Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Before I create a character...

Which class in your opinion is the best for soloing?  I do plan on grouping and what not but I prefer to level solo if I don't have a lot of time.

I enjoy casters as well as melee so either is fine but I do prefer something that can solo the hell out of stuff.

Comments

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

been a while since I played, but the runecaster was pretty good.  Not gonna find a "perfect" solo class, and I have no clue what you can buy for your classes these days (stopped playing when in became pay to win).

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

The two best that I've seen are Warden and Hunter.  Warden doesn't kill things very fast, but their surviveability is off the charts. And it's a pretty unique, fun class to play.  Hunters are great because they burn stuff down so quickly, and if you are looking to level fast, this is your best bet due to all the travel guides they get.  While other classes are having to take mounts from town to town while doing the epic quests, the hunter is one click away from almost anywhere in the world.  That mobility saves a ton of time.  

• ErzabetaErzabeta Member Posts: 14

For me the best solo classes are Champion and Burglar. Champion for his good armor/damage balance and the Burglar for his nasty damage and ability to stealth around enemies to get to objectives, bosses, etc.  The Burglar is a bit tougher, but once you figure them out they rock.

Honestly I've solo'd every class and find them all good once you learn to play them, but those two to me are by far the easiest.

Enjoy the game, it's a beuatiful piece of work.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

the single best soloable class in LotRO is the Warden. between the higer end damage, good defense, buffs and self heals through combos, you can solo a number of things that even a hunter wouldn't touch. ive played both, along with quite a few other classes. burglar is *fun*, perhaps the most intricate class out there. however, soloability drops hard after the intro area levels and doesn't get better till sometime in your late 20s early 30s. after that you just have to be strategic and willing to use a lot of abilities to get the job done. as i said a very complex class to play, but worth the effort.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Hunter

Runekeeper

Champion

Warden (can be complicated gambit wise)

Burg hmpf I wouldnt rate it but it is good at CC so can be somewhat effective.

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Solo + little time = Hunter. (Ranged DPS, Fast travel skills and CC skills makes this class the perfect fit for people with little time and wants to solo.)

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

My loremaster soloed very well.

Chamber of Chains
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

My main is a guardian and I have no issues with extra mobs piling on trying to eviscerate me.

I recall a play session, before lothlorien was fully added, when I was in one of those orc camps and the mobs kept spawning and I kept killing them. I think by the end of it I had 7 or 8 bodies at my feet.

but yeah, warden has amazing survivability but it takes a bit of skill to play it well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Blasphim
    been a while since I played, but the runecaster was pretty good.  Not gonna find a "perfect" solo class, and I have no clue what you can buy for your classes these days (stopped playing when in became pay to win).

yeah. i totally agree. i buy epic armor and weapons from the lotro store and run into pvp areas and just mow down the competition. oh, wait. u cant do that. all i can really buy r mounts and cosmetic stuff and xp boosts for lvl'ing and crafting. ohhhhhhhh, u mean buying tomes to add 10 to any stat so i can own u in arenas. wait....no areas. no real pvp. how is this pay to win again?

as far as the actual topic goes, my main is a hunter but i have to say the guardian is truely a beast to solo.

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109
    I always find the best solo classes to be which type I actually enjoy playing the most. That normally is not the class that is the "best" at solo gameplay. I would say Captain today but perhaps Burg/Loremater/Mini/RK tomorrow. There is no best class/class to play in any form. It is all up to which you enjoy and what mood you are in.

Originally posted by silverreign

yeah. i totally agree. i buy epic armor and weapons from the lotro store and run into pvp areas and just mow down the competition. oh, wait. u cant do that. all i can really buy r mounts and cosmetic stuff and xp boosts for lvl'ing and crafting. ohhhhhhhh, u mean buying tomes to add 10 to any stat so i can own u in arenas. wait....no areas. no real pvp. how is this pay to win again?

as far as the actual topic goes, my main is a hunter but i have to say the guardian is truely a beast to solo.

You mean they took out monster play as well?  You mean you don't have to earn your virtues and stats the way that  was originallly intended.  You mean that I can't buy my way to all the top end gear and equip and not have to earn them?  Yes I call that pay to win.

However, my main was a hunter as well, and I had a guard and rk alts, all three were pretty good for solo play, I just recall the rk having a bit of a better go at it.  Although I pulled off some pretty cool shit with my guard, and most things were dead before I had to worry about pulling off anything cool with my hunter.

• UrzaElentUrzaElent Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by thafireball

Which class in your opinion is the best for soloing?  I do plan on grouping and what not but I prefer to level solo if I don't have a lot of time.

I enjoy casters as well as melee so either is fine but I do prefer something that can solo the hell out of stuff.

