Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disadvantage without companions?

I've read the sticky and I've read about them at other sites, but i didn't find an answer to this question.  So please don't respond with "use search" or  "do research", because i have, even if it was only around 10 minutes.  If that's being lazy, so be it.  I just haven't followed this game for months or years like some of you have.  And if anyone does find some answers, please link me to some sources.  Your searching skills might be more superior than mine.  (it's a little sad that i have to post this foreword so i don't get attacked by, rabid, forum fanboys. lol.)

I know we don't have to use them, but will we be at a disadvantage if we never use them?  This is seriously the only thing bothering me about this game.  I thought it wouldn't bother me in Dragon Age, but they did, and it's the reason i never finished the game.  I didn't like henchmen/heroes in GW1 either.  I just dislike having to micro-manage "pets".

Thanks in advance to those who answer.

Comments

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135

if you plan to do some soloing, you more than likey will be.

• AutorockAutorock Member UncommonPosts: 48

From what i've read, yes you would be at a disadvantage for solo PVE. However the instanced PVP doesn't allow companions, and you'd be at an advantage not using them in group PVE and filling your group with actual players.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by observer

I've read the sticky and I've read about them at other sites, but i didn't find an answer to this question.  So please don't respond with "use search" or  "do research", because i have, even if it was only around 10 minutes.  If that's being lazy, so be it.  I just haven't followed this game for months or years like some of you have.  And if anyone does find some answers, please link me to some sources.  Your searching skills might be more superior than mine.  (it's a little sad that i have to post this foreword so i don't get attacked by, rabid, forum fanboys. lol.)

I know we don't have to use them, but will we be at a disadvantage if we never use them?  This is seriously the only thing bothering me about this game.  I thought it wouldn't bother me in Dragon Age, but they did, and it's the reason i never finished the game.  I didn't like henchmen/heroes in GW1 either.  I just dislike having to micro-manage "pets".

Thanks in advance to those who answer.

If I was somehow forced to play dragon age without companions I would drive a very large knife through the center of my disc. Not because of the pain of managing, rather for the boredom of controlling a single character the entire game and having no one to make 3d  love with. You sir, have a very skewered mind set.

Make it so...

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

This question has indeed been answered multiple times, and yes you will be at a disadvantage. The 'official' response is that you are able (and capable) of soloing without companions, however the game is designed around the use of them and so without them, you will have to be that much more powerful to compensate.

It's sort of common sense, not to rag on you. Think of it like this; they create companions so people can use them, therefore monsters and content will be balanced with the mindset that people will have them. It's sort of like asking 'Can I play the game without armor?" Sure, you can, and some people even do just this when they're bored and want a challenge...but the game is balanced with appropriate equipment for that level range in mind, so without it, you will of course have difficult time.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Like the above poster said if you plan to solo then you will be at a disadvantage as this quote dictates

The game is not designed to be played without companions especially when your not in groups - Darth Hater

Now while in groups/flashpoints/warzones or raids you won't be as each either don't require it or don't allow it.

open PvP you will most likely be as others will likely be using their companions.

Your never ever required to take them with you, just be aware that you will be (as your title states0 at a disadvantage without them.

Now bare in mind that you can customize these companions to the point with the tatics window (ala DA) to where you barely even need to think they are there. BUt to be on even scale with enemies of an even level, not having the companion will put you at a disadvantage.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

as stated above, you want your companion....the thing i found out though while playing the game is that the companion AI is fairly well done. they arent overly retarded and can function on their own, so little management is required. i dunno about group play, since once the group fills up they automatically get put away, and there are no companions in the warzones. i havent been to an open pvp world yet to comment.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

You will be at a disadvantade w/o a companion. If your going to play a bounty hunter why not take a cool Jawa like blizz along! image

***Raving Rabbid shows Jaina Solo his mad plunger skills. She dances with him!******

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes