Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What TTH has to say about GW2 PVP after playing it at PAX

12346»

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by ninjinkai506

Hi. I followed the two links you posted, just out of curiosity, and saw that SW:TOR has some awesome numbers, but I did not actually see any numbers for GW2. Maybe I read it wrong, but I'm not seeing how "these statistics say otherwise". I also didn't see any numbers for WoW, just SW:TOR, StarWars.com, Champions-Online, STO, and swcombine.com. Also, out of these numbers, how would someone be able to identify the WoW players? Just curious.

Heh. Apparently that site doesn't allow you to compare sites in 1 graph anymore, except if you subscribe to a PRO account. WoW, that's fast, a change within 5 days image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by thedarkess

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/guildwars2.com/

92k visitors.

Excellent trend line from January. I think that's a very good sign. GW2 is still flying beneath the radar of a lot of PC gamers. Star Wars is Star Wars and you know that it's going to have a huge advantage in attracting attention.

Star Wars Galaxies proved that while the i.p. will get people in the door, the game still has to work at keeping people there. I have every expectation that TOR will be a step up from most current games in the genre. If that's the case, it should be pretty successful. IMO, GW2 has huge potential to explode into the genre, based on it's innovative approach to providing content for players and other nice elements that address what many players have been saying they want the new generation of titles.

If GW2 is as good as I hope and Dynamic Events really work, this is a game that could see continuing long term growth, rather than being a flash in the pan. WoW didn't hit 12 million subs over night. It was a fairly steady trend line of growth that built it's phenominal success. I see that same potential with GW2.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

If GW2 is as good as I hope and Dynamic Events really work, this is a game that could see continuing long term growth, rather than being a flash in the pan. WoW didn't hit 12 million subs over night. It was a fairly steady trend line of growth that built it's phenominal success. I see that same potential with GW2.

One of the things I'm most excited about and one that you don't hear people talk about a lot, is that ANet was pretty fast with expansions. There was one every 8 months, and those weren't just expansions, but also almost as large as the original game, with new classes and completely different mechanics.

So, now that they have the groundwork covered with GW2, the ANet designers could work on elaborating upon this base to even more elaborate concepts and deepening and enriching the Dynamic Events architecture.

To think that it'll be very like to see a huge continent-size expansion within the year, that'll probably also show how Cantha and Elona fared, that sounds pretty exciting to me as well.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

92k visitors.

I just want to point something out, considering GW2 doesn't have an actual forum, and TOR does, this could also give TOR an advantage, as most I would assume visit third party sites for their GW2 info, as well as are directed to third party sites to discuss and learn about GW2. A lot of people are directed to the TOR forum for game info.

Just a random thought...

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Sorry everything about this game says WIN.  I have never said anything of the sort and have Beta'ed everything remotely considred AAA since 2004 and the only other game I said would be a game changer was............you guessed it, WoW. 

Everything about ANet and GW2 screams innovation, fun and pride.  All the bull crap that is plauging the hello kitty, hand holding fiasco known as Themepark MMO's is being refined and the crap that honestly doesnt make sense is being removed.  No trinity, Check!  No raids, Check!  Linear leveling curve, Check!  No hand holding boring fed-ex quests, Check!  Buy to play, Check!

the list goes on, and mark my words, AAA developers over the next 5+ years will be coppying more from GW2 then from SWToR!!!  That is a fact!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Distopia

92k visitors.

I just want to point something out, considering GW2 doesn't have an actual forum, and TOR does, this could also give TOR an advantage, as most I would assume visit third party sites for their GW2 info, as well as are directed to third party sites to discuss and learn about GW2. A lot of people are directed to the TOR forum for game info.

Just a random thought...

Thats a good point to make.  Ive wondered why the dont have their own forums but then decided it must be because they realized other forums would inevitably pop up all over the net anyways so why mess with it? 

The largest spike, according to that chart is around 130k visitors during August of last year.  I figure not many return to the site itself once they've seen it.  Ive only hit it up twice or maybe three times, whenever they release a new class. 

But it would be nice if they did have their own forums. 

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Valentina

Hype. I want to love GW2 but it's really not any more next gen than anything else coming out.

Off topic:

I have a challenge for you and I am curious to see if I will finally get an answer! I want you to watch both the PAX east panel and the PAX GW2 event panel (the 10 videos listed on the right side of the youtube page I linked) they give a clear idea of the design of GW2 dynamic events.

After you get done watching both sets of videos, I want you to come back here and provide a link to a game that has everything in it that the Dynamic Events from GW2 has. Now do not provide me a link with only one or two things in it that game has to have everything in it. Since you stated "GW2 is not doing anything more than any other MMO that is coming out" that must mean you must know of another game with GW2 DEs in it. Also if you are going to come back and say Rift’s rift or WAR’s PQ do not bother because they do not have everything they talk about in those videos in those events. I am really interested in seeing the links to these other games!

On Topic:  I am looking forward to trying out the structured PVP in GW2, especially after reading the interview with djWHEAT saying he might cast GW2 along side of his casting of SC2. For an e-sport caster to say that ANet must be doing something right with their PVP system. Of course I am still way more excited to try WvWvW than structured PVP; my heart for PVP will always belong to DAOC and WvWvW might fill that itch.

92k visitors.

Just a random thought...

IIRC the guy who posted the link also posted the number 1 GW2 forum that everyone who wants to discuss GW2 via a forum uses, Guildwar2guru.com. It wasn't that enormous in number of visitors. But, personally I don't see how it matters that much, all these figures are merely pre-launch activity and interest, doesn't say much about launch and post-launch situation.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

the list goes on, and mark my words, AAA developers over the next 5+ years will be coppying more from GW2 then from SWToR!!!  That is a fact!