When it comes down to it I'd always lean more towards what I like to play more than "Oh this has X more dps, etc, etc" or who can solo better than others. Frankly, I've played all the classes in Lotro other than the Lore Master and found them all pretty simple to solo if you just learn them well. Are some a little bit easier in some cases, yea. It all depends.

With Rune Keepers you get heals, cc, and some major dps. And just like with all healing classes its usually a tad easier to find groups when you want to.

Wardens are cool but can be a little challanging once you start getting all kinds of gambits. Best and only piece of advice here is practice makes perfect. Just keep spamming those things till you memorize them.

Guards are nice for a few reasons. First they get the heavy armour which helps alot. Second being that depending on which stance they are in they can either go for some aoe dmg with a little self healing to help if things get kinda hairy. Or they can use the overpower stance (which I happen to use whenever I solo) to do some massive freaking dmg, like 2 shotting things my lvl kinda dmg almost. The nice thing about the guards is that they can switch stances and even weapons mid fight. So if you start out a fight in OP stance and you get some added mobs you werent planning on you can always switch over stances and to sword and board, get some added armour going and few heals in, and then switch right back. And just like healers, tanks always seem to be in more demand than pure dps.

In the end though it should always be about what you think you are going to like to play though.

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

When it comes to playing solo PVE, a human warden is arguably the best in that they combine very good survivability with self-healing, decent DPS, limited stealth and a selection of fast travel powers. They fill the tank role. It can be a bit difficult to learn gambits (a sequence of attacks that generate a special move) at first but you’ll use them enough that they become second nature with time. They are good tanking in small groups (3 mans in particular) but not so great in larger groups because their gambits are slow to build.

This also works against them a bit in PVP because unlike a NPC mob you can’t expect other players to sit still while you build a gambit. However, they are still formidable, particularly one on one.

For crafting, I’d consider being an explorer as this is your first character. It would let you make money off the auction house by selling metal ingots, wood planks, and prepared leathers, while making your own armor to wear.

One thing that makes  the warden feel so much superior to others solo is simply that you always feel like you have options, just be ready to plan six seconds ahead.

Hunters are a solid second choice. They can level rapidly but are squishie and will not be able to solo some encounters a warden would consider a breeze...

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Originally posted by blazin-ace

Hunters are a solid second choice. They can level rapidly but are squishie and will not be able to solo some encounters a warden would consider a breeze...

I'll have to disagree with this.

My hunter rarely dies when soloing even against elites as i can simply stun, root or make them run away for a few seconds then heal myself using items or a 1000-3000 heal. After that i'll take distance, slow them down and use my extra speed + extra dmg skills to kill them easily.

Using a hunter also saves you time on Epic quests since even tho Wardens has some fast travel skills, they don't have the same amount of skills as hunter and when doing the Epic quests in angmar, you really need them.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

i like fast BAM BAM classes..so i enjoy playing my rune-keeper most..though loremaster and warden are awesome to.

mostly heard hunters and guardians where best..but weah...the difference is never THAT big and if you have fun any class can be nice soloing:P

btw..the guy proclaiming pay to win..u clearly dont play lotro so dont go commenting here if you dont know anything...stat tomes arent that much difference..only slight and can also be found by any other player who doesnt wanna spend money or bought from auctionhouse...further..you cant buy gear at store..so get rid of that idea to..and the monsterplay at start was VIP only..now itll be for everyone...yes, you can buy more monster classes..but who cares? only people who really want something else then reaver (reaver will still be balanced compared to other monster classes) will do that, but noones forcing you to buy or else you wont have fun..thats yust an dumb idea :P

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

Warden is the king of solo survivability, by a large margin. No other class can solo a tyrant in the moors, only other one that might be able to manage it is a Guardian with the right LI legacies. Just take a look at the Warden forums, there's a list of Warden solo accomplishments.

If you're looking for the fastest solo though, that would be the hunter. You will breeze through the levels on a hunter, but there is really no contest between hunter and warden on survivability. Hunter wouldn't even be able to solo the first boss in the Grand Stair, a rather minor feat for a Warden.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

warden and hunter

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

You mean they took out monster play as well? Yeah, you have to pay for that, Guess my tricked out 65 GRD is worthless because I don't have a creep   You mean you don't have to earn your virtues and stats the way that  was originallly intended. Oh you mean like me spending an hour to grind out a deed or 2 , because it's far cheaper and simplier to do then buying them? I've never met anyone who bought a Virtue yet. I will admit to using some of my free Tp to buy +10 Vit on my GRD, Didn't do anything stopped there.  You mean that I can't buy my way to all the top end gear and equip and not have to earn them? Yeah, that fisherman cosmetic gear set. Have you seen the bonuses on that, over 9000 added to awesomeness factor.  Yes I call that pay to win. So uh sure pay to win all the way...image

However, my main was a hunter as well, and I had a guard and rk alts, all three were pretty good for solo play, I just recall the rk having a bit of a better go at it.  Although I pulled off some pretty cool shit with my guard, and most things were dead before I had to worry about pulling off anything cool with my hunter.

