Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RoboAwesome's look at Sandboxes vs Theme Parks

ArcaSpiffArcaSpiff Member UncommonPosts: 99

http://www.roboawesome.com/?p=19663

Jessie is pissed off with these wacky unwarranted titles given to MMO's. Feel his pain as he discusses with you just how he feels.

After watching the video, which will you choose?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"This is very confusing to me because these two descriptions don't tell you anything about the game at all. In fact, one of them is actually insulting to the genre. Sandbox."

Droning voice, lack of knowledge of his topic and feeble attempt at being funny. He's evidently been doing this for over a year, and the new videos are just as poorly narrated and created as the original ones. Normally, I won't crap on other people's YouTube vids (I've churned out several atrocities myself) but this was just plain horrible, from content to execution.

The URL looked like a referral link so I almost didn't click it. Such are the hazards of not going with my first impression.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Well this was a total waste of my time.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

yeah the guy clearly has issues with wasps that are distorting his understanding of the genre's

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Problem with internet is that it gives voice to everybody.

Yeah even me.

• ArcaSpiffArcaSpiff Member UncommonPosts: 99
    if you paid attention, you'd realize that the video is about how silly labels are. Labeling mmorpgs as one thing or the other is just as bad as calling them clones.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by ArcaSpiff

if you paid attention, you'd realize that the video is about how silly labels are. Labeling mmorpgs as one thing or the other is just as bad as calling them clones.

Themeparks are pre-made fun (rides).  Sandboxes are make-your-own-fun. 

Dev authorship vs. player authorship.

Very straightforward, and clear definitions of how the major types of MMORPGs work.

If the author had first exhibited understanding of what these sub-genre terms mean -- and then disagreed with their use -- we as viewers may have followed along.  Possibly even agreed with him.

...instead the author just exhibits a lack of knowledge and a bee phobia, and we turn the video off before it ends because it's worse than forum rants here on MMORPG.com (where we don't have to hear each others' monotones and/or lisps ;) )

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Oh really? what about  labelling games as MMORPG's or FPS's? These are labels too, i guess it's stupid and we should just call all the games games. The terms sanbox and themepark are simply used as a way to classify two sub "genres" of MMO's. Just like RTS and FPS is used to classify two genres of games.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Sorry but that video rant showed absolutely zero knowledge of the subject matter and was a pointless waste of time to watch. I also think labels are kinda silly but this guy missed the mark by about a thousand miles.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I paid attention. It's not that I "didn't realize" some zen or philosophical aspect to the video. A short word or phrase descriptive of a person, group, intellectual movement, etc is helpful to have when one wishes to quickly convey what something is basically like.

"Pancreas Online just went into OB. You playing?"

"How is it?"

"Mostly sandbox, some quests."

"Nah, more into themepark MMOs myself."

Seems rather clear and straightforward to me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ArcaSpiffArcaSpiff Member UncommonPosts: 99

i obviously know the difference between these two labels and what they attempt to describe, however it was obviously satire. I mean, given the information strictly on the video alone, and not preconcieved notions, a theme park is in fact the more ideal location for fun than a sandbox, strictly in the terms outlined in the video. Ultimately, it had very little to do with MMOs, just as Spaceballs has little to do with Star Wars.

This discussion has been closed.