Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

200 hours of gameplay per class?

1235»

Comments

• Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

Not to mention that is just one faction. If you were to go from playing a republic class to playing a sith class then there is no repeated content from one faction to the other at all.

It really is difficult to wrap ones head around just how much content they really are cramming into this game.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by cyress8

Originally posted by mmonooblet

Originally posted by Creslin321

1600 hours of gameplay is fairly ridiculous unless they are counting in tons of grinding or something.  I don't see how they could have possibly developed enough content for 1600 of gameplay, that's insane.  Single player RPGs that take years to develop normally only have 60 hours of gameplay.

That's just one of the many reasons so many of us are looking forward to this game.  The amount of content here is truly revolutionary.  They have specifically stated that this does NOT include raiding and pvp, it's story specific gameplay.

Story specific gameplay that can be padded down with redundancy? Some story lines can easily be reused with tweaks here and there to give it a feel of being different. Hopefully, they can keep it to a minimum.

Yeah I just can't realistically see them having 1600 hours of completely unique story based gameplay that is similar in quality to a single player RPG.  It just seems impossible given what I know about the game industry.

My suspicion is that if there really is 200 hours of story gameplay per class, then there must be a lot of "overlap" between classes.  I know that each class has its unique story, but maybe some of them share several missions?

Oh god you just brought back the memories of DA2 reusing the environment........oh god......*hides in horror

*walks back out of the cave

yep that was horrible, lets hope SWTOR isn't this low.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

This explaination is broken into two parts seperated by the red text. The first part will be a short version while below that red text is the long version.

From the way i understand it from what I know. it works out in three ways

Way 1: sometimes you will be in your own personal instance, This is usually used to tell a part of a story that has great changes, like killing a person or burning down a house.

Way 2: You go into a cave to get a datacron for a person

Way 3: You grab a piece of bone

Now Way 1 is meant to be unique to you, you and  your group are the only ones who can get it.  These are very likely to be tailor designed to your story and decisions.

Way 2 and 3 are in the open world the differnce is Way 2 is likely to take you to a different cave then the other classes while Way 3 will take you to the same cave as other classes

Which means in some cases you'll end up paired with 2 or 3 other classes going into a cave. Now you may be going into the cave for a bone but they may be going into that same cave for a different reason.

Plus that 200 hours includes travel time, average time to complete missions.  IT's still a lot but then again MMOs are suppose to take a long time.

These quests are the main form of leveling up so they took the lion share of time to develop.  They also stated a while back that each planet would be hand made, so no reusing of textures... so take that for what you will.

Above is the short version, if you understand how that goes, feel free to disregard the rest that follows. If your still confused, the next part will try and explain it in even greater detail.

So basically this is how three personal story quests could work out

Way 1: You run through a personal barrier and talk to Max. Max tells you that Andrew is taking stuff from Max's house and he wants you to get it back.  You run back through the personal barrier back into the open world.  You get to Andrew's house which is also surrounded by a green barrier.  Running through the barrier you now see the estate is guarded.  You blast through all the estates driods and get the goods back.  While you are there you see a self destruct button for the house.  You decide to activate it.  When you leave the estate blows up (and you get dark sided points) as you cross that green barrier around Andrew's estate.  You cross the green barrier surrounding Max's estate and recieve a very generous reward, but then you discover that not all was returned, Andrew still has one more piece and Max needs it back. So you leave Max's estate by going through the green barrier into the open world and trek back to Andrew's estate, once again passing through the green barrier around Andrew's estate. This time you see the burnt wreckage that was Andrew's estate and Andrew in the center. Obviously he knows it was you, so he sends his 4 robot guards and himself after you. After you defeat him you loot the last piece, you run back through the green barrier around Andrew's estate and end back up in the open world. You trek back to Max's estate, you pass through the green barrier that surrounds Max's estate and talk to Max. he thanks you and rewards you a second time and tells you that he recieved a message that your master needs to speak with you.  You leave Max's house through the green barrier again that takes you back into the open world and you run to where your master is.

That is way 1, you'll notice that the estate is burnt down the second time you entered the instance because of your choices. Now for way 2.

You are told by Lisa to gather an artifact from the Sissin Cave.  It's out in the northern desert. Traveling all the way out there you find the cave and begin working your way into that cave. You happen across another person (not grouped but same class) also making his way into the cave, You decide to pair up and beat the person at the end, each getting your own share of the loot and the quest specific item.  You break off and each return back to Lisa to get your reward.

In this case you can see the other people even if they aren't in your group, but you are unlikely to see other classes there unless they are there to help so this cave is designed specificlly for your class but not neccessarly for your specific choices as you could be sent to this particular cave several times (though to different parts). In this case really only your class has a reason to go in there, it's pointless for other classes to go there unless they are helping you, to trek to these caves on purpose. 

Now for way 3.

You are told by George that you need to take down a fort of bandits because they are harrassing a group of young padawans in their training. As you are enroute you notice a group of 3 other adventures (for this example lets say they are one of each of the other classes). You decide it's better to go as a team rather then brave it alone.  You go into the area and your quest updates to take down the leader. You hear from your team mates that one needs a crate of plastic explosives, the other need some documents, while the third is looking for a lightsaber crystal. While you all fight you manage to get the light saber crystal, the documents and the crate of plastic explosives and finally you all take down the leader. Leaving each person breaks off and goes to their seperate quest person to turn in.

