Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lone wolf viable to start?

xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

I have been really curious about UO for a couple of years. I tried the free trial once for a short time, but was turned off by the graphics. That's stupid and superficial, I know now, and I want to give it a real try looking at the game itself and what it is. 

I hope I've *matured* a bit as a gamer and I want a deep and open world to explore and other players to meet and interact with who are hopefully more mature than the usual people you meet in a lot of the big popular games. 

My basic questions are:

1. Is a lone wolf play-style viable to start with? I don't know how much time I will be able to commit and I feel kind of pressured in a guild right off the bat. Like in Darkfall, it was almost necessary to join a clan to survive and prosper. I don't want to feel like I need to be in a guild. And I'm not in a hurry to level up. I'm more of an explorer type.

2. Do you recommend a specific shard ? I'm not averse to PvP, but I don't like continuous and senseless ganking. 

3. Is UO full-loot ffa pvp on the pvp server?

4. Is there a central place (a specific wiki) that is best to read up and study UO?

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by xBludx

I have been really curious about UO for a couple of years. I tried the free trial once for a short time, but was turned off by the graphics. That's stupid and superficial, I know now, and I want to give it a real try looking at the game itself and what it is. 

I hope I've *matured* a bit as a gamer and I want a deep and open world to explore and other players to meet and interact with who are hopefully more mature than the usual people you meet in a lot of the big popular games. 

My basic questions are:

1. Is a lone wolf play-style viable to start with? I don't know how much time I will be able to commit and I feel kind of pressured in a guild right off the bat. Like in Darkfall, it was almost necessary to join a clan to survive and prosper. I don't want to feel like I need to be in a guild. And I'm not in a hurry to level up. I'm more of an explorer type.

2. Do you recommend a specific shard ? I'm not averse to PvP, but I don't like continuous and senseless ganking. 

3. Is UO full-loot ffa pvp on the pvp server?

4. Is there a central place (a specific wiki) that is best to read up and study UO?

Thanks in advance. 

1.) You will be fine as a lone wolf and you never have to join a guild if you don't want to.

2.) I recommend the Atlantic shard as it is very populated. You also never have to pvp if you stay in Trammel.

3.) Yes and no. It is full loot in Felucia but if you use insurance on your items they can't be looted. So, just insure you stuff and don't go to Felucia. Problem solved

$.) uo.com used to be full of information but the site seems to be under contruction as of late. I recommend going to http://uo.stratics.com/ . That will give you all the information you will ever need.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Fully agree with the above poster.

And I would like to add, that as long as you are a friendly mature acting person the community is usually MORE then helpful. I played this game for 4 years from launch, I tried going back recently (sadly with a brand new account) unfortunantly the game was still as amazing as ever, but I had just literally played until I can never play again.  But the time I did spend had me making friends with some people that were SO helpful, I literally spent hours and hours being helped, chatting and trained on the new stuff to the point I had to lie that "it was time for bed", and logged on my money making character lol..

In short, regardless of server (mine was Sonoma, and yes fairly deserted although far from dead) most people are friendly, older (irl) people that are social gamers on a level that does not even exist in MMOs anymore. 

Not to say that EVERYONE is nice but ya know.. in general in my experience.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Also, if you do start a character on Atlantic send me a PM on here with your characters name and ICQ # or some other way to contact you. I will set you up with some nice start equipment and a little cash to get you on your feet.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Thank you for your responses, Fodell and Quentin.

When my schedule settles down a bit (starting new semester), I will look into it. I like to read up on starting a character and get a basic orientation to the world.  

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Whatever you do, don't listen to majority of the people that complain that UO just isn't the same anymore.  It's like listening to old people talk about how the world is different.  Yes, it is different.  But that is by no means a bad thing.

UO is still very much the most developed and mature game around in the MMO world.  People are extemely helpful in game; I had a guy help me out for about an hour hooking me up with items that make traveling a lot eaiser.  Trust me, I rarely run acorss someone that is rude in the game.  Look past the graphics and you will see a game very welcoming to someone that wants a world to play in, rather than a game. 

Also, I would not recommend a 'player-run-server' aka 'free sever.'  They lack community and just do not feel the same. 

Overall, just enjoy the game when you start.  If you have any questions just contact us here or go to uo.stratics.com, that place is a gold mine of information.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376

Originally posted by MaeEye

Whatever you do, don't listen to majority of the people that complain that UO just isn't the same anymore.  It's like listening to old people talk about how the world is different.  Yes, it is different.  But that is by no means a bad thing.

UO is still very much the most developed and mature game around in the MMO world.  People are extemely helpful in game; I had a guy help me out for about an hour hooking me up with items that make traveling a lot eaiser.  Trust me, I rarely run acorss someone that is rude in the game.  Look past the graphics and you will see a game very welcoming to someone that wants a world to play in, rather than a game. 

Also, I would not recommend a 'player-run-server' aka 'free sever.'  They lack community and just do not feel the same. 

Overall, just enjoy the game when you start.  If you have any questions just contact us here or go to uo.stratics.com, that place is a gold mine of information.

The difference is by no means a bad thing but surely you can see the reason some of us might prefer the original experience rather than what it's evolved into today. Whether out of nostalgia (I know it's the most useless emotion) or simply an inability to enjoy the game with addition of some new feature or removal of an old one. I particularly dislike that there is more focus around finding powerful items nowadays in UO. Sure, I can see how it could definately add to the game for some and, realistically, with as long as the game has been around changes are inevitable or else the experience gets stale even for the old players.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by MaeEye

If you have any questions just contact us here or go to uo.stratics.com, that place is a gold mine of information.

I just added this to bookmarks. Thanks.

About the old UO experience, I really can't say anything or know anything because I never really played before. I can only take the game for what it is now.

Actually, I did roll up a ninja and managed to kill 1 skeleton and loot 33 gold (yea!). I am still figuring out the UI. I don't care much about graphics. There is a 14-day free trial, but I have wasted a lot of it. I realize that I need to spend more time reading up on the game for various commands and such.

I'm playing from East Asia. I tried some shards based in Japan and Korea (where I am) at 31ms, but sometimes, it seems laggy. The west coast shards are running about 171ms for me but I haven't tried to play on them yet. Also, I saw people speaking Japanese on the Japan server (makes sense...duh) so language is another issue that overides server performance. I wouldn't think UO would be too demanding on the computer though, or that lag would be a real issue. I don't know if it's lag. Does anyone have any idea about this?

I think my 14 days is going to run out, and at some point I will just need to drop a months sub fee and get into the game. From my brief experience running to trainers and figuring out how to enter combat mode, I realized I need to read up a bit on the game and focus on it. I've grown used to just jumping in and having a hand-holding tutorial. 

Darkfall had (has?) a very awkward UI that made me run away screaming at first. But once I realized I wanted to try the game, I just buckled down and focused on it and it wasn't a problem any more. I think this will be the case with UO once I set aside the time to really learn how to play. That's kind of a new concept for me and I'm looking forward to it.