If it is something that happens in the future, then it isn't a fact, but a speculation or assumption, in this case your own.

People have often tried to sell speculations regarding future as 'fact' in the past, usually this was done by false prophets, charlatans and con men. In general, it doesn't do much good to someone's credibility when people try to sell their own idea about how the future will unfold as a 'fact' as if it's written in stone image

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

92k visitors.

Just a random thought...

IIRC the guy who posted the link also posted the number 1 GW2 forum that everyone who wants to discuss GW2 via a forum uses, Guildwar2guru.com. It wasn't that enormous in number of visitors. But, personally I don't see how it matters that much, all these figures are merely pre-launch activity and interest, doesn't say much about launch and post-launch situation.

If it is something that happens in the future, then it isn't a fact, but a speculation or assumption, in this case your own.

People have often tried to sell speculations regarding future as 'fact' in the past, usually this was done by false prophets, charlatans and con men. In general, it doesn't do much good to someone's credibility when people try to sell their own idea about how the future will unfold as a 'fact' as if it's written in stone image

As a long time MMO player, a Card, Pen and Paper, and Single Player RPG since the early 80's there is one thing I can predict WITHOUT fail.  Developers of all shapes and sizes, but particularly the fantasy genre are always copying other companys break throughs and innovations and shaping them to their own.  Hell its the reason why there is 98689867586 gazillion WoW clones on the market.

With that being said, please book mark  my post and come back in 2-5 years and see how right I am.  Notice I didnt say they would copy and be successful with GW2's mopdel, but by god as the sun sets in the west every day without fail then so will developers copy ALOt of the elements we will see in GW2.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I watched all his videos about GW2 on his youtube channel (IF you haven't, wacht it right now!) and I was blown away. The amount of detail is amazing, and the combat looks really good. Everything looks so.. finished. The features present are amazing as well.

I love Guild Wars for its horizontal progression so I really hope Guild Wars 2 will be a hybrid. And no or almost no raiding is fine for me, as I think it's flawed end game content. At least how it is done in previous MMORPGs. Don't get me wrong, I like dungeons. But raiding right now is.. raid for gear, can't get gear because you have bad rolls/whatever. FINALLY new gear, same over same over. After a year of raiding and nolifing, you are l33t. New expansionpack! First rare armor piece is 3 times better. Start all over. FLAWED.

And I don't know who said about an expansion every 6 months for $40/$50. That's just untrue. EVEN if that would be true, it's still cheaper than a subscription based game. Because 12 x $12/$15 = $144/$180. And they really won't release an expansion every 6 months, and if they do, not for $40 or $50.

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

As a long time MMO player (snips)

That still doesn't make it a fact, it's still just a speculation, call it an educated guess if you like. Guesses and speculations do not equal facts, it's really as simple as that, which is what I was saying.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

As a long time MMO player, a Card, Pen and Paper, and Single Player RPG since the early 80's there is one thing I can predict WITHOUT fail.  Developers of all shapes and sizes, but particularly the fantasy genre are always copying other companys break throughs and innovations and shaping them to their own.  Hell its the reason why there is 98689867586 gazillion WoW clones on the market.

With that being said, please book mark  my post and come back in 2-5 years and see how right I am.  Notice I didnt say they would copy and be successful with GW2's mopdel, but by god as the sun sets in the west every day without fail then so will developers copy ALOt of the elements we will see in GW2.

I read a blog or article a few years ago, it was about common forum statements. This was in the top 5 of those statements. I wish I could remember where it was.

Why is it so common? Because what you're predicting is something that is a common part of everyday game development, this is how games have always been and always will be. 

You're making no revelation here, you're speaking the inevitable outcome of any new formula. This would be the case regardless of how successful GW2 is overall. They have a good idea, Dynamic world content will be reproduced, there's no question about it. Just like trinity based quest oriented games will still be reproduced.

Lets look at the evolution of this idea. We can argue about how similar or not these events are to WAR's implementation of world public quests. That really is of no importance, the only thing to take away from that would be, this was an area of inevitable exploration in the MMO genre. Bringing the world to life by way of a constant turn of events in the world.  You really can look at past MMO's and see how this idea has evolved. One place to look for a realistic dynamic world was Ryzom. Herds moved and migrated realistically. THis added a level of realism often not seen in MMO worlds.

There was a pretty good concept shown in a few games that never made it to market, most notably to me was BC. Which wanted to offer a very deep world element and gameplay based on survival in it.

WAR with it's public quests paved the way for more of a focus in this area. As did RIFT. While each implementation of this philosphy is completely different they all share a few common goals. Most importantly though, instead of offering standard quest based game-play, they wanted to take a more worldly approach to creating a fun environment (or certain content). In short, again this is just a part of MMO evolution, if it wasn't Anet who did it this way, it would have been someone else, I gaurantee it.

As for other elements of GW2

Soft trinity has already been explored so that really isn't something exactly new. Many skilled based games have been based on a soft hybrid trinity some class based as well. Again as with most things devs have taken a different approach to the same thing. A-net will have their own as well.

Single-player RPG within an MMO? Funcom had this idea and for a long time. Originally AOC was meant to have a true single player experience all the way up to level 20, which was changed later to how tortage was at launch. Of course this has been a major selling point to TOR, since it's inception. Another inevitable approach to MMOs.

Note: I'm not saying that GW2 isn't doing many new things. I'm only saying if they didn't do it someone else would have eventually. I for one am glad we're getting it now rather than later.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• luedienielluedieniel Member Posts: 4

Thats just silly, so if someone has an idea then he gets lucky because someone else has to come up with the same idea later anyway? That can't in any feasonable way be proved, humor me and give it a shot tho.

Because I can.