Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused about character creation

ConstantineConstantine Member Posts: 36
I finally tried EVE over a friend's house, he let me play for a bit with a character and see some of the sights. I've decided that I will buy the game, probably through the trial account program. It will be a little while until I do that because I'm on a business trip.

Since there's not really much to do out here when I'm not working, I've been reading guides for EVE. The two racial groups I like the most are the Amarr and the Gallente, so I'll probably make one of those. I want to have a fighter and a miner, because even though I love fighting (the fights I had playing my friend's character were very fun), mining is also kind of mellow, and I notice you make alot more money doing it. Can I reliably do both, or am I stuck with one or the other?

I'm also confused about attributes. I guess a given skill uses a primary and secondary attribute to calculate training time?

Can anyone suggest what kind of attributes I want to start with if I'm primarily a fighter and secondarily mining? Maybe even a good sample starting build for one of the races I'm interested in. It's alot to swallow and I don't totally understand what I'm doing, but since I have so much time I thought why not get a good idea?

Comments

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Hi Constantine.

There's a brilliant guide here which will cover most of your questions, save the document and open it in Wordpad or something similar.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=53301

• ConstantineConstantine Member Posts: 36

Thank you for the links. I found this character starter tool on eve-i that I've been playing with.

I guess the real trouble is that mining and fighting seem to require opposing skill sets. What number in a stat would you consider 'average' for a starting player? I don't really have anything to judge it by, but I'm thinking 6 or 7?

Also, would it be wise to beef up memory to begin with, and use it to increase learning skills faster, or will it not work out in the long run for a fighter?

• MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

actually a boost to memory wouldn't be a bad choice. I've found, however, that in the very long run (been playing over 2 years now) I wish I had more intelligence and perception since the combat skill tree is much larger than the production skill tree that I chose.

• ConstantineConstantine Member Posts: 36
    I've been playing with this starter tool on EVE-i, but I heard awhile ago that the Gallente and Caldari were getting new races. Did that ever happen?

And is there a website that shows a race's starting stats and what the bloodlines add to that?
  • MrPopovMrPopov Member Posts: 217

I think you can post on the official forums with a trial account, you may want to try that since you will get a lot more expsure there.

• pyros98pyros98 Member Posts: 267

I'll give my two cents on how to start your character.  While mining and fighting do require different attributes, they both require piloting ships (not being sarcastic).

So, What usually do is get as much perception and willpower (two most used attributes, especially for ship command skills) as possible.  Also, I follow the paths that allow me to start out with frigate lvl 4.  This doesn't matter what race you choose, you can start with frig lvl 4 (which allows you to fly all tech 1 frigates) from the start.

Unfortunately you'll start without the mining skill pre-requisites, but you won't have to waste a week training up to frigate lvl 4.  Once you get your basic skills for mining, focus on all the learning skills.  Get all your learning skills to at least lvl 3, this will dramatically reduce you training time in all skill trees...I'd almost suggest to train the all to lvl 4, but it depends on how patient you are.

Hope this helps.