held them to that promise. If you look back at CO's launch, you will see that it had many of the same complaints that STO had; chief among them was the lack of content. CO was able to turn things around quicker by having had more pre-launch development time than STO did. Atari made many blunders, chief among them buying Cryptic when they were trying to pull themselves out of debt, but STO is not soley Atari's fault. Cryptic promised everyone AAA MMO's, including Atari, when what they were really making were casual games.