Now while all three of these could have been accomplished by yourself.  You'll see the difference. Sometimes you are sent into an area only you and your group can get to. Sometimes you'll be in an area designed for your class alone. While others are social type areas where all classes will be sent to, of course the last two take place in the persistant world so they can hold several people. Not just yourself.  While each quest is unique to your class and choices and how the NPC's react may be different, the areas themselves may not be. In the case of the leader of the pirate camp there may be a green barrier surrounding his door that upon entering sends you and your team into that private instance where this badit leader knows what you've done.

So there isn't 1600 hours of unique dungeons, NPC interaction and voice overs and quest objectives, some areas will be shared by other people in your class (that may not be on the same step, this may be their 3rd time in this cave while it's your first) and by other people of other classes which may be there for completely different reason from your own. Heck one of them may be working for the bandit that your trying to take down.

So the story lines aren't shared but some of the areas may be. Hope that helps. If you guys need any further assistance or explained different let me know.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• SaferSaviourSaferSaviour Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Why does it always have to be GW2 vs SWTOR? They will be very different experiences, both with pluses over existing MMOs.

GW2 is free to play after you buy the box, so many players will buy it and try it out. I know I will be playing GW2. But I will not be playing GW2 for the personal story. I have no interest in the story for GW2. But I do have a lot of interest in SW stories as well as the game world in TOR.

So yes, after many months of TOR , I will play GW2 for the dynamic events and a change of pace. But I will continue to play TOR as well as purchase expansions. Ofc, it will depend on how the end game progresses in TOR and the communtiy, but I will continue whatever stories in expansions that TOR will  released.

The reason it's always GW2 vs. TOR is because they're the biggest, most hyped MMOs in development right now. These are the games which are going to have the biggest, most successful launches and many MMO gamers looking for something new, exciting and fresh have pinned their hopes on one or both of these games. I want both to do well, but that doesn't mean neither have any flaws and we can learn things by comparing the two.

I do believe Bioware's personal stories will more engaging and involving than those of GW2, but GW2 simply has more gameplay content to keep me interested. Dynamic events are a part of that but only one part of it and ultimately, I think the combat looks much more fun in GW2 than in TOR. Still, if both games get good support post-release, I think they'll be in it for the long haul.

"Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right. This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!"

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by SaferSaviour

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Why does it always have to be GW2 vs SWTOR? They will be very different experiences, both with pluses over existing MMOs.

GW2 is free to play after you buy the box, so many players will buy it and try it out. I know I will be playing GW2. But I will not be playing GW2 for the personal story. I have no interest in the story for GW2. But I do have a lot of interest in SW stories as well as the game world in TOR.

So yes, after many months of TOR , I will play GW2 for the dynamic events and a change of pace. But I will continue to play TOR as well as purchase expansions. Ofc, it will depend on how the end game progresses in TOR and the communtiy, but I will continue whatever stories in expansions that TOR will  released.

The reason it's always GW2 vs. TOR is because they're the biggest, most hyped MMOs in development right now. These are the games which are going to have the biggest, most successful launches and many MMO gamers looking for something new, exciting and fresh have pinned their hopes on one or both of these games. I want both to do well, but that doesn't mean neither have any flaws and we can learn things by comparing the two.

I do believe Bioware's personal stories will more engaging and involving than those of GW2, but GW2 simply has more gameplay content to keep me interested. Dynamic events are a part of that but only one part of it and ultimately, I think the combat looks much more fun in GW2 than in TOR. Still, if both games get good support post-release, I think they'll be in it for the long haul.

I agree.  I think I'm going to enjoy TOR much like a enjoy a single player RPG.  I'll play TOR until I complete one or two story archs and then unsub.  But for MMORPG fun, it looks like GW2 is probably going to me the one for me.  Unless the hype is totally off :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

1600 hours of unique gameplay!!

This is so exciting, can't wait to preorder the game!

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by mmorpgbro

No one claimed that and if you read the interview posted by Distopia not even Bioware clailmed 200 hour of content per class. And you also haven't show me posts where fans claim that SWTOR has 1600 unique gameplay per class.

I am waiting.

• mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Supersoups

No one claimed that and if you read the interview posted by Distopia not even Bioware clailmed 200 hour of content per class. And you also haven't show me posts where fans claim that SWTOR has 1600 unique gameplay per class.

I am waiting.

Just read the post lol.

Heres 3 quotes

Originally posted by Isane

Originally posted by popinjay

EA: '200 hours of gameplay per class' in SWTOR

Says excluding "crafting, raiding and multiplayer (pvp)" content.

If true, this is pretty exciting stuff.

200 *8 = 1600 hours, 4 hours a night 1600/28.

Playing 4 hours a night with all teh variety within the classes thats about 57 weeks of gameplay at release without distractions.

Thats a lot of gameplay probably years of gameplay for someone who has a life.

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick.

SWTOR with a net time of 200 gameplay hours or 'plural hundreds' per class fits right in that list, and that's purely the Class Quest content and the bare requirements for leveling. The alt leveling experience promises to be more different and unique than in most other MMO's though, with a lot more fresh/new content that you'll experience while leveling.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

I wonder if that includes all the hours of voice-overs.

No, it's exactly 1600 hours.  The guy who rushes through it and the guy who afk's for one minute less than 1600 hours are going to finish up at the same exact time.

Like i said, fanboys have been misinforming people.

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Supersoups

I am waiting.

This is months old though, many believed it to be the case back then due to certain wording by devs. WHich lead to the breakdowns offered by Daniel Erickson.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

I wa asking for some factual info based on what Bioware said not quote of posts where people are trying to pass their opinions as facts. 

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Let's not necro old threads, please. Thanks! Locking this up.

This discussion has been closed.