Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mmorpg? Really?

2»

Comments

• EtherniaEthernia Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by servedogg

Originally posted by Archeminos

Ok someone has ot ask this, might as well be me....

Why in the name of all that is holy DOES THIS MATTER?! :D Does it affect anything at all how it is classified by this site?

It matters because if I ask a friend to recommend a good MMO and they say LoL I might just end up kicking him in the nuts for such a stupid answer.

Funny you should say that...

I've recommended many friends that i've met in other mmo's to play LoL and guess what? they love it.

Just like the games mmorpg covers, mmorpg is constantly changing, evolving, it seems some of the readers here should consider doing the same.

Also, what is wrong with your favourite mmo site recieving more money?, it isn't like LoL is taking the spot of something else, if you don't want to read it, then don't.

Don't go making a mountain out of a molehill.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by BoA*

Originally posted by Odhelm

Dont see how this game could enter this site when its an hardcore strategy game.. Or is fantasy enough to make it as an mmorpg game? And if so, why the heck isnt Heroes of Newerh or Bloodline Champions included here also!? Hell, lets bring starcraft 1 & 2, Age of Empire, WarCraft, C&C and Total War in here as well :P

I agree with you, MOBA games shouldn't be on this site, but if they are going to be included the least they should do is include the other ones as well. Guess it pays to receive a little stipend from riot games.

I guess everyone has missed the article on why MOBA games are coming to this site. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/5352

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Why in the name of all that is holy DOES THIS MATTER?! :D Does it affect anything at all how it is classified by this site?

It matters because if I ask a friend to recommend a good MMO and they say LoL I might just end up kicking him in the nuts for such a stupid answer.

The term MMO has been used to refer to games that have very specific elements to them.  For instance, a large persistant world.  I don't see the point of changing the definition of MMO to mean "all online games" which is what adding LoL to the genre would do.  

There are more lobby based games calling themselves MMOs than what youre talking about.  Ofc this is all in the east but the truth is...Since MMORPGS became big, most of the casual users or the new gamers who got into those just assume that MMORPG = Online Game or MMO = online game.  This is what happens when mainstream hits.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

Technically it's an MMOBA (Massive Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) but, I think it counts enough to be here. As the most popular Free MMO, also an award winning very excellent, challenging game.

Why nit pick?

I love this game! More challenging than any mmo I've played. Way more fun than WoW or AO or Eve or anything of that nature...

I used to be a heavy WoW gamer but, it got to be so boring - any game where I login and see in public chat comments like "I'm bored" make me quit the game shortly after.

You'll hardly ever hear comments like that in league.

• OdhelmOdhelm Member Posts: 40

Call me stupid but I just can't see how "Massive Multiplayer Online" can even be a part of this game. Its an online multiplayer game, thats all there is.. nothing massive about it except that a lot of pepole is playing it! I would'nt refer Starcraft 2 as an MMORTS, its just an RTS with an online multiplayer function. Exactly as LoL is a MOBA. Period.

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

It really does depend on how you define what an MMORPG is...

If your list of stipulations includes things like a massive persistent world, NPCs to interact with for questing and content, and the ability to form groups with other players to experience that content with... then no, this might not qualify as an MMO.

But then again, if things like Guild Wars and Global Agenda and some of the MMORTS games out there qualify as MMOs, and as one poster mentioned, there IS some persistent progression in LoL through summoner masteries and runes... whos to say it cant fit somewhere in the genre's fringes.

I dunno...

I suppose the bigger question is "Who cares?" If the game is fun (which I personally find it to be), why does it matter if its a true MMO or not?

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Odhelm

Call me stupid but I just can't see how "Massive Multiplayer Online" can even be a part of this game. Its an online multiplayer game, thats all there is.. nothing massive about it except that a lot of pepole is playing it! I would'nt refer Starcraft 2 as an MMORTS, its just an RTS with an online multiplayer function. Exactly as LoL is a MOBA. Period.

ok yer stupid... per your request..

• BoA*BoA* Member UncommonPosts: 159

Originally posted by Mentat

Technically it's an MMOBA (Massive Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) but, I think it counts enough to be here. As the most popular Free MMO, also an award winning very excellent, challenging game.

Why nit pick?

I love this game! More challenging than any mmo I've played. Way more fun than WoW or AO or Eve or anything of that nature...

I used to be a heavy WoW gamer but, it got to be so boring - any game where I login and see in public chat comments like "I'm bored" make me quit the game shortly after.

"Technically," it's not really MASSIVE. You really never play with more then 9 other people, hence the M.O.B.A not M.M.O.B.A.

And to falcosmith I didn't ask why they're coming to this site, I just stated my opinion which is I don't see them belonging here, but if they are going to be featured here atleast be fair and feature all the other MOBAS as well.

• OdhelmOdhelm Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by BoA*

Originally posted by Mentat

Why nit pick?

"Technically," it's not really MASSIVE. You really never play with more then 9 other people, hence the M.O.B.A not M.M.O.B.A.

And to falcosmith I didn't ask why they're coming to this site, I just stated my opinion which is I don't see them belonging here, but if they are going to be featured here atleast be fair and feature all the other MOBAS as well.

Dont say that! Mentat is gonna think you are stupid to!! ;P

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Ethernia

Funny you should say that...

I've recommended many friends that i've met in other mmo's to play LoL and guess what? they love it.

Just like the games mmorpg covers, mmorpg is constantly changing, evolving, it seems some of the readers here should consider doing the same.

Also, what is wrong with your favourite mmo site recieving more money?, it isn't like LoL is taking the spot of something else, if you don't want to read it, then don't.

Don't go making a mountain out of a molehill.

I agree that LoL is a fun game and many players that enjoy MMORPGs also would enjoy LoL.  The problem is if I ask a friend to recommend a game in a certain genre and they give me something else unrelated I would question my friend's ability to listen.

I have no problem with mmorpg.com adding LoL to their website.  It's a smart move to add a popular game to the website to generate more traffic.  Just don't advertise it as something its not. 

There were many online games before the existence of MMOs, including lobby based games.  What distinguished MMOs from them was the "massive" worlds where players could interact.  There is nothing massive about LoL's world. 

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Seems as if advertising on MMORPG solves all "issues about listings" with games advertising here, much like this, and many other "What in the hell is this on MMORPG's list for..."

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/5489/Bill-Murphy-Should-We-Add-Diablo-3.html

Brings up even more "Oh what the hell...?" with MOBA games and Torchlight on here...

HAS to be because of past advertising they've done on the site..