Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera will use Chronoscrolls ?

2»

Comments

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Sounds to me like the devs are using this as a means to make extra money off of players buying subscriptions they won't actually use. This worked in EVE because the free market economy ensured players were willing to trade exorbitant amounts of ISK, but there's no guarantee that the amount of gold people would be willing to pay for Chronoscrolls is anywhere near worth the monetary cost of buying one from the developer's website.

If I wanted to buy gold, I would still do it through a goldseller. I don't need a middleman to jack up the price by an enormous amount.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by snapfusion

Huh?  Have I missed something or did these guys just make everyone in the game a gold seller and allow everyone in the game to buy gold from someone else, didnt Trion just make themselfs the biggest gold seller?  Buy your "cough" scroll from us and sell it for gold!!  Oh and by the way you can use it for gametime.  Ha ha right.

Funny how they need 20 paragraphs to explain they are now selling gold to their customer base directly and has turned everyone in the game into a gold seller thereby swarting the evil third wold gold farmers.

you dont buy the gold... you pay for someone else's subscription for their gold there is a difference...

at first when eve implemented it i thought oh shit this is it... but honestly it didnt destroy the economy, some people with lots of time could play for free and people with less time can get the isk people with lots of time farmed for paying their subs...

its a brilliant system... that stops 

(BUY CHEAP GOLD 1USD$ for BAGILLION GOLD at www.(insertgoldspamadress).com)

and so on

it also limits the inflation of ressources/gold/items that get farmed 23/7 for the soul purpose of selling it and making a profit so someone can drive a fancy car.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Vryheid

Sounds to me like the devs are using this as a means to make extra money off of players buying subscriptions they won't actually use. This worked in EVE because the free market economy ensured players were willing to trade exorbitant amounts of ISK, but there's no guarantee that the amount of gold people would be willing to pay for Chronoscrolls is anywhere near worth the monetary cost of buying one from the developer's website.

If I wanted to buy gold, I would still do it through a goldseller. I don't need a middleman to jack up the price by an enormous amount.

If players can demand whatever amount of gold they want for a scroll then gold farmers would always be cheaper to use since some people will prefer to use the scrolls since its "safer" and others will continue to use gold farmers because you will get more gold for your dollar.

I just see it as a safer way for players to buy gold in game and an additional revenue source for EnMasse as people buy them trade them for gold and still pay for a sub.

edit:  Someone explained that when you trade the scroll it adds time to you account, so scratch point two here but EnMasse is still finding a way to get people to prepay there sub by dangling the gold carrot out in front of them.

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Huh?  Have I missed something or did these guys just make everyone in the game a gold seller and allow everyone in the game to buy gold from someone else, didnt Trion just make themselfs the biggest gold seller?  Buy your "cough" scroll from us and sell it for gold!!  Oh and by the way you can use it for gametime.  Ha ha right.

Funny how they need 20 paragraphs to explain they are now selling gold to their customer base directly and has turned everyone in the game into a gold seller thereby swarting the evil third wold gold farmers.

you dont buy the gold... you pay for someone else's subscription for their gold there is a difference...

at first when eve implemented it i thought oh shit this is it... but honestly it didnt destroy the economy, some people with lots of time could play for free and people with less time can get the isk people with lots of time farmed for paying their subs...

its a brilliant system... that stops 

and so on

it also limits the inflation of ressources/gold/items that get farmed 23/7 for the soul purpose of selling it and making a profit so someone can drive a fancy car.

Sorry to drag this on but my point is that isnt this nothing more that a way for EnMasse to get people to pre pay their sub in exchange for gold?  And when people prepay for something they havent used the company makes more money sooner?And prevents people from quiting when their sub is up next month because its prepaid.  And how many people will quit with prepaid time still on the books/    Think of the gift card business where billions of prepaid gift cards go unused.

To me its the same thing.  How would you like to run a business where people pay for something long before they use it?  I would.  Thats what EnMasse is doing.  And why would gold sellers go away of they could give you more gold for your dollars than a scroll.  I still see two markets here people that want to buy gold safely using scrolls and people that want more gold for their dollar using gold sellers.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

If players can demand whatever amount of gold they want for a scroll then gold farmers would always be cheaper to use since some people will prefer to use the scrolls since its "safer" and others will continue to use gold farmers because you will get more gold for your dollar.

