Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG 2??

13»

Comments

• Imohtep316Imohtep316 Member Posts: 22

hehe just making this post reborn...post any updates u have of bioware's next mmo (swg 2 plzz)

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I posted this in the pub earlier [FULL THREAD HERE http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/151383 ]:

To get things rolling....I thought I'd start a summary dedicated to watching the BioWare MMO... feel free to add info I may have missed / as more becomes known and lrt me know if I made any mistakes!

-On March 13, 2006, BioWare announced that they opened a new studio in Austin, Texas headed by industry veterans Gordon Walton and Richard Vogel, which is already working on developing an MMORPG.

-Gordon Waltin worked on Star Wars Galaxies

-Development started December 2005 [Gordon Walton]

-Due out in 2009 [Bill Dalton of BioWare]

-BioWare has adopted StreamBase's Stream Processing Engine. StreamBase has previously provided Complex Event Processing software to many leading financial institutions as well as the government and military sectors. 

-BioWare Austin will use HeroEngine for development of its new MMO project.

-EA announced an agreement with Elevation Partners to acquire VG Holding Corp, owners of both BioWare and Pandemic Studios

-BioWare maintains almost total secrecy about their MMO, thud no setting/IP has been either announced, confirmed or denied

Some Quotes:

-"The key points that we're gonna do that no one's done before in an MMOG are bring story, character, and emotion to it. Decisions matter, [non-player characters] aren't just Pez dispensers, and you're not in a grind," Rich Vogel

-StreamBase is designed to process enormous amounts of real-time information at blindingly fast speeds, making it an ideal platform for delivering a rich online gaming experience for thousands of players simultaneously," said Barry Morris, Chairman and CEO of StreamBase.

-"After we evaluated the StreamBase CEP software, we quickly realized that partnering with them would cut our server development costs by multiple man years," said Bill Dalton of BioWare

-"At BioWare we selected HeroEngine because it had the most sophisticated and complete development tools available for building an amazing online experience; Our team wanted a great rapid prototyping environment and to work with experienced MMO developers. The HeroEngine from Simutronics is a perfect fit for BioWare Austin's requirements." said Gordon Walton

-"We want to bring a level of storytelling that's equal to the single-player box games that BioWare has done. I think we can do that. One of the big challenges will be making our storytelling work in an environment that has multiple players." Creative Director James Ohlen

-“One thing we don't want to do is NPC Pez dispensers, as I call them -- go over there, dispense a quest, and then go "vacuum-clean" a zone. We want to make sure you listen to NPCs, because choices matter. And that's really important.” Richard Vogel

SPECULATION:

-Citi's Brent Thill predicts that BioWare is quietly working on a Star Wars MMO. He says that this would be a "strong positive" for the EA, one that "bolsters [its] MMO exposure

Elikal added:

- Riccitiello  used to work for EA, left and co-founded Elevation Partners, which in 2005 bought BioWare. Now, he is back at EA as the CEO and bought BioWare back from his old company. (You cant serve God and the Mammon, ahd he knows whom he serves, apparently.)
    - in one of the recent interviews on Gamespot with one of those responsible guys, Ray Myzuka, said, the Bioware MMO "got all the characters and story arc that BioWare is known for"

www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/news.html
    - EA has so far vaporized almost all corporations it acquired, and most game series and traditions were not taken up: Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander), Westwood (Lands of Lore, only Command & Conquer is continued), Bullfrog (Dungeon Keeoper), Maxis (Sim City and Sims all now are just "EA".)
    -------------------- SW isn't likely, but BioWare could be our New Hope ;)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• jepehaljepehal Member Posts: 1

the game i believe you all are talking about is star wars the old republic. it is being made by bio ware. if you just search star wars the old republic theres a whole site. at some where else i heard swg is shuting down and thats when star wars the old republic.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

Holy Batman

This must be a new Necro record.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by MarlonB

Holy Batman

i agree the responder should get a special award for this =)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Lol, that original poster is 4 years behind the times, no, hangon
  • grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by chelan

Holy Batman

Can they still hear us in '07? image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by grunt187

Originally posted by chelan

Holy Batman

Can they still hear us in '07? image

yes they can, so keep it down to a whisper, will ya? it spooks the natives.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

False rumours are false even after so many years.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Time to put the poor  necroed thread back to rest.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.