Now to the OP's question. Basically every class has 3 trait trees, Pretty much one of them will be there for you to be able to solo in some way. Some classes do have dead spots where the soloing just sucks but overall its pretty balanced overall.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Minstral has always been good for myself. Want to slay through hordes of orcs? Pop glowing hands. Tough fight coming up? pop it off and do solid damage and keep yourself alive almost indefinetly.

Make it so...

• StormwindStormwind Member Posts: 60

I  had a max HUNTER when I quit the game when Play to Win came into the game ..

I could rock anything in da house and in Raids we had hunter teams that kept the adds off while others melted down the bad guys .. Hunter Root for the win ..

Just Try out the Hunter class for 5 levels .. you can always roll again  and get to 5 in 30 min.

Look to the stars to know HE is with us. HE hung them as markers, of times and of seasons.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

To answer the OP I do well with Captain having my hench and limited heals, but do have to group in many cases.

Let's be 100% honest here. They have to make money somehow, if the subscription base isn't there, they can't go 100% F2P with no possibility of paying the bills. F2P with cash shop is the best thing they've done with the game in my opinion. (I have a Lifetime VIP and a F2P account, and do not spend money on either thus far) 

This game is NOT pay to win. The enhanced xp scroll, when you truly examine what it does, gives the player basically 'unearned' rested experience, that's it, who cares if someone pays money for that, or uses their free VIP points on it. For all intent and purposes, the player could just camp a character in town for a long time and accomplish the same thing free and it would be no different than paying for it, other than it gives turbine some much needed money if they pay for it.

Daily Task resets, increasing the task limit, unlocking traveling, etc Not pay to win either.

Cosmetic items, mounts, and crafting recipes definitely not pay to win, but I can see some people grumble about earning Festival mounts vs paying for them, or hurting the in game economy by offering  recipes on the store, but I say to each their own.

There are items that speed up the deed/trait grind, for a limited time. I don't consider that pay to win. It might not be 'doing it the good ole way' but obviously a lot of people hated the good ole way.

I can see where you might think that buying the trait increase, or even stat increases is pay to win, but in a game that is better than 90% PVE how does it hurt you that someone else improved their characters stats/traits through the store?

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

lets all say this again..lotro aint P2Win...you cant buy gear, you can find all buffs they sell on AH or instances to..so why complain when a guy has an bigger horse then you after he spent 20 euros?

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED

Just to be clear, I liked lotro...well okay I liked the idea of a world based on Tolkiens work, and thought that Turbine did a damn fine job in it's rendering of said world.  I mean the shire in itself is so damn detailed it's almost jaw droppin.  Now my definition of pay to win is obviously not yours.  To me, any time you can buy with real money that which grants you a bonus to your character in game is paying to win.  Being able to buy virtues and stat's to me, is paying to win.  Buying cosmetic items, have at it, buying mounts, all you my friend, buying things that at one time were simply just part of the game...all part of the f2p model I guess. Buying any sort of improvement, non cosmetic wise, that affects the abilities of your charcter, without having to earn them via in game questing and or grinding...to me, that's pay to win.  Before you jump like rabid dogs, from what I understand, yes you can still earn them the original way, but the fact that they give you that option to not have to, kinda says pay to win to me.

I am not saying that it's a bad game, I understand that Turbine is looking to squeeze all bits and coin out of it that it can, and I hope that they can pull off a game worthy of my coin again, it just won't be lotro anytime soon.  That's not to say that lotro is not worth a whirl,  I had some really fun times in that game.  Playing "The Anvil of Crom" with my brother in law via abc files in the AH in Bree was always good for some applause.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by Stormwind

I  had a max HUNTER when I quit the game when Play to Win came into the game ..

I could rock anything in da house and in Raids we had hunter teams that kept the adds off while others melted down the bad guys .. Hunter Root for the win ..

Just Try out the Hunter class for 5 levels .. you can always roll again  and get to 5 in 30 min.

Clueless much ? The shop gives no gameplay advantages at all, it enables you to save time on grinds and get some stuff done faster, but what your saying is so far from the truth you should be ashamed of trying to mislead people like that.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by silverreign

You mean they took out monster play as well?  You mean you don't have to earn your virtues and stats the way that  was originallly intended.  You mean that I can't buy my way to all the top end gear and equip and not have to earn them?  Yes I call that pay to win.

if u can buy the top end gear, please let me know. my credit card is standing by.