I just see it as a safer way for players to buy gold in game and an additional revenue source for EnMasse as people buy them trade them for gold and still pay for a sub.

Who cares if the company makes a little more money they normanlly would not see due to these scrolls !   Better to have the company & players profit in stead of gold companies.

Your argument tends to support gold sellers, at least thats what it looks like to me.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

Who cares if the company makes a little more money they normanlly would not see due to these scrolls !   Better to have the company & players profit in stead of gold companies.

Your argument tends to support gold sellers, at least thats what it looks like to me.

My arguement is soley against the person that says EnMasse doesnt stand to make any EXTRA money off this and that gold sellers would go away.  Both to me seem false. 

And i think both parties have a right to do what they do but lets not pretend both dont revolve around making more money and try  to wrap it around some politically correct solution for gold farmers.

• TheRebellionTheRebellion Member UncommonPosts: 48

i don't disagree, but if this cuts the gold sellers by 1/2 to 3/4 and a majority of the money that would be going into those types of companies goes to EnMasse instead, I don't see a problem. Some people are ALWAYS going to buy items or currency, and in most games they do it illegally. I would much rather have that money going to better the game, or at least keep the servers running and patched, then to fund more development for bots/scam sites.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350

Huh?  Have I missed something or did these guys just make everyone in the game a gold seller and allow everyone in the game to buy gold from someone else, didnt Trion just make themselfs the biggest gold seller?  Buy your "cough" scroll from us and sell it for gold!!  Oh and by the way you can use it for gametime.  Ha ha right.

That's not how it works.  Rather, suppose that we both play the game and make a deal that I'll pay your monthly subscription for next month if you give me 1 million gold in-game.  That doesn't create or destroy any gold, so it doesn't cause hyperinflation.  What chronoscrolls do is to facilitate that sort of transaction between players.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

This sounds a bit silly to me. What's to stop people from purchasing gold, to buy a scroll, basically paying the sub fees but at a lower cost? Gold sellers aren't just bot programs, there are people behind those bots making intelligent marketing decisions. If, for instance, a game costs 15 a month to play, and you can spent that 15 on a scroll that extends the month instead, they could simply adjust their gold prices to make it more cost effective to buy their gold and trade it for subscription time, rather than buy sub time from the company itself.

If there was ever a prime example of shooting yourself in the foot, this sounds like it would be the one.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• TheRebellionTheRebellion Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

This sounds a bit silly to me. What's to stop people from purchasing gold, to buy a scroll, basically paying the sub fees but at a lower cost? Gold sellers aren't just bot programs, there are people behind those bots making intelligent marketing decisions. If, for instance, a game costs 15 a month to play, and you can spent that 15 on a scroll that extends the month instead, they could simply adjust their gold prices to make it more cost effective to buy their gold and trade it for subscription time, rather than buy sub time from the company itself.

If there was ever a prime example of shooting yourself in the foot, this sounds like it would be the one.

So you think that people would risk their account being banned to save $2 a month?

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

This idea its dull, the true meaning its:  They have servers on korea full of bots (call it invasion bot goldsellers spam ...), and they couldnt stop it (ok , call it lazyness or proffit sink, anything they will never tell us), and they thought this idea about chronoscrolls..

If the game was working fine (good income, healthy server poppulation), but things was outcontrolled (spam, goldsellers, bots), they would use people (i.e. real people as GM's ingame live), thats the way to combat against goldsellers and bots , but its expensive, and they are almost broke, so they had a genius idea about chronoxitscrolls.

Anyway they are really in dickmulshit, the game had a nice combat system behind but policies and shareholders make it fail in korea as no other game (with this amount of money involved) , now they want to fix here and there but the injury its already done

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Originally posted by TheRebellion

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

So you think that people would risk their account being banned to save $2 a month?

Exactly!

This is what the chronoscrolls provide. And in order for RMTers to sell their gold, they would have to drasticly undercut the chronoscroll market, and even if people do take a risk and buy RMT gold, not all people will, and so RMT profits go down.